• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

I would cry if Hero from Dragon Quest 8 was the Square rep.

The game was such a sweet part of my life as a player, that i remember a lot of good moments when i see an art or picture of him.

Erdrick and Luminary are more likely... But Hero would feel like a gift from Sakurai to me.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
And we have a dozen platformer mascots. Your point is?
And a few 2-in-1 characters as well.
"BUT BANJO IS SO MUCH MORE POPULAR HE HAS TO BE IN PHIL SPENCER SAID HE WANTS BANJO IN THE GAME SO IT HAS TO HAPPEN!!!1!!"

Popularity isn't necessarily the most important measure of likeliness, especially within our little Smash Bubble.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This just in.

More Koichi Sugidrama.

I don't think this is a big hurdle to overcome.
Though this puts a new spin on things, like how we thought he got royalties from DLC? I'm confused as to how things work.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This just in.

More Koichi Sugidrama.
Yikes. If the SE rep was meant to be first and was left for later, maybe this is partially why? Sugiyama being that particular with his music is something I definitely saw coming. What a hassle.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
This just in.

More Koichi Sugidrama.

Though this puts a new spin on things, like how we thought he got royalties from DLC? I'm confused as to how things work.
I wonder, in the scenario we get Sora and KH music in Smash, would the rights be easier to get since some of the tracks are composed by Yoko Shimomura, the one that does usually does remixes for Smash games?

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
This just in.

More Koichi Sugidrama.

This is partly true. The reason this has happened is because the revenue that Sugiyama demands for the symphonic tracks are higher than the MIDI arrangements they can use. This is because of the costs to produce them with the NHK Symphony Orchestra, and the CD sales coexisting with the game would only make sense if S-E payed him the proportional costs, which they aren't interested bc they have been losing money for a while bc of their own bad decisions with numerous franchises over the past 19 years.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I wonder, in the scenario we get Sora and KH music in Smash, would the rights be easier to get since some of the tracks are composed by Yoko Shimomura, the one that does usually does remixes for Smash games?
I would say that, if the stars aligned and we somehow did get another Square rep through another pass (or misc. DLC), this might actually bolster both Sora's and Geno's chances music-wise. I wouldn't doubt that Nintendo would want to avoid more hassle like this, and given Yoko Shimomura (who composed some of KH's and SMRPG's music) is on the Smash team, it would make things just that much easier.

That being said, that is a very hypothetical scenario.

Untouch

Smash Master
This isn't really new drama, it's the big reason why I think if we're getting a DQ rep it'll use Fortune Street stuff.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think we're getting the Overworld Main Theme from DQ3 then, because it's the only DQ3 song that I recall in Fortune Street.

Not a bad choice, but sad we won't get a Battle theme.
I wonder if we could at least get the 8-bit chiptune version.

I remember DQ Swords using a different composer. Maybe the understudy? And that soundtrack rocked!

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I said this before, but for me I don't care about Dragon Quest music as much as most other RPGs like FF, Chrono Trigger and Kingdom Hearts, so I won't feel offended if they do the 2 songs garbage for Erdrick.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Man, all this talk about music makes me sad we won't get Magus' theme....

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This is partly true. The reason this has happened is because the revenue that Sugiyama demands for the symphonic tracks are higher than the MIDI arrangements they can use. This is because of the costs to produce them with the NHK Symphony Orchestra, and the CD sales coexisting with the game would only make sense if S-E payed him the proportional costs, which they aren't interested bc they have been losing money for a while bc of their own bad decisions with numerous franchises over the past 19 years.
Hey thanks for the more in-depth explanation!
Don't know why I always chalked it down to "he hates the west, that's why we get MIDI, and DQ8 on PS2 was a slip up from his part"

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
My only request for DQ music is Heroes Challenge. It’s a pretty good track.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Alright people, place your bets. How many tracks do you think we'll get? I'm thinking 2, if Square was being generous (i wish i was joking).

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You know what I think Sakurai should do to get Western audiences impressed with Erdrick's inclusion in Smash. Here's some things I suggest:
1. Add alts for every DQ hero, at least add an Eight alt to the mix to appeal to Western audiences.
2. Present the announcement with a gameplay trailer rather having no footage, contrast to Joker's trailer. Showcase the little details of Erdrick that would make the character stand out easily. Have the original, iconic DQ sound effects in play like the magic cast effect. Showcase a scene where Erdrick uses smash attacks that plays the classic DQ hero attack.
3. Coincide the Erdrick announcement with a DQXI Switch reveal and release date. Possibly have announcements for older DQ games coming to Switch

I think without at least #2, they won't be able to sell Erdrick DLC in the West at a level that can meets Square's satisfaction. Japan will certainly bring the sales for Erdrick DLC, but Square and Nintendo will have to do a lot for this DQ character announcement to sell to Westerners.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I don’t think the music for DQ is gonna be that big of a problem. Though I don’t know how the whole situation works.

I don’t think it’ll be as low as FF, I think we’d at least get 5.

Although, I would assume getting music for Geno/Sora would’ve been much easier in comparison than music for DQ due to the composers.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
How did you get three of those to be Darkstalkers characters? What year do you think it is?
Easy, what Capcom franchise could exist to lack an specific main character. Of course, no one else but Darkstalkers.

I'm pretty sure the ryu, doomguy, etc. Leaker is not the erdrick one, lol. They are 5chan posts. There's nothing specifically guaranteeing they were the same people. Not sure how this rumor spread.
What really makes the DOOM rumour interesting is that it actually came before the Erdrick one we've been discussing for what feels like ages now, even if it was only by six hours. Of course, it can be fake, I brought before that it makes no sense to have everyone revealed by E3, not to mention, I do remember the two times I've seen a Japanese leak being fake, so another outcome like that wouldn't surprise me. But in character selection and coincidences, it's fun to entertain in my speculative mind.

D

Deleted member

Hopefully if Erdrick is in we get alts from most of the games, they would need to do a lot of compromises with a few like II, V, VII and possibly IX considering the Hero class doesn't exist in this one.

It would be great a trailer with Erdrick rising from the grave to interrupt a fight between Cloud an Link considering both franchises had him in a tomb (http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/grave-rivalry-the-fate-of-competing-video-game-heroes/), but frankly if its just a gameplay trailer I'll take it.

That said, I imagine that there is a possibility that the 2 songs would apply to any SE character. SE has a pretty weird management of crossovers.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
If there's any chance where Square Enix would allow Cloud to show up in a CGI trailer for Smash, a trailer for a Square Enix DLC fighter is probably that one chance.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I think the thing with DQ music is that there might be more than FF just by the fact its DQ as a series instead of just one game, being FF7. Might not be a lot from each game but if they reused 2 or 3 midis from like 10 games it'd still be impresssive in a way.

D

Deleted member

I think DQ will get 5 tracks. More than FF cause midi music, but not loads cause Sqaure tends to not give away much music for crossovers.

Calane

Smash Ace
I've been saying it for a while, but I don't think the music would really be an issue as long as they use the MIDI versions. You know the versions that showed up in the "Dragon Quest Heroes" games and "Theatrhythm Dragon Quest"? I think those are most likely what we'd hear in Smash. I think those were also the ones used in "Fortune Street" as well. From what I understand, it's only the orchestral versions that would probably cause problems.

There's also the option of just pulling music straight from the NES or SNES games as well, I guess.

Here's how DQ's music would most likely sound in Smash. I'll use DQ4's battle theme as an example:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Now that Tansut has essentially tossed his hat into the Erdrick ring, I'm almost positive that Leakypandy's info was, on some level, legit since that's the only leak that fits everything that we now know that they had reason to be upset about.
Huh, well dang. Leakypanda being on the money. That's apparently a big shock.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
My only hope is that they include the Dragon Quest Overture. That song is too iconic to leave out.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think that DQ will get at least one music track.
I don't care what because I don't know any of the music and my heart is too wounded to listen to it.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I mean, I don’t have any personal attachment to DQ or it’s music, so I’m not super surprised by this news.

But if I have to pay $5.99 for like, 5 songs or less, while others have more, I’m gonna be really ticked off.

That’s also not something you want the general audience catching on to, especially if you’re trying to market DQ to the West.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
i told you guys Uematsu and Sugiyama were/gonna be the problems they don't need a ton of songs i'd say get a few that do their job and get the point across so get 1. The Main theme 2. 3s battle theme 3. 4s battle theme 4. 5s battle theme 5. ANYTHING FROM DQ 8

Top Bottom