• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Brave could pretty much reference any hero in DQ, any of the main cast in Bravely Default, Sephiroth etc.

The only reason most people are sticking w/ Erdrick is that he's the most speculated.
True.

Going by that, we can’t confirm the identity of “Brave” yet but at the same time we got less characters to consider in the mix.

D

Deleted member

Who would win in a fight between a Slime and Gooey from Kirby’s Dreamland 2?

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
So, PolarPanda, other than Geno, is there anyone you want? Not anything related to leaks, but anyone you want?
1. Lloyd. I remember playing Tales of Symphonia when I was like 6. I'm so old now that it's a far distant memory, but that game is sooo nostalgic to me. Honestly, any Tales Of rep would make me satisfied, though.
2. A Shin Megami Tensei protagonist. I would rather have one like Demi Fiend over Joker, but I'll take Joker.
3. Doomguy. This initially wasn't a character I cared about at all. But, after hearing how Bethesda had mysterious talks with Nintendo abut Smash, and yet has nothing in basegame, I think it's a valid possibility. I'd mainly like it because it'd be a sort of "defy the odds" sorta reveal. Would be really neat.
4. Isaac. I like Golden Sun, enough said.
5. Skull Kid. Majora's Mask is one of my favorite games of all time.
6. Crono. I realllllly love Chrono Trigger.
7. Another Mother rep would be a dream come true.
8. A XC2 or Xenosaga rep would also be a dream come true. KOS MOS or Rex + Pyra, for instance. UGH that mii costume and those spirits.
9. This one might sound silly, but a Fate rep. Fate/Grand Order is the biggest gaccha in Japan, and its root is as a visual novel and then a PSP jrpg, not an anime like some suggest. It's much more popular than Granblue, but would still be a wtf reveal in the West as gacchas still aren't that huge over here.
10. This one is a toss up. I'm one of those people who thinks Goku would be super cool if he was ever taken seriously and added, though I don't think that'll happen for another while if ever. I would also like a few others like Sephiroth or another FF rep such as Kefka. Or a Kirby villain such as Magalor.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Also, can somebody elaborate on how "Brave" points to the hero of DQ8 in particular? I'm not caught up on this connection, so I'd love to be taught.

D

Deleted member

Also, can somebody elaborate on how "Brave" points to the hero of DQ8 in particular? I'm not caught up on this connection, so I'd love to be taught.
It could be almost any DQ protagonist. Most of them are proportionally similar, with a couple exceptions.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
i don't believe there was one other then hope that it was him

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't think it does, outside of one big rumor pointing to "Brave Party"/"Hero Party" which lines up with Nekoo hearing of "Hero" and that one of the DLC reps would potentially be more work than any other character before. This makes it seem possible we are getting a Koopaling-esque situation or even multiple Heroes in a single character.

It's conjecture and unlikely but fun to bring up.

Untouch

Smash Master
The big rumour going around is that multiple DQ heros will be alts, like the Koopalings.
If DQXI has an alt, DQVIII will likely too (there's a DQVIII costumer in DQXI afterall).

D

Deleted member

Most of the stuff related to “Brave” also matches with Hero/Eight, but probably because he shares some stuff with Erdrick. Erdrick is the popular suggestion, but the information we have actually fits a lot of the DQ protagonists.

It is worth to note that Eight has a bit of an appeal in the West, since the 3DS port of DQ8 happened mostly because of the demand outside of Japan.

His final smash could be dope, tbh.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I would say integrity is more important than a view more years of revenue and avoiding legal issues; but we all know that's not how business works.
Integrity, that again, may mean jack **** to most Japanese people where this would be an actual issue.

You don’t just to get be outraged because someone makes comments not in your culture or your country. And again, I can’t stress how much this has an impact on how you should approach the situation. Applying your values on a global scale is a good way to get yourself into trouble. Different places have different standards.

It may be entirely possible that making comments constitutes nothing to executives in a Japanese context. It could be the opposite. I don’t know for certain and I would love for someone more knowledgeable on this specific topic to comment on these issues. But again, you don’t assume those types of things and try to force your perspective. You could have discussions with Japanese people and maybe try to change things that way, but your approach is misplaced at best.

And it’s not about the extra revenue only. Sugiyama has his name pretty highly displayed on every game I’ve played. So, he may have more power (and we’ve seen this with Final Fantasy and Uematsu, Square has issues with composers and their control) over Dragon Quest on a higher level. Would you risk years of legal trouble and potentially stalling anything your doing with one of your biggest franchises for a couple of articles on Polygon and some happy people on ResetEra? Cause that’s all that will happen even if he did get removed.

I don’t believe your saying all this because of Geno not being in, but I do think your comments are mostly misplaced in an effort to make a gigantic deal out of something more minor and that you can’t just approach with a moral superiority.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The big rumour going around is that multiple DQ heros will be alts, like the Koopalings.
If DQXI has an alt, DQVIII will likely too (there's a DQVIII costumer in DQXI afterall).
Well on a personal level, I would be hyped beyond all reason if the color swaps would go like so:

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca8...oaro-ed207db9-4a5d-4814-9927-ed2690eb5506.png

But since this may not sit well with the majority, then maybe have 4 tops, and 4 female versions as well. (Although I can't think of more than 3 female heroes unless de count 9's, but they'd have to tweak her proportions to make her taller).

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Integrity, that again, may mean jack **** to most Japanese people where this would be an actual issue.

You don’t just to get be outraged because someone makes comments not in your culture or your country. And again, I can’t stress how much this has an impact on how you should approach the situation. Applying your values on a global scale is a good way to get yourself into trouble. Different places have different standards.

It may be entirely possible that making comments constitutes nothing to executives in a Japanese context. It could be the opposite. I don’t know for certain and I would love for someone more knowledgeable on this specific topic to comment on these issues. But again, you don’t assume those types of things and try to force your perspective. You could have discussions with Japanese people and maybe try to change things that way, but your approach is misplaced at best.

And it’s not about the extra revenue only. Sugiyama has his name pretty highly displayed on every game I’ve played. So, he may have more power (and we’ve seen this with Final Fantasy and Uematsu, Square has issues with composers and their control) over Dragon Quest on a higher level. Would you risk years of legal trouble and potentially stalling anything your doing with one of your biggest franchises for a couple of articles on Polygon and some happy people on ResetEra? Cause that’s all that will happen even if he did get removed.

I don’t believe your saying all this because of Geno not being in, but I do think your comments are mostly misplaced in an effort to make a gigantic deal out of something more minor and that you can’t just approach with a moral superiority.
I respect your big wall of text but lets have this die here huh please i'm tired of him. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice already took care of this so lets ignore this and never talk about that damned composer again

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Smady

Smash Master
One thing's for sure, DQ getting into Smash will apparently do it wonders as an advertising scheme. I've never seen anyone on Smash Boards that interested in the series and now everyone's wearing a Hero avatar. Smart business decision by Square-Enix if they nudged Nintendo to do it, and can't say I'm unhappy if this helps out DQ in the West.

I've had mixed feelings about the DQ protagonist getting in because they're always a bit bland, but DQ in Smash is finally getting me excited. I'd never have imagined it a few years back when DQ was all spin-offs and remakes.

D

Deleted member

One thing's for sure, DQ getting into Smash will apparently do it wonders as an advertising scheme. I've never seen anyone on Smash Boards that interested in the series and now everyone's wearing a Hero avatar. Smart business decision by Square-Enix if they nudged Nintendo to do it, and can't say I'm unhappy if this helps out DQ in the West.

I've had mixed feelings about the DQ protagonist getting in because they're always a bit bland, but DQ in Smash is finally getting me excited. I'd never have imagined it a few years back when DQ was all spin-offs and remakes.
I always liked the idea of a DQ rep, mostly Eight. I was just scared to say it with the whole drama behind the composer.

I finally found the way to express myself thanks to this thread, and i was happy about how the users here didn’t take it as something bad.

If i had to say the videogame characters that left a mark on me as a player, i would talk about Eight, Megaman, K.Rool, Sonic and Crash Bandicoot, with Samus Aran being close to Crash.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

honestly, only reason have it is because of @liquidmetalslime lol I didn't expect to see so many DQ fans makes me kinda happy I thought I was a rare breed

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I think we all kinds amalgamated here lol but yeah it's nice to see the amount of support it's gotten.
right even tho this is a square enix thread as a whole i'm glad i found other DQ fans there kinda rare there either in the camp that only played 8 or a fan but silent like me lol

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
This is just about Ace Attorney the musical.
Ooops! Wrong tweet! I meant to ask you about this one:
It seems to mention hopes for Phoenix in DLC of some sort, but I can't tell what.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Ooops! Wrong tweet! I meant to ask you about this one:
It seems to mention hopes for Phoenix in DLC of some sort, but I can't tell what.
i gotta ask cuz I've always wondered why do you want Phoenix so much I'm curious

D

Deleted member

Hhey guys, I'm back, how well has this thread taken the datamine?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Oh d'oy, uh. Do I have to come in and apologize on behalf of us Geno fans again? Yeah? Okay, holy moly, I'm so sorry y'all.

That being said...

Screw King Slime, c'mon, if we got a Terraria boss in the game, you know it has to be Skeletron :mad:

-Coco-

Smash Ace
I'm not gonna celebrate until it's confirmed that it isn't a BD character (I know, unlikely but still) or Yuri. I've had my hopes crush once, not trying to do that again.

Top Bottom