• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
Schoolie's ROB is definitely a T-1000000 (terminator reference? ok nevermind...)
Obviously it's a Terminator reference, but it could .........................okay scratch that, I was going to make a calculator joke, but that could easily be taken out of context to make Schoolie's ROB seem good....which it is, but making a clever analogy to accidentally hint at anything positive about Schoolie isn't something I do >_>

I will say that my ROB trembled a bit in fear just by being in the company of people who play against him all the time...made me feel insecure and like a scrub who couldn't do anything cool or flashy :(

F*ck Rock"safe move"Smash so hard. I should have just used my 4th taunt...sad that I probably could have kept those stocks if I just camped ;__; Juan, beware that tether killer I told you about haha ^_^
oh and those dittos were too good, Schoolie. Bey Blade battles and mirror movements were fun surprises

Glyph.......we hardly played >_<

Edit@Cyrain: We'll do both.

Poehlcat

Smash Apprentice
**** cyrain, we need to play next time we get the chance, i learned to fox ditto, and my only evidence of this is taking off 3 of pcats stocks by only giving 32 damage in <30 seconds. He then quit the match haha
Gayest match ever.

And speaking of Cyrain I'll be hopefully trying to play with you and TR a lot this summer once I get back. Much preferably melee, which I don't think should be a problem.:)

EDIT: And sorry to Toasty and everyone for not being able to stay last night. I would have really liked to, but I couldn't pass up 4/20.

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
>XD unfortunately cant contribute cz i wasnt watching your ROB at slash's. but its pretty hard to have a bad ROB...

btw lawl at your location status. but still - **** pit

drag00nspyd0r

Smash Rookie
yeah I've been asking around for TVs...Caboose, I'm about to go to work, so make a post on the SoVa and CNU thread asking, pleading, begging with those asian teddy bear eyes of yours...

more tvs never hurt :) and power strips! I think we have like 6 or 7 Wiis and could easily get more
^^^you heard the man. we need TVs for toasty's gusto's tourny this saturday. if you have em, please bring em

<---Caboose

toasty

Smash Hero
Just a friendly reminder

THREAD:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162645

^Thats (757) not (257) in the phone number...Wrong-info-on-google-maps-that-I-copy-pasted-without-proofreading johns.

RULES
HOUSE RULES:
You're on your own for parking, sorry :( I recommend that you park at MacArthur Mall across the street in the garage. On Saturday's, so long as you're out by 6 PM, it's only $1. If you leave your car there past 6 PM, it's still only $2.00
PLEASE, use your common sense: don't steal or break anything.
If you pay venue fee, and don't want to enter in the tourney, you can play friendlies so long as there is no tournament match that needs a TV. Tourney matches take precedent. If the tourney is over before 5pm, everyone can play friendlies until then. I will have labels for people's TVs and Wiis so no one has to worry about losing their ****.
Enjoy great food at Gusto's!!!

TOURNEY RULES:
CASH PAYOUT: 60/30/10 (Venue may unfortunately draw small % from tourney pot...percentages shown are of remaining pot total. If enough people come to this, then I can convince the owner to not take anything from the tourney pot)

NO ITEMS [not even Smashballs]

iCONTROLS! ---You can use any controller (GameCube, Wiimote, etc) and any control configuration you want. If you have special control settings, you MUST change your control scheme before the match starts. If you're human and happen to forget to add your changed controls to that system, you have about 5 seconds into the match [unless your opponent is nice] to remember to change your controls. You WILL, however, remain that character and return to that stage if this kind of event occurs. Sometimes people forget to take off the previous player's tag...well in Brawl that actually matters since control schemes are attached to tags. Same rules apply for realizing this.

Pools and # advancing from each depend on turnout.
Double Elimination Bracket
3 Stock
8 Minutes
Best 2 out of 3
Losers/Winners/Grand Finals: Best 3 out of 5
Each player can ban a stage prior to the set.
First match of each set will be on a Random stage
Loser of the previous match will choose the next stage, then the winner selects a character, then the loser selects a character.
Any glitches or game-stalling strategies to run out the clock are banned and will result in the loss of that stock.

***NO COACHING. In the middle of a tournament match, you cannot ask someone "what do I do?" or "what am I doing wrong?" etc. If you want to avoid risking your friend/acquaintance's tourney match, then it would be wise to not say anything until the match is over. Some tournaments are a little more strict about this than others, with the strictness level reflecting the gravity of the tournament or match. For me, I'm not sure yet. I'll talk to some more experienced hosts and see what they think. But if I don't change this by the week before the tournament, then consider that it's okay to coach or seek help between matches. But don't be a **** about it and sit there for 5 minutes hatching strategies with someone else. As soon as ONE character has been selected for the next match, the NO COACHING rule is again in effect.

I guess if it's really hype and you see certain things coming and shout out "spike!", "DON'T GET GRABBED!" or something of that nature, that's fine. But don't read out combos or setups to someone playing haha...I'm just saying, no one deserves any sort of unfair advantage. If you don't have the information and strategy to cope with another player's style, and that's what sets you apart from that player and that's why you lose the match, then so be it.

Cheering for your crew is great, but it's not a crew battle (in which case, anything goes :)).

IF YOU BREAK THIS RULE, THE MATCH WILL BE FORFEITED.***

For King DDD users, there are several characters DDD can chainthrow infinite simply by standing still, downthrowing, and regrabbing, etc. Without any effort. If you're a DDD player, don't bother attempting this in tournament to find out what characters it works on, just don't bother trying it. Much like wobbling ended up being in Melee tournaments, this is banned. Depending on the situation, this could result in a reset with you at a 1 stock disadvantage, a forfeited match, or simply the loss of a stock. I reserve the right to deal any punishment I desire given the situation, but only because I'm unaware of any sort of official ruling as to the consequences for doing this.
^------If this eventually proves to NOT be an infinite that can kill you, the this rule will obviously be removed. But for now, this is the way it shall be.

STAGES
NEUTRAL STAGES (set to Random):
-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island (DS Version)

COUNTERPICK STAGES:
-Lylat Cruise
-Halberd
-Frigate Orpheon
-Pokestadium 1
-Brinstar
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Seige
-Rainbow Cruise
-Jungle Japes
-Green Greens
-Hanenbow (Electroplankton)
-Norfair

Other than that, if you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to share, but that should be pretty self explanatory =D

TELL ME IF YOU CAN BRING A TV. I will..........love you forever? MAYBE if I have enough and I'm in good enough spirits: I'll make you nachos at Slash's if you bring a TV [though there is a limit...we'll see how many we can fit, first come first serve kinda thing]...again: this is a maybe. But I can't reduce the venue fee ;___;

Oh and everyone bring a Wii with all chars/stages if you have them, for good measure :) lol at potential 20+ Wiis. Okay on second thought, let me know if you can bring one and I'll say whether we need it or not.

THREAD:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162645

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
Shameless plugging FTW!

btw...

THUNDERDOME!

DATES: SAT APRIL 26 (following Toasty's tourney when we get kicked out)
"I Fight For My Friends"

Come play some friendly competitive Brawl at my place after Toasty's Gusto's Tourney.

CREWS, DOUBLES, and even more SINGLES

unrealperson4564

Smash Apprentice
Virginia Beach, VA ; I think I'm becoming a Sonic
>XD unfortunately cant contribute cz i wasnt watching your ROB at slash's. but its pretty hard to have a bad ROB...

btw lawl at your location status. but still - **** pit
Oh that.

I quit Pit a while ago. I'm just too lazy to change my avatar etc.

AARRGGH Typing on the Wii FTL
btw some of my friends from high school are thinking about coming to your thing Slash.

Soooo... GETRAPEDGETRAPEDGETRAPED!

Ether

Smash Ace
Riku's sigs never fail to impress me.

CYRAAAIIIIINNN

Forget Marth and Fox. I'm going all M2k on you.

(psst - I haven't practiced for months...)

Edit - I think I'm free Sunday. I'll play some Melee and try out my Ice Climbers. Or I'll play Brawl and try out my Ice Climbers.

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
thanx ether. most of us do agree that Brawl is a bad game and MELEE is better.

toasty

Smash Hero
gahhhh Melee sunday? Oh man...I hope I can make it :( I'm going to say no, though. I MIGHT be able to do this during the daytime but I'll miss all the fun crazy **** that goes down at night [esp: CREWS!] *sigh*

I played a lot of Melee tonight. I think I'm in love again.

To reinforce something said before, though, playing Brawl extensively has made me better at Melee. It makes me think more about what I'm going to do and what I'm able to do in a given situation. It murdered my tech skill, but that only takes but so long for it to return...but it definitely improved my mindgames and WOOOOW did it improve my DI and teching!!! it's mindboggling. It really doesn't make sense. But yes. Melee is too good, still :)

OKAY, so these are the TVs that I have:
Koorii
O-NO
Slash
Victor [ODU guy]
Riku
My own [though it's small]
Zion
CNU(?)

PLEASE NOTE: if you have a really small tv (under 20 inches) , that's fine too, we'll just use it as a tv for friendlies! Those will be used for tournament only in a crisis situation [time constraints, other setups not working]

Wiis:
toasty
Koorii
Gum(?)
BLKG
Grim
Victor
BiosageX
Slash
CNU(?)
Hampton(?)

Powerstrips:
toasty (if I can find it >_>)
Caboose
Victor
Grim(?)
BiosageX(I think)
Koorii
Slash

uhhh....yeah, so I would be happy with one or two more guaranteed TVs, and an extra powerstrip wouldn't hurt

OH SNAP, COW!!! Since it's taking longer to replace my recording setup than I anticipated, do you think that you could [if you're not coming to the tournament] lend me the cables/gamebridge? Maybe give it to one of the CNU guys? It should work on my laptop since we had the same device. That would be beyond swell :) At the absolute least, I will have Losers/Winners/Grand Finals all recorded.

If anyone has any special requests to record their tourney matches, please let me know somewhat in advance. But you HAVE to be on point with documenting who's playing and also with stopping/starting the recording correctly. I don't have the time anymore to go through everything and edit **** down.

Thanks in advance :)

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
So much buildup for this weekend, can't wait :) Thanks to ODU for coming out Sunday night, and letting us face seemingly random mains.

Oh, and to R.O.B. bandwagon-players and haters alike: WHY ARE THERE SO MANY F#CKING ROBS NOW? All the ROB players this weekend better love those dittos as much as I do... there's a terrible little rumor going around that Sova will soon become swarmed with ROB dittos :urg:

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo CA! (for lowlifes that dont know) Teh Bea
Schoolie, i KNEW rob was too good the moment i played him. i also knew he was to be your main. that however would not stop me from wanting to play him though i currently dont.

"I think I'm free Sunday. I'll play some Melee and try out my Ice Climbers. Or I'll play Brawl and try out my Ice Climbers." ~ Ether

1) you aint coming foo V.V

2)Ics' all DAY!!! ^.^

Im working things out with my new venue and things are indeed looking up. Keep watch for mini tourneys soon as well as the MotST2 event.

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
<-- seemingly random main

also: it's confirmed that khalil isnt coming to gusto's this saturday so scratch him off the equipment lists

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
1. rob. rofl. haven't used him yet. i don't like him in mkds so i chose not to touch him. lol.
2. i want S-man money in melee
3. i can bring wii. (for toasty)
4. melee better so i'll go to tourney (at o-no's)
5. i'll go to slash's
6. it's all about snake and falco =]

toasty

Smash Hero
updated equipment list for my tournament:
TVs:
Koorii
O-NO
Slash
Victor [ODU guy]
Riku
My own [though it's small]
Zion
CNU(?)

PLEASE NOTE: if you have a really small tv (under 20 inches) , that's fine too, we'll just use it as a tv for friendlies! Those will be used for tournament only in a crisis situation [time constraints, other setups not working]

Wiis:
toasty
Koorii
BLKG
Grim
Victor
BiosageX
Slash
MaSHi
CNU
Hampton(?)

Powerstrips:
toasty (if I can find it >_>)
Caboose
Victor
Grim(?)
Koorii
Slash

Okay...I think I need one or two more TVs just to make this extra crazy awesome. that way people can bring their not-as-serious friends along [because some people already are] and they can watch AND play tons of friendlies :) of course there will be 4-6 setups as needed exclusively for tourney matches. Meaning: while the tournament is going on, NO ONE can play friendlies on those TVs. That way there won't be any back-up.

I hope to have more guaranteed Wiis than TVs just in case. So if you've said you're able to bring one, but you see that I don't even have enough TVs, still bring your Wii.

toasty

Smash Hero
awesome, thanks. How about a TV? Pleeeeaaaasee???? ;_____;

EDIT: if anyone has component cables for the Wii, that would help as well [and the ones that are actually made by Nintendo. My friend had some 3rd party stuff and the Wii wouldn't recognize it 100%. Picture was in B&W and the Wii wouldn't allow you to change the settings to 480i]

Serpent, can you make it to the tournament? I think you're the only person other than me who has these.

EDIT#2: gahhh, okay, Biosage can't bring a powerstrip. I need like a couple more, please. Cmon, just unplug your computer/router/modem/phone/soundsystem for ONE day and do me this huge favor please

<3<3<3<3<3<3

whodat

Smash Apprentice
You guys hype up R.O.B waaaaaaayyy too much. Yes he's good, but **** you act like he's unbeatable. In any case DragonCharlz and I may show up to the tourney. It all depends on how I can manipulate my work schedule.

O-No I haven't forgotten the money that I owe you. I ended up having to take my gf to ODU immediately and forgot to give you the $5 so hit me up when I see you next.

Also the date has been set for the next SoVA monthly. We had a decent showing last time and I'm hoping for more this time. Maybe O-No can pick up another character in 15 min and come away with a win lol.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4357411#post4357411

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
i know this isnt the place to ask, but does any1 wanna play brawl online?

i figure y wait for tourneys when u can work up skill on the weekdays

dobee

Smash Apprentice
Oh I defintely have a powerstrip... and a wii if you want me too. But my tv is a 15" lcd and i don't have component cables... so yeah lol. But i can bring them all if you want me too.

Top Bottom