• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
How do people here rate the chance of Brave being Lloyd or another Tales of Character?
I think its a big possibility. I mean, they only have one character in the game, and they are the co-developers for Naga's sake. But this comes from someone that is starting to think if the names really mean anything no matter if Erdrick is in or not after doing some digging. Yes, Piranha Plant has the Japanese name. But that was someone that they would reveal closer to release and he is not one of the "big ones" aka a fighter pass character. With that said, with Joker we had the names, Jane and Sherlock Holmes, in. No sight of Jane at all, and before you say "but Sherlock Holmes is obviously Arsene".

While I'm with people on that, the name choice isn¨t really "straight forward" as people think. The character is based on Arsen Lupin, a character created by Maurice Leblanc. Sure, Arsene is seen as the French version of Sherlock, but how many people would make that connection as fast as the Japanese name for piranha plant? I don't know any Persona 5 fans that were aware of the about that before I told them.

Brave is such a broad term. Any main character is pretty a "brave" character". The more I think about it, the more I feel that Sakurai learned from his mistake with Smash 4s data mining which is why they don¨t write who it is straight up front.

Before anyone goes berserk on me. This is not a jab about Erdricks chances by any means. This is just me pointing out that it's not so straight forward "obvious" that if he is in, Erdrick will be revealed to be the second do to that name was the only name in the files besides Piranhas and Jokers. He could be the 4th revealed for what we know

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
How about this for a Brave connection?:

2B has already crossed over in the following in some capacity:

Soul Calibur 6
Lord of Vermillion
Servant of Thrones
Gravity Rush (AKA Gravity Daze)
Star Ocean: anamnesis
SINoALICE
Final Fantasy Brave Exvius
VALKYRIE ANATOMIA ‐THE ORIGIN‐
Monster Hunter Frontier Z

It's only a matter of time before the 8th square steals our hearts exterminates the competition (oops, minor spoilers in that tagline). Seriously, after recently discovering that Sakurai played all of the Drakengard and Nier games, I'm even more convinced she has a shot.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
How about this for a Brave connection:

She's already crossed over in the following:

Soul Calibur 6
Lord of Vermillion
Servant of Thrones
SINoALICE

It's only a matter of time before the 8th square steals our hearts exterminates the competition (oops, minor spoilers in that tagline). Seriously, after recently discovering that Sakurai played all of the Drakengard and Nier games, I'm even more convinced she has a shot.
Quite a long reach. This probably wasn’t even planned when Brave began development.

Besides... it’s a mobile game.
And I believe Sora got there first.
And before him, Slime and other DQ monsters.

I mean don’t get me wrong, 2B could totally be it, but not because of this connection necessarily.

D

Deleted member

How about this for a Brave connection:

She's already crossed over in the following:

Soul Calibur 6
Lord of Vermillion
Servant of Thrones
SINoALICE

You know pretty much Secret of Mana, Dragon Quest, Star Ocean, Just Cause, Tomb Raider and Ariana Grande among others have crossed over with Brave Exvius right?

KatKit

Smash Lord
Quite a long reach. This probably wasn’t even planned when Brave began development.

Besides... it’s a mobile game.
And I believe Sora got there first.
And before him, Slime and other DQ monsters.

I mean don’t get me wrong, 2B could totally be it, but not because of this connection necessarily.
There's a lot of legitimate reasons she has a shot, I just think that's a neat little coincidence at best since a lot of people mostly attribute Brave to like... 5 or so franchises (at least from what I've seen).

You know pretty much Secret of Mana, Dragon Quest, Star Ocean, Just Cause, Tomb Raider and Ariana Grande among others have crossed over with Brave Exvius right?
No chance at all outside of making her a Mii, but I'd main Ariana, TBH lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's a lot of legitimate reasons she has a shot, I just think that's a neat little coincidence at best since a lot of people mostly attribute Brave to like... 5 or so franchises (at least from what I've).

No chance at all outside of making her a Mii, but I'd main Ariana, TBH lol.
It was a joke :b

While I do believe 2B has a chance, the whole Brave Exvius connection is a bit reaching. I would imagine if Brave Exvius had an actual connection to Brave, it would make a FF character more likely.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think they might see it like that because he's talking about a specific game it could mean that it's not in (since he wouldnt talk about the ones he's working on)
Sakurai can do what he wants tho :p

Here's what twitter gave as the translation:
"Although the topic of "Chrono Trigger" has increased somehow to TL, this stage which was in "everyone's post" of "SSB SP" was interesting. Dragon Tank!! "
What does “TL” means?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What does “TL” means?
I'm guessing it means timeline.
Looking at the comments, pushdustin had a better translation:
He also explains why chrono trigger was popular that day, after.

Also, someone posted a pretty cool gif:

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
How do people here rate the chance of Brave being Lloyd or another Tales of Character?
I actually think there is a good chance, as I think the order of DLC characters will be Microsoft rep, Bandai Namco rep, Square Rep, Other (Koei Tecmo, Capcom, Bethesda). That being said if I had to bet I think Bandai Namco's rep will most likely be someone from Tekken or Soul Calibur. However you never know, they could want to draw more interest in their Tales series so putting Lloyd or Yuri is the way to do it. Despite the rumors that Erdrick is soon, we have to keep in mind that Nintendo has fooled leakers and insiders before. So having a Bandai Namco rep revealed at E3 and them being Brave is very possible.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I actually think there is a good chance, as I think the order of DLC characters will be Microsoft rep, Bandai Namco rep, Square Rep, Other (Koei Tecmo, Capcom, Bethesda). That being said if I had to bet I think Bandai Namco's rep will most likely be someone from Tekken or Soul Calibur. However you never know, they could want to draw more interest in their Tales series so putting Lloyd or Yuri is the way to do it. Despite the rumors that Erdrick is soon, we have to keep in mind that Nintendo has fooled leakers and insiders before. So having a Bandai Namco rep revealed at E3 and them being Brave is very possible.
I mean, if the Square rep isn't as early as the next one, I'm inclined to believe the insiders have been fooled. Impossible they had the info on a DLC that didn't even start production at the time

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I mean, if the Square rep isn't as early as the next one, I'm inclined to believe the insiders have been fooled. Impossible they had the info on a DLC that didn't even start production at the time
Yeah, if Brave has been worked on for the longest alongside the knowledge of Erdrick, well... if E3 comes and goes with no Erdrick, I'll honestly wonder if we were going to be getting an SE rep at all in the first place.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, if Brave has been worked on for the longest alongside the knowledge of Erdrick, well... if E3 comes and goes with no Erdrick, I'll honestly wonder if we were going to be getting an SE rep at all in the first place.
Yeah I think the Square rep will be the 2nd or 3rd dlc because it was the earliest one known or talked about.
Nobody knew about joker so it must've been kept very well secret but planned for quite a long time.

Guess it depends how long negotiations and plans take with a company.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I think there will be a Square rep, because logically it makes sense. Square loves cross promotion so it’s unlikely they will pass up the opportunity, now whether they will want a lot of money is another story. Leaks aside there is a huge possibility for a second Square rep, as there has been one in almost all recent fighting games Tekken7, Soul Calibur 6, Smash Ultimate. Not to mention with underwhelming reception of Dissidia( Squares own fighting game) it makes sense they’ll want to add Square characters to other fighting games to get cross promotion.

Now the Square rep being 4th or the 5th DLC rep is very possible if you take leaks and their association with Brave aside. The Square rep is not contingent on leaks being true, it’s very possible that Nintendo could fool insiders and leakers. And still show off a Square rep later on, while said character not being Erdrick. This is a very real possibility, so you never know. The one thing I know about this DLC fighter pass, is so far it’s been very unpredictable. It’s fooled leakers and insiders alike, so we’ll just have to wait and see. If we get Erdrick at E3, great I’ll be really happy for his fans, but if not it does not mean we won’t get a second Square rep and that it can’t be someone else.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think there will be a Square rep, because logically it makes sense. Square loves cross promotion so it’s unlikely they will pass up the opportunity, now whether they will want a lot of money is another story. Leaks aside there is a huge possibility for a second Square rep, as there has been one in almost all recent fighting games Tekken7, Soul Calibur 6, Smash Ultimate. Not to mention with underwhelming reception of Dissidia( Squares own fighting game) it makes sense they’ll want to add Square characters to other fighting games to get cross promotion.

Now the Square rep being 4th or the 5th DLC rep is very possible if you take leaks and their association with Brave aside. The Square rep is not contingent on leaks being true, it’s very possible that Nintendo could fool insiders and leakers. And still show off a Square rep later on, while said character is not Erdrick. This is a very real possibility, so you never know. The one thing I know about this DLC fighter pass, is so far it’s been very unpredictable. It’s fooled leakers and insiders alike, so we’ll just have to wait and see. If we get Erdrick at E3, great I’ll be really happy for his fans, but if not it does not mean we won’t get a second Square rep and that it can’t be someone else.
Yeah for sure even if somehow no square rep shows up soon it can still easily be one of the later dlc characters.
Looking at how Sega costumes came along with joker, existing companies seem to have a big enough chance for getting more characters in, I feel like.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah for sure even if somehow no square rep shows up soon it can still easily be one of the later dlc characters.
Looking at how Sega costumes came along with joker, existing companies seem to have a big enough chance for getting more characters in, I feel like.
Especially in the case of Square, given Cloud is in the base game, I could see them trying to milk Smash for all its worth. Unlike a lot of their recent crossovers outside of Jump Force, their inclusion here isn't a paid one. They'll try to get as much out of that Smash cow as they can, I think.

Not only that, but Nintendo and Square also seem to be quite buddy-buddy lately. While the other Square reps have relevance today (aside from poor Crono, who is dependent on a hell of a lot of factors), hopefully that means something good for Geno (that is NOT Smash) in the future. I've given up hope on him unless we get individual DLC or more season passes, so all I care about is a return for him otherwise. Erdrick getting in with Geno's Mii costume, then Geno getting spotlight in his actual home series again would honestly be the best case scenario now, at least realistically.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Especially in the case of Square, given Cloud is in the base game, I could see them trying to milk Smash for all its worth. Unlike a lot of their recent crossovers outside of Jump Force, their inclusion here isn't a paid one. They'll try to get as much out of that Smash cow as they can, I think.

Not only that, but Nintendo and Square also seem to be quite buddy-buddy lately. While the other Square reps have relevance today (aside from poor Crono, who is dependent on a hell of a lot of factors), hopefully that means something good for Geno (that is NOT Smash) in the future. I've given up hope on him unless we get individual DLC or more season passes, so all I care about is a return for him otherwise. Erdrick getting in with Geno's Mii costume, then Geno getting spotlight in his actual home series again would honestly be the best case scenario now, at least realistically.
Yeah hopefully at the very least Geno's costume will come back and buying will show nintendo that people still think about him and their relationship with square being better makes it easier to have more of something from him later on.

We dont know what deal nintendo made to have Cloud back. But SE definitely had a little bit of leverage since Sakurai wanted all characters to come back. SE has a lot of awesome characters regardless anyway, so at the end of the day, all that plus the leaks just gives square a lot of chance to have more in smash. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah hopefully at the very least Geno's costume will come back and buying will show nintendo that people still think about him and their relationship with square being better makes it easier to have more of something from him later on.

We dont know what deal nintendo made to have Cloud back. But SE definitely had a little bit of leverage since Sakurai wanted all characters to come back. SE has a lot of awesome characters regardless anyway, so at the end of the day, all that plus the leaks just gives square a lot of chance to have more in smash. :)
Imagine if the leverage was 2 DLC spots :b

That would've solved about half of the issues in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calane

Smash Ace
I don't think I agree that Erdrick has to be the next character reveal. My logic goes as such:

Tansut (the biggest thing Erdrick has going for him) said that the DQ character was in a very early state when he first heard about it. This tells me that, however early he was at the time, Erdrick at least started development. Since we now know Sakurai was working on two other DLC fighters around the same time as Joker, it leads to the conclusion that Erdrick has to either be the 2nd or 3rd DLC character for the rumors to be true.

Given that Tansut said the DQ character would have male and female versions like Robin & Corrin (meaning this DQ character is almost certainly Erdrick), and one of these two upcoming DLC characters are code-named "Brave", I'd say Erdrick has a pretty decent chance currently.

The way I see it, Erdrick doesn't necessarily have to be the next reveal. He just needs to be 3rd if he's not 2nd (if the rumors are true in the first place).

Hope this makes sense. The last thing I want to do is sound like an idiot.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

Now the Square rep being 4th or the 5th DLC rep is very possible if you take leaks and their association with Brave aside. The Square rep is not contingent on leaks being true, it’s very possible that Nintendo could fool insiders and leakers. And still show off a Square rep later on, while said character not being Erdrick. This is a very real possibility, so you never know. The one thing I know about this DLC fighter pass, is so far it’s been very unpredictable. It’s fooled leakers and insiders alike, so we’ll just have to wait and see. If we get Erdrick at E3, great I’ll be really happy for his fans, but if not it does not mean we won’t get a second Square rep and that it can’t be someone else.
I wasn't questioning a Square rep to be a thing.
I'm just saying that Erdrick's chances would look dimmer in my eyes, given his main strength in the community speculation IS the amount of leakers backing him being known for almost a year now
And I bet 100% we're getting Square content for DLC

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So I don't see any talks about Super Smash Bros. official youtube account here. It seems like they uploaded something.
People are talking about this since yesterday. Is this only Japan thing? I'm not sure.

Edit:
I'm talking about this channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4PG9qx9x2s

Subscribe than you'll see a blue dot on your subscribed channel list.
Apparently this account only used for new fighter's reveals and those short introduction videos.
This was found about 27 hours ago.
Crossposting this from the newcomer speculation thread. It smells to me like the next character is slowly approaching...

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Could that just be Joker's 30-second showcase video? He doesn't have one yet. Not sure why they would be coy about that, though.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I wasn't questioning a Square rep to be a thing.
I'm just saying that Erdrick's chances would look dimmer in my eyes, given his main strength in the community speculation IS the amount of leakers backing him being known for almost a year now
And I bet 100% we're getting Square content for DLC
Ah I apologize my friend I misunderstood you, and yeah it would definitely hurt Erdrick’s chances if he is not Brave. E3 is not that far away now so hopefully we will see soon.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Crossposting this from the newcomer speculation thread. It smells to me like the next character is slowly approaching...
Can you explain the blue dot thing? What does it have to do with character trailers over regular videos?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Can you explain the blue dot thing? What does it have to do with character trailers over regular videos?
The blue dot is a notification of a new video uploaded, yet there is no video publicly seen. It's either private or unlisted. I can only imagine it isn't able to be seen right now because it has info they don't want revealed yet. It happened before with Ken and Incineroar.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
May 7th is a date I've been seeing thrown around in speculation circles. I suppose we'll find out if there's any truth to that soon.

The Smash bros Youtube channel only has character reveal trailers and those introduction videos. Joker may not get one because he's got essentially a full breakdown already on his page already. There's no real need for a showcase video. So I assume most people are looking at it as a reveal being imminent.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The blue dot is a notification of a new video uploaded, yet there is no video publicly seen. It's either private or unlisted. I can only imagine it isn't able to be seen right now because it has info they don't want revealed yet. It happened before with Ken and Incineroar.
Cool, thanks. I'm definitely curious now :)

May 7th is a date I've been seeing thrown around in speculation circles. I suppose we'll find out if there's any truth to that soon.

The Smash bros Youtube channel only has character reveal trailers and those introduction videos. Joker may not get one because he's got essentially a full breakdown already on his page already. There's no real need for a showcase video. So I assume most people are looking at it as a reveal being imminent.
There's actually other kinds of videos, if you look at the video list in there (altho the channel's structure is different..). So it could be any kind, but if you look at what Oval said, being a hidden video could maybe mean something.

Edit: Thinking about the timing, I dont know much what they'd want to upload besides something new, so maybe it's looking better than i thought ;p

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Ah I apologize my friend I misunderstood you, and yeah it would definitely hurt Erdrick’s chances if he is not Brave. E3 is not that far away now so hopefully we will see soon.
No need to apologize, my good sir.
I think that either way, we'll have a Square rep.
Cloud is still the most used character in Smash, they've heard our complaints of the FF representation being barren, and today S-E is overall much closer to Nintendo.
The thing is, if Erdrick isn't one of the two characters being worked on, then his chances are much lower.
Ironically, I think if Sephiroth were to be shown, E3 would be his "last chance", and I would bet on Erdrick afterwards 100%
The VII Remake hype will be in full force there, so it would make a ton of sense to capitalize on it with Nintendo.

The question is:
how much time did it take last time for the blue dot to show up before the reveal?

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Cloud is still the most used character in Smash, they've heard our complaints of the FF representation being barren, and today S-E is overall much closer to Nintendo.
The thing is, if Erdrick isn't one of the two characters being worked on, then his chances are much lower.
Ironically, I think if Sephiroth were to be shown, E3 would be his "last chance", and I would bet on Erdrick afterwards 100%
The VII Remake hype will be in full force there, so it would make a ton of sense to capitalize on it with Nintendo.

The question is:
how much time did it take last time for the blue dot to show up before the reveal?
Weren't there a blue dotted video published a couple of days before that rumored Nintendo direct that turned out to be bogus? If so.. do we have info of what it was now?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

The question is:
There was no blue dot last time. It was people noticing that the playlist was edited. Nintendo ****s with playlists a lot for some reason, so in the end it turned up to be nothing.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

What's happening may 7?

Top Bottom