• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spamming good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Not this again. There's always a way around spamming. If your friend can't figure out how to get past it, keep punishing him. If you're playing to win, you shouldn't pull yourself down for using a perfectly legal and fair technique, just because your opponent hasn't learned how to beat it yet.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
QFT^, it's morally correct and it's a good tactic.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Actually its kinda backwards my friend spams personally i think its gay and only noobs spam cuz they have no real skills. I killed him on the final life because pulled out an arrow. Yet he insists spamming is good a *technique*

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
If you're still able to beat him, then what's the problem? Everyone is free to play the game with their own style. If spamming is the way he enjoys playing the game, why stop him?

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Its annoying factor that makes the game less interesting esp. since it was a pit and he curved when i jumped i just dont get how you see standing in one spot pressing one button a tactic

Ryazan

Smash Ace
Says the person who can't get around spammers. Seriously, it's a legitimate tactic. It's just pressuring with projectiles. There is nothing wrong with that at all. It's bad in some situations and good in others. If it works, do it and ignore your opponent's whining. If you whine about spammers, you don't deserve to say they have no skill, because if you have to whine about them, neither do you.

NxC

Smash Apprentice
There's a reason arrows can't kill well.

Palutena's Arrows are a great thing to fall back on in situations where it is unsafe to venture to where the opponent is, or you cannot get to them fast enough to perform a real attack. Pit was designed to be doing small kicks of damage until the opponent is weak enough to ring out, and the arrows are just part of this overall strategy.

However if someone's strategy revolves around only using Pit's B-moves, they will not KO anyone who knows how to play the game, and will be swiftly defeated. To complain about such tactics is naive- they're only as strong as your incompetence.

However, on the flip side, avoiding using the arrows simply to avoid being called a spammer is stupid. I've seen too many tournament levels where arrows aren't used more than one at a time, and I'm thoroughly disappointed. Like any move, it exists to be used, and is only truly effective in certain situations.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Its annoying factor that makes the game less interesting esp. since it was a pit and he curved when i jumped i just dont get how you see standing in one spot pressing one button a tactic
If it isn't fun, then why play with him? I think your energies would be better spent playing a different game with him (it it's that extreme), and/or play Brawl with someone else.

It isn't fair for him, to hear from you, that he shouldn't do something allowed with in the rules of the game. It's like telling a Soccer player to not kick the ball (hyperbole).

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
I'd say learn to powershield or/and wingdash (I think wingdash beats pits arrows I don't actually have a pit opponent) then you should be fine.

kupo15

Smash Hero
If you don't feel like reading, skip to the end. This is mainly directed at Sir Lucario for his benefit.

"
I do feel that being campy and spammy is kinda a noobish thing to do, but unfortunately it is something we have to deal with. But if one uses smart spamming in the middle of a match, it is exciting and fun. Take my Mario matches for example. It is challenging getting past those fireballs and fun at the same time.

I agree, spam and camp is really annoying and not fun. My friend spammed Marth's Sword dance like you wouldn't believe and I could get around it. So, I actually refused to play with him for a couple of days to calm down and find a way around it because If I didn't, I would have went crazy. I did find a way around it, punished him real bad, and he changed his play style.

Spamming isn't really my play style, but if they spam, I say to myself, "Well, two can play that game." Funny thing is it gets them angry :laugh: which is where I get my satisfaction.

Also, sometimes when I spam even for a little bit, I actually get punished for it. The reason is because they close the gap quick enough that I can't pull the arrow off in time. If you keep your distance, their spam and camp tactic will work.

What you need to do is chase them around, stay close, be very aggressive, and always be in their blind spot. If you find yourself far away, consider it an opportunity to practice your perfect shielding. If you see the start of my matches, my arrow spam does nothing because they walked and perfect shielded. There is one vid against snake where despite out ranging him, he got the first hit.

"
Summary
Spam and camp is not fun, sadly we have to deal with it. If he spams, spam back. Stay close so the spam doesn't work. Use reflectors. Make him not have fun with your spam and find a way to punish him really bad by playing smart. He will have no choice but to change his strategy. Save your aggravation and don't play him. Play smarter and NOT harder

(I think wingdash beats pits arrows I don't actually have a pit opponent) then you should be fine.
Yes they do

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
If it isn't fun, then why play with him? I think your energies would be better spent playing a different game with him (it it's that extreme), and/or play Brawl with someone else.

It isn't fair for him, to hear from you, that he shouldn't do something allowed with in the rules of the game. It's like telling a Soccer player to not kick the ball (hyperbole).
No Rhy your not even close, i didnt complain i called it gay because thats all he did. Its more like a goaly only using his head, thats all he did.

Says the person who can't get around spammers. Seriously, it's a legitimate tactic. It's just pressuring with projectiles. There is nothing wrong with that at all. It's bad in some situations and good in others. If it works, do it and ignore your opponent's whining. If you whine about spammers, you don't deserve to say they have no skill, because if you have to whine about them, neither do you.
First off ryazan dont ever disrespect my pit without playing it. I never said i couldnt get around it. I said it was irritating, spamming your talking about is okay start off 3 arrows run attack dodge grab throw 3 arrows back up 2 arrows shield grab down throw uair 2 arrows.

Im talking about start off 5 arrows roll 3 times 4 arrows air dodge roll twice 4 arrows over b stop roll roll 6 arrows constantly the whole game. how the hell is that a pressuring tactic? Btw im not whining this is a general discussion
There's a reason arrows can't kill well.

Palutena's Arrows are a great thing to fall back on in situations where it is unsafe to venture to where the opponent is, or you cannot get to them fast enough to perform a real attack. Pit was designed to be doing small kicks of damage until the opponent is weak enough to ring out, and the arrows are just part of this overall strategy.

However if someone's strategy revolves around only using Pit's B-moves, they will not KO anyone who knows how to play the game, and will be swiftly defeated. To complain about such tactics is naive- they're only as strong as your incompetence.

However, on the flip side, avoiding using the arrows simply to avoid being called a spammer is stupid. I've seen too many tournament levels where arrows aren't used more than one at a time, and I'm thoroughly disappointed. Like any move, it exists to be used, and is only truly effective in certain situations.
NC i know what you mean its something to help you but not if its only thing you do. Im not complaining and not saying he shouldnt use them its the sad truth if its the only thing you know

Ryazan

Smash Ace
Sir Lucario, when did I ever say I was talking about you? I was just saying that in general, people who complain about spammers complain because they don't have the skill to get around it. You seem to be trying to give me the impression that you're really good. If that's true, and if you find spammers so annoying, kick their *****, show them who's boss, and see if they ever mess with you again.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Sir Lucario, when did I ever say I was talking about you? I was just saying that in general, people who complain about spammers complain because they don't have the skill to get around it. You seem to be trying to give me the impression that you're really good. If that's true, and if you find spammers so annoying, kick their *****, show them who's boss, and see if they ever mess with you again.
Lmao im not trying to impress anyone in this quote below it followed my responses as if you were addressing me, if you werent i apologize.

kown

Smash Lord
spamming is good and works! i try to keep it down on friendlies tho since it tends to be more fun but if its tournament than y not!

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
Is spamming a legitimate tactic? Yes.
Is it morally right? Absolutely.

That is why we humans invented guns. So we could camp and spam kills all day long.
Now as time progressed we humans got pretty annoyed by campers/spammers so we invented Mirror shields and Angel rings... Oh Wait! That is only Pit, silly me.

Yes Spamming is okay, is it fun? OVER 9000% of the time NO. But learn from a camper, I find that when they are approached up close, their first instinct is usually the same instinct that a normal person has when getting comboed. Meaning watch there rolls and dodges, cause a normal person will usually fall into the same pattern. You can just study it more with a spammer cause their are more opportunities to see it.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Is spamming a legitimate tactic? Yes.
Is it morally right? Absolutely.

That is why we humans invented guns. So we could camp and spam kills all day long.
Now as time progressed we humans got pretty annoyed by campers/spammers so we invented Mirror shields and Angel rings... Oh Wait! That is only Pit, silly me.

Yes Spamming is okay, is it fun? OVER 9000% of the time NO. But learn from a camper, I find that when they are approached up close, their first instinct is usually the same instinct that a normal person has when getting comboed. Meaning watch there rolls and dodges, cause a normal person will usually fall into the same pattern. You can just study it more with a spammer cause their are more opportunities to see it.
First off how is spamming a tactis? How is being as gay as possible morally okay. And dude the invention of guns? Dude guns kill people!!!!!! You cant compare u shouldnt even have said that. Also you said when a spammer approaches?!?! Dude spamming im talking about dont move just shoot arrows where is the approach? Dude i wanna play you and show you what spamming is.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
You are funny, just ought to let you know, now to go through each thought and let you know what I think.
First off how is spamming a tactis?
It is in a game, therefore it is a tactic. If it wasn't in the game then we wouldn't be having this disscusion.
How is being as gay as possible morally okay.
Umm... is it destorying your life, or causeing you stress that affects real life performance, or worst case scenario killing someone. If you said yes to those, then I am 100% wrong. If not then it must be okay because you dont think anything bad will happen from it, besides the spammer getting killed.
And dude the invention of guns? Dude guns kill people!!!!!! You cant compare u shouldnt even have said that.
Actually I do believe I can, and I just did. But the point of that analogy is that it is a real life tactic. Do you go and run up to someone with a gun and try to hit them with a sword in real life, ummm if you do then I would go see a therapist or something. But Since you are sensible you don't, he thinks the same way. "I have a long ranged weapon at mydisposal, I think I should use it to keep my opponent away. That way he has a much harder time hitting me." That is why the gun analogy works.
Also you said when a spammer approaches?!?!
NEVER SAID ANYTHING OF THE SORT. READ MOAR. In you anger you skipped over the part where I said "I find that WHEN THEY ARE APPROACHED up close."

My original post was trying to lighten the mood, but since you seem so set in your ways I had to go and do this. If you still feel I am in the wrong then sucks for you, because I am sure many others see my points and now possibly realize a new way to think of it. That is most of what I have to say to you good Sir. Good day and happy flaming.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
Oooooppppssss, my bad.

I meant Good day and Happy getting mad at other ppl.

Lol JK, I don't really mean that but Plz dont get mad at ppl that are trying to help, if you didn't want help then dont ask

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I aint the type that spams in battle, but as having much experience against various spammers (like projectile spammers)
It may seem like pressure, but it seems cowardly as well. Spamming to me is a "Cheap" way to give pressure to the enemy, and since it's the same move being used, like Pit's arrows in the hands of a spammer, well... Countering various spams takes patience or a certain char to do, like stopping projectile spammers with Pit's Reflectors.
Though I have lost to few spammers, it still makes me mad that I lose to such weak non-skilled tactics. Then again they dont get good by spamming anyways.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I feel bad for those who are helpless without anything like Ganon. Poor guy can't compete with a good spammer.

kown

Smash Lord
i feel as if ive stated my opinion on this topic numerous times. Sir Lucario heres another tip that i ll give you. this is prolly extreme but ive said it b4: if spamming will win you games and you dont spam than you really dont wanna win. take it how you want but i believe thats essentially right.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
No Rhy your not even close, i didnt complain i called it gay because thats all he did. Its more like a goaly only using his head, thats all he did.
Definition from dictionary.com
Complaint
1. an expression of discontent, regret, pain, censure, resentment, or grief; lament; faultfinding: his complaint about poor schools.

By calling it gay, you are finding fault in it, therefore you are complaining. Unless gay isn't a bad term to you, in which case you're praising it, and there shouldn't be a problem.

If he choses to use only his head when blocking the goal, he has every right within the game to do so. You can tell him it's a bad tactic, but if he continues to do it anyway, let him. If it's upsetting to you to face him when he does that, you don't have to play the game with him.

You're funny, Rhyfelwyr. :chuckle:
It's true though. The very purpose of a game is to have fun. If the game allows someone to do something they think is fun, why stop them? Now if they are doing something that does affect the fun for others, it's not their fault they can do it, it's the games fault for not including better rules or boundaries. I.E. a MMORPG not including a mute option for spammers is the games fault.

EDIT: My last point. In a game world there is no right or wrong. There is only what you can or can't do, and effective or ineffective. A game is a world created with restrictions, where players compete towards an objective. That is the definition of a game.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Sir Lucario: Stop being a scrub. If this guy's spamming is truly as one-dimensional as you say, then it can't be that hard to beat the living crap out of him. Personally, I doubt he'd continue doing it if he didn't have some amount of success with it, so either he's got a more refined strategy than you describe, or you're just not any good at the game.

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
In my opinion I dislike spamming, because I know other people hate it when there getting spammed to a critical damage and the the spammer does a smash attack on them and you die. So I try to not spam to make the game fair.

But spamming is a good tactic when it comes to winning an unfair game.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
Sir Lucario, if I fire a machine gun, am I gay because I'm spamming? Exactly.

And I only said "you" in that quote because I didn't want to change the "you"s to "one"s and sound like a total smart-***.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
In my opinion I dislike spamming, because I know other people hate it when there getting spammed to a critical damage and the the spammer does a smash attack on them and you die. So I try to not spam to make the game fair.

But spamming is a good tactic when it comes to winning an unfair game.
How is it unfair? Both players can do it, and it isn't a dominating strategy.

kown

Smash Lord
Sir Lucario, if I fire a machine gun, am I gay because I'm spamming? Exactly.

And I only said "you" in that quote because I didn't want to change the "you"s to "one"s and sound like a total smart-***.
lmao i love the analogy

This thread makes me sad.
yea i feel the same way

Sir Lucario: Stop being a scrub. If this guy's spamming is truly as one-dimensional as you say, then it can't be that hard to beat the living crap out of him. Personally, I doubt he'd continue doing it if he didn't have some amount of success with it, so either he's got a more refined strategy than you describe, or you're just not any good at the game.
greatest point in this thread. maybe a little mean tho.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
greatest point in this thread. maybe a little mean tho.
Not mean. Honest. I don't have anything against the guy personally. I just think that generally the only way to overcome scrubbiness is the hard way-- john until people start to hate you for it, and eventually you realize you're never going to get anywhere in the community by complaining about what everyone else does instead of working to overcome your own faults. It's how I did it, how everyone I know has done it, and honestly, I think this process is really healthy for anybody looking to become involved in competitive play.

I kill with arrows all the time. ^_^

Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL-sV4LGfqo
I don't have a video but I've killed MK's off the top a couple times. It always gets that same reaction, though-- "YOU KILLED ME WITH ARROWS!" :laugh:

kown

Smash Lord
Not mean. Honest. I don't have anything against the guy personally. I just think that generally the only way to overcome scrubbiness is the hard way-- john until people start to hate you for it, and eventually you realize you're never going to get anywhere in the community by complaining about what everyone else does instead of working to overcome your own faults. It's how I did it, how everyone I know has done it, and honestly, I think this process is really healthy for anybody looking to become involved in competitive play.
second greatest point in this thread.

I never see you in the pit forums up until now. post more in other threads!

Doctor X

Smash Lord
second greatest point in this thread.

I never see you in the pit forums up until now. post more in other threads!
Thanks, but I don't generally have a lot to contribute since I lack videos and most of what I would describe as my Pit "style" is covered by other people already. :p

kown

Smash Lord
Thanks, but I don't generally have a lot to contribute since I lack videos and most of what I would describe as my Pit "style" is covered by other people already. :p
so? you should still post at least get to know other pit players. btw i dont have any vids and no style is technically the same. anyways you should post in my thread or anywhere else since it seems as if you could bring some useful information.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
so? you should still post at least get to know other pit players. btw i dont have any vids and no style is technically the same. anyways you should post in my thread or anywhere else since it seems as if you could bring some useful information.
Right. I'll see what I can do. :laugh:

Ryazan

Smash Ace
Doctor X, just making a point here but you killed him by edgehogging. I figured it was safe to point out since we're off-topic anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom