• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Octopath Traveller proved that Square still knows how to make good games.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well **** me. Call of Duty is exclusive to PS4....Wait

I think the thing to note is that it's not going to be Switch exclusive in the end like all the leakers thought. Even if it does get on Switch, they would still be wrong in the end about this because it was multiplatform. This ends up damaging credibility, and thus stuff like the Erdrick leak.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I think the thing to note is that it's not going to be Switch exclusive in the end like all the leakers thought. Even if it does get on Switch, they would still be wrong in the end about this because it was multiplatform. This ends up damaging credibility, and thus stuff like the Erdrick leak.
Mystic said on resetEra that it might be a PS4/Switch version though.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Welp, I guess in the end, though, P5R itself is not the Switch exclusive P5 game we're getting. Will it be on the Switch? Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised. That being said, though, didn't the original leak and Xeno's Atlus source say that it'd be Switch-exclusive? Maybe the source misinterpreted the info and thought it was for P5R, when in reality, it isn't.

It does put a dent in the Erdrick leak, though, and on insiders' sources. Please don't start attacking the insiders for this, though. Just because they got that info wrong doesn't mean that they're at fault. They're relaying what they're being told. This is why I recommend taking leaks like this with a large grain of salt.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/忍者龍剣伝#登場キャラクター
https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/doa6/chara_hayabusa.html
Ryu Hayabusa is always written in katakana since his story takes place in America in the original game.
And katakana is not only used for foreign names and words. There are old Japanese people with katakana names too.
I never knew Ryu was always named in Katakana. Must have been thinking of Strider Hiryuu for some reason.

And certainly didn't know people would do that. Let alone old people.
The more you know!

Untouch

Smash Master
Just a note, neither of the leaks posted say that P5R was coming to Switch.
Both of them just mentioned that it'd be released in the first half of 2019.

D

Deleted member

Well **** me. Call of Duty is exclusive to PS4....Wait

That video you're posting is from Sony's channel, it'd never advertise other platforms.
The P5R announcement is in Atlus's own channel, meaning they had no reason to show the PS4 logo unless it was an exclusive. Tbh, what's even the ****ing point of rereleasing P5 on the PS4?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Just a note, neither of the leaks posted say that P5R was coming to Switch.
Both of them just mentioned that it'd be released in the first half of 2019.
After checking, the Erdrick leak from 5ch doesn't mention P5R coming to the Switch. Looking back in the thread, though, Xenother's source claimed that it was Switch-exclusive, which has just now been debunked.

Ouch... Please don't attack Xenother for this. It isn't their fault. They were probably fed inaccurate info.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
That video you're posting is from Sony's channel, it'd never advertise other platforms.
The P5R announcement is in Atlus's own channel, meaning they had no reason to show the PS4 logo unless it was an exclusive. Tbh, what's even the ****ing point of rereleasing P5 on the PS4?
That is the console that already sold 1 million+ copies of the game.

So you know you’re going to have some audience there.

As for it not coming to Switch (as of now), that does suck.

But it also doesn’t hurt any of the major leaks, so this doesn’t really change anything in speculation.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
wasn't there a site for persona 5S in one of the persona central leaks that's probably the one we're gonna get

Untouch

Smash Master
The following Persona 5 domains were registered.

Persona 5A -> Anime adapation.
Persona 5R -> This new reveal.
Persona 5S -> ??? (Likely a Switch port.)
Persona 5M -> ??? (Likely a Mobage.)
Persona 5B -> ??? (No idea.)

D

Deleted member

Don’t know why people are super surprised it isn’t a switch exclusive or confirmed for the switch yet.
Remember MGS4? Or FF7R? Or Castlevania Requiem? Hell, even Street fighter 5 and Sonic 06 to an extent?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Really? You're going there of all places?
What I mean is that even though Sonic was announced back in 2007, that game wasn’t ported. Granted, reception likely didn’t help, which is why I said it was a stretch.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Somebody send help.

I was suppose to get started on writing my thoughts on Smash speculation before the end of the year, but then I started playing Dragon Quest VIII 3DS three days ago, and I cannot stop playing.

I am way too addicted. Too ****ing addicted.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Also DQ dudes, if it is not much trouble, can you check my recent edited post on DQ8. I have some game related questions I need answers for.

I would make a new post, but I would be double posting at that point.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
For me, the big thing that this leak is leaning on is the Ninja Gaiden announcement.
I have seen no mentions of this anywhere, and KT hasn't been talking about the 30th anniversary (which has already happened).

Ninja Gaiden's Japan release was 30 years ago in February though (was released later in Japan oddly enough), so if there was going to be an announcement for the anniversary it would be VERY soon.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
You tell me where in the Erdrick leak it mentions P5R being Switch exclusive and I'll believe you.

Wait. It doesn't? You mean to tell me that this doesn't change anything in speculation?

Guess it's just like any other information in this speculation cycle; we're right back where we started.
I think the statement of there being no work done in the DLC characters.
Which is a misinterpretation. Sakurai said that Joker is in an unplayable state, which can put him anywhere from having only pre-development work done on him to having models and programming ready but not implemented in the game yet. He could even be in the game but have bugs and issues to work though, therefore being unplayable.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
If Nintendo decides to go the mobile game route for 3rd Party DLC (which you really shouldn’t rule out at this point), Granblue is one of the few games that actually makes sense to get representation.

3 reasons:
-The game is INSANELY popular in Japan, and it’s still going strong after 4 years.
-With Granblue Fantasy Versus and Relink coming in 2019 and beyond, it’s clear that Cygames is pushing Granblue into the general gaming market.
-Nintendo actually owns 5% of Cygames due to both of them working together on Dragalia Lost

So if we do get someone from a mobile game, don’t be surprised if it’s a Granblue/Cygames character. It’s probably the most likely outcome for getting a mobile rep, which is something we have to take into serious consideration since Nintendo is now part of that market.

As for Slime, there’s been no deconfirmation yet. Nothing we’ve discussed here has been proven true. Slime still has a chance.
You just listed why I hate Granblue. It’s a mobile game, and I think Smash has much more territory to cover in the main console gaming space before they even touch mobile. We’ve barely touched the surface of third parties in all reality and there are tons of Nintendo characters still around without a place in the game as well. I’ve not come completely around to the idea of an indie character in Smash, so I’m sure as hell not going to be on board for mobile.

I can’t even play Granblue or any affiliated property right now in the States, nor can I play it on a Nintendo console in any way. It may be expanding as a franchise into more general gaming, but it still undeniably started as a mobile gatcha, and I’m not ready for that in Smash. Most people draw the line at non-video game characters, I draw it a little bit sooner at mobile stuff.

I know it makes sense, but it’d feel 10 times worse as a cooperate “shill” pick than anything we’ve ever seen so far to me. So yeah, I’m not a fan. I’m talking about it exactly because it’s more likely than it should be (and do we make a case for Fortnite as well with this mentality? It has about as much going for it as Granblue outside of Nintendo’s shares, and again, I have my own personal lines that these things cross).

Maybe I’m too entrenched in a classic mindset, but so far I’ve not been let down by my values with Smash and I’ve never seen any specific character as anything less than a decent pick so far.

Again, Slime is my second most wanted on this list, he’s just been buried in the conversations about everyone else and the idea that he’s been heard much less inspires little confidence. He’s not deconfirmed, but he’s definitely on the least stable ground of any of these it seems to me.

Ah well, I did get Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS, so I’ll be playing that for the foreseeable future as well. Maybe I’ll end up supporting Eight or something haha.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You just listed why I hate Granblue. It’s a mobile game, and I think Smash has much more territory to cover in the main console gaming space before they even touch mobile. We’ve barely touched the surface of third parties in all reality and there are tons of Nintendo characters still around without a place in the game as well. I’ve not come completely around to the idea of an indie character in Smash, so I’m sure as hell not going to be on board for mobile.

I can’t even play Granblue or any affiliated property right now in the States, nor can I play it on a Nintendo console in any way. It may be expanding as a franchise into more general gaming, but it still undeniably started as a mobile gatcha, and I’m not ready for that in Smash. Most people draw the line at non-video game characters, I draw it a little bit sooner at mobile stuff.

I know it makes sense, but it’d feel 10 times worse as a cooperate “shill” pick than anything we’ve ever seen so far to me. So yeah, I’m not a fan. I’m talking about it exactly because it’s more likely than it should be (and do we make a case for Fortnite as well with this mentality? It has about as much going for it as Granblue outside of Nintendo’s shares, and again, I have my own personal lines that these things cross).

Maybe I’m too entrenched in a classic mindset, but so far I’ve not been let down by my values with Smash and I’ve never seen any specific character as anything less than a decent pick so far.

Again, Slime is my second most wanted on this list, he’s just been buried in the conversations about everyone else and the idea that he’s been heard much less inspires little confidence. He’s not deconfirmed, but he’s definitely on the least stable ground of any of these it seems to me.

Ah well, I did get Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS, so I’ll be playing that for the foreseeable future as well. Maybe I’ll end up supporting Eight or something haha.
Cmon dude; you're saying you DON'T want the angry bird's in smash? :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

I interpret Joker being unplayable as him having most of the model work done, his moveset and animations underway, but he hasn’t actually been implemented into the game proper yet.
Also on Katalina, I don’t want her because I ****ing hate gacha games so much.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
would be far more interesting than certain fan favorite picks
Okay, I know Opti's behavior has been rather unsound, but you're just obviously egging on more conflict and fighting, too. It's fine if you're not for Geno in Smash, but c'mon. Stop that. It makes you look just as annoying.

xenother

Smash Apprentice
After checking, the Erdrick leak from 5ch doesn't mention P5R coming to the Switch. Looking back in the thread, though, Xenother's source claimed that it was Switch-exclusive, which has just now been debunked.

Ouch... Please don't attack Xenother for this. It isn't their fault. They were probably fed inaccurate info.
That info does seem to be inaccurate, yeah. I was given info that P5R would be revealed today (which was true) and posted about it on GameFAQs. I am still confident that it's coming to Switch.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That info was inaccurate, yeah. I was given info that P5R would be revealed today and posted about it on GameFAQs. I am still confident that it's coming to Switch.
I hope it does, even if it isn't an exclusive, because I've held off on buying it on PS4 in case it does come out on the Switch, haha. Thanks for the info!

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Yeah if we start adding mobile characters, we might as well ad multimedia ones (Goku, Geralt, Batman etc) even though I hate the idea. It should be some line they stop at.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
As someone who literally just started Persona 5 (-_-) does anyone know what the voice acting is saying in this tease?

If it's a sequel or follow up story or spin-off of some sort? I ain't mad, but if it's a game that's the same story but with new characters/content added. I doubt I'm double dipping.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

I know it makes sense, but it’d feel 10 times worse as a cooperate “shill” pick than anything we’ve ever seen so far to me. So yeah, I’m not a fan. I’m talking about it exactly because it’s more likely than it should be (and do we make a case for Fortnite as well with this mentality? It has about as much going for it as Granblue outside of Nintendo’s shares, and again, I have my own personal lines that these things cross.

This seems more like your opinion compared to anything else. I highlighted every time you mentioned yourself in your statement to emphasize this. Your vague criteria such as "decent picks" and "more likely than it should be" are similarly subjective, and can't be used to convey objective judgement about the inclusion or exclusion of a character like you seem to attempt doing.

You can't deny the massive presence that mobile gaming has within the Industry. I know most people look at it as "MOBILE GAMING IS FOR CASUAL NORMIES REEEEEEEEE," but it's massive enough to encourage Nintendo to dive in when they were obviously hesitant. Because as much as we may not like it, console gaming is slowly losing its place in the Industry compared to mobile and PC gaming. The "main console market" is shrinking, and mobile gaming only continues to grow. A mobile gaming character to represent that massive market is warranted if it occurs, and who better to represent it than Katalina or another Granblue character, who is accessible for negotiations and is from a massive Japanese mobile game that's rapidly expanding?
Yeah if we start adding mobile characters, we might as well add multimedia ones (Goku, Geralt, Batman etc) even though I hate the idea. It should be some line they stop at.
There is a line, and it's called being a video game character (originating in a video game). Stop creating slippery slopes. It's a weak argument and makes you look like you have nothing of substance to add to this argument.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This seems more like your opinion compared to anything else. I highlighted every time you mentioned yourself in your statement to emphasize this. Your vague criteria such as "decent picks" and "more likely than it should be" are similarly subjective, and can't be used to convey objective judgement about the inclusion or exclusion of a character like you seem to attempt doing.

You can't deny the massive presence that mobile gaming has within the Industry. I know most people look at it as "MOBILE GAMING IS FOR CASUAL NORMIES REEEEEEEEE," but it's massive enough to encourage Nintendo to dive in when they were obviously hesitant. Because as much as we may not like it, console gaming is slowly losing its place in the Industry compared to mobile and PC gaming. The "main console market" is shrinking, and mobile gaming only continues to grow. A mobile gaming character to represent that massive market is warranted if it occurs, and who better to represent it than Katalina or another Granblue character, who is accessible for negotiations and is from a massive Japanese mobile game that's rapidly expanding?
I mean, when did he ever imply it wasn’t his opinion, or that it was some objective fact that mobile games shouldn’t be in smash?

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I mean, when did he ever imply it wasn’t his opinion, or that it was some objective fact that mobile games shouldn’t be in smash?
The structure of his argument makes it seem like he's arguing facts instead of justifying an opinion. He's saying "here's why mobile gaming shouldn't be in Smash," and has nothing more to back it up than an opinion "mobile gaming shouldn't be in Smash because I don't want it."

Might just be me reading too far into it, but that's how his argument came off, and I responded in turn to that..

Last edited:
Top Bottom