• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Calane

Smash Ace
In case anyone hasn't seen it.
So, wait, all this talk about "Brave" being shorter than Luigi is inaccurate then? If this stuff only changes how big the character's model is, and doesn't actually indicate how tall or short they are, then that would mean Erdrick may still be possible.

By the way this reads, it sounds like he's saying the height/size thing only changes how big someone's existing model is. So, for example, you'd be able to make Kirby giant, or Bowser really small, but their actual models would remain the same regardless of being sized-up or sized-down. Sort of like grabbing a Super or Poison Mushroom, basically.

If I'm understanding this correctly, then nothing actually indicates how tall or short Brave's actual model is, right?

D

Deleted member

People are interpreting what isn't necessarily a slide as a slide. The character just has difficulty coming to a stop, doesn't mean they're slippy.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
People are interpreting what isn't necessarily a slide as a slide. The character just has difficulty coming to a stop, doesn't mean they're slippy.
I mean as far as Smash is concerned though the only place traction really comes in is coming to a stop (unless I'm mistaken) so wouldn't that be the only place you would need to look to call someone "slippy"?

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
I really hope Brave ends up being Slime. Slime I feel is a solid rep for the entire Dragon Quest series seeing as it's basically the mascot and there are some fun moveset opportunities with it

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
That's still not anyone else.

Yeah right. How come he didn't say anything before the Grinch then?

Maybe not the full roster, be could've still said something about some of the leaked characters like Isabelle or Incineroar if he knew anything. And it's not like all ERA insiders shut their mouth on Smash, there was one guy who worked at VG247 who considered the Grinch hoax fake because he had his own source telling him about Incineroar.

Difference is, we still hear Vergeben leaking stuff, and top of that, accurate information. Ryce, even though he was still victimizing himself over his ban on NeoGAF for the Mind Stone comment, preferred to stay silent on any topic, and that includes Smash.

No, he didn't. It's one thing to discuss a topic privately because you aren't sure about certain info and it's another one to say you trust them, which he didn't, and why the whole topic got debunked before the August direct.
This is a lot to unpack but I can add more weight to your statements.
1. Stealth_ also backs up MC being in Smash. He tweeted about how "everyone" knows about Minecraft discussions between Nintendo and Microsoft, but tried to argue Verge is "reaching". Stealth just argues it may not be playable steve. However, there is no MC content and we are into DLC now, so it's very possible for it to have its own DLC pack as opposed to just giving one of the biggest franchises out there only a spirit.
2. The "Steve was playable in a beta version of the game" is something that went around in Verge's circle and of course to him, but it's not what he or anybody else is solely basing this off of. That is just a different bit of info that (as we know by now) was probably faked.
3. Regardless of Verge's credibility, Microsoft discussions with Nintendo did happen. The outcome of it giving us Steve is still unclear, however. And this is why Verge is not going all in on Steve yet.

Personally, I believe it is reasonable for one to predict or use this as an argument for Steve because it's very possible. Is it what we get? Who knows, but I won't deny it sounds believable.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
1. Stealth_ also backs up MC being in Smash. He tweeted about how "everyone" knows about Minecraft discussions between Nintendo and Microsoft, but tried to argue Verge is "reaching". Stealth just argues it may not be playable steve. However, there is no MC content and we are into DLC now, so it's very possible for it to have its own DLC pack as opposed to just giving one of the biggest franchises out there only a spirit.
2. The "Steve was playable in a beta version of the game" is something that went around in Verge's circle and of course to him, but it's not what he or anybody else is solely basing this off of. That is just a different bit of info that (as we know by now) was probably faked.
3. Regardless of Verge's credibility, Microsoft discussions with Nintendo did happen. The outcome of it giving us Steve is still unclear, however. And this is why Verge is not going all in on Steve yet.

Personally, I believe it is reasonable for one to predict or use this as an argument for Steve because it's very possible. Is it what we get? Who knows, but I won't deny it sounds believable.
I've got a question what was up with Nintendo yesterday why did they drop Yoshi and Kirby announcements like that did it mean something or was it just random

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

I think Minecraft getting a Mii costume seems like about the most likely scenario from any Microsoft talks and feels like about the best fit for Minecraft content.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
PolarPanda PolarPanda no direct announcement today. I think it's curtains for the January 10th rumor. How certain would you say it is that we'll still get a direct by next week based on your NoA source?

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Welp... so much for a Direct announcement.

But to pass the time, here's a Square rep/ "Brave" character meme I made:
meme-2.png

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think Minecraft getting a Mii costume seems like about the most likely scenario from any Microsoft talks and feels like about the best fit for Minecraft content.
I doubt they’re gonna go to a third party just for a mii costume, it’s usually bonus content if they already have a fighter.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I doubt they’re gonna go to a third party just for a mii costume, it’s usually bonus content if they already have a fighter.
ehh call it wishful thinking lol

but nah I think in this case they might see Mii Costumes as easy ways to include more 3rd parties without having to do a full character for them. It might also explain why they met with Bethesda too.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
All January directs have been past the 10th. The wait just started guys, lol

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
All January directs have been past the 10th. The wait just started guys, lol
They'll probably announce something today and then drop something Friday its happened on a Friday before if I'm correct

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Brave is Erdrick I mean Jesus Christ the guy who leaked Cloud in Smash 4 came out and said it was him. Erdrick has all 5 infinity leakers in his gauntlet. You really don't need anymore proof. This is like 'Kencineroar' all over again.
Based and DQpilled
It still shows that insiders had some sort of knowledge about him. Mewtwo and Lucas had nothing and neither did Corrin and Bayo. (Roy and Ryu leaks might have been stopped due to the datamine though).
Cloud was the only one who we know someone had knowledge about before his reveal.

Everything's been pointing to Erdrick but all you can say is "what if it's leakbait?".
Every insider has said it's Erdrick and "Brave" points to him more than anyone else. Ignoring all of this is the same that people did during pre-release when every insider said the same about Incineroar. If you insist on repeating history then I'll say it again: this is the same **** as Incineroar all over again.

Infinite IQ Brain: smol crono
View attachment 186124
Samurai Teen Gohan

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Brave is Erdrick I mean Jesus Christ the guy who leaked Cloud in Smash 4 came out and said it was him. Erdrick has all 5 infinity leakers in his gauntlet. You really don't need anymore proof. This is like 'Kencineroar' all over again.
Again I say this...

We got a codename, a company (possibly) related to that codename, and potential names being thrown around.

That's it.

Just because more people are saying one name more than others, does NOT mean, in any way, that Erdrick is guaranteed to get in.

Anyone who's 100% confident in Erdrick and doesn't acknowledge the fact that he's nowhere near a lock, is doing themselves a disservice.

Because if the character turns out NOT to be Erdrick, you're gonna feel stupid for believing in that character and fall into the speculation trap that consumed many fans of other characters.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Where is the idea coming from that the name is a "code?" Piranha Plant is straight up listed as Pakkun. They seem to be shortnames more than anything - "Jack" is probably very similar to the first syllable of "Joker" in Katakana. I think if they wanted to obfuscate this data, it would straight up not be in the game, or at the very least, list them as Marios like the Smash 4 DLC did after Roy/Ryu.

Untouch

Smash Master
Where is the idea coming from that the name is a "code?" Piranha Plant is straight up listed as Pakkun. They seem to be shortnames more than anything - "Jack" is probably very similar to the first syllable of "Joker" in Katakana. I think if they wanted to obfuscate this data, it would straight up not be in the game, or at the very least, list them as Marios like the Smash 4 DLC did after Roy/Ryu.
I tried to look into this.
Joker's name in Japanese is literally "Joker" in Japanese.

"Joker" translated into Japanese direct is "Joka", there's a bit of a connection there.
I wonder if they started with Jack Frost or something first? (I doubt it but still)

Last edited:

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to Yoshi's Crafted World release date...i am pretty sure we aren't getting a Normal Direct this month...Pokemon Direct on the other hand.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Packu is used for :ultpiranha:. Which is not the exact name for it in Japanese (Pakkun flower), but it still close to the actual name/references it.
Joker literally has the same name in Japanese: Joker. Jack isn't a shortname, but it still references something Joker-related.

Edit: I've also seen it translated to Joka. But that's the closest thing to Jack I've seen.

Brave can definitely reference Erdrick or something DQ related, but it's not the ONLY option. Which was my main point.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Ryce should be enough imo to count as a pretty good point against it. He's a big deal leaker iirc.
Also I'd love to hear why Steve, who sources have said has a fully working model and some said was even playable, isn't even in the code while Joker and Brave are.
keep in mind Ryce:
-said Ant-Man would be in MvCi
-doubted a reveal at TGAs and thought it would be 2 months later.
-said Vergeben (actually Xenother's) Erdrick rumor was fanfiction until other ERA insiders started saying the same.
-so out of touch of Vergeben's smash rumors, he labeled the Erdrick rumors as "another Vergeben leak" hence the above note. (only thing from Verge so far was the S-E list and the bolded "it's not Sora" claim as of late)

and he recently switched to being skeptical of 5ch rumor right after Erdrick got lifted up by more insiders.

i wouldn't view Ryce as a "super critical" insider if he's just too busy throwing rocks at another insider's claims blindly and some other stuff.
especially when keeps reminding people he knows no DLC character or wouldn't think Minecraft DLC is unlikely regardless, each time he makes a opinion on rumors.

plus we already techinically know the DLC is being done differently right after they introduced the Fighters Pass and Reggie's statement on how the DLC is gonna mostly be.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
-said Ant-Man would be in MvCi
It got clarified that Ant Man was cut from the game.
he labeled the Erdrick rumors as "another Vergeben leak"
Do we know explicitly what he meant by that? He could've been describing the qualities of it, as he's expressed doubt in Vergeben before for various legit reasons.
and he recently switched to being skeptical of 5ch rumor right after Erdrick got lifted up by more insiders.
I thought you said he was already expressing doubt. How could he switch to it then?
-doubted a reveal at TGAs and thought it would be 2 months later.
Kinda goes for most leakers. If we're gonna go after him for a detail like that, then we might as well also go after Verge for getting the first DLC spot wrong and so far having nothing to show for his DLC predictions.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Kinda goes for most leakers. If we're gonna go after him for a detail like that, then we might as well also go after Verge for getting the first DLC spot wrong and so far having nothing to show for his DLC predictions.
To be fair, this is a good reason to be skeptical of Verg's knowledge of DLC. His first information is wrong, and we never saw MC content either. He obviously had information, but some stuff he might not ever actually knew(whether some of his sources lied or there was leakbait).

----------------------------

Though yeah, I agree with the others that Jack is no shortname. It's a codename, probably referencing Joker. The name Jack can have a lot of different meanings. It's easily connected to Joker, but until we get more information, it's just a good guesstimate based upon data we have.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
To be fair, this is a good reason to be skeptical of Verg's knowledge of DLC. His first information is wrong, and we never saw MC content either. He obviously had information, but some stuff he might not ever actually knew(whether some of his sources lied or there was leakbait).
Thanks. Pretty much ties into my point. We've only got hearsay about Minecraft so far. And it's hearsay that's evolved from supposedly being in the base roster, to being DLC, to being possible just a boss and/or some music.

I won't deny that it's not impossible, but it really feels like the only reason people are finding it likely is becuase of a leak that even Verge himself hasn't shown solid confidence in.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
So, the character slides, right?

They also have a good jump, and they're fast.

However, they're heavy and they fall fast...

It's definitely a small King Slime with an iron suit inside it.

I'd honestly like DQ Slime a lot even though I haven't played DQ; from its design and what I've read from wikipedia, I'm interested in the franchise.
"iron suit" huh?
ErdrickArmor.png

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I agree. My prediction is that Banjo and Kazooie will be one of the new fighters, and Minecraft Mii costumes will come out of that.
I'd be privy to see Master Cheif or Banjo as the fighter, Minecraft providing a stage and/or mii costumes. and all three contributing some music tunes.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
One thing I want to say about the leak that seems fishy to me is them saying that Erdrick has an Anlucia costume. While Anlucia is a popular character from the online game, I'm not sure I can find anything linking her with Erdrick in a meaningful way, and more importantly, she uses a rapier and not a normal sword like the others. Her properties might also have to be a little different anyway just based on her appearance, including weight/speed/height, etc. Apparently "Brave" is somewhat heavy? And Sakurai already said that Isabelle couldn't be an echo because of different animations and personality. So that part doesn't make much sense to me.

Since Anlucia is also one of the more popular characters in Japan, but unknown in the west, it also seems like a uniquely Japanese aspect of the leak, the idea of them lumping in a bunch of popular characters with Erdrick already seems like wishful thinking tbh.

DQX_Ann-Lucia.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, Verg didn't change anything for me. Steve was always super likely to me due to being a high profile iconic character, highly relevant(which is more what Microsoft would push) and the fact Minecraft is doing a lot of stuff with Nintendo like the Creeper themed 3DS.

D

Deleted member

One thing I want to say about the leak that seems fishy to me is them saying that Erdrick has an Anlucia costume. While Anlucia is a popular character from the online game, I'm not sure I can find anything linking her with Erdrick in a meaningful way, and more importantly, she uses a rapier and not a normal sword like the others. Her properties might also have to be a little different anyway just based on her appearance, including weight/speed/height, etc. Apparently "Brave" is somewhat heavy? And Sakurai already said that Isabelle couldn't be an echo because of different animations and personality. So that part doesn't make much sense to me.

Since Anlucia is also one of the more popular characters in Japan, but unknown in the west, it also seems like a uniquely Japanese aspect of the leak, the idea of them lumping in a bunch of popular characters with Erdrick already seems like wishful thinking tbh.

As far as I'm aware none of the known insiders have mentioned Anlucia at all, only random text leaks on 5ch. That said though from my knowledge of DQX I don't think she would be too farfetched as an alt, even with the rapier.

D

Deleted member

I'm just amazed by the hate of Steve being a potential fighter. Don't know how likely he is but could make a good rep in the hands of Sakurai.

Frankly this discussion about leakers and codenames is getting redundant. Leakers have been shown wrong and right from time to time(especially Vergeben and Ryce), and the whole codename could be something relatively simple we're overthinking or something completely outside of our ability to guess.

As far as I'm aware none of the known insiders have mentioned Anlucia at all, only random text leaks on 5ch. That said though from my knowledge of DQX I don't think she would be too farfetched as an alt, even with the rapier.
Main issue with Anlucia is how unknown is to us western players to think about how she fits as an alt.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Well I guess I'm just talking about that leak then. Erdrick still seems likely, I could see him having similar properties to "Brave". I just don't think we'll get those exact five.

Untouch

Smash Master
Looking on the Square Enix store, the only main characters that have merch are Aluncia, Erdrick, Luminary, the Prince and DQ1's protag.
I don't think it'd odd to say the "leaker" did their research so they may know these are the characters being promoted right now. The last 2 were added to the store in 2016.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Master Chief has already been deconfirmed, so there's that.

I still think we will see bear and bird before we see box boy.
Actually, he hasn't. Read the context. MC's data does not exist in the game. The game the person downloaded. There is no context of why he isn't DLC beyond that. He's a character with no data in the game at best. Doesn't mean anything beyond that. More important, this makes it look more like he's trying to say poor vague information to avoid breaking an NDA. But then how can he say anything at all? So it could mean they aren't involved in Smash instead. Or he's saying a literal statement(MC is not currently DLC, which is true if his data isn't in there) and can't say anything beyond that. This is one of those cares where he shouldn't have tweeted.

In other words, it means as much as Toon Link's Down Air tip in Ultimate. Nothing.

StormC

Smash Hero
Actually, he hasn't. Read the context. MC's data does not exist in the game. The game the person downloaded. There is no context of why he isn't DLC beyond that. He's a character with no data in the game at best. Doesn't mean anything beyond that. More important, this makes it look more like he's trying to say poor vague information to avoid breaking an NDA. But then how can he say anything at all? So it could mean they aren't involved in Smash instead. Or he's saying a literal statement(MC is not currently DLC, which is true if his data isn't in there) and can't say anything beyond that. This is one of those cares where he shouldn't have tweeted.

In other words, it means as much as Toon Link's Down Air tip in Ultimate. Nothing.
This is the current director of the Halo franchise saying a character is not DLC for Smash. There's no NDA saying you can't say your character isn't in Smash if they aren't. Otherwise every developer in the industry would be signing an NDA for Smash.

I guarantee you this guy is not playing 4D Chess on Twitter with fans who are hoping for Master Chief DLC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom