• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

Ether

Smash Ace
Cow is 100% right. In fact, he could go even further by saying I'm not a good player, which is also 100% right, but I already knew that. See, when you're really trying to get better, you focus on beating the likes of M2K and Azen, not me. But I think as Brawl approached, many people like Toasty and FATS started saying, "eff you Ether, I'm ****, too," and I respect them for that. I don't really expect people to think that beating me is a goal. I definately appreciate whatever fans I have. But if I had the choice to trade my fans for 10 local Cyrains, I'd trade in a heartbeat. If people in SoVa are still serious about playing some Melee and getting really good, I'm down.

I think you can't say Brawl and Melee are two completely different games. There are a lot of things that carry over, and a lot of the fun in Brawl is finding the new things and making campy R.O.B.s lose. I mean, I like Melee more, but I think Brawl is just as competive in its own right. A lot of the frustration Melee players have is not thinking enough about Brawl, like daydreaming and asking random "What ifs" like Mew2King does, cuz you have to do exercises like these to build your mindgames. Brawl is mindgames and patience. I think if you get good in Brawl, you should be able to go over to Melee and win against people you used to lose to simply because you learned how to read things better.

And what CStick said is true, too. You're basically paying 5 bucks to play the amazing team richmond, which I have forced myself to be a part of. Some pros will enter a tourney and then leave without playing you more than the 2 matches it takes to send you to loser's or knock you out. But these guys will **** you again and again, and then they will call over one of your friends and ask them to team with you so one of them can **** both of you while the 2nd TR person plays a dumb character like kirby and makes you think that there's more to kirby than you knew, but in reality you just get ***** by the 1st TR player while you try to chase after the puffball. And these are good times to be had for the low fee of 5-10 dollars. It's a great investment that you pay, what, once or twice a month, if that? And if you just ask them, they'll probably give you a tip or two on how to get better, so that next time, they can **** you in a different way.

Shaeman, Cow beat my Marth pretty convincingly a few times in the past; he's very skilled. Just sitting next to him is a mindgame, because out of the corner of your eye, you know he's staring at you while he ***** your soul on screen.

Now for the point of this post: Cyrain, it's about time for our matches. ^_^ Let's do this *pound*

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
I was just alittle shocked at cow's explosion.
I mean, i did beat him, but idk if he was sandbagging or wut??
I'm done with talk about **** and souls and who's better! We'll see next time we play who has better skill.

and who's soul is *****.

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
Ether does have a good point about playing people better than u. I bet he's thinking of how to beat Neo in a Marth ditto right now. I used to have my eyes set on trying to beat Ether but now I do want a rematch against Cactuar one day.

@ Slash- I talked to Russ and he said he'll get your stuff ASAP.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Also, crystal and shaeman: the reason why people here probably view you as immature is because you run your mouth so much, making challenges before saying "I dont have that much money lol" as a way to back out, acting like you've remotely done anything for the community, kiss *** in every thread, etc. etc. Such behavior has been consistently found in all the other immature windbags that passed through here. For the love of God, watch what you say, back up your words with actions or acceptance of challenges, or stop posting.
the only time ive EVER made a challenge was vs. fats [i hope thats still on, meh]. I never challenged otis in 3s, nor any other game. so where do i run my mouth?

as for contributions, ive done my best. ive made it to a few cnu tournies, slash's recent fest, and have tried to go to ascendancy a few times (though those proved unsuccessful). I even hosted a $10 entry tourney here in williamsburg with a pretty good tournout last summer. dont confuse me with other people on the boards please.

rhan

Smash Hero
LOL XD Nice way to put together words Ether. But I was also in shock and now that I look back at it I feel bad for bashing on him back and being ignorant. Everyone has thier right to their opinion no matter what you can't make someone say what you want to hear.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
I read everything posted in this thread (no matter how long it takes, quite a recap today).

Playing Brawl has definitely changed the way I play melee to some degree. For the better.

I love being a part of this community. <3 Sova

Cyrain

Smash Ace
Cow is 100% right. In fact, he could go even further by saying I'm not a good player, which is also 100% right, but I already knew that. See, when you're really trying to get better, you focus on beating the likes of M2K and Azen, not me. But I think as Brawl approached, many people like Toasty and FATS started saying, "eff you Ether, I'm ****, too," and I respect them for that. I don't really expect people to think that beating me is a goal. I definately appreciate whatever fans I have. But if I had the choice to trade my fans for 10 local Cyrains, I'd trade in a heartbeat. If people in SoVa are still serious about playing some Melee and getting really good, I'm down.

I think you can't say Brawl and Melee are two completely different games. There are a lot of things that carry over, and a lot of the fun in Brawl is finding the new things and making campy R.O.B.s lose. I mean, I like Melee more, but I think Brawl is just as competive in its own right. A lot of the frustration Melee players have is not thinking enough about Brawl, like daydreaming and asking random "What ifs" like Mew2King does, cuz you have to do exercises like these to build your mindgames. Brawl is mindgames and patience. I think if you get good in Brawl, you should be able to go over to Melee and win against people you used to lose to simply because you learned how to read things better.

And what CStick said is true, too. You're basically paying 5 bucks to play the amazing team richmond, which I have forced myself to be a part of. Some pros will enter a tourney and then leave without playing you more than the 2 matches it takes to send you to loser's or knock you out. But these guys will **** you again and again, and then they will call over one of your friends and ask them to team with you so one of them can **** both of you while the 2nd TR person plays a dumb character like kirby and makes you think that there's more to kirby than you knew, but in reality you just get ***** by the 1st TR player while you try to chase after the puffball. And these are good times to be had for the low fee of 5-10 dollars. It's a great investment that you pay, what, once or twice a month, if that? And if you just ask them, they'll probably give you a tip or two on how to get better, so that next time, they can **** you in a different way.

Shaeman, Cow beat my Marth pretty convincingly a few times in the past; he's very skilled. Just sitting next to him is a mindgame, because out of the corner of your eye, you know he's staring at you while he ***** your soul on screen.

Now for the point of this post: Cyrain, it's about time for our matches. ^_^ Let's do this *pound*
Yep, Cow pretty much hit the nail on the head. Now, the part where you aren't good is bull****, don't make me smack you. >_< I think we all know you're pretty ****ing amazing.

Also, yes, TR does try to play with everyone and help everyone get better while we're there. Particularly the ones who don't complain and are truly interested, like Toasty for instance. (Just one example, there are others) Toasty has always striven so hard to get good and he improved soooo **** fast. Hopefully we'll be able to attend a brawl/melee fest soon and play you silly people again.

Also, Ether, I agree. I don't want to get rusty at melee, I need to play you. I've been working on my Captain Falcon a loooot with Geos lately. =D

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
GEEEEOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
<3

haha, sorry the mere mention of that man causes confusing feelings >_>

But yo, TR should definitely come down for my tournament and either hit up the Thunderdome all night or at least for a bit and then do whatever? I mean you don't HAVE to go to the Thunderdome, of course....

then again...Chu's hosting that day too >_>

*sigh*

Cyrain. I really ****ing miss you. No homo.
Please try and come down that weekend ;____;

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
Well, I don't have any plans for next weekend and if O-NO is offering housing, then I'm totally in support of heading down to SoVa. I want to play smash sooooo bad. Someone please join me in this venture! I can't drive and a bus by myself would be all boring and lonely...

In anycase, SoVa tournaments are always the most fun, so Chu's is pretty much a nonissue. I can't think of anyone there I'd rather play than toasty, O-NO, kitsune, c-stick, ether... the list goes on.

Speaking of smash dreams though, I had a dream I was playing falco on FD last night. I zero to deathed a falcon and taunted and paused. I can only assume that it was a sign. >_>

toasty

Smash Hero
I had a day dream where I was good at smash...and then I opened my eyes to see myself get 4 stocked ;___;

Toasty, what characters do you mainly use in brawl and melee now? It's been a while.
I've played 3 matches of Melee since Brawl came out [at Slash's one night, he decided to pop it in...then he remembered he was infinitely better at Brawl than at Melee hahaha], and I used Ness, Fox, and Marth. Add Pikachu and that's my Melee roster. At first I wanted like 8 mains in Brawl, but time constraints have told me otherwise. I haven't gotten to play much so my absolute mains are Lucas and ROB. I guess I'm relearning Pikachu and I'm still keeping Olimar :) But I want to get back into G&W/Zelda

Playing Brawl has definitely changed the way I play melee to some degree. For the better.
Agreed. Also: <3 Tope. It's always fun to try and hug you because it's not really your thing but you're nice enough to oblige me anyway =D You also give phenomenal advice.

@TR: I really really want to get some Melee in =D The only MMs I plan on: Marth Vs. Isra's Falco and Marth Vs. Cyrain's CF. I'm not going to squander and save you from a guaranteed loss by trying to be an ******* and spike you when you're already dead
^ for those who don't know about it, I was 2 stocks up, he was wayyy beyond dead, I dropped....hit him with the weak inner part of the dair...he DI'ed toward the stage, tech-jumped, survived, and took my last stock and the money ;____; It was hilarious and embarrassing. Just like Isra's Marth vs. mine in that MM ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. jk >_>

our MM should be ****, Will.

EDIT: a friend of mine goes to VCU. If he's coming down that weekend as he frequently does, I'll see if he can give you a ride

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I remember those money matches. Good times, good times. My falco shall avenge my marth! At least, I hope that I can stick with falco for a while instead of dropping him for some other character I happen to do ok with for a week, only to then go back to my love/hate relationship with peach. >_<

toasty

Smash Hero
if you go back to Peach I solemnly swear that I WILL play that intelligent campy Pikachu with good spacing that infuriates you so...only because if I do anything else: I get ***** ;___;

actually...you're nasty against Fox, I would love some Fox/Peach matches ^_^

edit #2: Tope, I need more Fox/Sheik plz

and Cyrain..well...I just need more Cyrain ;)

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Cyrain made me pretty good against fox lol. Fox/peaches matches would be lovely. I wanna try my marth against your fox too. And we might as well do marth dittos while we're at it. Or fox dittos. Or my fox versus your marth. We could just do every character match-up available. MELEE FRIENDLIES UNTIL THE END OF TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME. >_>

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
I am alive and well...with luck i will be at this tourney in a bit..if not my roommate will be there...he's pretty good..still needs work with his ddd vs mk or falco..but if you don't counterpick him you may get demolished and crushed into a pulp

oh, and if people are around in williamsburg, MM me..i'm not a coward when it comes to spending money...i merely have a life that i consider a little more important than smash

Speaking of which, i need more rob practice with marth..that matchup is kinda hard..i like pit vs rob though...

anyways, crystal yous hould come over on the weekend sometime..i could find you a lot of people to play against...

honestly though, there are only 2 other players i found pretty good at brawl earlier..and one of them hasn't been playing much...there are a few others that are decent..but still...honestly i spend a lot of time trying to teach some of my friends...but it's slow going...

wth was all that with cow..and cow left the tourney scene just as i started to play a bit...so I was always disappointed to not see him at tournaments..but regardless...my melee skills are still decent..but i'm worried they may atrophy due to 3hrs of brawl a day and no melee.

On a side note, my roommate is completely uninterested in melee these days..so he would want brawl at any tournaments...he wasn't that interested in melee to begin with

are chaingrab infinites going to be allowed at this tournament? it will make certain counterpick matchups impossible...if so, i need to brush up on ddd a little.

toasty

Smash Hero
are chaingrab infinites going to be allowed at this tournament? it will make certain counterpick matchups impossible...if so, i need to brush up on ddd a little.
are they legit infinites? how difficult are they? describe them, please. If it's anything like Wobbles, it's probably a no. Just describe it, and also:

I'll take a poll. [note, poll does not = vote]

EDIT: wow...yesterday's craziness generated 56 posts in a 24 hour period.

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
Against a wall ddd can just down throw to down throw to you get the idea. Shadow moses comes to mind.

toasty

Smash Hero
yeah but I think I've banned all walled levels. Infinites are a lot easier, especially something like....uhh, G&W jab-infinite. @_@

oh snap, wait, can DDD do this on Green Greens?

and if anyone comments on how Melee tourneys allowed Fox to shine-infinite against a wall, that's because 1) it took more skill than just down throw->regrab, but also: there's a way out of it ;)

Anyway: I'm going just going to periodically repost the link to my tournament every couple of pages since every person who browses here doesn't check every page and I'm trying to make this as big and awesome as possible.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162645

Also go here if you want to suggest any changes or additions to the ruleset :)
oh and it looks like a good number of people are already confirmed to show, so pools will most likely be the best course of action. Especially so that people get their money's worth.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
The only other stages in toastys tourney I could possibly see an infinite happening on is Orpheon (in the first phase...and even then that platform moves) and Poke stadium 1 when there is a wall.

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
I have problems with both wario ware and pictochat. Wario ware will grant people invincibility and giant size. Those are both out of line: invincibility for obvious reasons and giant size means giant mach tornado, ROB/Pikachu downsmash bull****, etc which are also no good. Pictochat is dumb because the wagon part can spawn randomly and hit you really hard. Also, there's this funny glitch where kirby does down b on the right edge and the hitbox just stays out. http://youtube.com/watch?v=ltQ2aeBwUTk It's hilarious, but I really don't want to see it in tournament matches. v_v

If I have the opportunity to check ddd's chaingrab on green greens today I will. I know green greens is really harsh to tether recovery characters, but frigate orpheon and iirc rainbow cruise and hanenbow are too, so w/e. Poor ZSS. ;_;

toasty

Smash Hero
K. thanks for the input. I had a feeling I'd axe Warioware and Pictochat.

also: poor ZSS?!?!?! she can just hit downB and get another jump that automatically makes her walljump! And at least Ivysaur has sideB. POOR OLIMAR! how bout that? >:O
I'm all for tether recovery sympathy, though. Some people just get kind of screwed by the stages some times. and those GOD**** STARBLOCKS! iirc Zelda got screwed by them in Melee as well? Haha, better have a secondary, kiddies :)

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I said poor zss since pokemon trainer doesn't really have to rely on ivysaur, olimar has a grab range long enough to make up for anything he has to complain about, and zamus's down b doesn't mean **** when there's a starblock above you. Haha, I wish I even had a main, let alone a secondary. There are like 9 characters in brawl I play. They made it even harder to pick a character than melee. : / I think ganondorf may be my favorite though. :laugh:

toasty

Smash Hero
oh man...the ****ty thing about Olimar is that let's say you're well within range of the edge. like...3 Pikmin away. You have 5 Pikmin out. but ONE of them is still on the stage trying to run back to you even when you whistled. If he's not in the chain behind you by the time you upB, NONE of your Pikmin will even TRY to grab the ledge because that last Pikmin is seen as the one to do it. the others will shoot out, even HIT the ledge, but they won't grab it.

edit: oh and if someone is hanging on the edge and they don't even have invulnerability frames anymore, and you hit them with upB, yes they will get knocked off the ledge, BUT you won't grab the ledge. I think that only ONE kind of Pikmin [purple] can both knock them off AND let you grab the ledge.

*demands a patch from Nintendo......and a maxi pad* >_<

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
I'm amazed that there is discussion of pictochat..i'm definitely going to do stage recommendations at some point..

i'm also really surprised no one knows about the infinites...does no one pay attention to smashboards at all these days.

DDD has unbreakable infinites (dthrow to regrab...no walk motion, no need for stage space) on 4-5 char that i forget the names of, although one of them is luigi (i don't play people who can be infinited usually)...he also has chaingrabs on most of the cast...as does falco..falco is probably top tier assuming chaingrab is allowed as normal..DDD is also quite good..but i wouldn't say he is top..

I don't really play either of them though..falco is good against DDD though.

Marth has an infinite against Lucas and Ness that goes till death i think....it goes grab, jab jab jab, breakout, grab, jab jab jab jab jab, break out, grab, jab, jab jab, jab, dsmash tipper death.

I hope isra mains ganon...he's my favorite char too:) however, he has really bad matchups in some cases...like against metaknight

toasty

Smash Hero
there's only a discussion because I haven't played Brawl much at all so I needed input from people who have so I can run the tourney properly :)

also, some people in Melee had char-specific chainthrows to death [Sheik against...too many people. Pikachu against fast fallers, for instance]. But NOTHING as simple as dthrow regrab without moving. that's pretty broken.

sooo yeah, about that poll.

what do people think? should it be allowed?
Falco's CGs I think you can jump out of at certain percents.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
falco is probably top tier assuming chaingrab is allowed as normal..DDD is also quite good..but i wouldn't say he is top..
u would think so, but whenever i see "tier" lists or tournament finalists i never see falco. makes me really wanna explore more of the brawl scene. but whenever there's melee, it attracts me more!

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
there's only a discussion because I haven't played Brawl much at all so I needed input from people who have so I can run the tourney properly :)

also, some people in Melee had char-specific chainthrows to death [Sheik against...too many people. Pikachu against fast fallers, for instance]. But NOTHING as simple as dthrow regrab without moving. that's pretty broken.

sooo yeah, about that poll.

what do people think? should it be allowed?
Falco's CGs I think you can jump out of at certain percents.
i wouldnt ban falco cg. ddd cg is almost as broken as wobbling if u should make that ur criteria for brokenness.

EDIT sorry for double post. i read toasty's reply right after i posted my last message

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
kp me n IV wana practice w/ u this weekend.
we have nothing to do.
Shaeman <3 <3 <3...
but this is EXACTLY what poisons the minds of people on this board, apparently. shaeman will make a challenge or talk trash or w.e and put my name in a senttence, and all of a sudden people make claims that i challenged some1 or committed do some sort of MM or fest or w/e.

just to clear things up, to support my former argument about never challenging any1 (cept fats) or "windbagging" as c-stick calls it.

ill b quiet about it now.

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo CA! (for lowlifes that dont know) Teh Bea
regardless, statements where made about you being able to mop me in 3S. I see that as a chance to play either a skilled player who i can have good matches with, or a nub whos about to get taught the game and perhaps will use that as inspiration to get better and one day do battle with me in the old style man v man combat.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
regardless, statements where made about you being able to mop me in 3S. I see that as a chance to play either a skilled player who i can have good matches with, or a nub whos about to get taught the game and perhaps will use that as inspiration to get better and one day do battle with me in the old style man v man combat.

O-NO, u r obviously god tier in every game considering u made this thread and r hosting a mini evo. i respect yo authoritaa.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
yea theo, wut o-no said.
but tu madre told me u didnt have anything 2 do. and our parents are gona hang out, so what were we gona do?
WHY NOT KP'S!?

Top Bottom