• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Quite a few Yugioh OCG List leaks also originated from 4chan. As did the original Smash 4 leak. 4chan gets real leaks quite often. It's also full of crap.

There is no good reason to discredit it based upon the origin of site. There's way too many real ones that come from there all the time. The leak itself can still easily be fake, but it's best to look at the actual quality of it, and things that are issues on their own merits. I.E. Having a non-game character would actually be a good reason.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Quite a few Yugioh OCG List leaks also originated from 4chan. As did the original Smash 4 leak. 4chan gets real leaks quite often. It's also full of crap.

There is no good reason to discredit it based upon the origin of site. There's way too many real ones that come from there all the time. The leak itself can still easily be fake, but it's best to look at the actual quality of it, and things that are issues on their own merits. I.E. Having a non-game character would actually be a good reason.
Wait, you mean we aren't getting Ed, Edd, and Eddy for Smash Bros. then?!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Okay, fine, you win, whatever.
The whole point is that you can’t write off a leak just because it comes from 4chan since several legitimate leaks do come from there due to how anonymous users can be.

Not to say that this leak is real. I doubt anyone actually has access to not only Persona 5 music, but Dragon Quest AND Monster Hunter Music.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not doing this to "win", I'm doing this because I see people throw out leaks too often with "it's 4chan so deconfirmed"
There's better reasons to disprove it.
It would help if people stopped looking at the smallest part of the leak, which is the least important. There's more to a leak than where it comes from. Like the actual leaker if shown, is way more important. They're people who can put their leaks anywhere. If Verg magically posts on 4chan(he doesn't, as he sticks to Reddit and GameFAQs), this would not change his credibility in the slightest. He already has shaky credibility due to the actual stuff not happening and never having a perfect track record. That's enough reason to be skeptical of him. Legitimately so.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
care to elaborate?
There was a random post on 5chan basically saying that Square Enix is fully aware of the demands for Geno from core smash fans but he won't be in because SE is concerned people to recognize him as "smash" character.
In the same post this guy was also mentioning that there are hardly no demands for Genos' come back other than from smash fanbase.
Plus, there was also a rumor back years ago said that SE suggested Nintendo to buy the rights for some SMRPG contents but Nintendo refused.
And Japan seems to think these two are lining up.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm not doing this to "win", I'm doing this because I see people throw out leaks too often with "it's 4chan so deconfirmed"
There's better reasons to disprove it.
Such logic...

They grow up so fast.
There was a random post on 5chan basically saying that Square Enix is fully aware of the demands for Geno from core smash fans but he won't be in because SE is concerned people to recognize him as "smash" character.
In the same post this guy was also mentioning that there are hardly no demands for Genos' come back other than from smash fanbase.
Plus, there was also a rumor back years ago said that SE suggested Nintendo to buy the rights for some SMRPG contents but Nintendo refused.
>Square Enix offers the rights to SMRPG content
>Nintendo refuses

If this is true it'd be an absolute laugh riot. I'm almost laughing from the suggestion alone.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Such logic...

They grow up so fast.
I do it for you papa :"]

Doesn't seem like a rumor just seems like a theory.
Also, never heard of that rumor regarding Nintendo and the SMRPG content.

I'm honestly more interested in that DOOM leak.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Geno from core smash fans but he won't be in because SE is concerned people to recognize him as "smash" character
In the sense that he'd only be recognized for Smash and nothing else?
Sigh, I suppose that sadly makes sense.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I wouldn't be surprised if SE had their reservations for such a thing, but all of this sounds like random hearsay. 5chan text leaks without anything that's been proven or holds water seems like something to disregard, especially about deep and obscure business relations like that.

D

Deleted member

Oh, that post. Was it the same one that said Bamco forced in Tales Of characters in planning and that Chun-Li was planned?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
If this was true at all, I am pretty sure the Geno fanbase would murder Nintendo for refusing to buy the SMRPG rights. :p

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
>Square Enix offers the rights to SMRPG content
>Nintendo refuses

If this is true it'd be an absolute laugh riot. I'm almost laughing from the suggestion alone.
Depends. Nintendo themselves could've easily just not seen that much profit in the idea. Especially if no one in the company was really interested in making a sequel to SMRPG.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
In the sense that he'd only be recognized for Smash and nothing else?
Yes, that's the thought. Geno would be recognized for Smash, from Nintendo, and not Super Mario RPG, from Square Enix. That only benefits Nintendo, so there's no reason for Square Enix to do so.
If this was true at all, I am pretty sure the Geno fanbase would murder Nintendo for refusing to buy the SMRPG rights. :p
It'd be the height of entitlement within the Smash Bros. fanbase.

Nintendo owes us nothing, and this is proof of it.
Depends. Nintendo themselves could've easily just not seen that much profit in the idea. Especially if no one in the company was really interested in making a sequel to SMRPG.
That's the point. The point is that people suggest it but it's a horrible business decision, so for it to actually happen is hilarious.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hey, I'd definitely look on the bright side of it, that maybe one day, if Nintendo changes their mind, Square would actually be willing to work out a deal. It's usually Square that concerns me more about SMRPG than it is Nintendo.

That being said, I doubt this is true anyhow.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sorry for bringing up the 4chan pic.
I know it's probably fake, but I was weak, and fanboyed all over it. :dedede:

So.. other SE characters I'd like to see, not from the list would be:
Eight (for DQ)
Terra (for FF) (Green hair FTW)
Lara Croft (for TR)
Serge (for CC) ((super pipe dream))

And hey, the Secret of Mana trío would be amazing.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Sounds nuts as ****, I can already imagine in negotiations:
Sakurai: Hey guys, I'd like to get Geno here.
Square rep: Sorry, we can't allow that.
Sakurai: Why?
Square rep: We don't want him to be recognized for being an Smash character. Want him in, buy our rights.
Sakurai: How much did they cost again.
Square rep: :insert incredibly big amount of money here:
Sakurai: Yeah, **** that ****! You can keep him all you want.
Wonder what's up with that DOOM leak though.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Squenix: Hey y'all want Geno back? Oh and Mallow and everyone else? It'd cost you some, but you can easily earn it back.

Nintendo: Wait, you mean the beloved Geno, so well-loved and demanded he got a personalized Mii costume in one of our flagship titles, has remained consistently requested for over a decade, is fondly looked upon by gamers who grew up with SMRPG, has newfound relevance thanks to re-releases such as on the SNES Classic and the Wii E-Shop, as well as the rest of the crew such as cute little Mallow and the memorable Axem Rangers, which could enable us to make a full-blown sequel to one of the most popular games on the SNES with a legacy lasting even today?

Nintendo:

Nintendo: Of course not you ****ing idiots

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Sounds nuts as ****, I can already imagine in negotiations:
Sakurai: Hey guys, I'd like to get Geno here.
Square rep: Sorry, we can't allow that.
Sakurai: Why?
Square rep: We don't want him to be recognized for being an Smash character. Want him in, buy our rights.
Sakurai: How much did they cost again.
Square rep: :insert incredibly big amount of money here:
Sakurai: Yeah, **** that ****! You can keep him all you want.
Yeah, I can see that happening. Passion for a character can only take you so far as coffers will allow. Not that Sakurai would even be the one calling the shots on such a monetary deal in the first place outside his jurisdiction.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
It's really weird to think that there are, what most people consider to be "Mario characters" that Nintendo doesn't actually own.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/443463387/#q443463387
I’m fairly certain this is the post being talked about. It’s been posted here before iirc.

Anyways buying the rights to SMRPG would be a gamble, can’t see it being a decision Nintendo would take the risk for.
Oh yeah, that one? Obviously fake. If they knew enough to have information to share, they'd know Geno's name and wouldn't just call him 'the Mii guy'. That's rather silly.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Squenix: Hey y'all want Geno back? Oh and Mallow and everyone else? It'd cost you some, but you can easily earn it back.

Nintendo: Wait, you mean the beloved Geno, so well-loved and demanded he got a personalized Mii costume in one of our flagship titles, has remained consistently requested for over a decade, is fondly looked upon by gamers who grew up with SMRPG, has newfound relevance thanks to re-releases such as on the SNES Classic and the Wii E-Shop, as well as the rest of the crew such as cute little Mallow and the memorable Axem Rangers, which could enable us to make a full-blown sequel to one of the most popular games on the SNES with a legacy lasting even today?

Nintendo:

Nintendo: Of course not you ****ing idiots
Passion towards a character can only go so far in the Corporate Realm unless it's large enough to affect business on a wide scale, like in the case of King K. Rool, whose popularity was too large to be ignored.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/443463387/#q443463387
I’m fairly certain this is the post being talked about. It’s been posted here before iirc.

Anyways buying the rights to SMRPG would be a gamble, can’t see it being a decision Nintendo would take the risk for.
>Chun-Li became Ken
>Xenother's Chun-Li claim was actually right
>Lloyd and Yuri in the planning stages
>Lloyd vs. Yuri claim is also right

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
What about the DOOM stuff? You just talking about the Bethesda interview?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Passion towards a character can only go so far in the Corporate Realm unless it's large enough to affect business on a wide scale, like in the case of King K. Rool, whose popularity was too large to be ignored.
wiping tears Geno could affect business like that...c-couldn't he?

...h-he could, right? He has...? T-The Mii costume...it was a sign, right? That he could be like K. Rool...

...r-right?
giphy (1).gif

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
wiping tears Geno could affect business like that...c-couldn't he?

...h-he could, right? He has...? T-The Mii costume...it was a sign, right? That he could be like K. Rool...

...r-right?
View attachment 184786
>Pulling out that gif

My heart hurts.

I said it from the start: Geno doesn't have the popularity to affect Nintendo like K. Rool. No one does. The only character to come close was Ridley, and even then he wasn't widely requested like K. Rool.

I'm sorry my girl.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Come to think of it, Chun-Li somehow became Ken, Bandai Namco forced both Symphonia and Vesperia guys in at the planning stage and now somehow they are missing so I don't really know.
Sora was also a candidate but they were quite doubtful about representing the Kingdom Hearts series without any Disney stuff so he was rejected.
There were Sephiroth and the Mii guy from Super Mario RPG as well but in the end Sephiroth gave the seat to the Dragon Quest rep and the Mii one was in very weird position so send off to maybe another day box.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to be that guy and question why the **** would anyone know about not one, not two, but six different rejected characters, let alone explain each of them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom