• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
In Injustice 2 so many people were sure Ed Boon was trolling with Raiden no one took it seriously and almost everyone thought Spawn was a sure lock. Then almost all got fooled Raiden was real, and Spawn was not added.
There's a small issue with this comparison here: there weren't any rumours or leaks for that game's DLC (except for, ironically enough, Vergeben himself). The community had to literally guess every single fighter through Ed Boon's polls and what their silhouettes could tell us. That's how everyone saw Black Manta, Enchantress, a later on, the Atom (who only got guessed because of his CSS slot) coming; and why characters like Spawn, Azrael and John Constantine were expected. The reason why many were thinking Raiden wouldn't be in was because of a twitt by Boon, where his silhouette lacked his hat, even though most of them were also lacking details that the original DLC trailer had, in fact, the only one of those who "wasn't" a character was the "trench coat guy" who turned out to be the Ninja Turtles on their famous disguises. As for codenames, Netherrealm was also a lot smarter, because when people searched for files on the PC beta, they encountered obvious troll stuff that was meant to misguide them like some files referring to Scooby Doo (I'm not kidding) and some DC horror character who I can't remember well. Nintendo might have hid the real names this time, but they're definitely not as clever to pull dataminers' legs like that.

D

Deleted member

The boneset thing makes me wonder...

Erdrick is fine and all, but can I order the boneless option? Boneless DQ rep is Slime. Let's go boneless. I'll order one boneless DQ rep to go, please. Make that with barbecue sauce.
"Slike is just Boneless Erdrick"
"Blocked"

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
You gotta remember though, we’ve been hearing about the Square rep since August, and even before that.
And? Minecraft supposedly has been known for even longer and insiders like Ryce aren't buying it. In fact, not even all notable insiders have agreed that Erdrick is the one, unlike the Grinch leak where they all expressed absolute doubt.

It’s been in the rumour mill for quite a long time
So was the Gematsu leak, and look how that turned out. Longevity isn't some metric here to suggest how true something is. Also, for a while, it wasn't even specifically Erdrick, just an SE rep in general. Orginally suggested to be on the base roster at that.
sameness timeframe, most of ultimate’s roster was leaked, notably incineroar and Simon.
Most, not all. In fact, Vergeben didn't even manage to leak all of them. He got a faulty source that he trusted, suggesting there'd be no new DK reps too.

The leakers certainly aren't infallible. And that's not even mentioning Verge's terrible track record elsewhere.
My point is, if in the timeframe the square rep leaked, we also got legitimate leaks for ultimate’s roster, and erdrick has been heard as far back as then, then why would only he be lekabiat?
Well if they're characters from different companies and series, word of them likely came from various sources, some of which may have been baited with falsified bits. Not hard to see happening.

Also, as I mentioned before, Erdrick wouldn't be the first thing that Verge has gotten wrong with Smash Ultimate. So he wouldn't be the only leak bait out there.

Not to mention, we've seen firsthand that Nintendo are capable of this 4d chess given how certain everyone was on SE being first for DLC and Metroid for sure showing up at the VGA awards.
Yes square uses lekabait themseves, but gain they aren’t invulnerable, as shown with FFXIV.
Never said they were invulnerable. Just that they hate leaks. There's the motivation. As for them being secure, they've got the help of other companies to keep things more tightly secured concerning DLC than if they were on their own.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Time for a new headache.

If a codename can be leakbait, then what about stats? Couldn't they also just mess around with numbers to throw dataminers off? Stats change either way. :p
How many times do I have to say this? No one is saying the codename is leakbait! It's not even supposed to be a hint at all. It's just supposed to be a vague placeholder that doesn't lead to any character in particular.

D

Deleted member

This is just what everyone has already been saying. My response is that he'd have to be sitting down or something to be that small. Which leaves us with kid Erdrick being slower than Incineroar.
Except the speed stats would put brave around the middle of the roster in terms of speed, it would be barely slower than Y. Link. Dunno where are you looking your stats from.
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...ngs-super-smash-bros-ultimates-entire-roster/
https://twitter.com/_Mizumi/status/1080971781790416896

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I love ''THE HEIGHT AND STUFF DOESN'T MATTER CAUSE WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PERSON WOULD LOOK LIKE I NGAME BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE THE MODEL." crowd.

Which yes all good and well, but then you have people who run with this knowledge and still say ''Well all the stats just line up with Erdrick. It's Erdrick! Erdrick! Erdrick."

With 100 percent certanity. It's just really funny to me because apparently everything that goes in their favor also can go against them and it's why they really shouldn't be that certain at all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And? Minecraft supposedly has been known for even longer and insiders like Ryce aren't buying it. In fact, not even all notable insiders have agreed that Erdrick is the one, unlike the Grinch leak where they all expressed absolute doubt.

So was the Gematsu leak, and look how that turned out. Longevity isn't some metric here to suggest how true something is. Also, for a while, it wasn't even specifically Erdrick, just an SE rep in general. Orginally suggested to be on the base roster at that.

Most, not all. In fact, Vergeben didn't even manage to leak all of them. He got a faulty source that he trusted, suggesting there'd be no new DK reps too.

The leakers certainly aren't infallible. And that's not even mentioning Verge's terrible track record elsewhere.

Well if they're characters from different companies and series, word of them likely came from various sources, some of which may have been baited with falsified bits. Not hard to see happening.

Also, as I mentioned before, Erdrick wouldn't be the first thing that Verge has gotten wrong with Smash Ultimate. So he wouldn't be the only leak bait out there.

Not to mention, we've seen firsthand that Nintendo are capable of this 4d chess given how certain everyone was on SE being first for DLC and Metroid for sure showing up at the VGA awards.

Never said they were invulnerable. Just that they hate leaks. There's the motivation. As for them being secure, they've got the help of other companies to keep things more tightly secured concerning DLC than if they were on their own.
except minecraft content waspretty much only heard by Vergeben’s circle, with others expressing doubt about it. People like Tansut and Imran are also vouching for Square rep, with Spawn Wave even saying Erdrick specifickayy has been in the rumour mill for quite a long time. I’m nit saying Vergeben or leakers are infalliable. I’m saying it’s mroe likely that Erdrick is legit aprather than lekabaif, just because there isn’t really any evidence for erdrick being leabait.

I need to sleep now, I’ll oc it ue tomorrow,

D

Deleted member

I love ''THE HEIGHT AND STUFF DOESN'T MATTER CAUSE WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PERSON WOULD LOOK LIKE I NGAME BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE THE MODEL." crowd.

Which yes all good and well, but then you have people who run with this knowledge and still say ''Well all the stats just line up with Erdrick. It's Erdrick! Erdrick! Erdrick."

With 100 percent certanity. It's just really funny to me because apparently everything that goes in their favor also can go against them and it's why they really shouldn't be that certain at all.
It fits for him but outright saying it's him 100% because of that is just jumping the gun far too ahead.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Time for a new headache.

If a codename can be leakbait, then what about stats? Couldn't they also just mess around with numbers to throw dataminers off? Stats change either way. :p
No one's really calling the codename leakbait.

do believe that there's a very real possibility of Erdrick being leakbait.
Funnily enough on the topic of leakbait, let's not forget that there's been constant speculation that this list of 7 SE characters is chock full of leakbait itself.

Hell, we've had plenty of people suggesting that Sephiroth and Geno on this list are leakbait. So we can't pretend that leakbait on- either end is out of the question.

Especially considering the lack of certainty for Erdrick from insiders as a whole compared to the Grinch leak being fake.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Height can be inconsistent at times as well. Palutena has the same size as Pit for instance despite her much taller. Incineroar is also a lot smaller when you realize he’s as tall as Lucario.

I believe the SNES version is much more likely. It’s Erdrick’s most well known look, it’s also his most used look appearing in almost all of his appearances outside of the original DQ3 and crossover SE games, and it may even be the most feasible to work with since design has a similar build to some other characters on the roster the team could use other characters as references to help develop Erdrick, and the female alt has official artwork not found in the NES design.

And opinion based, I think SNES Erdrick looks cool and Toriyama really mastered his design when the time came to jump to the SNES. It practically clicked onto me. The NES version is a large downgrade honestly, it lacks the “coolness” and sleek factors the SNES version brought.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Ryce and who else exactly? Not that I dislike the guy or anything, but I doubt he's heard jack about any games after MvCI, otherwise, why he couldn't at least say "yeah, this info is right" in the months prior to Ultimate's release? But then again, he got banned for not getting the Mind Stone right, so...

That wasn't even a source of his at all. It was some guy at GameFAQs spilling bull that Vergeben brought into a private conversation with loz18 and then got leaked by the latter for no seemingly good reason.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It fits for him but outright saying it's him 100% because of that is just jumping the gun far too ahead.
It fits him in a CURRENT state sort of way. This character doesn't seem even remotely complete so whose to say somewhere down the line this is still going to resemble anything remotely close to Erdrick.

No one would even be saying Erdrick if you didn't have an echo chamber of people saying that it is, because there's nothing definitive saying ''Erdrick."

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
It's fine if Erdrick's not in or whatever, but the idea of Square Enix using a Dragon Quest character to throw off leakers is frustrating. It's a series they have a history of badly neglecting, so to intentionally spread rumours that they might actually be promoting it for once, only to pull the rug out, would be kind of... well, pretty much in character. Sike, and enjoy Builders 2 in Fall 2021, I guess!

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Mind sharing where you found it? The parameters shown by _Mizumi seem to indicate brave speed is just average.

Stats seem to change a lot. Plant went from slowest to average, I want to know his fitness plan.
His speed is 1.74 according to all the stuff I've seen.
It was an informional article that listed all the stats for the datamined characters. I think it was Nintendo life but I'm not sure. But if you guys saw 1.74, and as I looked it up again, I saw someone else say 1.74, I probably just misread it. Still looking for the exact article. I'll post a link when I found it.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Ryce and who else exactly?
Ryce coupled with the fact that no notable insiders outside Verg's circle have noted anything to support such.
but I doubt he's heard jack about any games after MvCI, otherwise, why he couldn't at least say "yeah, this info is right" in the months prior to Ultimate's release?
He threw his hat into the ring on several matters, most notably the Grinch leak where he revealed that he knew just as much as Verg had said for the most part. Especially regarding Incineroar.

As for why he couldn't say with certainty months before, no insider really did concerning Smash which is a bigger beast than MvC game to leak roster wise. Even Verge didn't act so certain until we were close to the November direct.
But then again, he got banned for not getting the Mind Stone right, so...
Which is less than Verge bit infamously wrong about with MvC:I. XD.
That wasn't even a source of his at all. It was some guy at GameFAQs spilling bull that Vergeben brought into a private conversation with loz18 and then got leaked by the latter for no seemingly good reason.
Yet for some reason, he trusted such. Both of which, turned out to be wrong. Again, goes to show, that Verge has even gotten stuff with Smash Ultimate wrong.
People like Tansut and Imran are also vouching for Square rep,
A Square rep, but no specifics.
Spawn Wave even saying Erdrick specifickayy has been in the rumour mill for quite a long time.
Again, I raise the Gematsu leak. Something with longevity that seemed solid, but ended up with cracks that sunk it eventually.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's fine if Erdrick's not in or whatever, but the idea of Square Enix using a Dragon Quest character to throw off leakers is frustrating. It's a series they have a history of badly neglecting, so to intentionally spread rumours that they might actually be promoting it for once, only to pull the rug out, would be kind of... well, pretty much in character. Sike, and enjoy Builders 2 in Fall 2021, I guess!
While I could see Erdrick being leakbait, we also are missing a lot of details behind the leak situation and frankly having three characters from DQ appear on the list seems really weird (in one way or the other) and no characters from say Bravely Default when it was a relatively popular new series. While it would make the leak situation bad for SE (mind the FFXIV leaks which showed a lot of the updates info including classes and bosses for the game with a lot of time beforehand), it could very well a situation where it is a known secret within a few more people involved than we imagine, especially if there is something more involving DQ and Nintendo in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Ryce coupled with the fact that no notable insiders outside Verg's circle have noted anything to support such.
That's still not anyone else.

He threw his hat into the ring on several matters, most notably the Grinch leak where he revealed that he knew just as much as Verg had said for the most part. Especially regarding Incineroar.
Yeah right. How come he didn't say anything before the Grinch then?

As for why he couldn't say with certainty months before, no insider really did concerning Smash which is a bigger beast than MvC game to leak roster wise.
Maybe not the full roster, be could've still said something about some of the leaked characters like Isabelle or Incineroar if he knew anything. And it's not like all ERA insiders shut their mouth on Smash, there was one guy who worked at VG247 who considered the Grinch hoax fake because he had his own source telling him about Incineroar.

Which is less than Verge bit infamously wrong about with MvC:I. XD.
Difference is, we still hear Vergeben leaking stuff, and top of that, accurate information. Ryce, even though he was still victimizing himself over his ban on NeoGAF for the Mind Stone comment, preferred to stay silent on any topic, and that includes Smash.

Yet for some reason, he trusted such. Both of which, turned out to be wrong. Again, goes to show, that Verge has even gotten stuff with Smash Ultimate wrong.
No, he didn't. It's one thing to discuss a topic privately because you aren't sure about certain info and it's another one to say you trust them, which he didn't, and why the whole topic got debunked before the August direct.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Ryce and who else exactly? Not that I dislike the guy or anything, but I doubt he's heard jack about any games after MvCI, otherwise, why he couldn't at least say "yeah, this info is right" in the months prior to Ultimate's release? But then again, he got banned for not getting the Mind Stone right, so...

Ryce should be enough imo to count as a pretty good point against it. He's a big deal leaker iirc.
Also I'd love to hear why Steve, who sources have said has a fully working model and some said was even playable, isn't even in the code while Joker and Brave are.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
From what I'm understanding, none of the insiders know anything about the DLC other than who the Square character may be, with Vergeben just being told that there would be Minecraft stuff otherwise, and Ryce not buying it simply because no one has told him about it.

"if I don't know it, nobody knows it" *get's something wrong*

-if someone says there's a working model that's playable, they're probably lying or their sources are lying

-we might still get Steve or a Creeper and Erdrick

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
While I could see Erdrick being leakbait, we also are missing a lot of details behind the leak situation and frankly having three characters from DQ appear on the list seems really weird (in one way or the other) and no characters from say Bravely Default when it was a relatively popular new series. While it would make the leak situation bad for SE (mind the FFXIV leaks which showed a lot of the updates info including classes and bosses for the game with a lot of time beforehand), it could very well a situation where it is a known secret within a few more people involved than we imagine if there is something more involving DQ and Nintendo in the future.
And then there's also the new Bravely Default game in the field supposedly coming out this year. Agnes or Edea Lee would be the perfect blindside.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I know a lot of leakers have come out saying that the Square rep is Erdrick.

But has Vergeben himself say that the Square rep was Erdrick or has he only said he heard Erdrick the most?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Ryce should be enough imo to count as a pretty good point against it. He's a big deal leaker iirc.
He definitely ain't one here, as I'm still left to see any proof that he has any track record on Smash. And it's not like he's some nobody to just not notice when he leaks info, as MvCI has proven.

Also I'd love to hear why Steve, who sources have said has a fully working model and some said was even playable, isn't even in the code while Joker and Brave are.
Pretty sure Vergeben didn't say that. Dunno who that was, but it's definitely not the same topic.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
And then there's also the new Bravely Default game in the field supposedly coming out this year. Agnes or Edea Lee would be the perfect blindside.
INB4 it’s the entire BD main cast, but they’re all alt costumes (like Jr. and the Koopalings).

I mean they could get away with them all sharing the same moveset.

But that’s just wishful thinking on my part.

D

Deleted member

Insiders/Leakers have different ways of operating and relaying info. A few of them seem to hold more info than they let.

Verge seems to be one of the most active ones when relaying info, while others rarely are active like Tansut.
I know a lot of leakers have come out saying that the Square rep is Erdrick.

But has Vergeben himself say that the Square rep was Erdrick or has he only said he heard Erdrick the most?
I checked some of his comments, while he doesn't seem to be 100% on Erdrick, he seems to back him up as very likely.
The whole list seems weird in general, If anything it feels short considering the amount of IPs and popular characters SE has. I would have imagined that by the franchises that SE holds:
-Bravely Default reps are missing
-Lara Croft is missing
-More FF is missing (Yuna, Tidus, Vivi, Terra)
-2B is missing
And I feel that I'm missing various characters still. If SE wanted to make leakbait, I would've imagined that we would have as many characters as possible as leakbait.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Yeah right. How come he didn't say anything before the Grinch then?
He chose not to because he wasn't as certain in his sources at the time. That's how most professional insiders operate.

And needless to say, overall Ryce is better renowned than Vergeben because he has a far more concrete track record overall.

You choose to trust Verge more for whatever reason? Well more power to ya.
Difference is, we still hear Vergeben leaking stuff, and top of that, accurate information.
To this day? Nothing about the DLC that he's claimed has heh proven accurate yet. And his reputation for burned badly both with the first DLC character not being a Square rep, and inaccurate info regarding Dragonball FighterZ.

Needless to say, his recent bits haven't been in his favor.
preferred to stay silent on any topic, and that includes Smash.
As PolarPanda PolarPanda Polar has showcased, most insiders tend to be more careful for various reasons, including their sources' job security.

And furthermore, insiders don't sell function the same way either.

You can't fault a professional insider for being quiet on the matter, than coming out with the info later. If that were the case, then we might as well be condemning the Erdick leak for only picking up steam so recently.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So is Steve still in the running or...?

I was under the impression that no one really knew anything for sure, that it's only what they and their sources have heard.

Steve is square so he's not off-topic

Last edited:

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
If against all odds it turns out that Erdrick (or any DQ for that matter) is not dlc, how would everyone react? Would leakers lose credibility?

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Hey guys. Something interesting to note:

Nintendo just announced on Twitter the release dates for Yoshi’s Crafted World (March 29th) and Kirby’s Extra Epic Yarn (March 8th).

So that may/may not affect the chance of a Direct soon.

D

Deleted member

If against all odds it turns out that Erdrick (or any DQ for that matter) is not dlc, how would everyone react? Would leakers lose credibility?
I'm ready for that moment but I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least a bit disappointed.
They would absolutely lose credibility.

Top Bottom