• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

whodat

Smash Apprentice
Just stick to smash you all. Playing the big boy games will only get your feelings hurt.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
The tier list in Guilty Gear is too strong

Best: Testament, Eddie, Baiken....
Worst: Anki, Bridget, and I-no

Thats pretty much all u need to know. To do good

D0N

Smash Ace
Just stick to smash you all. Playing the big boy games will only get your feelings hurt.
Im pretty sure I played you in GG with potemkin (spelling?) against your testament and won, but we both sucked at the time anyway so ill give you that john ;).

Only when you beat me senseless in SF4 will I agree to such nonsense. Its a game I have unlike TvC. Either that or blazblue if I get it. Im not really a fan of 3d games though, so if things like Tekken and Soul Calibur are big boy games ill stay a kid for life.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
would've been nice if people posted about that, Rhan...

but whatever. what's done is done, on to the next one! I wasn't expecting a crazy amount of anything with this as it wasn't Riku's or Slash's responsibility to handle this event until Kadaj and I were both unable to run this...so thanks guys for doing what you could and I'm glad at least some form of a tourney happened :)

I agree about venue fee...I just wish people could be more vocal from the get-go :(
I agree :D

slash i did try to call u after you left. it was around 3:30 when i tried to call you. 5 people showed up, and they jus played friendlies til about 8 when i left the venue.
Oh? I must've not had service?
Did you leave a message, I was waiting for it to invite others

D0N

Smash Ace
big boy games LOL anyone who isnt a top player in smash cant play the big boy games xD
Silly boy, real men have no time to master such childish games. We just like to see what the kids are up to every now and then.
jk jk

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Nice I could try to Order-Sol his Potemkin. Order has a nasty infinite on him if i land it right it should be a 278 Beat, but he will burst out of it. I Hope its GG2XAC+. Also Tekken Dr is a game i love to play Lili all day, get juggled. Oh i main Ky in GG.

dobee

Smash Apprentice
wut r u talking about he beat tyrant not m2k. cuz m2k 3-0'd sk92 in grand finals
no im talking about m2k. They played in tourney and he took a game off m2k. it was 2-1. Then he beat him in a friendly. And I know, I watched the livestream lol

and just for the record, I woulda paid the $10 venue. . . cuz im cakin like that lol.

And I think Ima go to genesis. . . as the only sova rep lol

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
lol slash i still got that $300 gameon party thing i won remember? haha. they said it never expires. haha. unless someone wants to buy it from me for like $100. =]

rhan

Smash Hero
You know what's funny about this statement. I have more fun playing Halo than I do Melee. Now since Halo is played at MLG doesn't that make it a "Big Boy" game? I'm pretty sure I could take anyone here in Halo by the way.

Shooter's > Fighter's

Patriotic Zero (PTZR) said:
Nice I could try to Order-Sol his Potemkin. Order has a nasty infinite on him if i land it right it should be a 278 Beat, but he will burst out of it. I Hope its GG2XAC+. Also Tekken Dr is a game i love to play Lili all day, get juggled. Oh i main Ky in GG.
Good games last Saturday. You have improved a lot in Street Fighter since I played you at Vernon's. We need to play some more. Tekken I suck balls at though. You can have that game lol. And Melee..... Get rocket-ed!

D0N

Smash Ace
Shooter's < Fighter's

Its just like that scene on Friday. "You think your a man with that gun in your hand don't you?" If you havent seen friday by now then I win by default.

rhan

Smash Hero
"I'm a man without it."

But if everyone had that mentality then America would have lost all it's wars.

Reason why I say Shooter's are better is because there is just so much more freedom. Only thing that will restrict you is your imagination (And possibly Fustration). I'm not saying Fighter's are bad. But the way I see it, it's either block/get grabbed on the defensive and attack/grab on the offensive.

I rather just have a nice scope and a steady trigger finger. Being more relaxed while still being extreamly active.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
You know what's funny about this statement. I have more fun playing Halo than I do Melee. Now since Halo is played at MLG doesn't that make it a "Big Boy" game? I'm pretty sure I could take anyone here in Halo by the way.

Shooter's > Fighter's
You probably have more fun in halo because you are better in halo than melee. fighters are typically based off of a attack/sheild/grab system, but more intricate fighters, like melee, involve many more variables in executing the necessities for gaining the upper hand in a match; more than just guessing in a rock/paper/scissors system to which you degrade fighters.

All shooters are the same. Sure they have many different nuiances, but they are "find a shot, aim, take the shot." (this is what your argument against fighters sounds like; im just saying...)

Reason why I say Shooter's are better is because there is just so much more freedom.

I rather just have a nice scope and a steady trigger finger. Being more relaxed while still being extreamly active.
With this assumption, couldnt I claim that DBZ Tenkaichi > All other fighters because you have more "freedom"? How do you define freedom? A larger map?

Also, how are you relaxed if you are extremely active? I think what you are trying to say is that your hands are less frantic, which is fine if you prefer to avoid technical errors in competitive gaming. However, imho, i feel that the complexity of any good fighter adds to the quality of the games rather than detracts simply because its not easy and requires practice and virtuosity on a technical and mental level. Not only must you know what you are doing, but you must also do it right.

Lastly, melee, was on mlg, if you didnt know, but brawl came out and melee was "outdated." Nevertheless, do you know who owns smashboards?

"I'm a man without it."

But if everyone had that mentality then America would have lost all it's wars.
EDIT: sorry, but this is just too fun.

Im pretty sure america's point in entering wars was never to be the bigger man.
In fact, I would say that the USSR essentially lost the Cold War for having that mentality. But, I guess you could say that America came out on top because we had bigger guns...

idk,...

D0N

Smash Ace
Dobee wins.

To each his own, but both fighters and shooters allow creativity. If I wanted to make shooters seem simple I could say its either use a long range weapon and hide or close range weapon and be aggressive. Thats kinda how general you described fighters just now. There are more things like zoning and spacing.

EDIT: Nice points Crystalnite, you even beat me to my only point lol.

rhan

Smash Hero
You probably have more fun in halo because you are better in halo than melee. fighters are typically based off of a attack/sheild/grab system, but more intricate fighters, like melee, involve many more variables in executing the necessities for gaining the upper hand in a match; more than just guessing in a rock/paper/scissors system to which you degrade fighters.
Most fighting games involve the same things. If you play the higheest tier your chances are greater than the average joe. In a shooter you HAVE to become familiar to where and when to fire. It's arguable that a sniper is one of the best things that you could be but you have to have a steady hand and patience.

All shooters are the same. Sure they have many different nuiances, but they are "find a shot, aim, take the shot." (this is what your argument against fighters sounds like; im just saying...)
Just to say ahead of time. I didn't feel like going into depth about why I think so I keep it short. Yeah fighters extend to other things than just the 3 things I stated before. I apologize for being busy.

With this assumption, couldnt I claim that DBZ Tenkaichi > All other fighters because you have more "freedom"? How do you define freedom? A larger map?
Freedom can be many things. Not jjust a bigger map. But more in the sense that there is so much more you can possibly do in a shooter like Halo that requires some imagination/brains. Like you can use nades in Halo to reach heights unreachable by jump. Gravity Hammer works the same way. Bouncing a mine off a aircraft to blow up a Warthog. Random creativity. Shooters allow the player to be more tactical/creative in thier play.

Also, how are you relaxed if you are extremely active? I think what you are trying to say is that your hands are less frantic, which is fine if you prefer to avoid technical errors in competitive gaming. However, imho, i feel that the complexity of any good fighter adds to the quality of the games rather than detracts simply because its not easy and requires practice and virtuosity on a technical and mental level. Not only must you know what you are doing, but you must also do it right.
I'm more layed back so I guess that kind of play style suits me more. Got me here. But there is highly tactical CQC in any Shooter. CoD you have a knife and what ever class you choose. Usually people play to their class but when on the field you have to be crazy active and always checking the surroundings. If someone gets in your face it's mainly about what weapons you have at the time.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
toasty, that was the funniest thing i've watched in a while..My favorite part by far was the "there's no more dthrow to reflector in brawl, so fox is weak" comment

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Most fighting games involve the same things. If you play the higheest tier your chances are greater than the average joe. In a shooter you HAVE to become familiar to where and when to fire. It's arguable that a sniper is one of the best things that you could be but you have to have a steady hand and patience.

Just to say ahead of time. I didn't feel like going into depth about why I think so I keep it short. Yeah fighters extend to other things than just the 3 things I stated before. I apologize for being busy.

Freedom can be many things. Not jjust a bigger map. But more in the sense that there is so much more you can possibly do in a shooter like Halo that requires some imagination/brains. Like you can use nades in Halo to reach heights unreachable by jump. Gravity Hammer works the same way. Bouncing a mine off a aircraft to blow up a Warthog. Random creativity. Shooters allow the player to be more tactical/creative in thier play.

I'm more layed back so I guess that kind of play style suits me more. Got me here. But there is highly tactical CQC in any Shooter. CoD you have a knife and what ever class you choose. Usually people play to their class but when on the field you have to be crazy active and always checking the surroundings. If someone gets in your face it's mainly about what weapons you have at the time.
I see exactly where youi are coming from, which is why I now believe that shooters=fighters.

Whereas the freedom you describe in halo is very complex, I think there are factors in fighters (good ones that is) that can be used to the extent of one's imagination and knowledge of the game. I still believe that tactics and creativity can be used to the same extent as in shooters in fighters. Only, fighters probably revolve more around reading your opponent (in the area of creativity). I realize you must read your opponent in shooters too, but I'm saying that both fields of gaming have exactly what you're describing.

As for tiers, that's the nature of having such a wide variety of characters. Developers try their best to balance characters, but gamers simply play the games more than the developers and find more stuff out about the game. This same thing can be found in shooters too (though in shooters it's not usually as gamebreaking) i.e. halo one's pistol (my one true love).
EDIT: this is why you should veer from using bottom tier characters/// unless you're taj or gimpy but still don't mind giving money away at tournament

in case you haven't LOLed @ this already:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHqVur23EyA
I'm listening to this **** right now.

Seriously, can't swf do something about this?

Is the 1st amendment really something we have to respect on the internet?

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
i was having a good day

...until i watched that idiot =.=

this video explains why hatred exists in the world
WELCOME TO THE RETRO ROOM! That's actually something I used to say about that place..."I didn't know hatred until I came to that place"...I was a completely docile creature before the ODU Retro Room b;tcha.sses ruined my patience

at least I did what I could in my comments :(

rhan

Smash Hero
Summer break has offcially started for me. Who wants to drive to Gloucester and play? :)

And I feel the same way Theo.

rhan

Smash Hero
It's about 45 - 60 min. to get from here to Newport News. It took about the same amount of time to get back home when I left Monday. I'll PM you my address so you can approx. the time from that.

Halo you're better off playing with Shaden and Travon though. My router don't work so no online play and the only way we actually play if we go over our neighbor's house and play him and his step dad. But they've been avoiding Halo recently after Robert perfected both of them 1v1.....

Edit: There is a 2 dollar toll to get here by the way.... I'll pay that to whoever drives to play me. :3

Top Bottom