• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
>Pulling out that gif

My heart hurts.

I said it from the start: Geno doesn't have the popularity to affect Nintendo like K. Rool. No one does. The only character to come close was Ridley, and even then he wasn't widely requested like K. Rool.

I'm sorry my girl.
dies, but not really

is dead

D

Deleted member

>Pulling out that gif

My heart hurts.

I said it from the start: Geno doesn't have the popularity to affect Nintendo like K. Rool. No one does. The only character to come close was Ridley, and even then he wasn't widely requested like K. Rool.

I'm sorry my girl.
“Ridley wasn’t widely requested like K. Rool”
wot
Unless you’re talking about global popularity in which case sure but otherwise
wot

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
The DOOM leak is nothing special tbh.
It came right after Jokers reveal and before the Jack Frost/Slime leak.
This leak has no credibilities by any means but somehow became popular. Maybe because it sounded kind of plausible for Japanese smash fans.
So when the Jack Frost/Slime leak popped up people immediately thought it's just piggybacking the DOOM leak.

The leak said Joker, Erdrick, Ryu Hayabusa, Steve, and Marine from DOOM will be the 5 DLC characters.
It also said P5R is coming in first half of 2019.
I'll translate the whole post if anybody wants.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
IMO the "Mii costume guy" leak is absolutely riding off of what was said around the Boards for a few weeks after release.

It's got the Chun-Li thing, Steve, the Tales Of rep DLC rumor, the Squenix gang.

It's just regurgitating that and acting like someone who apparently knows every single rejected character in existence would post a leak.

D

Deleted member

The ‘leak’ I posted is like a ****ing compilation lol. It’s the mecha combiner robot of pretty much every Ultimate DLC rumour I can remember.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
The DOOM leak is nothing special tbh.
It came right after Jokers reveal and before the Jack Frost/Slime leak.
This leak has no credibilities by any means but somehow became popular. Maybe because it sounded kind of plausible for Japanese smash fans.
So when the Jack Frost/Slime leak popped up people immediately thought it's just piggybacking the DOOM leak.

The leak said Joker, Erdrick, Ryu Hayabusa, Steve, and Marine from DOOM will be the 5 DLC characters.
Looks like a simple piggyback of the whole P5R rumours and Hitagi's claim about Steve. Granted, the list at least somewhat desirable, I'll give it that.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/443463387/#q443463387
I’m fairly certain this is the post being talked about. It’s been posted here before iirc.

Anyways buying the rights to SMRPG would be a gamble, can’t see it being a decision Nintendo would take the risk for.
Yes, this one.
The orginal post is more like gaming industry inside talks than a smash leak to me.

I can't find the source for SE selling SMRPG rumor. I think it was from 3 or 4 years ago.
I remember it was saying SE tried to sell "some SMRPG contents" not the game itself since it contains FF elements.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'm only going to ride with the Erdrick leak that said Joker would use Jack Frost, and even then it is quite shaky.
Only reasons I have to follow it honestly, is that I'm growing interested in Erdrick and because if it's true, it helps Phoenix Wright's chances.

Speaking objectively, the leak's chances of being real aren't looking too keen.

D

Deleted member

Wow thats an interesting rumor Ayumi. Could see it totally being true.

Geno doesnt seem to be that notorious outside the Smash fanbase, and frankly Nintendo would be buying the rights to characters from a single game.

I would think that Nintendo probably doesnt see Geno and the OG SMRPG worth investing when they clearly have a big cast for Mario already.

D

Deleted member

I hope this whole Square selling Super Mario RPG to Nintendo thing is real, because Geno getting in as well as Erdrick because he’s technically not a Square character would be the funniest ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Yes, this one.
The orginal post is more like gaming industry inside talks than a smash leak to me.

I can't find the source for SE selling SMRPG rumor. I think it was from 3 or 4 years ago.
I remember it was saying SE tried to sell "some SMRPG contents" not the game itself since it contains FF elements.
I'm curious A Ayumi Tachibana . Have you seen any posts over in 2chan that mention other SE reps like Sephiroth?

Smash candidates outside of SE? Phoenix Wright? NiGHTS? Marina from Mischief Makers? Considering how shaky things seem to be these days.

Any possible inner runnings from Nintendo themselves? Like Adeleine or Twintelle?

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I still find the whole idea of all this just being for "A square rep" shaky itself, they've always focused on the franchise and the character personally over the company.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I hope this whole Square selling Super Mario RPG to Nintendo thing is real, because Geno getting in as well as Erdrick because he’s technically not a Square character would be the funniest ****.
If had a way to describe how it'd feel to me, it'd be with this:

Geno fans being Hans and the football being Square.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'll translate the whole post if anybody wants.
That would be one FINE DLC roster imo. I'm not big on Minecraft, but if that brings along Doomguy and Ryu Hayabusa as well, count me in.
If anything, it's a too good to be true dismisall from my part.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Man, I just wish we’d just get an official reveal for the Square rep (if there is one) sometime soon, so we’re not going around in circles for the next few months.

Or Nintendo just leaks it. (Cause I honestly feel like there’s like a 50/50 chance of that happening)

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Yes, that's the thought. Geno would be recognized for Smash, from Nintendo, and not Super Mario RPG, from Square Enix. That only benefits Nintendo, so there's no reason for Square Enix to do so.

It'd be the height of entitlement within the Smash Bros. fanbase.

Nintendo owes us nothing, and this is proof of it.

That's the point. The point is that people suggest it but it's a horrible business decision, so for it to actually happen is hilarious.
I'm so sick of this "owing us nothing" ****, I really am. Nintendo isn't some humble indie dev pumping out free games on steam for us. They are a multi million dollar business. In order to be successful; they kinda have to cater to us, the customers. Not to sound ungrateful; but this is how it works.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
If anything, it's a too good to be true dismisall from my part.
I honestly have to agree with you there, it's too perfect.
Don't come from franchises that already are in the game? Check.
Do people see them coming? Half check (Steve and Erdrick I get it, but no one would expect Ryu or Doomguy).
Can they be considered "must-buys" or "desirable"? Check.
Do they fit with Smash like a nice bunch of french fries or mashed potatoes next to a steak? Check big time.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm so sick of this "owing us nothing" ****, I really am. Nintendo isn't some humble indie dev pumping out free games on steam for us. They are a multi million dollar business. In order to be successful; they kinda have to cater to us, the customers. Not to sound ungrateful; but this is how it works.
After 3 Million sold, I doubt they need to focus on catering to us anymore though. They could release a playable Like Like and the general audience would eat it up regardless. Smash is a console seller.

D

Deleted member

The thing is that this multi-million company are catering for us already. Between the "Everyone's here", K. Rool, Ridley, Chrom, Bayo, and so on they are quite giving a lot for Ultimate.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't believe in the owe us anything either camp.

That said, the fact they are having us pay for online means it needing improvement is on them in order to keep customers. It's no longer free, so we are paying for a service and it's reasonable to expect improvements.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I'm curious A Ayumi Tachibana . Have you seen any posts over in 2chan that mention other SE reps like Sephiroth?

Smash candidates outside of SE? Phoenix Wright? NiGHTS? Marina from Mischief Makers? Considering how shaky things seem to be these days.

Any possible inner runnings from Nintendo themselves? Like Adeleine or Twintelle?
Sephiroth was mentioned in that Geno not in leak.
Hideki Kamiya of DMC & Beyonetta tweeted that Shu Takumi, person behind Ace Attorney, was saying "Why Naruhodo-kun (Phoenix Wright) can't be in smash..." when they were drinking.
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1074899214503632897

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Which is why we're getting characters people care about, like Edrick

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

That said, the fact they are having us pay for online means it needing improvement is on them in order to keep customers. It's no longer free, so we are paying for a service and it's reasonable to expect improvements.
That's reasonable.

Thinking that Nintendo owes everything to the fans and will cater to every little fan demand isn't.
The thing is that this multi-million company are catering for us already. Between the "Everyone's here", K. Rool, Ridley, Chrom, Bayo, and so on they are quite giving a lot for Ultimate.
Nintendo doesn't owe us every little fan request. Geno is included in that.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster

And with how the online currently is, they definitely need to start working on those improvements I say!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Nintendo owe you nothing.
You're a customer.
You don't like what they do? Don't buy it. They'll find someone else to buy it.

The sad, but real, life of marketing and "target market"

D

Deleted member

Geno not getting in makes sense of Nintendo is approaching the DLC with the mindset of getting people who aren’t interested to buy smash. Most Geno supporters are hardcore and who have liked already bought the game.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
That's reasonable.

Thinking that Nintendo owes everything to the fans and will cater to every little fan demand isn't.

Nintendo doesn't owe us every little fan request. Geno is included in that.
Reducing Geno to a little fan request is incredibly disrespectful to the hundred's of thousand's of people who want him. If Nintendo want's to continue making money; they DO need to give what the fan's want as much as they can.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Nintendo doesn’t owe us everything.

But...

If Nintendo didn’t charge additional money for online, most people wouldn’t be this upset with Nintendo Online.

When you charge people more for a unimproved service, you’re gonna get backlash, and rightfully so.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Geno not getting in makes sense of Nintendo is approaching the DLC with the mindset of getting people who aren’t interested to buy smash. Most Geno supporters are hardcore and who have liked already bought the game.
This is a very good point. As much as it sucks to hear, the fact is, Geno isn't iconic. He isn't an easy system seller. He'd be great for base roster.

That said, for Square-Enix, I'm sure they want to make as much money on him as possible. They might like the idea of him as DLC. But this could be him becoming a costume again. For SE, they need to know how much he'd easily sell on his own to be sure it's a good idea too. For a very unknown character, a company wants to be sure they'd be worth bringing back. Considering how hard it was to actually get SMRPG on the VC, there's an implication they don't have faith in him. This is why DLC is a good way to gauge that. It tells 'em more sales overall.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Reducing Geno to a little fan request is incredibly disrespectful to the hundred's of thousand's of people who want him. If Nintendo want's to continue making money; they DO need to give what the fan's want as much as they can.
What about the Issac supporters or the Waluigi supporters, etc? The truth of the matter is not everyone is going to have their requested character make the cut and you have to respect that. I mean Nintendo and Sakurai did do a lot of heavy fanservice and wish fulfillment for this game like Ridley, K.Rool, Simon, Bringing every veteran back, etc.

D

Deleted member

To call Geno a small fan request feel just a tad like downplaying his popularity. He’s popular enough to get a mii costume, for Sakurai to straight up say “yeah he’s popular”, for them to negotiate the rights with a square-Enix just to use his likeness when he’s such an insignificant character. Is he as big as K. Rool was? No. Is he still pretty popular? I’d say so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Or, you know...
Attract brand-new people to buy Smash (and a Switch in some cases), like Reggie suggested in one interview with IGN:
We want all the best content on our platform. All the best content, all the best developers. And so our job is to continue growing the install base for Nintendo Switch to drive engagement of our players, to grow the audience. As that happens, then developers see the opportunity
Which is also more or less what would be demonstrated if either (or even both) 2ch and DOOM leaks become real as well.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
To call Geno small fan request feel just a tad like downplaying his popularity. He’s popular enough to get a mii costume
To be fair, Saks, who's a big Geno fan himself, might have pulled some strings to get that if not the character himself.
Nintendo have handled the catering in question exceedingly well for this latest Smash game.

And with extras like Joker and a plausible looking Phoenix Wright, etc. Well those are still just extras to the meal that us the base game.
Wow, I hoped for PW as well. Wonder if this means another Capcom rep...
You may want to check the tweet itself. There's nothing in there hurting Phoenix's chances. Quite the opposite in fact.
Nintendo owe you nothing.
You're a customer.
You don't like what they do? Don't buy it. They'll find someone else to buy it.

The sad, but real, life of marketing and "target market"
Well, they do owe us better online, that's for sure.

Top Bottom