• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Meanwhile, it's just my opinion, but I'm convinced that it's way too convenient that the company who is known for being hella protective of leaks would just let Erdrick be the biggest name in leaks.

It's way too conveinent to me that Atlus would be able to pull a fast one on people but not the people who kept people from knowing about Noctis in Tekken or 2B in Soul Calibur, or even Cloud in Smash 4. Just let their next Smash character be known.

I just can't buy it. I think Square has very much seeded this all themselves no matter who it ends up being if there is a Square rep and I also still heavily entertain the possibility there is no second Square rep and everyone's just on a wild goose chase.

Either way? I just can't see the name of the Square rep ending up being so solidifed and certain as everyone seems to be of Erdrick being a real thing.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I think if Nintendo actually wants to put in a mobile rep, they probably use an OC from FE Heroes like say Fjorm I wouldn't be surprised.

D

Deleted member

The structure of his argument makes it seem like he's arguing facts instead of justifying an opinion. He's saying "here's why mobile gaming shouldn't be in Smash," and has nothing more to back it up than an opinion "mobile gaming shouldn't be in Smash because I don't want it."

Might just be me reading too far into it, but that's how his argument came off, and I responded in turn to that..
You just listed why I hate Granblue. It’s a mobile game, and I think Smash has much more territory to cover in the main console gaming space before they even touch mobile. We’ve barely touched the surface of third parties in all reality and there are tons of Nintendo characters still around without a place in the game as well. I’ve not come completely around to the idea of an indie character in Smash, so I’m sure as hell not going to be on board for mobile.
I get irrationally angry when I hear Granblue brought up. The drop off in quality for third parties would be ****ing astounding with an inclusion from that. For all of the characters i think deserve a chance despite their origins and situations, Katalina and Gran Blue is where I draw a hard line. Just please no.
Yeah, I think you’re reading too much into it.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think if Nintendo actually wants to put in a mobile rep, they probably use an OC from FE Heroes like say Fjorm I wouldn't be surprised.
Nah. They'll use Shulk and Corrin's love child from Dragalia if they want to go for ''Hey Mobile Games are a thing ya'll!"

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

This seems more like your opinion compared to anything else. I highlighted every time you mentioned yourself in your statement to emphasize this. Your vague criteria such as "decent picks" and "more likely than it should be" are similarly subjective, and can't be used to convey objective judgement about the inclusion or exclusion of a character like you seem to attempt doing.

You can't deny the massive presence that mobile gaming has within the Industry. I know most people look at it as "MOBILE GAMING IS FOR CASUAL NORMIES REEEEEEEEE," but it's massive enough to encourage Nintendo to dive in when they were obviously hesitant. Because as much as we may not like it, console gaming is slowly losing its place in the Industry compared to mobile and PC gaming. The "main console market" is shrinking, and mobile gaming only continues to grow. A mobile gaming character to represent that massive market is warranted if it occurs, and who better to represent it than Katalina or another Granblue character, who is accessible for negotiations and is from a massive Japanese mobile game that's rapidly expanding?

There is a line, and it's called being a video game character (originating in a video game). Stop creating slippery slopes. It's a weak argument and makes you look like you have nothing of substance to add to this argument.
Are mobile games really video games, persay?

D

Deleted member

Mobile games are video games even if some people don't see them this way. That some implement crappy gatcha mechanics and microtransactions, thats another thing.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
12 名無しさん必死だな[sage] 2018/12/09(日) 23:03:46.72 ID:g2iNILpgd

1 ジョーカー
2019年前半にP5Rが発売される

2 エルドリック(ロトの海外名)
カラバリにアンルシアやイレブンも
2019年にDQ11Sの発売だけでなくDQ過去作も発売される
海外でDQを売り出すため(DQ11Sは海外任天パブ)

3 リュウハヤブサ
忍者龍剣伝30周年でプロジェクトが動いてる
2019年にソフトが出る(新作かは不明)

4 スティーブ
E3 2019で発表予定
カラバリにアレックスやチーフスキンも
本来はベースのゲームで参戦予定だったが
ダンジョンズの宣伝との兼ね合いでDLCになった

5 マリン(DOOMの海兵隊)
E3 2019で発表予定
カラバリにDOOM 64版のコスも
DOOM Eternalの宣伝も兼ねて

Translation:
1 Joker
P5R will be released in the first half of 2019.

2 Erdrick (Roto's name overseas)
Anlucia and Eleven (Luminary's name in Japan) as pallet swaps.
Not just DQ11S but past DQ series will be released in 2019.
He's in to promote DQ franchise overseas (DQ11S will be published by Nintendo).

3 Ryu Hayabusa
There is a project on going for Ninja Gaiden's 30th anniversary.
New game comes out in 2019 (not sure it's brand new or not).

4 Steve
He will be announced in E3 2019.
Alex and Master Chief skin as pallet swaps.
He was supposed to be in the base roster but sent to the DLC for Minecraft Dungeons' promotion.

5 Marine (from DOOM)
He will be announced in E3 2019.
DOOM 64 costume as pallet swap.
Promotion for DOOM Eternal.

https://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1544363780/
keep in dear mind
Temco has representation in Smash through Fatal Frame

wouldn't be far off if they earned themselves a fighter after all the previous musous and recent musou crossovers they done for Nintendo and their history with them

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I don't think Verge knows how animation works, that or the decision to reveal Joker wasn't that "last-minute"
"Nintendo got Production IG to put together that anime trailer on short notice because it was something they could do that made more sense for reveal at The Game Awards despite Joker's production status being early in."
That trailer would have to be made at least a month in advance, and that's being generous considering how clean and smooth it was.
People take the term last minute far too seriously. The only thing that should be noted about it is that the decision was made after other plans were already finalized. Last minute can be as long as a month in the business world if it takes that much time to make sure everything goes well.

Persona 5M -> ??? (Likely a Mobage.)
Likely a movie. For example

https://www.p3m.jp/

keep in dear mind

wouldn't be far off if they earned themselves a fighter after all the musou crossovers they done
Nintendo DOES partially own the Fatal Frame IP, however.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Mobile games are video games even if some people don't see them this way. That some implement crappy gatcha mechanics and microtransactions, thats another thing.
Imagine if Katalina came in with a ****ing Gacha mechanic lmao xD
$1.99 FOR A FINAL SMASH

D

Deleted member

As much as it pains me to say it, mobile games are indeed video games.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mobile games are 100% video games in every way. They're just not on a console. It's just another unique form of handheld gaming. They're also major and important to gaming history, as console gaming is dying slowly. People want to be able to connect faster or more reliably, and having easy wifi does that. A lot of consoles have tons of online issues, Switch included. Even PC's does. Phones have some of the easiest and more reliable internet access as well, making it some of the best for multiplayer.

It makes perfect sense why it's doing so well. And will continue to do well. Frankly, Granblue Fantasy is absolutely deserving of Smash due to being a major thing in gaming history. That's actually the criteria for 3rd parties by default, gaming history. It doesn't matter if it's a Gacha game. Big deal. It has nothing to do with how it'll affect Smash. There's more to it than the genre. Also, I highly doubt we'll get another FE character like that. There's no point when they're already being received poorly due to how big the character list is for them. FEH is big, sure, but it makes far more sense to show off an even bigger Mobile game if they want to go that route. It would also help introduce Granblue Fantasy to the West, so it has merit. This is what kept Marth and Roy in Melee's international versions. If they plan to bring Granblue Fantasy worldwide, this is a good way to do so. Though this can be a fair reason why we might not get the character, since they aren't known worldwide(Erdrick isn't in a much better place, just slightly better).

As for Persona 5 not being on Switch? No reason it has to be. If it's not going to come out for it any time soon, it just proves that Nintendo, like Sakurai isn't choosing the characters for advertising reasons alone. They find them interesting. Now some could be(as noted by Katalina), but there's no reason to believe every 3rd party must be chosen because of Nintendo importance either. This is no different from Cloud. He had none. Zip. Yet there he was.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Mobile games feel like.... mini games at the very most, tbh. Not knocking them; Lord know's we've all dipped into them, but yeah.
That's kind of a broad statement. A lot of mobile games released today are more sophisticated than many games on the NES like GOLF and Pinball, but nobody would ask if they were really video games.
As much as it pains me to say it, mobile games are indeed video games.
Many of them are shallow and use exploitative business models, but I guess that's becoming true of console games too.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Mobile games are 100% video games in every way. They're just not on a console. It's just another unique form of handheld gaming. They're also major and important to gaming history, as console gaming is dying slowly. People want to be able to connect faster or more reliably, and having easy wifi does that. A lot of consoles have tons of online issues, Switch included. Even PC's does. Phones have some of the easiest and more reliable internet access as well, making it some of the best for multiplayer.

It makes perfect sense why it's doing so well. And will continue to do well. Frankly, Granblue Fantasy is absolutely deserving of Smash due to being a major thing in gaming history. That's actually the criteria for 3rd parties by default, gaming history. It doesn't matter if it's a Gacha game. Big deal. It has nothing to do with how it'll affect Smash. There's more to it than the genre. Also, I highly doubt we'll get another FE character like that. There's no point when they're already being received poorly due to how big the character list is for them. FEH is big, sure, but it makes far more sense to show off an even bigger Mobile game if they want to go that route. It would also help introduce Granblue Fantasy to the West, so it has merit. This is what kept Marth and Roy in Melee's international versions. If they plan to bring Granblue Fantasy worldwide, this is a good way to do so. Though this can be a fair reason why we might not get the character, since they aren't known worldwide(Erdrick isn't in a much better place, just slightly better).

As for Persona 5 not being on Switch? No reason it has to be. If it's not going to come out for it any time soon, it just proves that Nintendo, like Sakurai isn't choosing the characters for advertising reasons alone. They find them interesting. Now some could be(as noted by Katalina), but there's no reason to believe every 3rd party must be chosen because of Nintendo importance either. This is no different from Cloud. He had none. Zip. Yet there he was.
This may just be personal opinion; but I don't think a Mobile game could ever provide a fraction of the experience a console/PC game gives. I certainly HOPE the console market doesn't die... that's a scary thought.

D

Deleted member

So Granblue is such a major thing in gaming history, so important as to deserve a place in smash, that it needs smash to introduce it to western audiences? Feels maybe just a tad contradictory.

D

Deleted member

keep in dear mind

wouldn't be far off if they earned themselves a fighter after all the previous musous and recent musou crossovers they done for Nintendo and their history with them
I find it weird that there are zero spirits from the Zelda and FE musous.

Untouch

Smash Master
Fatal Frame is part owned by Nintendo.
I think Nintendo owns the rights to Maiden of Black Water.

D

Deleted member

Just from a quick look-up, I’m seeing some contradictory info on it but it seems Nintendo co-owns the Fatal Frame IP. Which would mean Koei Tecmo would still have to be involved to get the rights for those spirits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
There is a line, and it's called being a video game character (originating in a video game). Stop creating slippery slopes. It's a weak argument and makes you look like you have nothing of substance to add to this argument.
While I get what you mean, and you are absolutely right to some extent, it does rub me the wrong way for the same reason as ETG. We have yet to even scratch the surface of classic characters, and Nintendo decided to add someone like Katalina who isn't even a mainline gaming character on PC or Console? Then what's next... Fortnite guy because of how big it is? That's why I say you might as well add someone like Goku, Batman or Geralt (having them in the line because Geralt originates from books after all) and get over with the last line that is yet to be passed.

I'm don't want Smash to end up as a cluster**** where they add just a random character for the sake of adding (see Yoda and Darth Vader in SC for a perfect example) which is something I'm afraid that Smash would be if they started to touch the mobile territory

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
After checking, the Erdrick leak from 5ch doesn't mention P5R coming to the Switch. Looking back in the thread, though, Xenother's source claimed that it was Switch-exclusive, which has just now been debunked.

Ouch... Please don't attack Xenother for this. It isn't their fault. They were probably fed inaccurate info.
the switch-exclusive stuff doesn't hurt him at all
everything is in place and very likely they're still going to bring over P5R to the Switch

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
You just listed why I hate Granblue. It’s a mobile game, and I think Smash has much more territory to cover in the main console gaming space before they even touch mobile. We’ve barely touched the surface of third parties in all reality and there are tons of Nintendo characters still around without a place in the game as well. I’ve not come completely around to the idea of an indie character in Smash, so I’m sure as hell not going to be on board for mobile.

I can’t even play Granblue or any affiliated property right now in the States, nor can I play it on a Nintendo console in any way. It may be expanding as a franchise into more general gaming, but it still undeniably started as a mobile gatcha, and I’m not ready for that in Smash. Most people draw the line at non-video game characters, I draw it a little bit sooner at mobile stuff.

I know it makes sense, but it’d feel 10 times worse as a cooperate “shill” pick than anything we’ve ever seen so far to me. So yeah, I’m not a fan. I’m talking about it exactly because it’s more likely than it should be (and do we make a case for Fortnite as well with this mentality? It has about as much going for it as Granblue outside of Nintendo’s shares, and again, I have my own personal lines that these things cross).

Maybe I’m too entrenched in a classic mindset, but so far I’ve not been let down by my values with Smash and I’ve never seen any specific character as anything less than a decent pick so far.

Again, Slime is my second most wanted on this list, he’s just been buried in the conversations about everyone else and the idea that he’s been heard much less inspires little confidence. He’s not deconfirmed, but he’s definitely on the least stable ground of any of these it seems to me.

Ah well, I did get Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS, so I’ll be playing that for the foreseeable future as well. Maybe I’ll end up supporting Eight or something haha.
Fair enough. We all have different opinions on who we want/thinks should be in Smash, so I'm not gonna try to persuade you out of your opinion.

On the Fortnite point though, unlike that game, Nintendo is working with Cygames and they now own 5% of the company, so Granblue (IMO) has the advantage over most mobile games since it's made by a company that Nintendo now partially owns.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The worst part is that I think someone like Fjorm is the only one that has a chance to be a FE DLC rep that isn't from Three Houses

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
The worst part is that I think someone like Fjorm is the only one that has a chance to be a FE DLC rep that isn't from Three Houses
I’m not really sure.

Heroes seems to be swapping out their main cast with every new book (minus the Askr siblings, Anna, Veronica, and Loki) so I’m not sure Fjorm would be as likely as a pick. It really depends on when the decision was made to add her (if a FEH Rep was considered).

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I’m not really sure.

Heroes seems to be swapping out their main cast with every new book (minus the Askr siblings, Anna, Veronica, and Loki) so I’m not sure Fjorm would be as likely as a pick. It really depends on when the decision was made to add her (if a FEH Rep was considered).
I say Fjorm because of my understanding with FEH, she is arguably the most popular one of the OCs. If it's not her then it's Sharena

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This may just be personal opinion; but I don't think a Mobile game could ever provide a fraction of the experience a console/PC game gives. I certainly HOPE the console market doesn't die... that's a scary thought.
I hope it doesn't die either, but it is dying.

So Granblue is such a major thing in gaming history, so important as to deserve a place in smash, that it needs smash to introduce it to western audiences? Feels maybe just a tad contradictory.
Gaming history isn't about being released worldwide. It's about having an impact on the games to come. That's what gaming history really means. Minecraft, for instance, is a Western game, but what made it matter is how much it influenced tons of Sandbox games. I shouldn't have used the term gaming history though. I honestly cannot remember what it impacted. But it's absolutely a huge enough game on its own to easily appear in Smash. A lot of games don't even come close to how big it is in Japan.

Worldwide knowledge isn't the whole point. It's solely about what it impacts on later games that matters. Like Super Mario Bros. impacting platforming to a huge degree. Not because it was worldwide at all. But because of the gameplay and what they were able to learn from it. That's what really matters.

frostare

Smash Rookie
Wow, Slime isn't doing too well, huh? I guess people want a fighter that looks the part for a fighting game. =D

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
the switch-exclusive stuff doesn't hurt him at all
everything is in place and very likely they're still going to bring over P5R to the Switch
I mean...seeing as Xenother's source said it was Switch-exclusive, yea, it does hurt him.
I keep seeing this; we're just completely neglecting the fact that a leaker was wrong about something "little" even though they were definite on said little thing.

This seems more like your opinion compared to anything else. I highlighted every time you mentioned yourself in your statement to emphasize this. Your vague criteria such as "decent picks" and "more likely than it should be" are similarly subjective, and can't be used to convey objective judgement about the inclusion or exclusion of a character like you seem to attempt doing.

You can't deny the massive presence that mobile gaming has within the Industry. I know most people look at it as "MOBILE GAMING IS FOR CASUAL NORMIES REEEEEEEEE," but it's massive enough to encourage Nintendo to dive in when they were obviously hesitant. Because as much as we may not like it, console gaming is slowly losing its place in the Industry compared to mobile and PC gaming. The "main console market" is shrinking, and mobile gaming only continues to grow. A mobile gaming character to represent that massive market is warranted if it occurs, and who better to represent it than Katalina or another Granblue character, who is accessible for negotiations and is from a massive Japanese mobile game that's rapidly expanding?

TPC defending Katalina?
Maybe it'll be a good day after all :")

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Wow, Slime isn't doing too well, huh? I guess people want a fighter that looks the part for a fighting game. =D
main does not check out
I mean...seeing as Xenother's source said it was Switch-exclusive, yea, it does hurt him.
I keep seeing this; we're just completely neglecting the fact that a leaker was wrong about something "little" even though they were definite on said little thing.
It's an inconsistency, yeah. Verge mentioned the Castlevania SotN compilation would be on Switch and then it wasn't. Details in these rumors just seem to be embellished as they make their way down the chain, assuming any of it is even true to begin with.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
i think Slime was one of those "he's a mascot, so Nintendo or Sakurai would choose this instead" kind of case
it immediately died down once Cloud and Joker was chosen and Nintendo and said company not taking the "safe route" to negotiate for Smash

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
main does not check out
It's an inconsistency, yeah. Verge mentioned the Castlevania SotN compilation would be on Switch and then it wasn't. Details in these rumors just seem to be embellished as they make their way down the chain, assuming any of it is even true to begin with.
Yep. And because it's an inconsistency I am comfortable if it's held against Xenother.
Nothing against the guy, it's never anything personal against leakers; but I just keep seeing this weird habit where people go "well it's such a small detail it doesn't really count so yeah".

ZelDan

Smash Master
Mobile games aren't my cup of tea but I also don;t really have any hatred towards them.

As such, a character from a mobile series is pretty low on the totem pole are far as my interest in smash representation is concerned, but I won't exactly get mad if one WAS to make it in, depending on if the character itself is cool when judged on their own merit. Kataline, for example, looked pretty cool as far as her design goes, so if she also had a fun and interesting moveset, then, eh, I could probably live with it even if I personaly have no interest in her.

I'd still take Katalina over Steve at the very least...

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Yep. And because it's an inconsistency I am comfortable if it's held against Xenother.
Nothing against the guy, it's never anything personal against leakers; but I just keep seeing this weird habit where people go "well it's such a small detail it doesn't really count so yeah".
A perfectly reasonable stance and one I agree with, provided you don't act like one of the bloodthirsty goblins that posts on gamefaqs every time Verge gets something wrong.

D

Deleted member

I hope it doesn't die either, but it is dying.

Gaming history isn't about being released worldwide. It's about having an impact on the games to come. That's what gaming history really means. Minecraft, for instance, is a Western game, but what made it matter is how much it influenced tons of Sandbox games. I shouldn't have used the term gaming history though. I honestly cannot remember what it impacted. But it's absolutely a huge enough game on its own to easily appear in Smash. A lot of games don't even come close to how big it is in Japan.

Worldwide knowledge isn't the whole point. It's solely about what it impacts on later games that matters. Like Super Mario Bros. impacting platforming to a huge degree. Not because it was worldwide at all. But because of the gameplay and what they were able to learn from it. That's what really matters.
Fair in that case. Perhaps significance would be a more appropriate term rather than history/impact, as Granblue as a series is still fairly young. My point about it being released worldwide was more that a game that has a big impact on gaming would inherently have to have some western presence for that impact to be ‘palpable’. Even dragon quest has been released in the West.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Most of you are pretty ignorant when it comes to Granblue.

Lemme make this clear;
I just logged on and got 30 free draws. The day before, I got 30 free draws. Before that, I got 10, and the day before that, I got 20, and before that, I got 20.
After I use these 30 free draws, I get to draw again until I get an SSR; the best kind of character possible.
Of course, these characters all drawn for free will also get me crystals; for every "Fate Episode" I complete, which comes with the characters and is just a little story about them, I get free crystals, which enables me to purchase things and draw more if I wanted to.
Perhaps I'll use these characters to go through the story mode which currently expands over 100 chapters. Every chapter I complete, I get crystals and materials to help my characters.

But it's just "gacha nonsense pay to win" right?
Lol

Edit: Oh, I just got 200 free crystals just because they ****ing felt like giving it to me, right after I was given a good weapon simply for LOGGING IN A FEW DAYS IN A ROW.

But go on about how it's just soul-sucking and not a REAL game, you childish elitists.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fair in that case. Perhaps significance would be a more appropriate term rather than history/impact, as Granblue as a series is still fairly young. My point about it being released worldwide was more that a game that has a big impact on gaming would inherently have to have some western presence for that impact to be ‘palpable’. Even dragon quest has been released in the West.
Well, no. It's not like that. You don't need Western presence. You just need game developers to look at your game and be inspired by it.

That's what impact is when it comes to influencing more games to come. Dragon Quest definitely had an impact, but it wasn't being worldwide that did it. It's because Square-Enix and other Japanese companies built on that engine from the start. Final Fantasy, EarthBound, Pokemon, they all have influence from it. I won't pretend Western companies didn't it either, but point stands.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Wait. For the complete edition of Persona 5, has it been confirmed to be PS4 exclusive or just coming to PS4?

There’s a difference.

D

Deleted member

Well, no. It's not like that. You don't need Western presence. You just need game developers to look at your game and be inspired by it.

That's what impact is when it comes to influencing more games to come. Dragon Quest definitely had an impact, but it wasn't being worldwide that did it. It's because Square-Enix and other Japanese companies built on that engine from the start. Final Fantasy, EarthBound, Pokemon, they all have influence from it. I won't pretend Western companies didn't it either, but point stands.
True, but I still think a series can’t really be super significant and influential to gaming unless it has some sort of worldwide presence.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Wait. For the complete edition of Persona 5, has it been confirmed to be PS4 exclusive or just coming to PS4?

There’s a difference.
It's coming to PS4. We don't yet know if it is exclusive to the PS4 or not. That being said, this does debunk it being a Switch-exclusive, if it's even meant to be an exclusive at all.

Top Bottom