• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
I like Kadaj's challenge.

By the way!

Juan/La lluvia de Colombia/Kuku says CNU stopped playing Brawl because they couldn't **** scrubs...nor did they ever get outright destroyed. [consider how long ago they stopped playing Brawl]...Juan went on to say that he'd be more inclined to play if people got so good now that he'd get *****.

I'm all about making this happen =D

toasty

Smash Hero
there was also a period of way too many tourneys which was fine for me but not for budding smash kids, you know? spots for fests died out and there was no regular meeting place anymore like Slash's apt. or GnT at ODU :(

way too many other factors to list now, but wow does this scene blow now.

The last SoVa tourney saw 23 entrants in singles.

Nine of those 23 were from MD/VA.

NINE.

SpeedYoshi

Smash Journeyman
brawl has no momentum switch, and very little momentum that can be switched at all
if you get that stock then that gap is extremely likely to stay
are there any top end matches where someone goes from down 3 stock to 1 and them comes back to win?
or anything nearly like that

toasty

Smash Hero
Spod, it's entirely possible and it's happened to me in friendlies/tourney a LOT actually [going both ways, no homo].

I don't have anything off the top of my head to refer you to other than my personal testimony.

Also, Azen's notorious for it XD

Gimps are still possible in a lot of matchups and they can easily change the momentum of a match. So can fixing problems that have cost you a stock and too much damage...

If the amazing matches I witnessed/played in tourney and friendlies at C3 are any indication, and I'm fairly certain they're a d.amn good one, then this game is evolving a LOT and the creativity I've seen and new reliance on actual technical ability is beyond assuring.

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
brawl has no momentum switch, and very little momentum that can be switched at all
if you get that stock then that gap is extremely likely to stay
are there any top end matches where someone goes from down 3 stock to 1 and them comes back to win?
or anything nearly like that
mashimallows team match son!!!

D0N

Smash Ace
I like Kadaj's challenge.

By the way!

Juan/La lluvia de Colombia/Kuku says CNU stopped playing Brawl because they couldn't **** scrubs...nor did they ever get outright destroyed. [consider how long ago they stopped playing Brawl]...Juan went on to say that he'd be more inclined to play if people got so good now that he'd get *****.

I'm all about making this happen =D
They coudnt **** scrubs? this makes no sense to me. How can they tell who scrubs were when it was a new game? What made them pro? That just sounds like they were cocky and didnt take losing well to me. If they woulda just said they didnt like the game that woulda been fine, but this?

But anyway, im sure some who stuck with it can make whatever need to happen happen.

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo CA! (for lowlifes that dont know) Teh Bea
I on the other hand, just dont like how campy the game is. i mean, when you go from Fox/Sheik/Falco to D3/snake/Zelda....it gets boring reallllly fast.

i however still have not givin up on Brawl. Diddy/Meta/kirby are all really fun (tho i still havent really played diddy) and can be played offensively if done right.

If i can put up with how broken MVC2 is and still have fun playing it, i think i can put up with brawls shinanigans.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Spod, it's entirely possible and it's happened to me in friendlies/tourney a LOT actually [going both ways, no homo].

I don't have anything off the top of my head to refer you to other than my personal testimony.

Also, Azen's notorious for it XD

Gimps are still possible in a lot of matchups and they can easily change the momentum of a match. So can fixing problems that have cost you a stock and too much damage...

If the amazing matches I witnessed/played in tourney and friendlies at C3 are any indication, and I'm fairly certain they're a d.amn good one, then this game is evolving a LOT and the creativity I've seen and new reliance on actual technical ability is beyond assuring.
but WHY?

why depend on the evolution of a game into what was formerly THE smash? why draw together characteristics of melee and brawl? ok brawl's evolving into something that resembles melee...u know what resembles malee a whole lot MORE?

MELEE!

MELEE IS JUST LIKE MELEE! SO WTF, MKAY?

EDIT: CNU, im coming, and I plan on ranking high in whatever the heck u plan to host.

Moreover, @ o-no's post directly above mine, I agree about MvC2's brokenness

have u read sirlin's discussion about mvc2? it basically said (while discussing character balancing) that capcom tends to make its characters so broken that they tend to balance eachother out (somewhat). I think, by sheer luck, MvC2 turened out to be so huge because by some miracle there ended up being so many different varieties of play at top levels that it became a viable competitive game. The brokenness comes with the package; tech skill s necessary to exploit (most) of the brokenness. Watching Sanford Kelly v JWong is seriouly , ridiculously amazing because they do amazing **** that takes hours upon hours to practice and master in technical ability and practical application.

on the other hand, watching m2k, while he is very good at outwitting his opponents, is hardly what I would call impressive or entertaining; though we who do not put much time into Brawl do not appreciate much of the skill that players at the top of the brawl community [claim to] need, I am not "awe stricken" at the talent of azen's lucario, m2k's mk, or any other top players (diddy included). Im sure its a fun game, but I dont have fun playing it and I dont have fun watching it, so what else is there?

If I were in ur shoes, o-no, i would spend time that could be wasted on brawl on time to improve in mvc2 or 3s; im not saying that i would "give up" on brawl, but come on, what else is there to do?

D0N

Smash Ace
Toasty: lol, I want to go to both of those. wish i could say i was going already but im not sure. if you go to the feb. 2 day tourney thing can i ride with you?

toasty

Smash Hero
if I go [and I don't think it's the 2nd, but like the 7/8th? yeah, that's when] then yeah definitely you can ride with me

editz: as soon as you find out about the 13th and 20th, lemme know. I'll reserve a spot for you. Kadaj's already got one and Famous is a maybe [right?]

I'll check back through this thread to see if someone else expressed interest. No promises though to those I haven't made any to :)

Gas per person to MD: $15
Gas per person to NoVa: $10

D0N

Smash Ace
The 2 was for 2 day tourney not the date, but my post is really confusing now that I looked at it again:laugh:.

Ill find out about the 13th and 20th this weekend and let you know. Or better yet, ill find out on the 8th. Thats my birthday so maybe ill get some $$$.

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
@ crystalnite: Capcom lucks out a lot when it comes to fighting games. but honestly, if i WANTED to get good at MVC2, all id need to do is take it seriously. im just to lazy for MVC2. BRAWL, on the other hand is not going to take me any kinda of long to get good at. all i need to do is play matches w/ people. MVC2, id have to study and ****. i dont have time for all that. its to late for me to even care about getting into MVC2. its fun yes, entertaining yes, but when you have to put THAT much work into a game to only get to last 15 seconds in a match against j-wong, (yes, played him) id rather play brawl.

dont get me wrong. i still play MVC2 and pick up on tricks and learn things. i just do it casually.

As far as Brawl being a waist of time...i NEVER see a chance to win money a waist of time. thats one of the reasons i kept playing melee. i mean, melee is mad fun. but do you think i hosted all the tourneys i had in sova JUST because it was fun? hell no! i mad a decent amount of money AND had fun.

The only difference now that ill be trying to win money off brawl is, ill be having way more fun with the actual PLAYERS, rather than with the game. smash has always been good at bringing together a good social crowd of people from male to female ( DJ Kiwi <3 ) and there usually mad cool.

Dont take this the wrong way, but i think that you and a few of the other "new gen" (that what i call all the newer Sova heads) smashers may be to new to the scene to realize where to REAL fun of smash comes from.

Dn4

Smash Rookie
0-no - yeah im what u call a "new gen".
But i like melee more then brawl. (im the guy who was luigi at necacon)

Poehlcat

Smash Apprentice
Let Juan speak for himself...I just don't like brawl. I don't have much fun playing it against anyone unless it's just messing around and going for Ganoncides and melee-esque falcon combos.

Also, WoW is boring and so is GoW.

rhan

Smash Hero
so, Rhan, i asked if i was going. he said only 1 person allowed in the car.
and then i asked if rhan's even going.
and he didn't answer.

so. again, he's super unreliable. we might need to hitch a ride again to North Carolina for this tourney.
-_________________________-''

After my 3 weeks of kissing *** to my mom and planning this ****, he's not backing down. I'll kidnap his ***.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
Rhan- yea we're screwed. cuz we're stuck with a lying IDIOT.
but i think we're dreaming too hard. i dont think we shud be goin anywhere outside of VA till someone like Theo or YOU get yalls licenses. (not me, i'm a horrid driver)

so, for now..... i think we should chill, and maybe actually HOST something, instead of travel.
People should be able to come out, gas prices are crashing down =/

D0N

Smash Ace
Dont take this the wrong way, but i think that you and a few of the other "new gen" (that what i call all the newer Sova heads) smashers may be to new to the scene to realize where to REAL fun of smash comes from.
This post reminds me of an old man telling a child "Let me show you whipper snappers how its done":laugh:.

On another note, Im gonna make you an offer:

You take about two weeks and get good in brawl. play with kadaj or something. After that, we play three matches. If I win all three, I get 20$. However, if I lose just one match, you win 20$.

This is not me being cocky, its just a fun challenge.

rhan

Smash Hero
I'm down with hosting a tourney. But I can't set a venue out here due to the fact I'm probably the farthest SoVA player and no one would want to drive over a toll bridge and an hour into nothingness just to play for a few hours then drive home. I'm willing to help pay/plan anything when we can actually think about this.

StarYoshi14

Smash Rookie
Meh, if a meet happens within an hour of my house, I might be able to convince my mom to go. Maybe I could pick up Melee or something. Never played Competitive Melee though. I like Brawlz.

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
This post reminds me of an old man telling a child "Let me show you whipper snappers how its done":laugh:.

On another note, Im gonna make you an offer:

You take about two weeks and get good in brawl. play with kadaj or something. After that, we play three matches. If I win all three, I get 20$. However, if I lose just one match, you win 20$.

This is not me being cocky, its just a fun challenge.
im down for this. BUT, its gonna have to wait until after x-mas. i dont have a will at my house anymore and the earlyest est time i could get around to practicing with kadaj is like, the 13th or something.

no one ever seems to be free for practice during the week
~.~;

D0N

Smash Ace
O-NO - Cool ill look forward to this. after x-mas is fine, as long as its all done before i go back to school really, which i think isnt until after new years. so maybe sometime between christmas and new years.

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
whenever fests go down. i'm down. i support sova no matter how big/small turnout. i show up to pretty much all the fests. lol i still have fun. no matter what game we be playing haha. =P

JWolf

Smash Cadet
The last SoVa tourney saw 23 entrants in singles.

Nine of those 23 were from MD/VA.

NINE.
Well technically a lot more if not all were from MD/VA because i didn't know we had people from other states that came. Sorry that post was just bothering me and i had to say it.

ttocs

Smash Rookie
Played poker against some guy online from virginia named BlkG## today

does david play poker? lol

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
wait lol people always get matches/games confused. matches = 2/3 GAMES. so do you mean three 2/3 games? or do you honestly mean 3 GAMES. (o-no and don challenge) as in basically ONE MATCH. lol...people are confusing.

toasty

Smash Hero
I think D0N was pretty clear about what he said.

It was like my Ness challenge but wayyyy better!

But he said "matches" both times. Matches don't necessarily mean sets when it comes to Smash. Actually it really doesn't. Unless I'm completely off and wrong, he just means "if I 3-0 you, you pay me $20. If I don't, I pay you $20"

Top Bottom