• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RandomAce

Smash Champion
You know we ran out of stuff to talk about when people are now saying stuff in Wingdings.

''Ok, let's see if there's any interesting developments in the SE thr- ''

The Sora design I expect for Smash is one where he's wearing little accessories of all the other Squenix 6, and they're all covered in blood

He carries Geno around who's just completely ****ed up and rotting and **** because he just ****in murdered Geno

Uses a bloody Musamune alongside his keyblade

Wears a bloody Luminary wig and is covered in Slime goop

Has Erdrick's crest thing on his hair and it's notably splattered with some substance

Wears Crono's scarf which is in shreds
woah dude c'mon i gotta let papyrus know what's goin' on with his favorite pile of goop and sexy wooden robot figurine.
☟☜☹☹✌ ✡ ☼⚐
Geno = Sans = Ness = Joey Claire
Can you help Nintendo localize Mother 3

... w.... t... f.... ?

:p

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
So here is an interesting piece of info I can offer.

There was a survey done by Denfaminicogamer from 25th to 27th of December 2018 and one of the questions was the wantings for upcoming DLC characters.
The result just came up yesterday and it says that there were total of 39,392 valid responses.
Here is the result.

Rex - 79 votes
Sora - 60 votes
Bandanna Waddle Dee - 43 votes
Geno - 33 votes
Banjo & Kazooie - 32 votes
2B - 30 votes
Monster Hunter - 30 votes
Dante - 28 votes
Sans - 22 votes
Pyra - 20 votes
Amaterasu - 18 votes
Sephiroth - 18 votes
Protagonist of Dragon Quest series - 18 votes
Arle Nadja - 17 votes
Slime - 17 votes
Magolor - 15 votes
Octoling - 13 votes
Shadow - 13 votes
Artoria Pendragon - 12 votes
Phoenix Wright - 12 votes
Raiden - 11 votes
Crash Bandicoot - 11 votes
Waluigi - 11 votes
Zero - 10 votes
Kazuma Kiryu - 10 votes

What’s interesting about this result is that when you add up “Slime” and “Protagonist of Dragon Quest series”, it’ll surpass Geno and makes it in 4th place.
Considering Roto/Erdrick or other DQ characters with specific names were in too, I can see the hidden popularity of DQ for smash in Japan.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I can't wait to see you in Smash Brothers Ultimate; Sans from Toby Fox's Indie Sensation, Undertale on the Nintendo Switch! :)
This is so unusually accurate it’s just objectively more funny than Sans Undertale from Earthbound memes.

H-how could you miss my Mother 3 localization suggestion...?
Just like Nintendo! :shades:

There was a survey done by Denfaminicogamer from 25th to 27th of December 2018 and one of the questions was the wantings for upcoming DLC characters.
The result just came up yesterday and it says that there were total of 39,392 valid responses.
Here is the result.

Rex - 79 votes
Sora - 60 votes
Geno - 33 votes
2B - 30 votes
Dante - 28 votes
Sans - 22 votes
Pyra - 20 votes
Amaterasu - 18 votes
Sephiroth - 18 votes
Arle Nadja - 17 votes
Slime - 17 votes
Magolor - 15 votes
Octoling - 13 votes
Shadow - 13 votes
Raiden - 11 votes
Waluigi - 11 votes
Zero - 10 votes
Kazuma Kiryu - 10 votes
Oh **** Dragon Quest is actually polling now.

I find it funny how all of the Square Seven are in except for Crono, that’s just a lack of good taste.

Kind of insulted by Saber tying with Phoenix.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Here is the result.

Rex - 79 votes
Sora - 60 votes
Geno - 33 votes
2B - 30 votes
Dante - 28 votes
Sans - 22 votes
Pyra - 20 votes
Amaterasu - 18 votes
Sephiroth - 18 votes
Arle Nadja - 17 votes
Slime - 17 votes
Magolor - 15 votes
Octoling - 13 votes
Shadow - 13 votes
Raiden - 11 votes
Waluigi - 11 votes
Zero - 10 votes
Kazuma Kiryu - 10 votes
see guys, i'm a sansation everywhere.

Last edited:
Alright, who wrecked the flow of this thread, like seriously, what's even going on anymore?!
Hey don't look at me... it was already wrecked when i came in... i swear...

Wait a minute....the frame of Link's picture is in the shape of a square....

THE PICTURE OF LINK IS OUR SQUARE REP.
I think you need a break from speculation.
:p

D

Deleted member

Here is the result.

Rex - 79 votes
Sora - 60 votes
Geno - 33 votes
2B - 30 votes
Dante - 28 votes
Sans - 22 votes
Pyra - 20 votes
Amaterasu - 18 votes
Sephiroth - 18 votes
Arle Nadja - 17 votes
Slime - 17 votes
Magolor - 15 votes
Octoling - 13 votes
Shadow - 13 votes
Raiden - 11 votes
Waluigi - 11 votes
Zero - 10 votes
Kazuma Kiryu - 10 votes

What’s interesting about this result is that when you add up “Slime” and “Protagonist of Dragon Quest series”, it’ll surpass Geno and makes it in 4th place.
Considering Roto/Erdrick or other DQ characters with specific names were in too, I can see the hidden popularity of DQ for smash in Japan.
That's certainly interesting to note. With the potential choices for a DQ character being much more broad it makes sense the votes for it would be spread more thinly.

D

Deleted member

The Sora design I expect for Smash is one where he's wearing little accessories of all the other Squenix 6, and they're all covered in blood

He carries Geno around who's just completely ****ed up and rotting and **** because he just ****in murdered Geno

Uses a bloody Musamune alongside his keyblade

Wears a bloody Luminary wig and is covered in Slime goop

Has Erdrick's crest thing on his hair and it's notably splattered with some substance

Wears Crono's scarf which is in shreds
Are you, like, okay?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

Here is the result.

Rex - 79 votes
Sora - 60 votes
Geno - 33 votes
2B - 30 votes
Dante - 28 votes
Sans - 22 votes
Pyra - 20 votes
Amaterasu - 18 votes
Sephiroth - 18 votes
Arle Nadja - 17 votes
Slime - 17 votes
Magolor - 15 votes
Octoling - 13 votes
Shadow - 13 votes
Raiden - 11 votes
Waluigi - 11 votes
Zero - 10 votes
Kazuma Kiryu - 10 votes

I would mostly disregard this because of influence regarding the leaks. Simon massively jumped up in the fan polls when Verge mentioned him. I think it's just the nature of things.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Well since we seem to have nothing else to discuss, I want to bring up something... weird with the Joker/Erdrick leak.

But it doesn’t have to with any of the Smash-related info. It deals with the supposed development of Persona 5 Arena.

For those of you who don’t know, Arc System Works has 2 major fighting game development teams:

Team BLUE: Deals w/ sprite-based fighters (Blazblue, Persona 4 Arena)

Team RED: Deals w/ model-based fighters (Guilty Gear, Dragon Ball Fighterz (I think))

It said in the leak that P5A’s development was delayed by the development of Granblue VS.

However, based on the information we have, it seems like Granblue VS would be developed by Team Red, while Persona 5 Arena is more than likely to be developed by Team Blue.

So that begs the question:
How would the development of Granblue VS push back the development of Persona 5 Arena?

There is a chance that there are a number of people working on both teams, but if there are 2 separate development teams, why would the development of one game seriously affect the other?

It may be nothing in the end, but this is... kind of suspicious in my opinion.

I’m not sure if this has been discussed yet or if any of the major leakers/insiders/YouTubers know this info, but if they don’t, at least notify them of this possibility. They’ve got way more influence on the community than I do.

D

Deleted member

Well since we seem to have nothing else to discuss, I want to bring up something... weird with the Joker/Erdrick leak.

But it doesn’t have to with any of the Smash-related info. It deals with the supposed development of Persona 5 Arena.

For those of you who don’t know, Arc System Works has 2 major fighting game development teams:

Team RED: Deals w/ model-based fighters (Guilty Gear, Dragon Ball Fighterz (I think))

It said in the leak that P5A’s development was delayed by the development of Granblue VS.

However, based on the information we have, it seems like Granblue VS would be developed by Team Red, while Persona 5 Arena is more than likely to be developed by Team Blue.

How would the development of Granblue VS push back the development of Persona 5 Arena?

There is a chance that there are a number of people working on both teams, but if there are 2 separate development teams, why would the development of one game seriously affect the other?

I’m not sure if this has been discussed yet or if any of the major leakers/insiders/YouTubers know this info, but if they don’t, at least notify them of this possibility. They’ve got way more influence on the community than I do.
I think that if that is indeed the case then they may have decided they wanted to do P5A in the 3D style. All we can really do at this point though is wait and see.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I think that if that is indeed the case then they may have decided they wanted to do P5A in the 3D style. All we can really do at this point though is wait and see.
It’s not out of the realm of possibility.

But it would be a really weird decision since Persona 4 Arena was a successful 2D fighter that not only got a sequel in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, but was also included in Blazblue Cross Tag Battle many years after Ultimax’s release.

I figured most people would expect Persona 5 Arena to follow the same 2D style.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
When you have to start debating over the interpretation of the phrase “on screen”, I find it harder to take this leak seriously.

Nothing against you personally, but I feel like if that’s the point of contention for keeping this leak alive, then I feel we’ve reached the point of keeping this leak alive just so we have something to debate.

That’s my interpretation of the situation.
Leak lines up with what everybody has heard
Most going all in on it, Verge almost going all in on it
60% of the leak already confirmed, Erdrick and Mementos being the only unconfirmed stuff so far

I don't see how "he said Slime and Jack Frost would be on screen, so it's fake" legitimately negates the many things pointing to this leak being real. That sounds like semantics. Many, MANY people would know how his moves would work and what would 'show up on screen'. [I am NOT leaking in this post, please nobody twist my words again :) ]

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
60% of the leak already confirmed, Erdrick and Mementos being the only unconfirmed stuff so far

I don't see how "he said Slime and Jack Frost would be on screen, so it's fake" legitimately negates the many things pointing to this leak being real. That sounds like semantics. Many, MANY people would know how his moves would work and what would 'show up on screen'. [I am NOT leaking in this post, please nobody twist my words again :) ]
Look, I’m not outright saying this leak is true or false. There’s nothing that can completely prove it or disprove it.

I have presented my case for why I’m skeptical of this leak because:

-At the end of the day, it’s a text leak.
-Too many people seem dead set on a Square rep, and I’m just trying to provide my perspective, which may or may not be correct in the end.
-I think DLC isn’t necessarily the same as base speculation, so while I acknowledge Verge’s/other leakers’ credibility, I’m not immediately trusting them for DLC.

For an outsider looking in like me, based on the contents of the leak and the fact it was released AFTER Joker’s reveal, I’m VERY skeptical.

And if new info comes out of investigating this leak, I’m gonna apply it to other leaks too.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Polar, we really aren't trying to put you and other leakers down, or at least I'm not, but... you can't really blame people for being skeptical. I'm thinking we're definitely getting Erdrick myself and putting my money on it, but even then, it's hard not to question things a little. It's not that we think insiders aren't trustworthy. They're trying to share the info they know. We just don't know just how legitimate the info is, not because of the insiders and their sources, but because of what could potentially be fed to people as leakbait. A lot of things line up, don't get me wrong, but I see healthy reason to not go all in on it yet.

Also, I've definitely, uh... noticed a bit of aggression in your posting lately? Forgive me if I'm overreacting, but lately, your posts have definitely been way more on the defensive side. I understand the insiders' perspectives in terms of how this might personally feel to them, and I know they're your friends, but there is really nothing wrong with debating this, and this post makes it feel like skepticism is inherently wrong to adopt. It's... seriously nothing personal? What's wrong with discussing things instead of blindly believing? Tempering expectations should always be first and foremost, lest anyone end up incredibly disappointed at the end because things didn't go as expected.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This is so unusually accurate it’s just objectively more funny than Sans Undertale from Earthbound memes.

Just like Nintendo! :shades:

Oh **** Dragon Quest is actually polling now.

I find it funny how all of the Square Seven are in except for Crono, that’s just a lack of good taste.

Kind of insulted by Saber tying with Phoenix.
Hey, we're finally on the radar! That's an accomplishment, if I ever saw one!

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Polar, we really aren't trying to put you and other leakers down, or at least I'm not, but... you can't really blame people for being skeptical. I'm thinking we're definitely getting Erdrick myself and putting my money on it, but even then, it's hard not to question things a little. It's not that we think insiders aren't trustworthy. They're trying to share the info they know. We just don't know just how legitimate the info is, not because of the insiders and their sources, but because of what could potentially be fed to people as leakbait. A lot of things line up, don't get me wrong, but I see healthy reason to not go all in on it yet.

Also, I've definitely, uh... noticed a bit of aggression in your posting lately? Forgive me if I'm overreacting, but lately, your posts have definitely been way more on the defensive side. I understand the insiders' perspectives in terms of how this might personally feel to them, and I know they're your friends, but there is really nothing wrong with debating this, and this post makes it feel like skepticism is inherently wrong to adopt. It's... seriously nothing personal? What's wrong with discussing things instead of blindly believing? Tempering expectations should always be first and foremost, lest anyone end up incredibly disappointed at the end because things didn't go as expected.
Yeah, This feels like the new Team Fake vs Team Real to be honest.. People is free to believe or not in the "leak" and discuss about it as they pleased, we just need to try not to be douchbags with the others just because they're more skeptical or whatsoever

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

I suppose I just can't really understand this. Here's my POV.

This guy...
-Knew about Joker but didn't post about it until after Joker's reveal
-Also knows the Squenix rep which no insider is confirmed to know
-Also knows elements of their movesets
-Also knows Erdrick's alt costumes
-Also knows the philosophy of why Squenix allowed Erdrick in
-Also knows about P5U being delayed, and what P5R is
-Also knows the release window of P5R
And went "oh I'ma post about it on 5chan AFTER Joker's reveal". Though this is just one of my issues with this.

Half of the leak is Erdrick, every bit of info in there is completely unconfirmed
Mementos is unconfirmed, Jack Frost is unconfirmed, P5U being delayed is unconfirmed

And I hate to go "well they just guessed it" but look, we've had a year and a half to speculate on what P5R is. Is it so unlikely that, after seeing Joker in Smash, the leaker assumed a Switch edition of P5-which would obviously be updated, ergo, a "complete edition"-would be released? I'm pretty positive even people here thought that.

From what I get, here's what points to this being real:
-There may be a complete edition of P5 being released next year
-P5U may be delayed for Granblue
And that seems to be it. To say 60% of the leak is confirmed seems misleading. Especially considering that;
-We have had a year and a half to speculate on what P5R is, and at this point, anyone could guess after Joker's reveal it'd be a Switch release of P5, and a such, a complete edition because people who know Persona know that 3 and 4 received their "complete editions" after being ported to other consoles. Hopefully this isn't revisionism; I have bad memory. But I do recall people assuming this.
-Don't get me started on the separate team things regarding P5U again, lol

I feel it's a leap to say a ton of people know how his moves work considering nobody knew or leaked Joker until the 7th, which was 3 days before this leak was posted.

I truly hope this doesn't come across as hostile. I appreciate what you do, Polar. But none of this lines up to me. And perhaps I'm just shutting my ears and going "blahhh I can't hear you" (though for the record I'd like this leak since I love me some Jack Frost) but it just doesn't make sense, and I don't see how it's too likely at all.

Thank you for understanding, again apologies if I come off as rude.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Team Blue is likely still working on Cross Tag battle. They still haven't announced the 5th fate (Which is likely Senran Kagura). Either wway, I'm pretty sure that Cross tag Battle is their swansong for 2D games. I feel that Team blue will "graduate" to the same practice as Team Red

D

Deleted member

Hey Ayumi Tachibana, great finding regarding the poll. It makes a lot of sense now that Rex is the frontrunner.

About the ArcSystems thing, it makes sense P4U being reused as CTB seems to be a quick cash-in with only the RWBY cast being new characters. And considering P5 being a few years after P4 and its spinoffs (PQ2 being the exception apparently), a potential P5 Arena would need to have a bunch of new models for P5 cast and the grown up P4 cast (I would imagine P3 cast being changed as well but not too sure).
I find it funny how all of the Square Seven are in except for Crono, that’s just a lack of good taste
I think its more visibility in the poll than anything. Poll was about 40,000 votes and the first place had around 70, there shpuld be a lot of characters with less than 10 votes.
I would mostly disregard this because of influence regarding the leaks. Simon massively jumped up in the fan polls when Verge mentioned him. I think it's just the nature of things.
According to Sakurai himself, CV was heavily requested during the ballot. I'll give you that fan polls are kind of a miss most of the time, especially the one from Reddit since that one is pretty crappy.

I don't see how "he said Slime and Jack Frost would be on screen, so it's fake" legitimately negates the many things pointing to this leak being real. That sounds like semantics. Many, MANY people would know how his moves would work and what would 'show up on screen'. [I am NOT leaking in this post, please nobody twist my words again
I think Verge has legit sources but he also has been given false info in the past, his record on DLC is a bit messy compared to base.

Still, I believe that a DQ rep is coming and its more likely Erdrick. The part Im actually skeptic is the moveset, as I remember an anonymous post from everybody's favourite place /v/. The post was from a supposed attendee that mentioned Erdrick being rumored to appear at the VGAs and his moveset involved invoking monsters including slime.

If it was a bait and switch with him being switched with Joker it would make the rumor true but unless revealed, Im keeping my hopes in place.

Prefer to say sorry for not believing rather than falling into stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think the last thing se want is to put the insiders under even more pressure than they're already in. I hope nobody goes overboard with this that would cost them their job.
It's fun to speculate, and try to zero-in on the answer. But i'll just take what we're given.

Granted, and hopefully understandably, I'm still skeptical. Like they said, not because I doubt insiders, but because we (ok, I) can't be sure if the leaked info isn't leakbait.

Although I do find 3 DQ characters, and Crono being on the same list suspicious...

Top Bottom