• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
We've already well established though, that the girth of one's sales doesn't dictate their likelihood. Again, nothing really makes Minecraft notably "more likely". Lord knows, people weren't expecting Joker because of similar reasons.
Again, until something concrete comes up, they're all on the same level. No more and no less. Obviously considering how Sakurai has spoken highly of Ace Attorney, Dragon Quest, etc.
Can you define what you mean by same level?
This sounds dumb but what do you mean? They're more likely then some, or?
Just to clarify.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Can you define what you mean by same level?
This sounds dumb but what do you mean? They're more likely then some, or?
Just to clarify.
I think he means that any reasonable 3rd Party has an equal chance of getting in. Unless something substantial comes up that makes them more likely.

That’s my interpretation.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Metaknight is 9 and Kirby is 9.5.

So it doesn't seem like there's a direct linear correlation but there's something worth comparing here.
I mean, there has to be some kind of linear correlation This is clearly at least an interval scale, if not a ratio scale, so unless there's just straight up wrong information in the code, then there's a method to the madness.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So, the character slides, right?

They also have a good jump, and they're fast.

However, they're heavy and they fall fast...

It's definitely a small King Slime with an iron suit inside it.

I'd honestly like DQ Slime a lot even though I haven't played DQ; from its design and what I've read from wikipedia, I'm interested in the franchise.

Last edited:

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
Given S-E is not Squaresoft, and will very likely murder VII very soon (saying that as someone who is hyped for the Remake regardless), for the good of the game and brand:

View attachment 186142

I bet you anything that FFVIIR is coming to a Nintendo console, most likely the Switch, in 2020, 2021 at most.
And honestly, a Remake trailer in a Direct would probably be the most hype thing for me since I saw the reveal for Mario Odyssey and BotW.
Oof, I meant Binding Blade LOL

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Ok fine a certain 7th game in a series remade
Will not be surprised if/when we see both the VII Remake and even Kingdom Hearts 3 come to the Switch. If they feel confident enough to make a custom DQ11 version for the Switch, then it's well within the realms of possibility.
I think he means that any reasonable 3rd Party has an equal chance of getting in. Unless something substantial comes up that makes them more likely.

That’s my interpretation.
That's correct. Most amount to hearsay, and even Erdrick isn't exactly concrete though he is looking likely because he has more solid info and evidence, unlike Minecraft or the rest of the 3rd party pack.

Until further notice, any that aren't owned by Sony are on relatively equal footing in how "likely" they are technically.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Will not be surprised if/when we see both the VII Remake and even Kingdom Hearts 3 come to the Switch. If they feel confident enough to make a custom DQ11 version for the Switch, then it's well within the realms of possibility.
You think they'd be willing to re-do both Final Fantasy VII and Kingdom Hearts 3 from scratch? I'd be surprised if any Square game involving Nomura as a head developer appears on Switch at all, besides TWEWY.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
You think they'd be willing to re-do both Final Fantasy VII and Kingdom Hearts 3 from scratch? I'd be surprised if any Square game involving Nomura as a head developer appears on Switch at all, besides TWEWY.
Considering the series both have history with Nintendo, the fact that they wouldn't have to start from scratch, and the sales potential? Hell yes, especially if those games are both successful enough like DQ11 was.

D

Deleted member

While I don't rule out KH3 or FFVIIR on Switch, either as a streamable title or scaled down or for a Switch revision, I would say that a version built from the ground from any of those titles is a bit unlikely. The DQXI port seems to be a special case, as the creator seems to favor Nintendo whenever possible.

Untouch

Smash Master
So, the character slides, right?

They also have a good jump, and they're fast.

However, they're heavy and they fall fast...

It's definitely a small King Slime with an iron suit inside it.

I'd honestly like DQ Slime a lot even though I haven't played DQ; from its design and what I've read from wikipedia, I'm interested in the franchise.
Looks pretty floaty to me personally. Just his jump seems pretty poor.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's the Dragon Quest Builders protagonist.
  1. It explains why Nekoo heard the rep was "Hero".
  2. It explains the "Minecraft content".
  3. It explains the possible chibi-ness.
  4. It explains why tansut says they have male and female alts
  5. And if they were wearing the legendary armor it'd explain their weight stat.
Look into your heart.

(I kid.)
This is the worst outcome but I take it because it means no Steve.

Mind sharing where you found it? The parameters shown by _Mizumi seem to indicate brave speed is just average.

Stats seem to change a lot. Plant went from slowest to average, I want to know his fitness plan.
The secret is to grow legs.

If against all odds it turns out that Erdrick (or any DQ for that matter) is not dlc, how would everyone react? Would leakers lose credibility?
Depends on who is revealed. If it’s any other of the Square Seven, 2B, Neku or Lara I’m super pumped. If it’s a Bravely Default character I’m disappointed because I haven’t played it. Other wise I don’t know.

As for leakers I don’t know if any of them have any credibility right now.

Hey guys. Something interesting to note:

Nintendo just announced on Twitter the release dates for Yoshi’s Crafted World (March 29th) and Kirby’s Extra Epic Yarn (March 8th).

So that may/may not affect the chance of a Direct soon.
Yeah, seems like something they’d withhold until the Direct if it were to be the day after tomorrow.

Nemuresu Nemuresu No one is forcing you to choose who to support. I'm simply stating how Verge's lackluster track record outside of Smash Ultimate's base roster, compared to Ryce's track record overall has more people trusting the latter.

Might wanna keep it capped. He claims that he knew pretty much most of what Vergeben knew, and he has no reason to lie.

He simply chose not to leak it due to uncertainty and himself being more careful than Vergeben.
Ryce does have reason to lie: he claims to have credibility because currently, he doesn’t have any after ****ing up MvCI.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
There's a small issue with this comparison here: there weren't any rumours or leaks for that game's DLC (except for, ironically enough, Vergeben himself). The community had to literally guess every single fighter through Ed Boon's polls and what their silhouettes could tell us. That's how everyone saw Black Manta, Enchantress, a later on, the Atom (who only got guessed because of his CSS slot) coming; and why characters like Spawn, Azrael and John Constantine were expected. The reason why many were thinking Raiden wouldn't be in was because of a twitt by Boon, where his silhouette lacked his hat, even though most of them were also lacking details that the original DLC trailer had, in fact, the only one of those who "wasn't" a character was the "trench coat guy" who turned out to be the Ninja Turtles on their famous disguises. As for codenames, Netherrealm was also a lot smarter, because when people searched for files on the PC beta, they encountered obvious troll stuff that was meant to misguide them like some files referring to Scooby Doo (I'm not kidding) and some DC horror character who I can't remember well. Nintendo might have hid the real names this time, but they're definitely not as clever to pull dataminers' legs like that.
There were actually quite a bit of leaks and rumors surrounding Injustice 2. All you have to do is see old videos of Dynasty or UncagedGames on YouTube. Also Boons own tweets made it seem very likely Spawn was going to be in, and the fact he won a popularity poll posted by Boon. Also Netherealm had acquired the rights to use Spawn, so that’s why many thought he was a lock. As for Raiden in other MK games Boon has been proven to troll with silhouettes in the past, that’s why many didn’t take Raiden seriously. As for the leaks many were saying characters like Hellboy were confirmed which was true, but Raiden was not in the list of that particular leak. There were other leakers for Injustice 2 beside Vergeben, but Vergeben proved to be the most accurate out of all them.

I agree Netherealm was more crafty than Nintendo in its coding, so far. However for the code word Brave, it’s possible Nintendo may prove to be trolling people just like Netherealm. We have to wait and see, however given how Nintendo trolled its own insiders with Metroid Prime trilogy and Joker reveal. I wouldn’t rule out that they could be on purpose giving out false code like Netherealm did in Injustice 2. Also we have to keep in mind Nintendo is aware that people will datamine the game,as they already did it in Smash Wii U, so it’s possible they on purpose put two real codes along with a false one to send people on a wild goose chase.

ZelDan

Smash Master
As someone that considers Final Fantasy VII as one of his favorite games of all time, I am absolutely not excited for FFVIIR at all. With how mediocre FF has become after FFX, and how much I seriously disliked FFXV, and with how iffy and questionable FFVIIR already sounds, I just don't have any faith in it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
As someone that considers Final Fantasy VII as one of his favorite games of all time, I am absolutely not excited for FFVIIR at all. With how mediocre FF has become after FFX, and how much I seriously disliked FFXV, and with how iffy and questionable FFVIIR already sounds, I just don't have any faith in it.
I understand that feeling.

But I can never look at Final Fantasy and not feel the chills. It’s so iconic and groundbreaking I have to have faith that they can at least do it again with nicer graphics.

Although episodic, that kinda gives me the chills for a completely opposite reason.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Late to the party here, but after hearing about Brave's slippery movement, I really am hoping that Brave actually turns out to be Slime.

While I don't think it'll be the case, considering the numerous other factors pointing towards other characters, I think Slime could be a whole ton of fun to play as, and I'd really rather take him over any other SE character at this point. I've always enjoyed the more unique looking characters in Smash over the standard human characters.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

But I can never look at Final Fantasy and not feel the chills. It’s so iconic and groundbreaking I have to have faith that they can at least do it again with nicer graphics.

Although episodic, that kinda gives me the chills for a completely opposite reason.
Honestly...
I'm just hoping it isn't cancelled.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

I think X was already the starting point of the series' descent to mediocrity and lack of what made I-IX so memorable and classic. Sakaguchi already left the company back then, the team was the same as VIII's but with less of the old crew, and it shows.
FFXV was the only FF I still didn't play but I am of the opinion that the game might have been a lot better if the DLC was finished. The game launched with a lot of holes, and over time it was being filled. On some stuff the game really made me feel like there might be some stuff of quality that is actually great. But, then again, I need to play it to confirm what I've seen.
I don't have faith in it, specially how FFVII was treated after S-E was born and Nomura took the helm of the series' creative department. Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts murdered the mythos and some of the characters (specially Cloud), with subsequent material such as Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus and Dissidia FF inheriting a lot of what Nomura has done since. I believe that the design might not be as solid as the original, and, specially, the story will be butchered to fit with the vision Nomura had with the game. I will despise it once I play it. But the fan inside me still has the foolish hope that it might end up good. And I'll love seeing Tifa and co. in HD within an explorable Gaia. Hopefully with an orchestrated soundtrack mixed with the industrial sounds that characterized so well the original's music. Also, since the Development Hell ended with S-E restarting what Cyberconnect2 had done (pretty sure it was an awful job, tbh, so at least they got that right), I believe the episodic nature of the games might not be as clear cut as we thought. The development team and head have changed, and thus, the direction might change as well. But, given the game's size, I believe it might take two games (three at most) to cover everything and being excellent and delivering the original's content made in a world designed by today's standards.
A pity, given that no JRPG, imho, has surpassed the original FFVII to this day, in both quality and impact combined. I really wanted to have faith and believe it would be good. But, I'll keep my expectations low and hope for the best.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Late to the party here, but after hearing about Brave's slippery movement, I really am hoping that Brave actually turns out to be Slime.

While I don't think it'll be the case, considering the numerous other factors pointing towards other characters, I think Slime could be a whole ton of fun to play as, and I'd really rather take him over any other SE character at this point. I've always enjoyed the more unique looking characters in Smash over the standard human characters.
Slime is sticky, not slippery though.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
God I really hope the direct is Thursday to end this madness. So we can move to the possible 3rd character's codename to speculate on that madness. Then the 4th then the 5th.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
God I really hope the direct is Thursday to end this madness. So we can move to the possible 3rd character's codename to speculate on that madness. Then the 4th then the 5th.
No guarantee we get a character reveal in a January direct. We might be here for a while with this Brave thing.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The only thing I expect at a January Direct is Piranha plant release date and some Mii Costumes.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
No guarantee we get a character reveal in a January direct. We might be here for a while with this Brave thing.
If the fighter revealed were Phoenix Wright, could we finally consider the "Brave" case closed or would people assume that "no", it must still be some "SE rep" lying in wait?

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
"There's no way we'd get a character reveal at the Game Awards right before the game comes out. They're totally gonna show Metroid Prime Trilogy"
Sounds familiar, eh?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
"There's no way we'd get a character reveal at the Game Awards right before the game comes out. They're totally gonna show Metroid Prime Trilogy"
Sounds familiar, eh?
Not to say much, but if Erdrick was revealed this month, I'd probably give the 5chan rumour a chance at being real just because of how compressed reveals and releases would be.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
If the fighter revealed were Phoenix Wright, could we finally consider the "Brave" case closed or would people assume that "no", it must still be some "SE rep" lying in wait?
Phoenix would be dope, but I don't think we can settle on who the codenames are for until they're in the game.
Sounds familiar, eh?
Is this supposed to be some kind of "gotcha?" Saying that a new character isn't guaranteed isn't a definitive statement like your Game Awards example. It's certainly possible we will get a new character reveal. It's also possible we get details on Joker- or it's possible we get nothing Smash at all.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I don’t expect another reveal till Pirhana Plant is released. Seems to early for one now, and it’d make more sense to at least have one fighter out before revealing the next one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom