• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Well with P5S just being a musou and not a Switch port, I think my theory is a bit stronger now.
I think Atlus was asked to announce SMTV, as a trade for Joker in Smash. SMTV was announced way way before it was ready.
If Erdrick is in, I think that it's the same case, DQXI:S was announced long before it was ready too.
Atlus always does this. Persona 5 was formerly announced in 2013 (It was soft confirmed years before that) and it wasn't even released in Japan until 2016.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
About E3, some insiders have said that E3 was going to be extra special for Nintendo this year apparently.

Well... Nintendo seems to be more quiet this year than last year, y’all better not get my expectations up for no reason.

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
About E3, some insiders have said that E3 was going to be extra special for Nintendo this year apparently.

Well... Nintendo seems to be more quiet this year than last year, y’all better not get my expectations up for no reason.
But its absolutely nothing, EVERYBODY HYPE!!!!!!! WE GETTING TEN NEWCOMERS AND A NEW F ZERO!!! (do i even need to say /s? let's just play it safe)

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Yeah, either E3 is going to be a big deal or it's going to prove 2019 as a huge flop of a year for Nintendo. Remember, insiders hyped the last direct, too, and it ended up not being all that much. Here's hoping it's going to make up for how dead 2019 has been...

D

Deleted member

Yeah, either E3 is going to be a big deal or it's going to prove 2019 as a huge flop of a year for Nintendo. Remember, insiders hyped the last direct, too, and it ended up not being all that much. Here's hoping it's going to make up for how dead 2019 has been...
Gotta say I disagree with you given the last direct being quite hype worthy with Maker 2, Astral Chain, Rune Factory 5 , DQ XIS new features...

Sometimes I wonder what people want.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Gotta say I disagree with you given the last direct being quite hype worthy with Maker 2, Astral Chain, Rune Factory 5 , DQ XIS new features...

Sometimes I wonder what people want.
Eh, a lot of it was pretty JRPG-based, so I guess that's where disparity lies. I'm ridiculously picky with JRPGs, so I can't say any of it was hype. Interesting, maybe, but not hype. Astral Chain looks pretty cool, but until we get more info, I don't feel like I have much reason to be hype about it just yet. Platinum tends to make some real bangers, though, so here's hoping. Was kinda hoping for more on Bayonetta 3, though...

Maker 2 and Link's Awakening were the only real hype moments for me, tbh. Everything else ranged from either interesting to boring.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Remember, insiders hyped the last direct, too, and it ended up not being all that much.
Was anything actually rumoured that was much more exciting than what we got? All I can remember is Metroid Prime Trilogy, Pikmin 3 and the Star Fox thing. Oh, and SNES games for Nintendo's online, that would've been nice. Nothing I'd call a make or break there, though.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Was anything actually rumoured that was much more exciting than what we got? All I can remember is Metroid Prime Trilogy, Pikmin 3 and the Star Fox thing. Oh, and SNES games for Nintendo's online, that would've been nice. Nothing I'd call a make or break there, though.
Honestly, Metroid Prime Trilogy would have been insanely hype for me. I'm dying to play that game on the go. Pikmin 3 would be extra sweet for me, too, since I don't have it on my Wii U. It'd be preferable to buy it for the Switch instead.

I guess that's all rather situational and not applicable for a broader stroke of people, though.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, Metroid Prime Trilogy would have been insanely hype for me. I'm dying to play that game on the go. Pikmin 3 would be extra sweet for me, too, since I don't have it on my Wii U. It'd be preferable to buy it for the Switch instead.

I guess that's all rather situational and not applicable for a broader stroke of people, though.
I was definitely hoping for MPT; that's a drop-everything-and-replay for me if there ever was one. At the end of the day it's hard to get too bummed out about a port, though, especially since that and Pikmin 3 look like they'll happen eventually anyway.

D

Deleted member

Depends on what you look forward to. Half of 2018's E3 was dedicated to Smash Ultimate. While I loved that, other people were disappointed that Smash was all Nintendo really had for that year. I just want two newcomers and then I can say Nintendo won E3.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Depends on what you look forward to. Half of 2018's E3 was dedicated to Smash Ultimate. While I loved that, other people were disappointed that Smash was all Nintendo really had for that year. I just want two newcomers and then I can say Nintendo won E3.
Honestly, for E3 this year, I'm not picky. I mainly just want a new first party announcement and at least one newcomer that we don't know about (meaning two total newcomers, Erdrick and DLC pack 3).

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Animal Crossing trailer and release date
Bayonetta 3 Trailer and release date
Pokemon Sword and Shield trailer (E3 is the only time Gamefreak show something at the same time with Nintendo) and release date
MPT trilogy release date
Challenger 2 and possibly 3.
Gameplay trailer for Astral Chain

Is my guess

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Y’all sleeping on Doom Eternal.
But tis ok. It’s not for everyone it seems.

I’m just looking forward to the next dlc pack. Any of the characters from the supposed leak from 5ch would amuse me.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Y’all sleeping on Doom Eternal.
But tis ok. It’s not for everyone it seems.

I’m just looking forward to the next dlc pack. Any of the characters from the supposed leak from 5ch would amuse me.
Some shown on E3, sure. but I doubt that will be shown on Nintendos E3 presentation. .
Also, about the 5chan leak.IT technically have considering it contained Joker.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Some shown on E3, sure. but I doubt that will be shown on Nintendos E3 presentation. .
Also, about the 5chan leak.IT technically have considering it contained Joker.
Ah gotcha. I thought you were all talking about 2019 in general.

Been thinking, what if instead of Metroid Prime Trilogy, we actually got....

Metroid Prime Collection.
- Metroid Prime
- Metroid Prime 2
- Metroid Prime 3
- Metroid Prime Hunters HD
- Metroid Prime Federation Force
- Metroid Prime Pinball...... HD

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ah gotcha. I thought you were all talking about 2019 in general.

Been thinking, what if instead of Metroid Prime Trilogy, we actually got....

Metroid Prime Collection.
- Metroid Prime
- Metroid Prime 2
- Metroid Prime 3
- Metroid Prime Hunters HD
- Metroid Prime Federation Force
- Metroid Prime Pinball...... HD
I'm down for Hunters and even Pinball, but keep Federation Force out of my life.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Hunters would take a ton of work to make acceptable these days; I could see a total re-imagining of some kind, but it wouldn't be part of a bundle. Federation Force would probably port just fine, but I'm not sure there'd be enough interest to justify the labour.

Prime Pinball HD would be rad, though. I miss the days of handheld pinball spinoffs, whatever happened to those?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I have no expectations for E3 except smash character announcements. Hopefully two if we don't get one in May.

Joker was released two months and a half after February started, which would be a tiny bit over when they need to release each character to have 5 in one year. I know they dont have to space it out perfectlyt, but it still makes sense. It wouldn't overly surprised me if they only announce the next one at E3 but the release would probably be close to the announcement, since it'd be close to 2 months since joker's release by then.

Two character announcements would be hype, especially if one wont be far from its release.

Hunters would take a ton of work to make acceptable these days; I could see a total re-imagining of some kind, but it wouldn't be part of a bundle. Federation Force would probably port just fine, but I'm not sure there'd be enough interest to justify the labour.

Prime Pinball HD would be rad, though. I miss the days of handheld pinball spinoffs, whatever happened to those?
Any nintendo pinball game would actually be fun to me :)

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I have no expectations for E3 except smash character announcements. Hopefully two if we don't get one in May.
There is a pun for this somewhere, but may-be I should keep it to myself :psycho:

In all seriousness. With E3 around the corner, unless there is a big celebration in Japan during May that I'm not aware of, I doubt we will get one that month.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I think the Mii costume theory is total bull****. There's literally no reason to believe it. The only evidence we have is knuckles and tails releasing with Joker. Not only is that not a pattern, it's not even a coincidence. It literally happened one time. Plus we didn't even get all the Sega costumes back with the update. And there's literally no way Nintendo would base newcomer picks based on what Mii costumes are returning. I don't understand why people buy it so much. As much as I'd love a square rep and Geno costume, this "theory" is no guarantee.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There is a pun for this somewhere, but may-be I should keep it to myself :psycho:

In all seriousness. With E3 around the corner, unless there is a big celebration in Japan during May that I'm not aware of, I doubt we will get one that month.
Other characters were revealed on dates that weren't special, so I dunno why you would focus on celebrations.
It's smash, so the news is gonna spread regardless of when they do it.

Also I give the pun a low rating ;p

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Other characters were revealed on dates that weren't special, so I dunno why you would focus on celebrations.
It's smash, so the news is gonna spread regardless of when they do it.

Also I give the pun a low rating ;p
Considering (and granted, this is purely speculation) Sakurai wants to reveal -> release them there more than likely not going to be anyone revealed until E3. The only exception I could see to this "rule" being broken if there would be someone that would hype up the Japanese costumer only (Erdrick or Luminar for example) and there would be some Japanse Holiday that they could use for their advantage in terms of marketing.

The worst-case scenario on someone being revealed in May would be a Three House rep. Yes I know about the "no more Fire Emblem character" and I'm right there with ya. Especially "sword user only protagonist". But Fire Emblem is rather big in Japan after the release of Fire Emblem Heroes and there is a Fire Emblem focused con at May which could end up being a new Shulk scenario :psycho:

Yes, I'm with people that there should not be any more Fire Emblem rep (especially sword protagonist. and this comes from someone that have Chrom as a main) and yes I hope there is third party only too. But this is Nintendo we are talking about. I would not be surprised if at least one spot is used for promotion for a Nintendo IP, be it Edelgard (which I hope it is if TH ends up getting a rep) King Bo because of Luigi's Mansion, one of the starters from Sword and Shield, or maybe (and this is the most likely when it comes to the first party if we talk promotion) a character from Astral Chain, since its the first installment of a new IP from Platinum Games that will be exclusive of Nintendo.

PS off topic, but Jim Carrey feels like he will be the only thing that carries that live action Sonic movie that got a trailer today. He nails the character of Robotnik.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Has Jokers height changed? I just had some guys tell me it hasn't but I recall there was a change somewhere
I'd like to know what it says in the data, but in any case his height is 17 blocks high, compared to the 15 that people saw before.

Considering (and granted, this is purely speculation) Sakurai wants to reveal -> release them there more than likely not going to be anyone revealed until E3. The only exception I could see to this "rule" being broken if there would be someone that would hype up the Japanese costumer only (Erdrick or Luminar for example) and there would be some Japanse Holiday that they could use for their advantage in terms of marketing.

The worst-case scenario on someone being revealed in May would be a Three House rep. Yes I know about the "no more Fire Emblem character" and I'm right there with ya. Especially "sword user only protagonist". But Fire Emblem is rather big in Japan after the release of Fire Emblem Heroes and there is a Fire Emblem focused con at May which could end up being a new Shulk scenario :psycho:
I dont know what you mean. Anywho to me e3 is not enough to stop a reveal in May. Maybe a bit less likely is all.

I guess you could say there's FE and Dragon Quest that could have something, because Dragon Quest Day is on May 27th. I heard some people say that we shouldn't expect much because it's a new-ish holiday that isn't governmental, but it's still based on when the first dragon quest was released and there's bound to be something on that day, I just dont know how much. Let's see what japan comes up with.

I could imagine a scenario where an announcement happens in may, but we only get the release date at e3, plus the 3rd dlc character announced there. It's just an idea, and I'm curious what nintendo will end up doing anyway.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I dont know what you mean. Anywho to me e3 is not enough to stop a reveal in May. Maybe a bit less likely is all.

I guess you could say there's FE and Dragon Quest that could have something, because Dragon Quest Day is on May 27th. I heard some people say that we shouldn't expect much because it's a new-ish holiday that isn't governmental, but it's still based on when the first dragon quest was released and there's bound to be something on that day, I just dont know how much. Let's see what japan comes up with.

I could imagine a scenario where an announcement happens in may, but we only get the release date at e3, plus the 3rd dlc character announced there. It's just an idea, and I'm curious what nintendo will end up doing anyway.
About E3, as I said earlier. Since they did not announce any new at the time Joker had yet to be released, I imagine that they would not reveal the second in May (Unless they want some for examples you and I pointed out which I doubt happen but you never know) considering Joker got released 4&½ month after revealed and E3 is in July, would it be a pattern here.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
BiETlrL.png

Some... "news"...
Apparently this was sent out by Nintendo in DECEMBER and no one really noticed until now.
It says that Joker, DLC2 and DLC3 were all in development (and something else which is likely Stage Builder).

Since only Joker and Brave were in the datamine, I assume that DLC3 had only started VERY early development, but it gives more credence to 2 characters being revealed at E3, or near E3.

Looking back, there were no characters revealed at E3, Ryu and Roy were announced right before, but not AT E3 explicitly though.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Part of me always kinda felt that there could be 2 DLC announcements during E3, even if one or both of them are just shown through a trailer/animation if they can't be shown through gameplay (similar to how Joker was shown during the game awards).

I mean, it'd make sense. E3 would be the time to try and get the most hype, and showing off not one but 2 DLC choices would be the way to do it.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
View attachment 214319

Some... "news"...
Apparently this was sent out by Nintendo in DECEMBER and no one really noticed until now.
It says that Joker, DLC2 and DLC3 were all in development (and something else which is likely Stage Builder).

Since only Joker and Brave were in the datamine, I assume that DLC3 had only started VERY early development, but it gives more credence to 2 characters being revealed at E3, or near E3.

Looking back, there were no characters revealed at E3, Ryu and Roy were announced right before, but not AT E3 explicitly though.
"I wonder when I ever get to take a break" - Works on 3 DLC characters at the same time....

Teeb147

Smash Legend
About E3, as I said earlier. Since they did not announce any new at the time Joker had yet to be released, I imagine that they would not reveal the second in May (Unless they want some for examples you and I pointed out which I doubt happen but you never know) considering Joker got released 4&½ month after revealed and E3 is in July, would it be a pattern here.
Sorry but I just dont understand what youre saying. There's no reason that not announcing someone before joker's release would delay the next announcement. The only thing is if they want to wait for e3, which they could, but as someone pointed out, they revealed dlc at times close to e3 instead of there.

We really can't know for sure with nintendo. Hopefully they have some cool stuff to show us soon either way ;)

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Sorry but I just dont understand what youre saying. There's no reason that not announcing someone before joker's release would delay the next announcement. The only thing is if they want to wait for e3, which they could, but as someone pointed out, they revealed dlc at times close to e3 instead of there.

We really can't know for sure with nintendo. Hopefully they have some cool stuff to show us soon either way ;)
Looking back at it, I don¨t get it either. It was probably the painkillers (broke a leg recently)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Looking back at it, I don¨t get either. It was probably the painkillers (broke a leg recently)
:O
Well I hope your leg feels better soon.

I was trying to find some art that had different SE characters together, and there isn't that much of it. But here's one

Untouch

Smash Master
Looking back, the only character revealed in a general direct was Cloud, who was also the only character revealed without another character or veteran.
I have a feeling DLC2 and DLC3 aren't even going to be revealed at E3, but right before like they did with Ryu/Roy.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
:O
Well I hope your leg feels better soon.

I was trying to find some art that had different SE characters together, and there isn't that much of it. But here's one
Square-Enix is one of the few companies where I regularly forget they own series I really like. I also regularly forget that Gex existed.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
A few years ago I remember a bunch of companies were announcing games like the week before E3, including EarthBound Beginnings.
I could see the case of them announcing Pack 2 the week before E3, and in the E3 Direct announcing Pack 3 and/or releasing Pack 2 right after it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom