• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

Serpent

Smash Apprentice
Ah, sorry Toast, I assumed you wanted to buy a meal. ;) I suppose I didn't know you showed up early.

Ours were timed, all items, random characters. I got to semi-finals, my friend won it. I hate GameStop... and the way they explained the rules "anything goes, timed, random character on battlefield--you know, so it's fair and people don't choose the best character." Logic is fun. Pricks.

dobee

Smash Apprentice
I signed up for the tournament and didn't even get to play... they did not let me in the first bracket and did not start a second 1 due to "time constraints"... I was one of the first to sign up too... oh well.

CStick

Smash Lord
well, got my copy of brawl. So far I'm not very thrilled with it.

its pretty much like the original SSB. everyone floats and falls at the same speed, and the movement engine doesnt allow for anything like it does in Melee.

so far, brawl = bad first impression. I got a first-impression feeling that melee sure as hell will not be going anywhere any time soon.

just thought i'd inform ya guys.

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
I ***** with Ike. All i did was tilts, U-Smash and F-Smash. I killed one dude while he was behind me with Ike's U-Smash. It was so ****.

Plus I had a reason 4 trying to win. It was too F**kin cold outside so they kept the winners inside :laugh: and the losers had to GTFO!!

Wiggles

Smash Cadet
Ether took First at Southern Shopping Center in Norfolk. Good **** man. Good way to start with brawl.

On that note, I watched all of his matches, and it seems like he's been playing it for quit a while.

Pure natural.

After 6 hours of continuous, rigorous gameplay, I find it to be quite amazing

Brawl is phenominal.

I haven't even started SSE yet. That comes later today, when I wake up.

Everything I've done with it so far is so good.

You won't have to worry about battlefield shenanigans anymore, but FD will **** you.

***Spoilers***

Marth has not been nerfed. As far as I can tell, his range is very close to the same. I was worried that his short hop being higher meant less fairs. Not true. The first fair hits Lucas, and the second one tips nicely at low percentages.

Fox is still amazing. Technically, you can jump cancel the shine, but he doesn't jump out of it. It's weird, just try it. Still spikes. Aerials have little to no lag, comboing is easy.

The only thing nerfed about C. Falcon is the knee. It's harder to sweetspot.

Pit is decent, and his lack of good KO moves is made up the most phenominal recovery in the game.

More when I unlock the rest.

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
I still haven't slept yet. I lost my first round of the brawl tourney to a samus because i couldn't handle the ****ing control scheme lol. i've unlocked every character but toon link and wolf. only 100 versus matches to go! luckily though, 1 hp stamina mode with the flower on exists to make this process smooth.

impressions:
zero suit samus and pokemon trainer are love
lucario doesn't make any ****ing sense
dedede is ****
olimar is one gay mother****er
donkey kong is ****?!

CStick

Smash Lord
thats why I said it was a first impression. I'm still gonna keep trying to get used to it, since I wasnt exactly thrilled with melee at first either, but I can sense alot of broken coming our way very soon :p

just kinda disappointed that they nerfed the physics and movement, though :(

but now it means Ether wont corrode control sticks from drillshines, so I guess thats nice

Ether

Smash Ace
Thanks for the kind words, Wiggles.

I haven't won, yet. We have to finish the second bracket, and I guess I play winner of that bracket (there were too many people, so we split it into two brackets).

But it was pretty sweet coming out of the store after winning Bracket 1 and screaming, "Squirtle Squad all day!! Squirtle Squad all day!" The crown got riled up; it was awesome.

Good **** to Riku and Russ for their wins. Let's make SoVa know the name SS.

O-NO - You'll get 'em next time. Also, I can't go up to Richmond. Bracket 2 will be run next Saturday, so I may have to take that day off and work Monday instead. So Tope, I'll $mm you next time.

Isra - you are a trooper for staying true to your promise of unlocking everything really fast.

Where the hell is Cyrain in this thread?

Marth is godly. I don't think Fox and Falco stand much of a chance in this game. EVERYONE IN SS MUST USE POKEMON TRAINER AS A SECONDARY. Level up yo squirtle til it's a mutha ****in Blastoise, son.

Also, I agree with CStick. This game is nothing but bells and whistles--all flash and no substance. At least, that's the first impression. The lack of fluid movement kills me. We should always throw Melee tourneys with Brawl tourneys. Melee should not go away.

Toasty, I don't know if you played Brawl yet, but Lucas and Ness don't seem overwhelmingly good. Pikachu was pretty pimp.

That's about it so far.

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo CA! (for lowlifes that dont know) Teh Bea
Well, i kinda just woke up. and somehow...some effing how.... theres a Wii on my floor with Brawl in it.......

TR i love you, but i dont think ill be heading out there today....

i AM off Friday saturday next weekend tho. and i get payed that weekend so it would be better for me to come then anyway, if you still want me there ^.^;

GS to all the SS that won GS tourneys. BTW, russ, ether, riku. did they let you guys use GC controllers?

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
I ***** with the Wii Mote. Taunted 4 every kill and yelled Squirtle Squad when I won it all.

O-No since a wii appeared at your place u down 4 smash 2day?

Arsenal Russell

Smash Cadet
me neither- we had random character too and i got bowser and had to **** with nunchucks. Shield grab is the way to **** in sudden death. At the end i was like this is squirtle squad B*****S and i just ownd yall with bowser. Get *****!!!

Ether

Smash Ace
Good stories, guys. I wonder how the CNU guys did, as well as the rest of TR.

Hey, my certificate says the next round is somewhere in Hampton. What do yours say?

O-NO, wanna spar with me in Brawl? Let me know, man. Tomorrow's my only day off.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
At a glance, Lucas has a lot more potential than Ness does. I'm not terribly concerned about either. Lucas will be one of my mains because I simply love using him and I seem to have a knack for the way he moves. I will however learn Ike, stay Marth. One character I LOVED using right off the bat was Olimar. Wow.
PT will be a work in progress. Zamus is also good ****.

And once I get a handle on how to make the best of Brawl physics for his movements....

Pika ****ing Pika.

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
Mine is in Hilltop. I think Russ has the same spot as me.
BTW who'd u use Ether?

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
ROB is a sexy ,sexy bot.

ummm, im all kinds of off, ill be playing SSE and maple story all day tho. Ether, if you wanna get a few matches in im down. drop by around 5pm.

Lisa and Kits can come also for teams, but thats all. im not trying to host anything big today.

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
None of TR advanced due to various forms of nonsense like tope losing all of DDD's jumps from one hit off the ledge, no one could handle the wii mote, free-for-alls with items on, wtf final smashes are so OP it's not even funny, etc.

My further impressions:

-I really really really like this game. ATM it's no where near as technical or competitive a game as melee, and may never be; HOWEVER, I'm enjoying it just as much as melee and have enjoyed plenty of really close matches that were incredibly intense, fun, and let me say fun again for emphasis.

-The stages are bizarre, a lot of them seem really detrimental to certain characters, like the frigate orpheon for tether recovery users, so I can't wait to see how the stage banlist eventually works itself out.

-Character balance is odd. There doesn't seem to be a large a gap in potential as there was between say pichu and fox in melee, but certain characters are clearly top tier. I'm looking at you marth and olimar. But once again, like melee, it seems that anyone can beat anyone in the hands of a skilled player: soooo many characters have potential to do crazy things, from sonic's superfast tech-chasing, dedede's off the ledge wall of pain, metaknight's combo ability, and the wonderful new shield system, we should have enough to be toying around with for months if not years to come.

-My favorite character is pokemon trainer; ****** someone with charizard and then doing the wing flare and roar taunt is the most satisfying thing in the game so far lol. Plus there's the victory pose where PT gets down and hugs Ivysaur, and if that ain't the most heartwarming **** you've ever seen, then you're mentally imbalanced. I'm best with ike though and his fsmash makes me giddy like a schoolgirl, but am intrigued with a number of other characters including zamus, wolf, toon link, metaknight, fox, ROB, pit, marth, dedede, the list goes on. The character roster is really awesome, and despite some lost potential (WHERE'S MY KNUCKLES?! ;_; ) I'm really pleased with it.

-Go ahead and do the quick method for unlocking characters if you don't mind gimping the game in a way. It really doesn't take that long in the grand scheme of things and requires like no effort at all lol.

-Due to the decrease in technical skill required at the moment, I can play with rumble on again. **** yeah.

-I can't wait to play SoVa in brawl. I love you guys and I love this game.

Edit: signaure updated to reflect new character choices?!

KitsuneKing

Smash Journeyman
ROB is a sexy ,sexy bot.

ummm, im all kinds of off, ill be playing SSE and maple story all day tho. Ether, if you wanna get a few matches in im down. drop by around 5pm.

Lisa and Kits can come also for teams, but thats all. im not trying to host anything big today.
i get off work at 9... is that too late?

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
From hearing all these bad tourney rules, it seems that I had the most slack rules. I had 2min tourney mode 1v1, no items, wii mote, loser goes back into the cold, winner stays inside.

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
I do love MetaKnight, but I still intend to try and main wolf or Diddy...We shall see.
Bah! I'll fix it sometime today I guess. Wolf's easier to work with anyways though, since metaknight's all short and round and seems kind of out of place lol. You unlocked him yet? Only 450 versus matches. : D

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
Important!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALRIGHT SOVA! (and TR <3) Thanks to Wiggles's assertiveness, there may be a tourney venue for us. Whether we can use it is now up to me and all of you. Here are some factors to consider. I'm going to talk to the owner [my boss, actually] of the venue and work out a couple money details, but that's the least of the worries here. He's willing to try this once. There would be a 5 dollar venue fee; complimentary endless fountain drinks are available. There is a possibility of having 4 TVs so this would require 4 Wiis and copies of the game [don't think this will be too much of a problem]. I need to check out the TVs they've got and if the lag-calibration feature on Brawl seems to be effective, and if the seating arrangements are satisfactory, then we'll only need Wiis. At the same time, I'll see how viable bringing even MORE setups is.

Each event will be $5 per person. Assume that the SoVa ***** Rule is in effect.

Here's the catch: Unless this happens on a tuesday or...wednesday (I think?), the only times we can do this is from 10-5 PM. This venue is actually a bar and other than those two nights, the bar is open for business and starts setting up at 5. Thus: we can't be there.

Most people won't want to show up at noon for a tournament. Most people won't show up at noon even if the time was listed as such. That won't leave much time for a good tourney on a regular basis. You know how it is: people want friendlies before. People want teams. People may want crews. People definitely want friendlies afterward. Singles end up being the shortest part of the entire tournament day.

Here's the silver lining: We can have one massive singles tourney for Brawl only. It'll be the first big SoVa Brawl tournament. And it'll give so many people a chance to show what they've got so far since everyone has started fresh. I mean even in NoVa this past weekend, 2 Melee "nobodies" won the Brawl singles and doubles tournaments at ChuDat's place [he got 9th]......so it's anyone's game. Not just Ether or Tope, etc.
OH and the other silver lining: go next door and get yourself some deliiiiiiccccious pizza, pasta, or even MEXICAN food! a la Gusto's! They're the people who catered Epic Madness 3 at my place and O-NO's March of the Side Tourneys.

OKAY SOVA! What do you think? Would you join me in welcoming the game to the scene with one massive Singles tournament? This will be going down at the end of the month while things are still relatively fresh. I mean hell, we could even do this next weekend or the weekend after that! So I need answers. Honest ones. Not just hype based. If this event falls through, it'll be because of you. Which is to say: the venue is guaranteed once, and according to my boss's conditions.

now back to the post I was originally typing

I wish I had the time to main like...8 characters. Stupid real life :( I hardly have time to main one. And even that'll have to wait until I can get a Wii ;____; Oh and Snake on teams with Smashballs on is ridonkulitis.

And **** those sample custom stages that were on random yesterday.

Serpent

Smash Apprentice
I am completely down for any sort of Brawl tournament. I have class until 2:00PM on weekdays, takes me 30 minutes or less to go to downtown Norfolk. I can bring a Wii with Brawl, and I could even bring an extra TV if it is welcome, it's already in my car from Friday.

It'll feel so good to have a tournament without GameStop rules. I think stage banning should be taken into consideration, even if not "official." I've been seeing 3 stock, 6 minute matches in competitive tournaments elsewhere.

Also, a bunch of people on SmashBoards (mostly younger kids who joined for Brawl) are making topics about how Smash balls should be tournament legal. If that happens, I'm boycotting any tournament with that rule.

Also, what is "the SoVa ***** Rule?" I've only been to three SoVA events in the past three years.

Wiggles

Smash Cadet
Also, what is "the SoVa ***** Rule?" I've only been to three SoVA events in the past three years.
The SoVa ***** Rule is that when you come to a fest, you must participate in at least 2 events, whether it be crews, singles, or doubles.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
For anyone who came over to my place on release night and helped us own the bajebus outta the wee morning hours with Brawl, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Let me know if you think it's a good place to hold tourneys cus I would love to host a good Sova tourney if needed.

I really enjoy snake...alot. He's an absolute beast.

Good **** guys. I love this game

unrealperson4564

Smash Apprentice
Virginia Beach, VA ; I think I'm becoming a Sonic
I'm loving this game so far. My little bro actually plays me again!
Stupid gamestop kept me from entering the tourney.
Ahh well at least I'll have fun with all the high school "I'm beast at dis game yo!" types.

See ya next time sova.

Oh, and as I'm typing this I have 400 something vs matches and all stages unlocked.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
hmm, so far i've played about 4hrs of brawl...it's fun but i don't feel very stimulated mentally..it's mostly spacing and camping so far..

i like pit's arrows for camping, but the lack of a kill move hurts a lot. Hopped angled arrow camping is too good for words

Metaknight seems extremely good except against people with superior aerial range to him..once he hits he can keep the pressure on.. very nice move set...so far he's the most fun i've had playing.

Marth is beast as always...i feel like i've played best so far with him...plays almost the same as melee..minus the combos.

Ike is ok..i don't feel he's as good as marth..but roling + jabs really is beast with him..watch the azen matches to get an idea...

I haven't really played most of the others yet...i'm focusing on people i consider likely to make top tier (ike is not in that list, but he looked cool).

my roommate plans to main olimar..olimar seems pretty good overall..marth deals with it better than most i think..just swat the little guys away

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
At this time, I can say with overwhelming confidence that my character of choice will be...

R.O.B. He is easily the funniest, most interesting thing that I've ever seen in any smash game. Adding to his general personality, he brings afterburners, lasers, robo-edgeguarding, and even old-school Tops into the brawl world, all while rolling around and using ridiculous taunts. Easy gimps, a wait-i'm-still-alive recovery, and a special that screams, "im gay f#ck you" make this character unstopable.

A side note... what is the opposite of "b-o-r-e"? r-o-b :)

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Toasty, if its a tourney, im down for it.

I knew schoolie would like R.O.B. I also think R.O.B is quite amazing. using him is a joy.
Ike * shakes head*, all the power of every kids hopes and dreams are in that blade. He seems to hate kids AND there dreams. as such he hits things with that sword as if he wants it to shatter on impact.

i have played EVERYONE in the game....and i still dont know who id play in tourney due to the basic play style this game has. Melee, thus far, is CLEARLY a more tournament worthy game IMO.

Top Bottom