• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Its not been decided that any one rule set is the best (stage wise). this game is still new. i mean i for one dont think that Frigate Orpheon should be ever be banned AT ALL. It flips, big deal, QQ sova.
I literally couldn't have said it better myself.

and just to frustrate otis a little more :) Who all is going to Senko's tourney on Saturday? Bring your friends! Win money! Play CNU's ****, ****... **** crew

Also, new phone :) 757 404 8878

Texting your numbers to me would be a fantastic way to stay in touch with me, or contact me should you ever be stranded in Newport News or Pova and find yourself wanting some smash/lovin'.

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
though this is the Sova thread of choice for casuals, random conversation, and small gatherings, aside for my tourneys (since this is my thread and all) OTHER TOURNEYS, GATHERINGS, SMASHFESTS, AND SO FORTH, SHOULD HAVE A THREAD MADE BY THE HOSTER!!!!

ALSO, theres a LOT of tourneys going down as of late. i mean brawl is still fresh and EVERYONE wants to be pro.

TOURNEYS WILL OVERLAP! and more than that, EVERYONE WILL NOT HAVE THE SAME RULE SET!!!!

it has not been decided that any one rule set is the best (stage wise). this game is still new. i mean i for one dont think that shadow moses, Frigate Orpheon, OR Sky world should be on AT ALL. then again, these are NOT MY rulesets.

and FYI, ill be going with C3 rule sets unless a more popular one comes out.
Our bad Otis. No excuses to be made here, we did not mean to thread hijack once again. Once talk of this tourney is finished (it's only a few days anyway...hence the reason our late ***** posted in this thread) we won't do it anymore.

SchoolieDee, your compliant about counterpick stages is of course valid. It was just a general consesus we found, but what is your list? We're trying to be open here. We off course have it so that if both players agree on a non-listed counterpick stage (unless it should be blatantly be banned, such as New Pork City, 75m or any of the old banned Melee stages) then it will be played. I will say I personally see nothing positive about Picto Chat at present.

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo CA! (for lowlifes that dont know) Teh Bea
I literally couldn't have said it better myself.

and just to frustrate otis a little more :) Who all is going to Senko's tourney on Saturday? Bring your friends! Win money! Play CNU's ****, ****... **** crew

Also, new phone :) 757 404 8878

Texting your numbers to me would be a fantastic way to stay in touch with me, or contact me should you ever be stranded in Newport News or Pova and find yourself wanting some smash/lovin'.

why would that frustrate me? i still need to learn this game. this is just another chance for me to learn new things.

Cow

Smash Apprentice
er, just because its been mentioned incorrectly a few times, just pointing out that sen's tourney is on a sunday.

we'll see if i can make it. 3 should be late enough..

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
SLASH's THUNDERDOME

DATES: SAT APRIL 12, 19, and 26
(following Toasty's tourney when we get kicked out)

"I Fight For My Friends"

Come play some friendly competitive Brawl at my place three weekends in a row.

Time: People can start showing up around 2-3pm and we will def play into the night

Venue fee: $5 (food/drink included)

General rules: Same as Toasty's, You break it, you buy it, you get out.

SET UPs AND EXTRA CHAIRS would def be a help if a lot of people show up.
I have four TVs to use and at least two wiis to use.

More details to come. Hope everyone can make it.
Cell-7578399426

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Anyone wondering why ive dubbed this next event im hosting "gamers war"?

ive yet to work out the details, but one thing is for sure. in hopes to get players to play more games im going to have an "over all pot". this means that the person who wins the most tourneys over the course of the weekend gets a side pot that will be set aside. this pot will be broken down 70/20/10 and if this goes as planned will be a bigger pot that any single tourney that weekend.

since i KNOW everyones mainly coming for brawl, the brawl entry fee is going to be 10$ (step it up sova, no b!tching about this) with melee at 5$ and all other MAIN games at 5$

this means CVS2, MVC2, Tekkken5, 3rd strike.

non main event games that are yet to be picked will be 2$ entry with 1/2 the overall pot going to the the weekend champ.

2$ from every head in the brawl tourney will also go into this pot with 1$ from all other main games going into this pot also.

1-3rd place in any one tourney will get weekend points. the player with the most wins at the end of the weekend gets the big pot.

the other side games have yet to be picked and there is NO limit to how many games we play.

the only rule is that it be a fighting game with a rule set that EVERYONE PLAYING agrees on.

sound fun?

discuss.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
though this is the Sova thread of choice for casuals, random conversation, and small gatherings, aside for my tourneys (since this is my thread and all) OTHER TOURNEYS, GATHERINGS, SMASHFESTS, AND SO FORTH, SHOULD HAVE A THREAD MADE BY THE HOSTER!!!!
This one is literally my fault.

Slash: Hey toasty, how should I go about hosting something and getting people in SoVa to come?
*toasty and Slash discuss*
Slash: Should I make a separate thread for my events?
toasty: naw I don't think that'll be an issue. Just post on O-NO's thread. Most of the SoVa regulars check that as opposed to Atlantic North anyway. *insert something to the effect of not wanting a bunch of randomass people showing up your first time hosting something larger*

I'll be quiet now >_>

toasty

Smash Hero
god****it, blame this person in a ROB thread I was talking to. There were a few MD/VA people there and I mentioned going to C3 at the end of May and I said "May 24th? 25th? something like that" and he goes "oh you mean this one? It's on the 19th(, not the 25th)" and links me to the one for APRIL 19th but I didn't read the thread title and so I was like OH WORD I'LL BE THERE.

and then I looked again and it said 4/19/08 and I was like................................god****it. Not again. ;____;

I'll be tired as shiiiit from two plays on saturday and a Salsa/hip hop dance party all night into sunday morning...but I might show. Not for teams though. Also, Schoolie: could you do me a huge favor and send me a list of your neutrals, counterpicks, and bans (well, obviously that's everything else >_>)

Kitsune, I didn't wanna rush you, but my boss really wants that flyer soon. I really appreciate you helping though =D And like I said, I got you on venue

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
Due to talking with SchoolieDee and some second thoughts, the stage list for the tournament has been altered. Maybe this one will be more agreeable to all.

Just a foreword that any extra setups you all may bring would be great. Only have one so far, and even though the room we have used for the tourney is small, I'm certain we could get by with four . I've caught wind of a PS2 Tekken Tag tourney going on in the some room and if that happens we might be dropped down to two if only for a bit. Not sure yet on that situation.

Wish to see as many as that can make it out there. Let's make this Sova BRAWL tourney real as can be.

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
To avoid both confusion and private messages, I thought I'd just post our stagelist here. Since it's likely people will be using this list, or a similar one, it'd be good to start practicing on some stages that you might not have considered using. This might also give us a chance to see what everyone thinks about the stages, as well as giving me a chance to defend our list from criticism :)

CNU Stage Selection

Random Select:

-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Lylat Cruise
-Yoshi's Island
-Halberd - possibly counterpick...

Open for Counterpick:

-Pokestadium 1
-Corneria
-Brinstar
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Seige*
-Rainbow Cruise
-Jungle Japes
-Pirate Ship*
-Green Greens*
-Pictochat* (I will defend this to the grave)
(don't think I forgot anything... >_>)

Still under Counterpick debate:

-Luigi's Mansion- most likely banned... yeah, there's a 99% chance of being banned
-Norfair - this is pat's idea, I'm against it, but I can see why it might be legal
-Frigate Orpheon - no tether recovery >.<

* These stages are most likely to be removed from our list by people using it >_>

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
ATTENTION SOVA.

i have found a venue.

the details are not worked out yet, but i need to know everyones feelings (including TR and any other out of town players that may come) to drop feed back on a LOCK IN TOURNEY.

overnight, yep. i can hold whatever tourneys i want, all night and give cash payouts. the main thing is ill need ALOT of players if not EVERY player to show up. the venue is NOT cheap.

if all goes well this could turn into a monthly deal. let me know whats up.

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
To avoid both confusion and private messages, I thought I'd just post our stagelist here. Since it's likely people will be using this list, or a similar one, it'd be good to start practicing on some stages that you might not have considered using. This might also give us a chance to see what everyone thinks about the stages, as well as giving me a chance to defend our list from criticism :)

CNU Stage Selection

Random Select:

-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Lylat Cruise
-Yoshi's Island

Open for Counterpick:

-Pokestadium 1
-Corneria
-Brinstar
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Seige*
-Rainbow Cruise
-Jungle Japes
-Pirate Ship*
-Green Greens*

-Luigi's Mansion- most likely banned... yeah, there's a 99% chance of being banned
-Norfair - this is pat's idea, I'm against it, but I can see why it might be legal

* These stages are most likely to be removed from our list by people using it >_>

Delfino is supposed to be neutral and Halberd is supposed to be counterpick.
Jus wondering, Y Pictochat? I don't have anything against it considering that I use Green Hill as my counterpick sometimes :laugh:

The_Doug

Smash Ace
ATTENTION SOVA.

i have found a venue.

the details are not worked out yet, but i need to know everyones feelings (including TR and any other out of town players that may come) to drop feed back on a LOCK IN TOURNEY.

overnight, yep. i can hold whatever tourneys i want, all night and give cash payouts. the main thing is ill need ALOT of players if not EVERY player to show up. the venue is NOT cheap.

if all goes well this could turn into a monthly deal. let me know whats up.

Sounds good to me. I'd really like to hit up a Brawl tourney and see how the competitive game has shaped.

KitsuneKing

Smash Journeyman
toasty- the flyer i made was pretty crap, but i know how im gonna design a different one. i'll get it churned out as fast as possible.

toasty

Smash Hero
Kits: sounds good man. So long as I get it in before the 2 week mark [uh...I guess that gives you a couple days, though if I get it to him on Sunday I think he'll live], then it's all good

EDIT: DOUG. You should keep an eye out on your schedule for going up to NoVa for a Brawl tourney at the end of May. Maybe around the 24th? I'll ask Tope if he knows a specific date yet. I'm going to be driving up, and I'll probably be staying somewhere between Richmond and NoVa the night before so we can get to the tourney on time without having to leave early as **** in the morning. Otis, if you need a ride to that, I got you. Ether: you're going haha.

But yeah, Doug, I remember Chu had been asking a few weeks ago if someone from SoVa could bring you to a tourney up there to hang out etc

so here's advanced-as-**** notice :)

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Delfino is supposed to be neutral and Halberd is supposed to be counterpick.
*later in that same post*
I use Green Hill as my counterpick sometimes
You took your validity, found the nearest dumpster, and threw it right into the trash ;)

We don't have Delfino on random because of the potential wall infinites and walk-off boundaries, and with rob's and ddd's, that gets a little gay. And for the time being, Halberd will remain on CNU's random list, until we see considerable, match altering, skill-independent ****** from mk's ship, which... only seems to happen to bowser >_>

edit: <3 riku

Cow

Smash Apprentice

CNU Stage Selection

Random Select:

-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Lylat Cruise
-Yoshi's Island

Open for Counterpick:

-Pokestadium 1
-Corneria
-Brinstar
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Seige*
-Rainbow Cruise
-Jungle Japes
-Pirate Ship*
-Green Greens*

oh wow, i was about to be pissed that halberd was banned. i didn't imagine it would be in the neutrals, and didn't see it in counterpicks, and was gonna yell.

anyway, i don't have a problem with pictochat, but if you have both pictochat and delphino plaza, then i demand warioware. delphino has dedede friendly walkoff edges just like warioware, and the random **** isn't much worse than pictochat. if you can't deal with several seconds of invincibility or increased size on your opponents part, that's a shame. And neither of the other levels mentioned has Mona Pizza or Ashley's song.

Now, corneria seems like a completely protected level from bans, but anything with a wall is dedede ban territory. Admittedly i haven't tried infinite throwing here, but i can't imagine it not working out in his favour.

and i kind of view norfair and frigate as a pair. frigate is tether hell, but norfair is tether heaven. one but not the other probably favours a certain type of recovery. Though, frigate has much less outside interference.

edit: actually, wait. no electroplankton? =(

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
Seriously, I'm not trying to be a jack ***....but can I just get a

"I can come ______ day!"
"I can come ______ day, but not _____ day"
"I can come everytime!"

You can copy and paste those if you wish, just fill in the dates.

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
About the venue, TELL YOUR FRIENDS, SUPPORT THE SOVA SCENE!!!

its a new game store that opend up in Chesapeake.

the venue will actually cost me nothing, but the game store needs to make at least 300$ off venue to break even for having the store open, and paying for an employee to stay with us all night.

the venue has a BUNCH of tvs that we can use. the only thing about that is there HD ~.~; i have told them about the issues with the lag and they agreed to let me have players bring in there set ups so long as we get the venue back in order by morning. if set up right, we still should be able to use the hds for brawl i think.

normaly they charge 15$ a person for a lock in and you must have atleast 20 people or so. but they said they would let me get it for 10$ a head since im there go to guy as far as tourneys and pro lv gaming goes.

im trying to do this like C3. monthly all kinds of fighters, done right, with CASH payouts. IN SOVA ^.^

but im gonna need every player i know to come, and for them to try and get players like chillin, m2k, chu, and others to come. this will help increase the over all player interested in coming just to play some of the best comp out there.

needless to say brawl and melee will be 10$ singles and 20$ teams. players need to be able to make money in order to wanna to come out here.

The_Doug

Smash Ace
Kits: sounds good man. So long as I get it in before the 2 week mark [uh...I guess that gives you a couple days, though if I get it to him on Sunday I think he'll live], then it's all good

EDIT: DOUG. You should keep an eye out on your schedule for going up to NoVa for a Brawl tourney at the end of May. Maybe around the 24th? I'll ask Tope if he knows a specific date yet. I'm going to be driving up, and I'll probably be staying somewhere between Richmond and NoVa the night before so we can get to the tourney on time without having to leave early as **** in the morning. Otis, if you need a ride to that, I got you. Ether: you're going haha.

But yeah, Doug, I remember Chu had been asking a few weeks ago if someone from SoVa could bring you to a tourney up there to hang out etc

so here's advanced-as-**** notice :)

Toasty mate yeah I do want to go to a **** Nova tourney but I haven't had more than 1 day off in a row for a year now! Working my balls off for this company and I finally get a 9-6 shift plus the car debt is nearly gone.

The 24th might be possible for me, keep me updated.

haha I'd love nothing more than to hang out with Chu again and get my annual thrashing, although our matches are always fun or under interesting circumstances.

Cow

Smash Apprentice
the venue will actually cost me nothing, but the game store needs to make at least 300$ off venue to break even for having the store open, and paying for an employee to stay with us all night.
i hate to be a negative nancy, but there's not a chance in hell thats happening. and i'm assuming they can't run during the day because it would drive off normal business? Overnight doesn't really seem like an ideal time for a tournament. How big is the venue? it needs to hit 30 people to break even, can it comfortably accomodate that many people? I guess it varies, but most game stores are godda.mn tiny. as a point of referencce, i didn't consider Game On a venue capable of handling 30 people.

You know, i'm not sure why i'm being so down on this. I do wish you the best of luck all the same.

edit: you know, i'm really tired of the fact that simple swears are censored, but we can toss around gay and **** all day long like candy. i'm not saying they should be censored, but if the community is completely desensitized to referring to someone's sexuality as a generic negative, or one of the most appalling and damaging types of assault, maybe, just maybe i should be able to say da.mn.

toasty

Smash Hero
The only thing that worries me about this is the fact that it's an overnight lock-in. For some reason, people love FPS lock-ins and other LAN parties but I guess there really HAVEN'T been any smash lock-ins in the area for me to use as a point of reference...hmmm. Is there any way they would be willing to do this during the day? I hope this goes well...and I guess since C3 is happening so often, if we also offer a monthly tournament, Out-of-the-area people may not show up as frequently...maybe it should be like every 6 weeks? I don't know...we'll have to see how this one goes and how interested people will be in another one >_>

CStick

Smash Lord
phuck, smashboards was dead for me for about a week! my comp sucks balls.

I'm not much on brawl, but I'm willing to play any smash right now. Melee especially >.>

also...

XBL gamertag: CStick88

hit me up if you're up for ****** people in CoD4

whenever I get a dayum break from work and school, I'll be back in the SoVA scene. If anyone is free tomorrow or Saturday afternoon, lemme know if you wanna play before i go to work

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Sova is hilarious.
how so? is it because you think we CANT pull of a tourney of this stature, or because ive opend up a chance for sova to do something big and no one seems like they care?

Regardless, im still going full on forward with this. note the tourney does NOT have to be a lock in. it could very well be a normal day time event. Im still rolling over ideas with the owners and a lock in sounded great to me. the reason being that if i do a lock in id get the whole store to do what i want with, rather than just one room that can fit like 4 tvs.

ill get more information as i get time to go there and roll ideas over with them, but if sova wants a tourney worth going to, with players worth playing, THAT IS CLOSE, im gonna need a little support.

otherwise let me know know, i CAN and WILL just do Street fighter and other games.

thanks from all the players that are giving feed back thus far (good and bad)

Cow

Smash Apprentice
how so? is it because you think we CANT pull of a tourney of this stature, or because ive opend up a chance for sova to do something big and no one seems like they care?
don't let Tope get to you. Tope can't feel feelings.

Top Bottom