• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
omg. everyone please do me a huge personal favor and check this out:
http://pitchfork.tv/

my brother's small production company made a film that I've mentioned briefly before and it's about chiptunes [using video game hardware to make music]...Pitchfork created a new feature Pitchfork TV and this week [and only this week] my brother's movie is the featured film!!!!!!!

click low/high broadband speed on the top left of the video viewer...also, chapter list is in a scroll menu on the right =D

Please tell your friends and anyone you remotely know who may like interesting films or music or techno or whatever! gamers will love it regardless ^_^

Thank you thank you thank you in advance!!!!!

Malco!!!

Smash Apprentice
Otis: I'm coming to your fest, and I'm bringing Melee

also, I'll be free tomorrow and Sunday for those not going to Jubilee. Mashi? Ndn? Malco?

just hit me up with a text, voicemail, whatever sometime after noon.
Batman and I are considering going Id say only 40 percent sure tho.
Ill need your number but Im down!

yea malco good idea just invite mshi over acutally invite everyone on the boards you know to have big blast at my place while i am gone

....laugh j/k

hey mashi i got a new phone, and i need that number of yours
I really thought you were being serious for a second hahaha

Batmansince1939

Smash Journeyman
Did you check out their massive statewide FL thread? They've got every other state pretty much beat as far as friend finding goes with regional listings, maps divided by locale listings, tourney/event archives, history volumes, etc. They even list all of their upcoming events for the entire state in a one-post, organizd format. You dont even have to post or even scroll down beyond the first page to find out about whats going down there.

It's really cool...
Thanks I will check it out, laugh feel kinda stupid that i didn't think of that myself...

Malco:
I would say higher then 40% probally around 56%, I mean I got to get home and see my how my car is doing havn't been around to baby it for a week, so who knows how it is acting atm

-cough-but your car...-cough-

but if my car is straight and work is good then I should be straight

rhan

Smash Hero
...Man...I really want to go to Jubilee.

Hey D0N, your going right? I hate to ask so late but...you willing to pick up a couple of kids along the way??? I'm willing to put in 20$ for gas if I get picked up. And also I'll kiss your feet and worship the ground you walk on. :D

Forget it. There is an 100% chance that I can't leave the house now.

To all that are going to NC. Good luck. Show them What SoVA has to offer! Rep yo community!

toasty

Smash Hero
RHAN. Call David (Black G)
757 651 8554

Is there any way you can get dropped off in Norfolk(ODU), Hampton, Newport News, or ANYTHING that's RIGHT along 64 (before 295 or whatever) by Saturday morning (10:30ish if anywhere near Newport News)???

If you can get dropped off in any of those places [like, take whatever exit off of 64 and park at the first parking lot you can park at and then call us], then we can pick you up and you'll be at Jubileeee =D!!!!!!!!!

I hope you can make it, buddy

rhan

Smash Hero
toasty said:
Is there any way you can get dropped off in Norfolk(ODU), Hampton, Newport News, or ANYTHING that's RIGHT along 64 (before 295 or whatever) by Saturday morning (10:30ish if anywhere near Newport News)???

If you can get dropped off in any of those places [like, take whatever exit off of 64 and park at the first parking lot you can park at and then call us], then we can pick you up and you'll be at Jubileeee =D!!!!!!!!!

I hope you can make it, buddy
I could be dropped off in Newport News. Maybe Hampton. You sure you could pick me up? I planned on bringing my TV and such so I could avoid the venue fee. All I need to know is where ya'll want to meet me and time. I got money to pay for gas to who ever picks me up.

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
from o-no: anyone is welcome to come anytime after 6. bring wii's cause only got one wii. thanks. =]

toasty

Smash Hero
yes. we will most definitely be taking Brawl.

Main people to look out for, from what I've seen/heard:

Chillin's Falco, and...well...just Chillin.
Chudat's Kirby
Dr. Peepee's Marth

Whodat and Rhan, you guys should talk.

Rhan: see if you can just go to Whodat's tomorrow morning. We should be there hopefully between 10:30 and 10:45. Call Black G and tell him you plan to be at Whodat's but then ask him about how much room he has in his car for another TV. I don't know if I'll have room in my trunk, but there's a decent chance I will. Your TV didn't seem terribly massive so I don't forsee any problems [and no one else has mentioned whether they are bringing TVs or not sooo..you get priority if need be haha]

Hampton: We should be at your place by 10:20 - 10:30.

Don't forget that we're staying 2 days, 2 nights, and then leaving monday morning at 11 from NC.
So that means clothes/a blanket/pillow...and No Johns about cell phone chargers etc, REMEMBER THAT ****.

most importantly: we should leave all of our valuables in our cars and not in Karn's house to avoid potential for theft. It's impossible to know exactly who will be there and CStick got his iPod stolen from INSIDE MY SUITCASE last year.

rhan

Smash Hero
toasty said:
Whodat and Rhan, you guys should talk.

Rhan: see if you can just go to Whodat's tomorrow morning. We should be there hopefully between 10:30 and 10:45. Call Black G and tell him you plan to be at Whodat's but then ask him about how much room he has in his car for another TV. I don't know if I'll have room in my trunk, but there's a decent chance I will. Your TV didn't seem terribly massive so I don't forsee any problems [and no one else has mentioned whether they are bringing TVs or not sooo..you get priority if need be haha]
Alright. I left a message on Black G's voicemail. Now...I have no way to contact Whodat and he's offline now...

EDIT: Just got done talking to Whodat and everything is cool. I can't wait to see ya'll tomorrow.

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
by "just chillin" toasty means his top tier trash talk. dont let it get to you guys

"YO SOMEONE CALL THE WAITRESS CZ YOU JUST GOT TIPPED"

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
If any of you want, I can host tomorrow, but I will need a Wii and copy of Smash for Brawl, or a GC and copy of Smash for Melee. I can host from 9am-4pm. If any of you guys are interested, txt my phone tonight or tomorrow early day (757-803-5216)

Edit: Address is 5596 Anthony Road, Virginia Beach

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
very last minute!!! who wants to go to jubilee? $15 per person for gas. you have 3 hours to respond. k thanks. =] see everyone who is already there tomorrow!!!

oh yeah and $10 for whoever is on the way or nearby lol k thanks bye. =]

CStick

Smash Lord
dude...Mashi, i wish I got your message sooner. I was actually kinda thinking about driving out if i wasnt too tired :( You driving woulda gave me nap time before the smashing.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
I'll try to make it to otis' place this friday
also, im proud of rhan.
his first squander to another state.
*cries*

O-NO. The new thread name made me......
roflolmaoflolmaoflolmaoflolmaoflolmaoflolmao!!

toasty

Smash Hero
I'll almost definitely be there friday :)

NC was...well..it was a great weekend. BUT. It wasn't Jubilee :( :( :(

I can't begin to describe how sad I am about the magic that was last year's Jubilee being missing from this event.

Long story short:
Jubilee '07 :
70-80+ people in Karn's dad's siiiick house.
Probably more since 70+ played singles, and lots of people there didn't enter.

Jubilee'08:
20-30 people chillin at the same place for Melee.
17 entered singles.
40-50 people went for Brawl on Sunday at an actual venue
17 teams, 40ish for singles?

far too many people who said they would come had **** come up at the last minute:(

but for real, this weekend was still amazing.

Kit Cloud Kickers got 3rd in teams =D
Black G also got 7th in singles, I believe :) [didn't use much tornado, either haha]

and BOOOOSEEEEEEE: hmmmm...I MAY be able to give you a ride to Otis's...not sure. I'll talk to you when you get in town though

CStick

Smash Lord
I got work Friday, but I may just straight up heado ver to otis' around...like...11pm right after work and catch whoever is left

and thats kinda gay how melee ended up. Brawl truly did in fact kill melee, no matter how much we don't want to admit it. :( But also, I think the Spring semester ending and people having to work also killed Melee. maybe it'll pick up in a couple weeks when college kicks in *crosses fingers*

toasty

Smash Hero
CStick brought up a great point I never thought about Re: work/end of school...

Also, don't remember if I posted this here but:

I'm trying to put together a Pound-like tournament next summer at ODU. It'll be much cheaper than Pound. If I play my cards right, there will be no venue fee [or like...$5 a head. Depends on food/etc situation]

It'll be in Webb Center, in the dining hall [like, where allll the tables are next to Chic-Fil-A]. Projectors for finals, all of that mess.

I'm working on having this be a multi-day event. I'm working on having Melee as well as Brawl [doubtful, just for time constraints sake] I'm working on having people housed for free at the venue.

Within the month I will have a lot of details hashed out, including an estimated, if not final, date.

Right now I don't even know what month it would be.

I want this to be an East Coast Regional Circuit event.

I want all of SoVa to man the **** up and help me realize this dream tourney ^_^

Also:

Why have you not seen Tropic Thunder yet? No, really. Go ****ing watch it, right now.

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
oh man why is toasty so goddamm awesome. brown power ftw

i agree with tropic thunder. i was one of the really cool kids who saw the midnight release of it and ive been wanting to go watch it again

cradle the balls, stroke the shaft, work the pipe, and swallow the gravy

D0N

Smash Ace
Slim chance ill show friday. VA beach oddly enough is still about the same distance it was before and im not gonna find any competition at my school. I dont want to go back to no competition. What time is it?

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
If any of you want, I can host tomorrow, but I will need a Wii and copy of Smash for Brawl, or a GC and copy of Smash for Melee. I can host from 9am-4pm. If any of you guys are interested, txt my phone tonight or tomorrow early day (757-803-5216)

Edit: Address is 5596 Anthony Road, Virginia Beach
Way to be able to host during peak work hours haha fail

toasty

Smash Hero
Unless I get a crapload of money on the 30th (*crosses fingers*) then I'm probably not traveling again until C3 in November. If I DO get that money, then I'll find something to go to sooner than November [but probably not Critical Hit 4...too ****ing expensive at the moment]

About the GnT teams tourney, dang..I thought about it some more and realized that while more people will enter teams, you already get little money for placing in teams...and now it's going to be even less? I mean that's fine and all...but my only gripe is that I have the best chance of making money in teams rofl =] (<3 mashi) Even at Jubilee, there were 17 teams, Black G and I got 3rd, and we each got 17 bucks back since it was $10 entry...but yeah, not a legitimate complaint since we still got money and still got our money back. I'm just being greeedyyyy ^_^

of course. with the lower entry fee, there will be more people showing up. I motion that if we want to do these GnT tourneys more often, we either keep it the way it is and have the same 18-25 regulars show up and pay 10 for singles and 5 for doubles, or we bring it down [every now and then?] to 5 for each tourney in hopes of getting more locals to come out. That way more people will be inspired to try and get better and they'll have more fun.

I heard a LOT of this at the last Hi Score tourney:
"So if I basically just wasted 20 bucks and only did singles?" Yeah of course they were tourney noobs, but that means that 1/3 of them will probably ever return. People could say "No Johns. They need to try harder, and besides this will weed out the less competitive individuals." Wrong. I doubt anyone in SoVa feels this way because we're all chill as ****. But the point is that offering cheap and frequent tournaments will create a vibrant scene...

OOH!!! I have an idea! Okay..2 ideas. **** wait...3?

The SoVa Brawl scene has been pretty good so far. Fairly consistent. But the people in it all seem to have a good deal of real-life obligations that tend to limit a full showing of SoVa's 30-35(+?) would-be competitors.

1st idea:
We have SoVa triweeklies. These can be at GnT or elsewhere if necessary.
Venue-5, Teams-5, Singles-5

BUT WAIT: Every other tri-weekly: Venue-5, Teams-10, Singles-10
We could do this unless the 5-for-all tourneys start generating a consistently large turnout [30-40 people]. This idea shouldn't go into effect until 3 months or so of trying the 5-for-all.

2nd idea:
We have SoVa monthlies.
Venue-5, Teams-10, Singles-10

3rd idea....no...REVELATION!!!!!!
Screw whatever idea I may have had...I'm an idiot. The revelation was: I can probably book a decent size room at ODU's Webb Center for FREE for these triweekly events!!!! Once the semester starts up (next week) I'll see if I can find some time to go to the student organization center to see what's available to me in the way of space/tables/chairs/TVs. I'll also talk to Eli to see if the ODU Anime Club wants to put their name on this [since it'll be easier to guarantee usage of Webb Center through an organization. ALSO this could lead more free **** as the school gives the clubs money for holding events for non-ODU students]

There's just one problem. I will need dedicated individuals to help me. I can't do all of this on my own and a lot of people are great at helping me whenever I need it. But I don't mean I need help running them when they happen. I mean I need help with ORGANIZING AND RUNNING them when I'm not able to. I could probably make something solid to go by if the Anime Club thing works out and that'll end up making things mad convenient. No need to post up about helping me just yet. I know SoVa's good for it ^_^

I really hope the scene here explodes with the coming semester. New and returning kids from CNU and ODU will be a fantastic addition, I project.

Top Bottom