• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
If he does pass the torch, it'd be the next game.
While he certainly would go out on top, I doubt he will even then. He clearly wants to do more than just this don´t get me wrong. But I don´t think he would have stuck to this franchise for so long if it wasn´t his baby. I don´t think he is leaving until he retires to be quite honest.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While he certainly would go out on top, I doubt he will even then. He clearly wants to do more than just this don´t get me wrong. But I don´t think he would have stuck to this franchise for so long if it wasn´t his baby. I don´t think he is leaving until he retires to be quite honest.
That or Nintendo doesn't hire him back. He's only on this project because they want him there. That's something people tend to forget.

Of course, they fully respect him, so that makes sense why. I don't think he's leaving next game either, but I could see him staying as an adviser instead of a director as the last possible option.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
That or Nintendo doesn't hire him back. He's only on this project because they want him there. That's something people tend to forget.

Of course, they fully respect him, so that makes sense why. I don't think he's leaving next game either, but I could see him staying as an adviser instead of a director as the last possible option.
They will more than likely hire him until he retires considering every Smash game he has made has been a console seller (I don´t think Wii U would have sold even half as much if there was no Smash 4. And this comes from someone that finds that console underrated )

Luckily for him, we are probably not getting another Smash game until the next decade, maybe even longer. This is a game that can be alive for a long ass time due to everything in it and it is extremely big in the competitive market. Nintendo switch is more than likely going to be the next DS line in which it will more than likely keep on going for 10-20 years. I don´t think they will do a new console any time soon considering handhelds are what they are masters at.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Happy Dragon Quest day in Japan. :)

The next 24 hrs might have something cool. It's a new holiday though so there may not be something from Square Enix.
In any case, happy day ;p

AS001855_00.gif

Last edited:

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
I was out of town and missed the DQ vs Persona sales funposting in this weeks episode of "why Erdrick shouldn't be in Smash" :(

I will go ahead and say this, not trying to troll or start a flamewar: I think DQXI:S on the Switch will outsell P5:R on the PS4 in the West. What do you all think, am I crazy?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I was out of town and missed the DQ vs Persona sales funposting in this weeks episode of "why Erdrick shouldn't be in Smash" :(

I will go ahead and say this, not trying to troll or start a flamewar: I think DQXI:S on the Switch will outsell P5:R on the PS4 in the West. What do you all think, am I crazy?
Honestly, it sounds like it'd be a pretty close race for me. I think they'll both sell quite well, perhaps equally so. That's a tough call to make. Uhh... maybe DQXI:S?

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302

I'd say it depends on whether or not Erdrick gets into Smash if not then PSR easy

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Well, it's comparing a rerelease of a game on the same console vs. an upgraded port. It's not exactly one-to-one.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well japanese tweets are filled with dragon quest stuff. Looks to be a pretty neat holiday over there.
So far only been official stuff around japanese-only DQ games, like for a mobile game, and some stuff between DQ10 (mmo) and DQ Rivals (online card game).
Maybe they're keeping all the worldwide stuff for e3 ;p

I didn't post this anywhere,
I'm not sure if this is a balloon or sculpture or what, but it looks nice:

https://twitter.com/tomo_/status/1132857312421470209

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well japanese tweets are filled with dragon quest stuff. Looks to be a pretty neat holiday over there.
So far only been official stuff around japanese-only DQ games, like a new mobile game, and some stuff between DQ10 (mmo) and DQ Rivals (online card game).

New mobile game? Do you happen to have a link?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
So far only been official stuff around japanese-only DQ games, like for a mobile game, and some stuff between DQ10 (mmo) and DQ Rivals (online card game).

Whatever it is made of, it sure looks dope.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I dont think it's a new mobile game, actually. It's one that just got a bunch of new stuff, i guess. They had long streams about it yesterday.
I think maybe this is a short version of a commercial for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3d8qiOLzoM
Thanks!

But yeah, I recognize the icon, that’s definitely about new content.

I just looove the production value from that music video though. Although I could swear it sounds extremely similar to one sung by Morning Musume.

Well at least this eased up the wait for e3 just a bit.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I don't know if it will ever happen, but I'd love if this song got into Smash somehow.

Honestly though, Square Enix's musical selection is solid in general.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I don't know if it will ever happen, but I'd love if this song got into Smash somehow.

This gives me a fun idea.

If you could have any 5 music tracks that are from a Square Enix game in Smash Ultimate, what would they be?

For me they would be the following

1) Veiled in Black from Final Fantasy 15

2) Battle Theme II from Octopath Traveler

3) 13th Struggle from Kingdom Hearts 2-3

4) One Winged Angel from Final Fantasy 7

5) Forest Maze from Super Mario RPG

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master

I'd be able to enjoy this song if it weren't for the PTSD it gives me and the reminder I can't say I completed Octopath traveler.

D

Deleted member

This gives me a fun idea.

If you could have any 5 music tracks that are from a Square Enix game in Smash Ultimate, what would they be?
I'm going to assume these songs wont be remixed. In no particular order.

Now if there were going to be remixes, you'd see a lot more Super Mario RPG on my "Wanted Music" list. Fun fact, I never played a Kingdom Hearts game, but I like the music.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ok well maybe there's a new mobile dragon quest game coming afterall:

( NomadLuminary NomadLuminary came across it late last night)

Also, there's going to be a smash update that probably has balance changes:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

And also Pokemon Direct in a week :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also, there's going to be a smash update that probably has balance changes:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

And also Pokemon Direct in a week :)

Pokemon Direct has me interested because I want to hope Gen 8 actually offers me something.

Curious about the Smash update because it's 3.1.0. If we were getting a new character, wouldn't we just get 4.0.0?

Buckett

Smash Rookie
Just because I think Erdrick is the most likely doesn't mean I want him in.

please just give me black mage :(

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Pokemon Direct has me interested because I want to hope Gen 8 actually offers me something.

Curious about the Smash update because it's 3.1.0. If we were getting a new character, wouldn't we just get 4.0.0?
Yeah it's most likely just balance changes. I doubt they'd drop someone without announcing them at this point, and i dont see a new pokemon coming in so far before the game releases, too.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah it's most likely just balance changes. I doubt they'd drop someone without announcing them at this point, and i dont see a new pokemon coming in so far before the game releases, too.
My guess is balance changes and the addition of some new spirits. I think that'd warrant the 0.1.0 jump. Nothing major, but still something worth checking out.

Also AAAAAA POKEMON DIRECT. I got my most wanted new Pokemon already (a bunny, and a BUNNY STARTER, NO LESS) so I'm just excited to see whatever else happens. I'm so ready!! Anyone got anything they're hoping to see there?

(Also @ that 5 music thing, my list is literally just... all SMRPG. RIP.)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Bringing this from the Banjo Thread.

Sad day for Kingdom Hearts fans...If true of course.
Not sure I can believe a tweet from a guy saying that just because he got a picture with Hashimoto. I could get a picture with hashimoto and then make up **** that he didn't really say. Unless there is some credibility from the guy who made that tweet, I don't fully buy it as credible source of deconfirmation.
Also, they will never outright steal nintendo's thunder in confirming a DLC character before announcement, that would break NDA & be a PR disaster, Hashimoto cannot say "yes" or "no comment", this is the only way to answer. People really need to learn already how NDA and PR works, lol.

Edit: Also… imagine trusting someone as trollish as Hashimoto, lol

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Unless it's another DQ hero (or many DQ heros) it's looking nearly guaranteed to be Erdrick at this point.
Just a couple weeks left of this ride.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The title for worst kept secret would actually go to Roy and Ryu back in Smash 4, the codename for their characters was literally their real name. So people knew that Roy and Ryu would be the next DLC fighters because of it.
There was also the mistake of releasing the patch containing Roy and Ryu early. People immediately found their Classic Mode cutscenes and knew it was them. By the end of the day, one person even had Ryu and Suzaku Castle up and running.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Not sure I can believe a tweet from a guy saying that just because he got a picture with Hashimoto. I could get a picture with hashimoto and then make up **** that he didn't really say. Unless there is some credibility from the guy who made that tweet, I don't fully buy it as credible source of deconfirmation.
Of course, Sora is respectably improbable anyway. Yet this could also still be PR move and then he is actually in anyway, lol it's not like they would say "yes" before the reveal, that's not how it works. It's not really proof of anything to be completely honest with y'all. He is not really my most expected SE (*cough* disney *cough*) rep anymore anyway.

They will never outright steal nintendo's thunder in confirming a DLC character before announcement, that would break NDA & be a PR disaster, Hashimoto cannot say "yes" or "no comment", this is the only way to answer.
Well, anyone could be lying, but it's not good business practice. It's better to answer in vague ways or be honest without giving a straight yes or no answer. The most common answer is that there's no news on that (or nothing to announce), which is vague enough that a lot of companies answer many things that way.

The guy tweeting is learning game design and is also a commentator for some smash events. Doesnt strike me as someone who would lie about it, but you also never know if something could've been lost in translation or something,. But yeah it must not be fun to see for sora fans.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Well, anyone could be lying, but it's not good business practice. It's better to answer in vague ways or be honest without giving a straight yes or no answer. The most common answer is that there's no news on that (or nothing to announce), which is vague enough that a lot of companies answer many things that way.

The guy tweeting is learning game design and is also a commentator for some smash events. Doesnt strike me as someone who would lie about it, but you also never know if something could've been lost in translation or something, so you never know. But yeah it must not be fun to see for sora fans.
NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreements) are legal agreements in order to not reveal sensitive information relating to a product, event, etc. etc. Before an official time set be the main company or marketing agency, basically to keep a plan intact. You cannot imply or confirm under NDA

This also happened when Jessie got asked about Roxas in KH3 and he literally said "no", you know the rest. Irc Kamiya also did something similar with Bayonetta. There are plenty of examples of how NDA happens and then… voila! People just choose to forget, apparently. There is no deconfirmation here unless we reach DLC pack 5 and he actually isn't in by then.

Last edited:

Ryan Eyrie

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 6710 7707 0996
Also, they will never outright steal nintendo's thunder in confirming a DLC character before announcement, that would break NDA & be a PR disaster, Hashimoto cannot say "yes" or "no comment", this is the only way to answer. People really need to learn already how NDA and PR works, lol.

I know this man he is legit, he is a great smash commentator, I met him and i discussed with him many time. Plus he really wanted sora in smash...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreements) are legal agreements in order to not reveal sensitive information relating to a product, event, etc. etc. Before an official time set be the main company or marketing agency, basically to keep a plan intact. You cannot imply or confirm under NDA

This also happened when Jessie got asked about Roxas in KH3 and he literally said "no", you know the rest. Irc Kamiya also did something similar with Bayonetta. There are plenty of examples of how NDA happens and then… voila! People just choose to forget, apparently.
Some either lie or dont know, but I'm saying the most common is to say there's no news on that, or similar. It's a typical business practice that saves trouble because of nda as well quite a few things.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I know this man he is legit, he is a great smash commentator, I met him and i discussed with him many time. Plus he really wanted sora in smash...
That literally doesn't change anything lol. The point is, people are under NDA when it comes to this kind of stuff. This is nowhere to deconfirmation material until we reach the end of DLC and it actually doesn't happen by then.

Ryan Eyrie

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 6710 7707 0996
That literally doesn't change anything lol. The point is, people are under NDA when it comes to this kind of stuff. This is nowhere to deconfirmation material until we reach the end of DLC and it actually doesn't happen by then.
NDA is when a character is in smash, in fact no contract was made for Sora in smash so he can explicitly say if Sora isn’t in smash.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Some either lie or dont know, but I'm saying the most common is to say there's no news on that, or similar. It's a typical business practice that saves trouble because of nda as well quite a few things.
Precisely, ergo it's not proof of deconfirmation, lol. They can't say yes or imply anything, saying "no" it's the only safe answer, hell even avoiding the answer would be too revealing. Sora's chances look as unlikely as Cloud did before he got announced. I'm ready to be surprised or still not get Sora anyway, it's a 50/50 chance anyway.
NDA is when a character is in smash, in fact no contract was made for Sora in smash so he can explicitly say if Sora isn’t in smash.
Remember the Bayonetta and Kamiya deal back then? yeah… point made.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
An NDA is part of a contract where they're not allowed to say certain information.
IF sora were in smash, he most likely wouldn't be allowed to say that he is.

Precisely, ergo it's not proof of deconfirmation, lol. They can't say yes or imply anything, saying "no" it's the only safe answer, hell even avoiding the answer would be too revealing. Sora's chances look as unlikely as Cloud did before he got announced. I'm ready to be surprised or still not get Sora anyway, it's a 50/50 chance anyway.
Sure, It's definitely not 100% deconfirmation, but i think most people will say that it's not good for sora, and i explained a bit about why.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Remember, Square Enix Europe didn't even know 2B was going to be in SoulCalibur at all. So don't be surprised this doesn't mean anything at all.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Remember, Square Enix Europe didn't even know 2B was going to be in SoulCalibur at all. So don't be surprised this doesn't mean anything at all.
This is the japanese co-creator for kingdom hearts though. So he would definitely be in the know. And we know they're still pretty strong with feedback, at least when it came to cloud.

Other than that though, I dont really want sora fans to give up hope, so i will say that what Nazyrus Nazyrus brought up would be the best 'out' for this, in the case that he lied to avoid talking about it. That or something was lost in translation.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Anytime a person in the know says no it's pretty definitive. Not once has "It could possibly be an NDA" ever been a truthful observation. Sora fans shouldn't stop, though. It's very likely he won't be in the pass, but showing support is the best thing you can do regardless of what's happened.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Anytime a person in the know says no it's pretty definitive. Not once has "It could possibly be an NDA" ever been a truthful observation. Sora fans shouldn't stop, though. It's very likely he won't be in the pass, but showing support is the best thing you can do regardless of what's happened.
No offense (And this is from someone that does not care if Sora gets in) but saying no is a prime example in the entertainment industry when they can´t talk about. I mean there is a reason why videos like this exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKrlvXZ44Vo&ab_channel=JimSterling

Last edited:
Top Bottom