• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Just because they are recognizable does not mean that their games will sell. Fire Emblem is a prime example of that. Ike got pushed by Nintendo in Smash Brothers yet.. like I told earlier, the games he was in sold piss poor. Speaking about another franchise that has an "iconic character". F-zeros peak in the sale was the GameCube title back in the day. Then they did two GBA titles with the last title released in 2004. Both of these titles sales numbers nosedived into oblivion and are the reasons there has not been an F-zero game in 15 years. Released in the golden era of Melee and to some degree Captain Falcon considering how popular he is to play in that specific game....

Making an assumption that people would just randomly check out a game because they "like it" is a rather naive sentiment. To go back to Fire Emblem. I was at an emulator site one day because I wanted to play Pokemon Crystal that I had borrowed out for a friend that was on a trip. Out of sheer luck, I saw "if you like this you might like that" and Fire Emblem was one of them. I downloaded it, played it and then did my best to track down a copy. That took months I might add.

This is the only known add that they did for Fire Emblem 7 (the first released FE game in the west) is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM-s5C0dnZs&ab_channel=XenoGear and they did not even push it in every country (nor is it any good I might add)

Later comes Path of Radiance which is the first installment of the story with Ike. Not a single add outside some picture in Nintendo Club Magazine. I was lucky to find it at a Game store at that time.

Shadow Dragon? There was no copy I could find for years because I missed the release date due to lack of information. I had to buy it on eBay to get a hold of it. Then they made New Mystery of Emblem and that became a Japanese exclusive because of how poor Shadow Dragon sold. Heck, I did not even know about Awakening because of a trailer that came out of nowhere. No introduction in a direct or something like that.

What I´m trying to say is.. if you want to push the games, you can´t rely on one thing only (in this cause Smash Brothers) to make the series bigger. Truth be told, I would argue that it would have been better to show off the DQ games at E3 no matter if the Square Enix character is Erdick or not. Then people know what type of game Dragon Quest is and you would have got the most eyes on it. To expect people to just randomly check out the game because Smash Bros is a naive business strategy no matter who and what franchise you're talking about. Pushing only the characters into peoples faces can annoy people more than anything which I have heard quite a lot for people about the Joker add.
First of all, I’m not saying an inclusion in Smash automatically equals more sales. It does equal exposure though, which is important. But I’m not saying it’s the only thing they need to do. It’ll just be one piece of a marketing campaign. Square and Nintendo definitely need to do more to push the game. I do remember hearing that we are getting more DQ news soon, so it’s likely DQ will be at e3 in some form.

Like I said earlier, nowadays newcomers receive a much more grand treatment and are pushed more to the public. If you look at Fire Emblem representation in Melee, it’s rather barebones. It improved in Brawl though. And It’s interesting to note that post-brawl’s release the next mainline entry was Awakening.

It is not naive to assume that a smash bros inclusion would lead to more exposure of the franchise. It is however, naive to act like that is the only thing they’d do. That’s not even what I was trying to argue. If the character/franchise has no/little exposure, how the hell would you expect a game to sell? It’s just a step in the right direction

Teeb147

Smash Legend
And how is the lack of information any difference between that of Fire Emblem with everything I just pointed out? Sure, some people got aware of Erdick due to the leak but that´s the hardcore only. The ones that are the vast minority of the fanbase. Smash Bros can only do so much.. Its, not an instant money maker that makes "insert franchise here" as soon as you get into Smash Brothers. I mean, Isaac got a big following even as an assist trophy... Golden Sun has not been given a sequel in 9 years because of poor sales. That's why I´m pointing out that the trailers they show in February would have been a much smarter play to show at E3 no matter who the Square character is since they clearly want to push the franchise in the west. You sell a game because of the gameplay you show, not an actual character.

Smash Brothers can only do so much if something at all. If it was enough then Golden Sun, Earthbound, F-Zero, and Fire Emblem been a striving series since Nintendo 64
I kind of don't understand where you're coming from with this. They can and still may probably show dragon quest stuff at e3.

Earthbound didn't sell well in the west (before smash) because they ****ed up the marketing, lol. They spent too much on the fart jokes and kids didn't latch on like they thought ;p And mother 3 was never localized.

As for Fire emblem, I dont know why you said n64, but anyway here's what's in wikipedia:

"At this time, Marth and Roy from Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and Sword of Seals appeared as playable characters in Super Smash Bros. Melee, prompting western interest in the Fire Emblem series. The positive reception of the characters made Nintendo decide to localize The Blazing Blade under the title Fire Emblem. Due to its overseas success, it was decided to return the series to home consoles for Path of Radiance for the GameCube. Despite it arriving late in the GameCube's life cycle, it provided a late boost to sales, reaffirming Nintendo's faith in the series. By 2010, the series was suffering from declining sales and Nintendo told Intelligent Systems that if their next Fire Emblem failed to sell above 250,000 units, the series would be cancelled. This prompted Intelligent Systems to include lots of features new to the series, intending to make it the culmination of the series. The game's reception and sales ended up saving the series from cancellation, convincing Nintendo to continue production "

So if anything the exposure contributed to the series even still existing :O

But along what was pointed out, it's kind of weird to take the points about exposure as if it has to make them or break them. It's not realistic, and the fact that smash is a huge phenomenon these days, including with online, is enough to push characters quite far just by itself, even if it shouldnt be the only thing relied on.

There's always a lot of factors at play, and I think it wouldn't cost nintendo much if it was really a DQ rep (due to promotion), and regardless of it being enough or not to entice lots of people to play dragon quest, it would still count for quite a bit, and unlike earthbound, there are actual new games to play and they're good. Mother 3 was never released in the west, so there's not much to do there. (quite a bit of people still hoping for a port)

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I kind of don't understand where you're coming from with this. They can and still may probably show dragon quest stuff at e3.

Earthbound didn't sell well in the west (before smash) because they ****ed up the marketing, lol. They spent too much on the fart jokes and kids didn't latch on like they thought ;p And mother 3 was never localized.

As for Fire emblem, I dont know why you said n64, but anyway here's what's in wikipedia:

"At this time, Marth and Roy from Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and Sword of Seals appeared as playable characters in Super Smash Bros. Melee, prompting western interest in the Fire Emblem series. The positive reception of the characters made Nintendo decide to localize The Blazing Blade under the title Fire Emblem. Due to its overseas success, it was decided to return the series to home consoles for Path of Radiance for the GameCube. Despite it arriving late in the GameCube's life cycle, it provided a late boost to sales, reaffirming Nintendo's faith in the series. By 2010, the series was suffering from declining sales and Nintendo told Intelligent Systems that if their next Fire Emblem failed to sell above 250,000 units, the series would be cancelled. This prompted Intelligent Systems to include lots of features new to the series, intending to make it the culmination of the series. The game's reception and sales ended up saving the series from cancellation, convincing Nintendo to continue production "

So if anything the exposure contributed to the series even still existing :O

But along what was pointed out, it's kind of weird to take the points about exposure as if it has to make them or break them. It's not realistic, and the fact that smash is a huge phenomenon these days, including with online, is enough to push characters quite far just by itself, even if it shouldnt be the only thing relied on.

There's always a lot of factors at play, and I think it wouldn't cost nintendo much if it was really a DQ rep (due to promotion), and regardless of it being enough or not to entice lots of people to play dragon quest, it would still count for quite a bit, and unlike earthbound, there are actual new games to play and they're good. Mother 3 was never released in the west, so there's not much to do there. (quite a bit of people still hoping for a port)
A) I said N64 because thats when Cap and Ness was introduced

B) Sure, they could show more at E3. I'm just saying that those trailers pushes a game more than character in Smash ever will, which is why I used Fire Emblem, Earthbound and F-Zero as a counterargument for "Smash is the ultimate push and will make it sale bonkers" argument. Could it help some? Sure.. but not as much as everyone seen to think

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

B) Sure, they could show more at E3. I'm just saying that those trailers pushes a game more than character in Smash ever will, which is why I used Fire Emblem, Earthbound and F-Zero as a counterargument for "Smash is the ultimate push and will make it sale bonkers" argument. Could it help some? Sure.. but not as much as everyone seen to think
Regardless it's still a push, it would still be decent exposure and that's good enough for me. As long as Dragon Quest gets some form of exposure in the west outside of ignorance, that's fine by me.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Yeah I figured after you just lumped FE with the others. no big deal.

I think a trailer at one direct pales in comparison to a game that will likely have at least 5+ years of life on an incredibly well-selling console in this day and age. It's actually really hard to compare. That said it doesn't hurt to target multiple angles. More stuff around can help. I dont know who says that smash is the only sale push a game would need, but it's not worth taking the extreme opposite point even if you disagree with that.

I think it's too bad that games like F-zero weren't given more. I'm not saying that they wont reboot the series, but i do think it could've done decent on the wii, and now it could do even better on the switch. The market for unorthodox racers isn't oversaturated or anything, so i think it'd be worth it.

Edit: I was just looking for fun and it turns out F-Zero wasn't a commercial failure. So maybe we dont know what's really the deal with it.
https://gaminggamma.com/2018/08/13/...f-zero-gx-sold-1-5-million-copies-world-wide/

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Regardless it's still a push, it would still be decent exposure and that's good enough for me. As long as Dragon Quest gets some form of exposure in the west outside of ignorance, that's fine by me.
Not arguing that. Just arguing how big the exposure would be based on what I have heard people point out in this thread as well as other places.

think a trailer at one direct pales in comparison to a game that will likely have at least 5+ years of life on an incredibly well-selling console in this day and age.
Agreed to disagree as of know considering the pattern. Also, I apologize from earlier a couple of days ago. While I might stand for some of what I said considering on the skeptic pessimist I am (then again, if you see the **** I have seen you would probably be one too but I digress) I should have worded it better.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Not arguing that. Just arguing how big the exposure would be based on what I have heard people point out in this thread as well as other places.

Agreed to disagree as of know considering the pattern. Also, I apologize from earlier a couple of days ago. While I might stand for some of what I said considering on the skeptic pessimist I am (then again, if you see the **** I have seen you would probably be one too but I digress) I should have worded it better.
Not sure what you mean, but in any case any exposure is good, and right now i'm more excited about what'll be exposed at e3 :p
I dont know how much new stuff there'll be, since it feels like a lot's been shown already, but im even looking to just seeing more footage of what we know about too.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Boing Boing.. I'm coming to get you XD

Hiya A.G.L. A.G.L. O/
It IS intense XD

Summoning jutsu.... GoeGoe GoeGoe appears :O.

Haha I haven’t forgotten our bet my friend. And noooo the horror ha.
However if I win, he’s coming to get you(insert evil laugh). :p

348FB3CF-126D-48AE-879C-629171970802.jpeg

And hopefully we find out soon, who wins my friend :). Hope you’re doing well buddy!

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Summoning jutsu.... GoeGoe GoeGoe appears :O.

Haha I haven’t forgotten our bet my friend. And noooo the horror ha.
However if I win, he’s coming to get you(insert evil laugh). :p

View attachment 223914

And hopefully we find out soon, who wins my friend :). Hope you’re doing well buddy!
You do realize that that image is much scarier than King Slime.. I'm facing a harsher loss here, friend ("_");

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
You do realize that that image is much scarier than King Slime.. I'm facing a harsher loss here, friend ("_");
I don’t know I feel like that King Slime face is just scary, but that’s just me. Who knows maybe we’ll both be wrong and change our profile pics to Sephiroth or Neku lol

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I don’t know I feel like that King Slime face is just scary, but that’s just me. Who knows maybe we’ll both be wrong and change our profile pics to Sephiroth or Neku lol
No, not Sephiroth please XD

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's a whole bunch of other slimes to choose from too ;)

Slimese.jpg

that's not all of them but there's some special ones there :p

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
There's a whole bunch of other slimes to choose from too ;)

View attachment 224011

that's not all of them but there's some special ones there :p
That one shaped like a star...

Geno, my son, is that you?! :drflip:

Ahem. Anyway, I am here to make an announcement. I am upgrading my Erdrick bet. I'm not raising the stakes for him in particular, but rather, my personal preferred outcome... and how sure I am that it isn't happening. I know that sounds sad, which yeah, it is, but trust me, this will at least inject some fun into it.

If Geno is present for Smash... no, for ANYTHING in the June direct or Treehouse (his Mii costume/old render, spirit included, doesn't count), I will write a 10k+ word manifesto about my romantic feelings for Steve from Minecraft and how attracted I am to him. I never want to do this. I don't have those feelings. This would be the worst thing to do with my writing talent and I'd feel physically ill, especially since I'm actually a lesbian anyway, so it's even against my gender preference. That, however, is what I put up for this bet. That is how sure I am that Geno is dead in the water, much to my dismay.

Hah! Hah! I will never have to write a 10k word love letter about Steve and how I want to marry him. :yoshi:

(Disclaimer: Obviously this isn't meant as a shot at Steve's fans. It's just the most outlandish and embarrassing thing I could think of.)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If Geno is present for Smash... no, for ANYTHING in the June direct or Treehouse (his Mii costume/old render, spirit included, doesn't count), I will write a 10k+ word manifesto about my romantic feelings for Steve from Minecraft and how attracted I am to him. )
Morbid :surprised:

Welll, If something geno comes up, I'm sure the positive energy you'd feel would help you get through it :dizzy:

What'll you do if steve shows up? ;p

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

Ahem. Anyway, I am here to make an announcement. I am upgrading my Erdrick bet. I'm not raising the stakes for him in particular, but rather, my personal preferred outcome... and how sure I am that it isn't happening. I know that sounds sad, which yeah, it is, but trust me, this will at least inject some fun into it.

If Geno is present for Smash... no, for ANYTHING in the June direct or Treehouse (his Mii costume/old render, spirit included, doesn't count), I will write a 10k+ word manifesto about my romantic feelings for Steve from Minecraft and how attracted I am to him. I never want to do this. I don't have those feelings. This would be the worst thing to do with my writing talent and I'd feel physically ill, especially since I'm actually a lesbian anyway, so it's even against my gender preference. That, however, is what I put up for this bet. That is how sure I am that Geno is dead in the water, much to my dismay.

Hah! Hah! I will never have to write a 10k word love letter about Steve and how I want to marry him. :yoshi:

(Disclaimer: Obviously this isn't meant as a shot at Steve's fans. It's just the most outlandish and embarrassing thing I could think of.)
As a straight guy, I'm not particularly comfortable with a bet where someone writes romantically about themselves with someone outside their gender preference, even if it's a blocky avatar with no personality. I know you're imposing this on yourself, but I wanted to reassure you that you didn't need to go all this way to justify your skepticism.

If you're so sure and you're set on this bet, though, then pardon my response and keep to your bet. I just get concerned about these sorts of posts as someone with a lot of LGBT+ friends, even if this may ultimately be a harmless joke.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
As a straight guy, I'm not particularly comfortable with a bet where someone writes romantically about themselves with someone outside their gender preference, even if it's a blocky avatar with no personality. I know you're imposing this on yourself, but I wanted to reassure you that you didn't need to go all this way to justify your skepticism.

If you're so sure and you're set on this bet, though, then pardon my response and keep to your bet. I just get concerned about these sorts of posts as someone with a lot of LGBT+ friends, even if this may ultimately be a harmless joke.
Oh no, don't worry about it. In fact, I laughed my ass off at the idea. It would be terrible, but not something extreme like that. No need to worry, but thank you for the concern anyhow!

(Besides, that's how sure I am that Geno's never coming back, pfft. Even though I'm still hopeful, the logical side of me knows better.)

Morbid :surprised:

Welll, If something geno comes up, I'm sure the positive energy you'd feel would help you get through it :dizzy:

What'll you do if steve shows up? ;p
Nothing, since he's not part of the bet. He's not my personal pick and I'll mourn Banjo, but it's all good.

Unless you were hoping for me to start fanning myself over his presence, THEN NO SIR. :p

(Also, if Geno got some spotlight again, I'd be too over the moon to even care.)

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Oh no, don't worry about it. In fact, I laughed my *** off at the idea. It would be terrible, but not something extreme like that. No need to worry, but thank you for the concern anyhow!

(Besides, that's how sure I am that Geno's never coming back, pfft. Even though I'm still hopeful, the logical side of me knows better.)
Alright then, you do you.

Unrelated to your bet, I admit I miss just having the Geno costume around even if I didn't buy it last time. If Geno isn't back, and I do want them to come back someday, then I hope the costume becomes available for purchase once again.

I wonder if Mallow could be a Mii costume as well. The Miis wouldn't be nearly as round and squishy enough to work, but having the pants and a Mallow hat could be a nice Brawler costume.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Alright then, you do you.

Unrelated to your bet, I admit I miss just having the Geno costume around even if I didn't buy it last time. If Geno isn't back, and I do want them to come back someday, then I hope the costume becomes available for purchase once again.

I wonder if Mallow could be a Mii costume as well. The Miis wouldn't be nearly as round and squishy enough to work, but having the pants and a Mallow hat could be a nice Brawler costume.
Yeah, having the costume would be nice. Consolation for Geno's absence would have been great in the base game. I know all 3rd party costumes are gone, but Geno's being an exception to that would have been wonderful. SMRPG tunes included in the soundtrack, too? Awesome. More SMRPG spirits than just Geno and Mallow? Also amazing.

The fact that we're just getting the spirits and probably the costume back, leaving it at that, makes it feel like Geno and his fans are a huge afterthought, though. It's an understandable and brutal reality, but... it doesn't really make it hurt less.

also i would kill for a mallow mii costume like yes please give my cloud son some love too

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, having the costume would be nice. Consolation for Geno's absence would have been great in the base game. I know all 3rd party costumes are gone, but Geno's being an exception to that would have been wonderful. SMRPG tunes included in the soundtrack, too? Awesome. More SMRPG spirits than just Geno and Mallow? Also amazing.

The fact that we're just getting the spirits and probably the costume back, leaving it at that, makes it feel like Geno and his fans are a huge afterthought, though. It's an understandable and brutal reality, but... it doesn't really make it hurt less.

also i would kill for a mallow mii costume like yes please give my cloud son some love too
It's a good thing you thought to add that the mii costume doesnt count, ;p Tho I will say even with an SE announcement, I still dont expect a drop right away, tho it could happen. I'm thinking july for when the character would actually be available.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Why is Lara Croft not in the poll?? Also the poll should be 'wanted' not likely IMHO - more accurare showing popularity not things based on rumours leaks and other bias.

Also this sort of general 3rd party company / series speculation thread is an amazing idea im surprised hasnt happened yet (or maybe just wasnt allowed lmao)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

No Oval don't do it! Anything but that!

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Why is Lara Croft not in the poll?? Also the poll should be 'wanted' not likely IMHO - more accurare showing popularity not things based on rumours leaks and other bias.

Also this sort of general 3rd party company / series speculation thread is an amazing idea im surprised hasnt happened yet (or maybe just wasnt allowed lmao)
If I understand the history correctly, this thread is based on a leak that mentioned the 7 characters. I also think it popularized the concept of company threads a bit, though for this whole DLC run everyone has been using the term rep a lot, o maybe that is the seed to company threads.

It's weird Lara was not in the leak. Maybe that is the true leakbait, there isn't a smash DLC, instead SE and Disney are making a new take on Snow White together called Lara Croft and the Seven Squares.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

The reason this thread was made was because there was a rumor spread by prominent leakers that these specific seven were being thrown about by Square as a potential second rep. It's why Lara or Neku or 2B aren't in the conversation.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
When Erdrick speculation started to gain steam on this forum a lot of people showed to not even know the basics like the fact if was older than FF.
Let's not forget also, that like characters such as Katalina, speculation about Erdrick was practically non-existent until alleged leaks about him came about too. Something which makes him stand out.
So, just to check, you're still consuming toilet paper when/if Erdrick doesn't show up as a fighter for this Season pass right?

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Let's not forget also, that like characters such as Katalina, speculation about Erdrick was practically non-existent until alleged leaks about him came about too. Something which makes him stand out.
I don't quite get what you mean here or how it relates to my point.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
The reason this thread was made was because there was a rumor spread by prominent leakers that these specific seven were being thrown about by Square as a potential second rep. It's why Lara or Neku or 2B aren't in the conversation.
Well the thread should be updated and expanded. That's it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well the thread should be updated and expanded. That's it.
We did talk about changing the poll to have more characters at one point. I haven't seen Nekoo Nekoo in quite a while now though. And he hasn't posted in a month. So i dont know if something like that'll happen soon.

I wouldn't mind seeing a lot more characters on there for fun myself :)

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Uh-oh
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Way to kill my hype and faith that Sephiroth would break all expectations

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Uh-oh
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Way to kill my hype and faith that Sephiroth would break all expectations
The article we saw said some info might be related to Dragon Quest 11 S.
They mentioned how Yuji Horii said more info on something could be in june.

"
The following is a message from Dragon Quest series creator Yuji Horii, who was unable to appear on the program due to poor health:

“Thanks to everyone who made their voice heard, Dragon Quest XI S is being made to dive deeper into the story. And new story is also being added that allows you to experience each character as the protagonist. Through the unexpected sides of these characters and previously untold stories, I hope that you can be able to appreciate each character even more. I wanted everyone to further enjoy the drama of those characters, so I am actually making something as additional downloadable content. That something is a ‘voice drama.’ I would like to share more details now, but I should be able to share new information in June.”

"

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I would legit lose my ****. My favorite RPG franchises colliding in a mainline game would be insane
And no, Erdrick's sword in FFXII does not count
I'd love it too. Imagine DQ11 DLC for FF7 and vice versa. And I'm not just talking cosmetics.

Edit: Now I want the Luminary to fight Sephiroth haha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom