• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

I will fully admit as someone who...doesn't care for Bayo that the theory she was done only for promotion was mainly put forward because of salt. That said, I myself still have a hard time letting go of the idea that the ballot honestly meant nothing for Smash 4, and IMO there is evidence that leans towards that.

However, that doesn't mean I'm gonna be rude to or insult those who wanted her and liked her, or have a differing opinion than mine on what the ballot really meant back in the day. The truth of the matter is that we don't have the numbers for that ballot, we only have what Nintendo told us. We will never know what actually happened behind the scenes.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I will fully admit as someone who...doesn't care for Bayo that the theory she was done only for promotion was mainly put forward because of salt. That said, I myself still have a hard time letting go of the idea that the ballot honestly meant nothing for Smash 4, and IMO there is evidence that leans towards that.

However, that doesn't mean I'm gonna be rude to or insult those who wanted her and liked her, or have a differing opinion than mine on what the ballot really meant back in the day. The truth of the matter is that we don't have the numbers for that ballot, we only have what Nintendo told us. We will never know what actually happened behind the scenes.
I don't think people are salty about bayo being possibly promotion, but more that she was developped and data showed up of her in a patch really early, meaning that she was already planned either before or not long after the ballot. Considering how long it can take to get things going.
Or maybe nintendo already had quite a few relations for characters ready and went with an easy one as soon as they saw a decent amount of votes coming in.

I dont think they would lie about her being one of the most requested in europe, so I kind of lean towards the last thing I said.
I think bayo is cool. I think they should make her a bit more fun in ultimate if they can.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
This thread needs to get back on topic.

So insiders say that Erdrick's name has been "heard" over and over and over again, but have they ever seen him? I'm wondering how similar it is to the Incineroar situation.

D

Deleted member

So insiders say that Erdrick's name has been "heard" over and over and over again, but have they ever seen him? I'm wondering how similar it is to the Incineroar situation.
I'm curious if the information is really spreading around that much, or is it just people parroting a popular piece of speculation? A lot of people didn't start saying Erdrick specifically until after Brave was found, if I recall correctly.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I've read that people are just leaning toward Erdrick due to hearing him the most, but not actually seeing him.

People who knew about Incineroar actually saw him I think.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

I mean if what Sakurai said in the Nov. 1st Direct is true, Erdrick wouldn’t have been worked on until late Nov/early Dec at best.

So it really comes down to whether or not anyone has seen Erdrick in person over the past couple of months.

And I’m really skeptical of this happening.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

No because verge says it's the name he's heard the most from whatever sources he has, but that's about it. Tansut didn't go into detail. And the original leak didn't say how they got the information. And then Brave was in the data, and people made a lot of connections because of that.

There could be more info out there that hasn't been talked about a lot tho. dunno.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No because verge says it's the name he's heard the most from whatever sources he has, but that's about it. Tansut didn't go into detail. And the original leak didn't say how they got the information. And then Brave was in the data, and people made a lot of connections because of that.

There could be more info out there that hasn't been talked about a lot tho. dunno.
Tansut did say though that they would have male/female alts, it's one piece of a much larger puzzle but it shows that there is at least some degree of information other than the fact that they possibly exist is out there.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Tansut did say though that they would have male/female alts, it's one piece of a much larger puzzle but it shows that there is at least some degree of information other than the fact that they possibly exist is out there.
Sure. Well verge also said that he heard a lot of Luminary too around this. And that's what the original leak claimed too. .. Do these sources just latch on to that kind of leak, or are they sharing their original take? I would think they wouldnt just say stuff because of some random leak but he doesn't talk about his sources much, so i dunno.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Nothing similiar at all. And yeah we already covered this, it's only been heard. Nothing solid whatsoever has come out as evidence or as 100% certainty from Vergeben or any trustworthy source. Just whispers.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Another thing: did Tansut back the 5chan leak in its entirety or just Erdrick? Sorry if this is old discussion, I'm just trying to get caught up.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Another thing: did Tansut back the 5chan leak in its entirety or just Erdrick? Sorry if this is old discussion, I'm just trying to get caught up.
He didn't say much. He didn't back the leak, just kind of confirmed that it had something going, well, only that he heard it was Erdrick with female alt.
He didn't mention luminary or or stages or anything else, as far as I know.

D

Deleted member

Only things he has said is that Erdrick is happening, they will have male/female alts, and not to expect a reveal soon.
I would assume his source is at SE (since he also leaked Cloud for Smash 4), so I doubt he would have any info on other characters.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Only things he has said is that Erdrick is happening, they will have male/female alts, and not to expect a reveal soon.
I would assume his source is at SE (since he also leaked Cloud for Smash 4), so I doubt he would have any info on other characters.
I remember the day before the final Smash direct, he made a post saying that he believes the Grinch leak is fake based on a conversation he had with someone he trusted.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Hm, I'm half-wondering if that puts a spike into 5chan. I still don't believe it personally, someone would have to have access to many resources to know that much.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hm, I'm half-wondering if that puts a spike into 5chan. I still don't believe it personally, someone would have to have access to many resources to know that much.
Yes I think it's fake, it was based on another leak from 2 days before which only had joker and Erdrick. (with good info abput persona and stuff)
I still havent made a longer post about that, but i may sometime.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The people who usually know so much in detail (and early in most cases), are usually people very high in the job roles (like treehouse or whatever). And those people are never leaking stuff, they aren't stupid enough to lose their jobs nor they have interest on doing so either. Leaks like that are always fake.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I think it’s safe to say the 5ch leak is fake. Erdrick was gaining steam in other leaks at the time, so that poster probably included him because of that.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If a leaker says they know all 5 DLC characters and their reasoning please do not consider them for more then a second.
Even Verge, even PolarPanda, even every leak messiah we follow doesn't know any more then Erdrick. 3 slots totally unaccounted for.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I think the 5ch leak is fake, especially because of the MC costume for Steve. Add on to the fact that the person claims it to be from a western reddit post which was never found leads me to believe that he's a guy having fun and using prior leaks to try and get lucky.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I've leaked the remaining 4 characters:

1. Lolo: everyone got the name wrong, it's not Loto / Erdrick, it's in fact Lolo from Hal Laboratory's seminal Adventures of Lolo game series. His moveset involves several references to the classic "Dragon Quest" series of games, with their Final Smash being "Puff", where Lolo transforms into a dragon and sears his opponents with intense flames.
  2. Banjo-Ptooie: people are spreading rumors that Banjo-Kazooie are going to be DLC, but that's just leak bait: Nintendo only cooperated with Microsoft to include Banjo. A Ptooie from Super Mario Bros. 3 is what resides in Banjo's backpack now.
  3. Master Hand with a gun: Doomguy was rumored to be in and people were saying that it made sense, since he perfectly represented the FPS genre. However, Sakurai felt it was more important to capture the essence of what first person games usually show from that kind of perspective, so he never considered Doomguy and wanted to make a disembodied hand with a firearm playable instead. Congrats, Super Smash Bros. fans, now you can finally play as Master Hand in non single player modes after all these years!
  4. Sora: they're not actually in the game, people are misrepresenting the company logo of Sora, Ltd. being a playable character.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
My friends at NoA are saying direct "maybe next week".
Hmmm. Interesting they say "maybe". Perhaps they have stuff implying one is next week but aren't sure yet. Will have to wait and see. My NoA contact does not like asking about directs but whenever he does, I'll continue sharing here.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post: media-only spam
Hmmm. Interesting they say "maybe". Perhaps they have stuff implying one is next week but aren't sure yet. Will have to wait and see. My NoA contact does not like asking about directs but whenever he does, I'll continue sharing here.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Me when the direct finally airs.
skeleton keyboard.jpg

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Still waiting for that direct!

Off topic, I rewatched this episode of Futurama recently and I think the ending is unearned, as the main plot already resolved Fry and Bender's emotional arcs by the time they showed the montage, so the notorious tragic sadness of it felt forced as a result. I did cry at it as a kid, but these days I think Luck of the Fryish is a better sad episode by a long shot.

On topic, I think a Nintendo Direct is long overdue. The last one that wasn't an indie showcase was back in September. After that, November had a Smash Direct and the shame awards had the Joker reveal, but it's been radio silence since. In terms of general Nintendo Directs, it will have been half a year since the previous one if it does come next week.

Even besides Smash DLC news, I want more news on Luigi's Mansion 3, possible news on the Pikmin front (I'd love a port of the first two games, at least, since Pikmin 3 would be tough to port), a release date for the FF7, 9, 10, and 10-2 ports they announced a while back, and maybe even a new Switch model that's more portable and less expensive like the rumors have been saying. I need this advertising injected into my veins like the filthy dirty Nintendo fanboy I am.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Oh dont worry guys you will get the direct soon enough, meanwhile i will still be waiting for VII remake news, lol

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Oh dont worry guys you will get the direct soon enough, meanwhile i will still be waiting for VII remake news, lol
I do think there's a big chance Square Enix will finally get around to proceeding to work on it soon, especially since they just finished and released their other "never ever" game with Kingdom Hearts 3.

Me though, I'm going to need to be convinced that it's worth picking up. I'm currently happy with just the Switch port of the original game.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I do think there's a big chance Square Enix will finally get around to proceeding to work on it soon, especially since they just finished and released their other "never ever" game with Kingdom Hearts 3.

Me though, I'm going to need to be convinced that it's worth picking up. I'm currently happy with just the Switch port of the original game.
Actually, they didn't need to "proceed working on it" because the game has already been in steady development for a year or so now. You mean the PR will finally move on, which is what Nomura confirmed. It's a matter of time before we get news. Imagine if it's in the next Direct!! :o

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Well to keep the discussions up are there any other franchises that you want in smash either 3rd party or Nintendo owned that you guys want in the game? Mine are Ys,No more heros,Resident Evil and Ninja Gaiden

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Off topic, I rewatched this episode of Futurama recently and I think the ending is unearned, as the main plot already resolved Fry and Bender's emotional arcs by the time they showed the montage, so the notorious tragic sadness of it felt forced as a result. I did cry at it as a kid, but these days I think Luck of the Fryish is a better sad episode by a long shot.
Well, if it's any consolation, they did retcon it with the first movie thankfully.
a release date for the FF7, 9,
It does certainly feel odd that they've specifically held off on announcements of those two's release dates.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Well to keep the discussions up are there any other franchises that you want in smash either 3rd party or Nintendo owned that you guys want in the game? Mine are Ys,No more heros,Resident Evil and Ninja Gaiden
You don't know how much I want Master Higgins, I love adventure Island and Super Adventure Island 2 is one my fav games of all times I mean.. LOOK AT IT, HE IS A GOODE BOI

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
That's why I'm not shouting for it like I do for Geno, The Adventure Island series are pretty dead anyways
So is konami only thing they brought to the switch is a alright bomber man game and a yu gi oh game this year I guess its sad because alot of the stuff they own would be perfect for the platform if they just capitalized on it

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
So is konami only thing they brought to the switch is a alright bomber man game and a yu gi oh game this year I guess its sad because alot of the stuff they own would be perfect for the platform if they just capitalized on it
Yeah, SE may be hard to work with but KONAMI is just "Stupid", at least for me who was lovely attached to the origins of the Company.
Now it's like "NOPE MINE" on DDR Music, etc and "NOPE, DEAD" with pretty good franchrises like Castlevania

But hey, they announced PES 2020 :4pacman:

Last edited:
Top Bottom