• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
I'm down to train with you, O-No. Only if we get a montage played with "Eye of the Tiger" though...and I can dropkick someone.

Oh, anyone got Russ' numba? He took my copy of melee/memory card and left his brawl disc
i'll let Russ know about that Slash.

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
Riku, we'll see about that ride. I need to get confirmation from the other people who said they might ride with me. If there's a spot, I'll let you know. I also gotta confirm with the person I might stay with in NoVa
thats cool. 10 chars.

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
@ SpeedYoshi: I accept. $3, best of 3?

@ Toasty: Brawl is inferior to melee in terms of depth, tournament viability and technical skill. It also get pretty boring quickly since camping is so powerful and character match-ups are so much more rock/paper/scissors.

Melee > Brawl and there's no denying that. That being said, brawl is still pretty fun given the huge pile of awesome characters, but it should not replace melee as smash's tournament game.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
I will never say Brawl is better than Melee. Not even close to comparison. It's just a different game to me completely. Like I was saying to Zion last night, I don't even think of Brawl as "smash"...to me, "smash" will always mean Melee and if I wanna play Brawl I wouldn't say anything but Brawl. I'm just sick of hearing about the complaints. It's a new game, it's fun, there are still things being figured out. Of course I haven't been to tournaments for Brawl. And relative to most people, I haven't played a whole lot, so I haven't been subjected to the not-so-fun gays that have apparently pissed off many a competitive smasher [intense camping ruling so many matches].

Maybe I'll end up hating it once I go to a tournament. But for now, I'm embracing it, and I'll still get out to Melee tournaments :)

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Brawl=slow, therefore: no comboes, less intense matches, more/easier camping (pit), longer matches (even with 3 stock), less mindgames (easier to read what's going on with more time), less punishment [for mistakes], etc.

u might say they made the game more fun, but for whom? ur 12 year old little brother who knows nothing about "myndgaymz," "tires," or "johns"?

and i find it no fun to see flaws in another's game and have my only punishment option be to wait/bait for an inward roll.

HOWEVER, i find it extremely fun to use falco's final smash. That, my friends, is called abuse.

O-NO: u want too much $ for MM; i can't use a stick bcuz i dun have one or a 3s arcade nearby.

EDIT: some may find my above comments offensive and take them seriously. they were not directed at any one person. they are simply figurative and designed to make a point.

toasty

Smash Hero
I don't know. Maybe I just got lucky with the people I play against. I've had nothing but good times playing this game. Even intense matches! And I've gotten by annoying *** camping. But most of my friends don't do that. The ones who do force me to find ways around it, so I like the challenge. There are definitely mindgames heavily rooted in predicting and faking people out...hmmm, maybe I just got lucky because it heavily caters to my playing style from Melee which was mostly patience, baiting, and traps...and also the characters I use in Brawl make things pretty interesting (Pika, Lucas, ROB, Olimar) and I don't really spam any of their specials.

But I can see your points, I guess. I'm just glad I'm able to separate the two games and not expect to get the same thing from either game...or I'd probably lose my mind. It's just a bonus that I can still have intense matches and mindgames. I really think it's too early to say this game can't and shouldn't be played competitively.

Cow

Smash Apprentice
Melee is a horrible game, and you're all terrible at it. The only decent southern VA melee player south of Richmond was Ether, in the grand scheme of things.(Doug was good too, but does he count as playing? idk) None of you mattered, or ever did anything worth remembering. You got together once a month to play friendlies, exchange three year old internet memes, and complain about how you can't beat ether and tope instead of just ****ing getting better. You put the people you assumed to be "undeniably better" than you on these stupid pedestals, and are far too busy sucking them off to just try and get better. If you've really given up on beating inconsequential players, why do you even bother? You all sat around and complained about 'cheap characters' like sheik, boo ****ing hoo, and then played marth and pretended there wasn't a whole ****ton of irony you were somehow managing to ignore. Or maybe you gave up on being a good player, and just aimed to be the best ****ty character in the hampton roads area. Real ****in accomplishment there, kids. Nobody else plays that character because they're in the 2/3rds of the cast that is ENTIRELY UN ****ING PLAYABLE. Why you're clinging to false hopes of a dying bastion of your own incompetence, inadequacy, and insufferable personality flaws instead of moving the **** on, or better yet, quitting altogether, is mind boggling. oh, and in before some tool spouts delusional dreck about how somehow any of the above described bull**** is 'fun'.

edit: i meant to post a snarky image instead text.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Melee is a horrible game, and you're all terrible at it. The only decent southern VA melee player south of Richmond was Ether, in the grand scheme of things.(Doug was good too, but does he count as playing? idk) None of you mattered, or ever did anything worth remembering. You got together once a month to play friendlies, exchange three year old internet memes, and complain about how you can't beat ether and tope instead of just ****ing getting better. You put the people you assumed to be "undeniably better" than you on these stupid pedestals, and are far too busy sucking them off to just try and get better. If you've really given up on beating inconsequential players, why do you even bother? You all sat around and complained about 'cheap characters' like sheik, boo ****ing hoo, and then played marth and pretended there wasn't a whole ****ton of irony you were somehow managing to ignore. Or maybe you gave up on being a good player, and just aimed to be the best ****ty character in the hampton roads area. Real ****in accomplishment there, kids. Nobody else plays that character because they're in the 2/3rds of the cast that is ENTIRELY UN ****ING PLAYABLE. Why you're clinging to false hopes of a dying bastion of your own incompetence, inadequacy, and insufferable personality flaws instead of moving the **** on, or better yet, quitting altogether, is mind boggling. oh, and in before some tool spouts delusional dreck about how somehow any of the above described bull**** is 'fun'.

edit: i meant to post a snarky image instead text.
archers light your arrows

(i wont provide your garbage with validity by posting a fitting response)

Cow

Smash Apprentice
archers light your arrows

(i wont provide your garbage with validity by posting a fitting response)
lol. I left you out, the least you can do is leave yourself out. Or better yet, ask around, see who in sova enjoys the company of whiny teenagers who think they're a lot better than they've obviously proven to be. I'm also sick of your vague grasp on flowery language and a thesaurus as an attempt to give your immature voice the false glow of some god **** enlightened scholar. I've seen you use the word 'opine'. This pretty much defines you as worthless. Even if you're not lying to yourself, your attempts at some kind of ****ing academic level of discourse on smashboards is god **** laughable. Go back to being rightfully unconsidered and unwanted in the community. <3

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
Cow shut your face.
1.I kicked ur azz
2.crystalnite is straight a student who's gona make his life alot more worthwhile than yours
3.quit the pms.

rhan

Smash Hero
Wow....What kind of guy goes around on the internet talking trash about a kid? How come we as teenagers have more maturity than you? Dude, for real grow up. It's not that big of a deal. I respect your opinions but no need to bash on people.

CStick

Smash Lord
I dont see how a game with a wide array of different physics that ended up being unbalanced and only favorable for about 12 chars of the game at best is worse than a game that has 32 chars that all play the same slow, campy, all-aerial-trade-hit style. Sounds like Cow is just reflecting on himself back when he gave up after everyone in SoVA started beating him badly in melee OH SNAP ZING!

the point of the melee scene was:
-to play a fast-paced game, different from other fighters, that had a competitive appeal to it
-have fun hanging out and playing said fast-paced, fun game

Yes, people whined about certain character advantages that were just a hassle to play against, but as you can see, those inconvient flaws never ruined the game for anyone. I guess it did for you, though.

without the fast-paced complexity of melee (albeit an unbalanced complexity), brawl is just plain boring to play. No sick comboes, no real need to even practice to try and get better, no real potential to have any real competitive appeal when compared to melee, etc. etc. Where's the speed? Where are the fast, tongue-in-cheek matches that have everyone quitting their matches just to come and watch something epic go down? What the hell is so interesting about brawl? Srsly, someone point it out, because I don't see it. I guess the fact that it's a break from melee is about all it has going for it.

Even if I suck balls at this game compared to Ether, Tope, Cyrain, etc., I'll still keep playing it as long as possible or until something else comes along. Why? Because Melee was always interesting and fun for me; brawl simply isn't, or at least not interesting enough to keep me from the melee stations.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
As if i would use a thesaurus to write on smashboards. why all of this cynicism all of a sudden? every member of smashboards is here to be a part of a community that serves the needs/wants of thriving smashers. I am allowed to talk trash without the ability to back up threats of defeating another skilled opponent. since when is humor not a part of the internet ("lol")?

I'm whiny, eh? about what? you attack just about every member of this thread in the hampton roads area and beyond and expect not to have some complaints? I'm sure many of the people who compete in SoVa know that they are not "the best VA's got," but that's why we play...to get better.

overall, we are just playing a game. It's a GAME Cow. I really wish you would prove your claims on everyone trying to prove themselves better than others. and even if they were, how does that make brawl better than melee? because it provides a brand new arena for SoVa smashers to prove themselves? Huh? Are you first berating players for making false claims to being the best and then saying that Brawl trumps melee for providing players another opportuninty to do the exact same thing? Perhaps you, sir, should stop being so vague.

Zomg i used the word opine! u know what it means, right? but u imply that i dont know what it means. In that case, y would any1 know what it means? Maybe proper schooling? Are you under the impression that I dont have proper schooling? Maybe you just think that because im 16, im automatically immature and underdeveloped in smash and education by default. Who here is rightfully unconsidered and unwanted in the community?

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
Well, to me i think Cow is unwanted. He's being a hypocrite and talks about OTHERS complaining?
And then blames it on smashers? Not to be blunt, but why is he being so emo?
He can just go jump off his unhappy cliff of criticizm into a pit of nothingness(TEH ABYSSZORS) if all he's going to do is directly attack people because of their goals/age.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Wow Cow and you call kids Immature yet your complaining about stupid **** and arguing with Kids. Your not a very good role model are you?

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo CA! (for lowlifes that dont know) Teh Bea
gawd, DAYUM!!!

if you people dont start posting about things that matter!!!!
ive gotten more feedback on the SRK thread about this gamers war than smash and i only started the thread like 3 days ago.

as of now, im thinking about canceling the event and just hosting something smaller.

you all *****ing about games rather than playing them, is killing the scene in sova.
im just gonna start playing in richmond. melee and brawl alike.

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to think of something scathing and witty to reply to cow with, but I thought better of it. ^_^ Regardless though, I thoroughly disagree with his recent posts. I certainly expected more thought out posts from him rather than flaming rants. : /

Cow

Smash Apprentice
i'm saving you all the trouble of trying to have a serious brawl v. melee discussion by downgrading the conversation into a generic flamewar. The constant *****ing and whining and comparing a game that has seen seven years of play to a practically brand new game and thinking its a fair comparison, and that there is some kind of factual backing in very simplistic personal observations is no more constructive than me lobbing vague insults. And honestly, i've just been looking for a good excuse to yell at you all for killing the scene here. I'm an angry person.

as for thread relevance.. sova's always been kinda small, and with split interest and already low turnout, i just don't think something big is feasible for now. people need to be really aching for a tournament, and there has to be more of a consensus on what to play. Finding a venue is more than most people can do/have done, but it might just need to wait, smash-wise.

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo CA! (for lowlifes that dont know) Teh Bea
1)
i'm saving you all the trouble of trying to have a serious brawl v. melee discussion by downgrading the conversation into a generic flamewar. The constant *****ing and whining and comparing a game that has seen seven years of play to a practically brand new game and thinking its a fair comparison, and that there is some kind of factual backing in very simplistic personal observations is no more constructive than me lobbing vague insults. And honestly, i've just been looking for a good excuse to yell at you all for killing the scene here. I'm an angry person.

2)
as for thread relevance.. sova's always been kinda small, and with split interest and already low turnout, i just don't think something big is feasible for now. people need to be really aching for a tournament, and there has to be more of a consensus on what to play. Finding a venue is more than most people can do/have done, but it might just need to wait, smash-wise.
1, valid points as usual. but this in NOT a thread about brawl v melee. make a thread about it, though im sure someone as already.

2, i disagree. brawl is a new game. new players, new styles. along with the old players given most of them show up, i think we cold have a big turn out smash wise even IF only sova showed up. the things thats really killing sova, is the lack of people acting like they want to play good comp, or even trying to be that good comp for others to play, and there lack of wanting to put some real money on the line.. thus the only time players like Chu will come (and would likely bring other Nova players) is when theres prizes and cash like the ODU tourney since they know they would win and they KNOW there getting there moneys worth. G-reg said himself "when sova starts doing 10$ tourneys, ill think about coming". why? because its not worth coming this far unless theres money involved.

i think what im gonna have to do is self promote. i think ill trow a tourney at my place to start. 5$ venue, 10$ entry. 20$ for teams.

note that EVERY SINGLE TOURNEY for smash that i host from here on out will be 10$ entry.

get used to it.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
O-NO i'm definitally down on that.
i'll pay and support. just be clear on date, time, and venue. no last minute crap plz.
What kind of tourney do u have in mind?

rhan

Smash Hero
I agree with O-No 100%. And I want in this tourney. Basically everything that Shaeman just said. Cause it's hard to get a ride at the last moment. Also Shaeman has to have his right hand man there.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
HAHAHAHAHAHA I ****ing love you Cow.
Some of that seemed a bit too bitter, but I got a good chuckle out of it.
Also @ Shaemen or whoever it was talking about beating Cow, when he used to play, he was > you and most of SoVa. Why he quit, I don't know, but Cow was quite good for a time.

toasty

Smash Hero
Otis...I'd be down. Also, I don't recall if I've mentioned this enough times, but:
If this thing at Gusto's goes well and I get enough positive feedback from the community and the venue alike, the venue will let me do ALL DAY tournaments like C3 during the summer [because the only days I can do all day at Gusto's are Tuesday and Wednesday I think and obviously people have classes any time but the summer]. There will either be a series of tournies OR a summer league of the GameOn Grand Slam variety [but it'll be in my hands, so no worries there] with a final grand tournament with guaranteed prizes...but once again: this all depends on how April 26th goes. Let's make this a good tournament ^_^
point is: if it's in the cards, we should talk about joining forces to host. eh?

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
lol yea it still works and i have it **** effective in play o yea be on the look out im about to make a marth comb video titled

"Debishionu ofu Souru Ando Supiritsu a Marth Combo Video by. Kadaj"

it means Division of Soul and Spirit

o yea toasty i would grealty appreciate it if you would come over and help me edit the footage i have all the clips needed just not on the computer thats all i have the songs and ideas for the entry and all

and we can def. play some more brawl b4 the tourny im always down for that just call me or something

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
HAHAHAHAHAHA I ****ing love you Cow.
Some of that seemed a bit too bitter, but I got a good chuckle out of it.
Also @ Shaemen or whoever it was talking about beating Cow, when he used to play, he was > you and most of SoVa. Why he quit, I don't know, but Cow was quite good for a time.
Do you know why he quit?
I need to keep playing. Lately we've been making more events

CStick

Smash Lord
O-No, if you're heading to Richmond then take me with you. I gotz gas monies.

Apparently SoVA is not really a scene anymore; it's just Squirtle Squad (when they're active), and the part of CNU that either arent broke 14-yr olds that can't learn how to beg for five bucks from their moms, or a bunch of college kids who, well, essentially can't beg for money from their moms either. Get jobs you phucking life-n00bs, sheesh. Also, yea, we killed the scene. The 12-14 players out of the 45 players that we've seen come and go killed it because we had ambition. Sorry if our quest to get good ruined it for you. I mean, if we knew, then we all would have been like toasy and just run low-tiers on you. I mean seriously, Toasty plays with ****ty chars because he knows that thats the only way to get people to play him, so he can snatch your balls away and replace them with that cervix that you p--sies always acted like you had. If we took after toasty and learned bad characters as well out of pity for most of you, then the scene would still be here. I mean, seriously, we all know that toasty could be as good as anyone in SS consistently if he stopped pitying most of you and pulled out marth more.

I've been to just about every fest O-NO has thrown, and entered every time. Or at least tried to, only to sometimes be disappointed in learning that I could have just showed up and MM'd Jason, MAshi, Otis, Ether, etc. and just had not invited most of you. When Tope's crew doesnt even feel like coming down to SoVA because of that, I honestly can't blame him. Geez, the point of trying to get better is to pay money to lure these guys down. From there, you can play infinite friendlies with them AFTER you get ***** in-tourney all night. And this money isnt really for profit, either. When Tope wins, he has to fill his gas tank up, cover all the entry fees he spotted for his friends he brought along, and pay Cyrain and savedge back for the weed, cigarettes, food money and steel reserve he took from them. Look at it this way:

-20 bucks of gas to get down here
-chances are that at least three of the five guys he brings along will ask him to spot them for their tourney fees (thats 15-25 bucks right there)
-about 20 bucks to buy Cyrain, Nelo, and himself his krunk juice, maybe as much as 70 bucks for krunk juice if Kiwii comes with him
-20 bucks for the drive back

He pretty much NEEDS to win just to break even. So, give the man five bucks and he'll play you and get you better. Seriously, that is how it works, get used to it.

Also, crystal and shaeman: the reason why people here probably view you as immature is because you run your mouth so much, making challenges before saying "I dont have that much money lol" as a way to back out, acting like you've remotely done anything for the community, kiss *** in every thread, etc. etc. Such behavior has been consistently found in all the other immature windbags that passed through here. For the love of God, watch what you say, back up your words with actions or acceptance of challenges, or stop posting.

toasty

Smash Hero
Toasty's marth is ****. You should money match my falco with it. >_>
you're on.

And CStick. Wow @_@ way to call me out >_> I pity no one.... I promise! Although a few people used to make me feel really bad for using Fox when I started getting decent with him [drill->shine infinites against sheik from 0-death] and then I switched back to Pika/Ness...that's what I get for playing at ODU all the time ;_____; My Fox skill time was really short lived, for those who played me regularly and don't remember me having a decent Fox >_> Marth was such a late decision...good to know that Melee hasn't died and will probably make a great comeback. definitely plan on reppin that yaoi ******* again ^_^

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
I CAN now tho! Personal adjustment was made for about 2 months so i'm taking advantage. I was about 2 MM mashi but then my cousin made me leave. i'm gettin into this whole MM thing, im still a nub at this stuff. but hey, i just recieved a lot of money monday. plenty for yall to steal eh? MM me on the 26th.
no need 4 complaints anymore. im trying. And the only crew member who can drive is PTZR, the guy who is never allowed out. and if he is, he leaves before 9:00 P.M.

Anyway, you cant really blame us. We have more limitations.

Edit: Toasty, what characters do you mainly use in brawl and melee now? It's been a while.

Top Bottom