• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOVA, ITS 2010! Step ya Melee game up baby! <3

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
CNU is hosting a brawlfest/tourney in two weeks (the 29th or 30th). I'm taking advice on setup for the event, so no complaints when you go and dislike something because this is your opportunity to help us :)

WHEN ARE WE DOING CNU VS. ODU 2: BRAWL EDITION!? CNU's brawl team is so hot, ODU's is so... boring.
i think we should see how many people own a wii and brawl, then split thing up so we have a few setups 4 melee and a few 4 brawl. i can't think of anything else off the top of my head considering that i jus woke up and i have no booze to give me anymore ideas at the moment.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
gahhhh Schoolie you beat me to it. Buuuut unfortunately, what I'm planning may [read: should] have priority.

That weekend [I need to confirm if it's saturday or sunday with the venue owner] is when I'm hosting the first SoVa Brawl tournament.
I didn't want to officially announce it until I got a confirmed date so people could take off of work and such [and not take off for the wrong day]

I'm going to do my best [and request others do the same] to get the word out to ANYONE as a bunch of people will enjoy coming to a tournament when the game is so fresh [Read: everyone feels like they've got a shot....note "feels"]. It's only 5 dollars to enter [only singles tourney, due to time constraints] and 5 dollar venue [with good possibility of unlimited fountain drinks]

I will absolutely need:
5 Wiis
5 Copies of Brawl
5 Memory cards with all of the characters [and preference toward the unlocked ability to select which stages are on random]
3 Power Strips
maybe one Extension Cord
Several TVs [I don't know how much lag HDTVs have with Brawl when you set the Wii to the HD selection. I don't recall experiencing any, but I don't want to take any chances. Anyone have any info on that?]

If there IS lag and it gets in the way of playing, then I can't use the 3 TVs available to me at the venue and will kindly request that there be 5 TVs.

You might say it's stupid to have a tourney this early, but I think it'll be a lot of fun to get all of SoVa together and to see new faces as well. Anyway...CNU, I hope you support my idea :) And Schoolie, why do you have to cut to the core even when you're not serious :( We'll see about that crew battle for Brawl.

Don't know when I'll be able to play Brawl again [this paycheck was needed for...like actual important things. The next huge one will go toward my Wii :)]. Thanks anyway Slash

Cow

Smash Apprentice
Several TVs [I don't know how much lag HDTVs have with Brawl when you set the Wii to the HD selection. I don't recall experiencing any, but I don't want to take any chances. Anyone have any info on that?]

If there IS lag and it gets in the way of playing, then I can't use the 3 TVs available to me at the venue and will kindly request that there be 5 TVs.
It's definitely gonna vary from tv to tv. Generally speaking, having the wii output at 480p should help a good deal with lag, though its still likely to have some lag -- whether or not its noticeable on those particularly tvs, especially in brawl, is up to debate. The best thing to do is to go in there with a person or two and test it out yourselves. Make sure you've got component cables and the wii set to display in 480p, and see if anyone notices. Compare it to play on an sdtv if necessary. IF you've got amazing resources available to you, bring in two wiis, two wavebird receivers set to the same frequency, one wavebird, and one sdtv, and play side by side to compare.
Also, if the tvs in question have a 'game mode' (some color quality is sacrificed for the sake of getting the image to the screen asap), that's great as well. Though the biggest step in overcoming lag is getting to 480p rather than 480i.

But ultimately, just see if other people notice. I've been playing brawl on an hdtv almost exclusively(it's just too pretty not to), so the lag probably won't phase me.

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Anyway...CNU, I hope you support my idea :) And Schoolie, why do you have to cut to the core even when you're not serious :( We'll see about that crew battle for Brawl.
<3 Toasty
<3 ODU
<3 Sova

Maybe we could combine our noggins and make one amazing smashfest? ODU seems like a more convenient location for beach guys, but CNU has fantastic facilities, sooooo we'll see what happens.

toasty

Smash Hero
<3 Toasty
<3 ODU
<3 Sova

Maybe we could combine our noggins and make one amazing smashfest? ODU seems like a more convenient location for beach guys, but CNU has fantastic facilities, sooooo we'll see what happens.
hahaha...but don't forget, the point is: there WILL be an actual tournament that weekend. And it WILL be massive. As soon as I get the date confirmed [tonight or tomorrow], then we do mass marketing. haha, I doubt that'll happen, but PLEASE everyone do what you can right now to hype this up with your friends...casual/not-so-skilled/etc, anyone! Anyone who wants in on the first big SoVa Brawl tourney [the Gamestop ones don't count >_<]

It'll be at Time Lounge in Downtown Norfolk [directly across the street from MacArthur Mall, and it's on Granby Street]. It'll run from 12-5 PM, though I'll see if I can get the doors open earlier for anyone who wants to play and help out with setting up =D

Cow, thanks for the advice. I'll get on that. Also, you're so right: it's ****ing beautiful.
And I haven't noticed any problems at all. I can still powershield and other timing sensitive things haven't been difficult.

PEOPLE!!! Start calling out what you can give me out of my list of necessary resources!!! Especially memory cards with all the characters and WIIS!!!

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo CA! (for lowlifes that dont know) Teh Bea
Well, i WAS going to try and hos something soon...lol

well good shiz sova, ill do my best to be and one or both events. And though i dont find Brawl as Exciting as Melee....im still in it to win it.

Note, ive been playing WAY more maple story than Brawl ^.^

Ether, would you like to start the **** with me in Teams?

Cow

Smash Apprentice
Hey, this is off topic and lacking in hype, but does anyone have any ideas for me to find a store with a Wii?
ask around, particularly about shipments. Most stores get Wiis in on sunday, or at least put them up then. If a store has wiis in their sunday ad, its a pretty good bet they'll be getting a few. At this point most people don't have a problem telling you how many they're getting, even. I wanna say that gamestops are getting them on fairly random days anymore, so if you're planning to go there i'd definitely ask first. Though, they can be weird about what they'll tell you. Target, best buy, walmart, and toys r us are your best bets for a high stock. Circuit city probably does okay too. If you're going to a walmart, be sure to ask when they become available -- some 24 hour walmarts will sell them at midnight, so showing up early sunday morning won't help too much.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
So i'm finally starting to get more into brawl....becoming a marth/pit/PT main.

PT is mid tier..just warning any of you with delusions of grandeur...it is a rough life being a pokemon trainer in this world:\

my roommate is maining dedede. Are dedede's dthrow infinites (i hesitate to call it a chaingrab..it's closer to wobbling...dthrow dthrow dthrow..DI has no effect and dedede does not need to move) banned on the 5 or 6 char they work on?

if not, anyone who plays those char will be going out immediately to my roommate or forced to char counterpick..but maybe you should just believe the wobblers..just don't get grabbed;p

someone should come up and play us sometime...i'm sorta busy with school but even so...it seems WM has a decent brawl scene. I'm teaching new players, plus Jake mains lucas and Mark mains sonic. Mark's sonic is really good...we're 1 and 1 in the marth vs sonic matchup so far. But my PT got 3 stocked once and almost JV 3stocked the second time. haven't tried my pit yet.

my PT never beats dedede, my pit sometimes wins, my marth has won for the most part. Metaknight vs dedede is freaking hard for me...anyone have tips? other than camp grabs more..

KitsuneKing

Smash Journeyman
is anyone interested in buying a wii?

i have someone interested and is offering $280 for it. so please pm me or AIM me if you're interested or know someone that is. shankyu

cyrain, i love you.

Ether

Smash Ace
Cow - Thanks for the advice =)

O-NO - Yeah man, I'm down. I'm thinking of trying Maple Story, too.

KP - I'm in the same boat as you. Using Metaknight isn't as easy for me as I thought it'd be.

Cyrax - Melee 1v1s sometime??

Kitsune - You are selling a used Wii for more than the suggested retail value? What condition is it in? Can I buy it from you for $281? Is it still within warranty? If I buy it, do I get all your controllers? Or at least a nunchuck and wiimote?

Schoolie - I haven't seen the ODU smashers since before Brawl came out, so who knows what their line up is. The only info I have is the crew battle toasty posted.

KitsuneKing

Smash Journeyman
Ether, the Wii is brand new, and about a week old. still in the box unopened, so yeah its still within warranty. unfortunately its just the wii, nothing additional.

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
Anything goin on today or this week? I might get some drinks later, and I want to play Brawl with a buzz or play being tipsy.

toasty

Smash Hero
Jason I still don't know why you did that...although you have a guy willing to pay 280. Sorry but Ether, I was at the MacArthur GameStop on saturday morning and they had one new one and a used one [with nunchuck]. Call them.

EDIT: I know nothing substantial of ODU's Brawl scene. I've only played against a couple people and not even at length. I can't ever make it to the Lion's Den because I work every day until 6+.
From what I've seen/heard, ODU uses everyone.

...something like that.

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
SWEET JESUS CNU's brawl scene is on point. Can not WAIT for next weekend. cnu=domination

Toasty, get on aim sometime and we'll discuss this tourney, because cnu already has an evolving tourney ruleset. Let's mix it with yals. Any odu players trying to moneymatch? :)

toasty

Smash Hero
I don't think I was clear enough: I'm completely out of touch with most of ODU (I'm not even taking classes this semester). I know nothing of rulesets or actual mains, etc. Talk to someone else >_>...*looks at Ether*
I've only played against Khalil and David BLKG at length. And they use awesome characters ^_^

Cyrain

Smash Ace
Cyrax - Melee 1v1s sometime??
Oh god yes. Next time I am in SoVa or you are in Richmond, we should play some extensive melee as well as lots of Brawl. Cause personally, I just wanna keep playing melee, but everyone else around here is more focused on the new ****.

Ether

Smash Ace
Kitsune - Put the Wii you have on hold for at least 7 days. I might buy it for 300. That is, unless I find a GameStop that has one in stock for 250. So let me keep looking for a week, please.

The week after next is Round 3 of the GameStop tourney. I may not go to that anyway. I still may not go to CNU. I may very well squander every event until I get a Wii.

Once I do get a Wii, I plan on playing some intense matches with O-NO online. Now that I think about it, I know very little about the Wii. Does it have free online? Like, I can cancel my Verizon account? I heard the PS3 offers free internet. Cuz I mean, I may just buy a PS3, get Kingdom Hearts 3, and say to hell with brawl.

Cyrain, we should host Melee tournaments. I bet if people kept hosting them, Melee would never die.

Cow

Smash Apprentice
I definitely need to play real people, sans lag, in brawl, so i'm down for friday.

and ether, the free internet is just free service over the internet. you'll still need your verizon connection to use the service. And Kingdom Hearts 3 doesn't have fat men on motorcycles. Or pig chasing.

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
then save up for a PS3 much later down the road.
The PS3 has an onboard internet browser, but the internet access itself is external and provided through your verizon contract. Verizon might be your friend for awhile.

If CNU hosts smash friday night, who all would be game?

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
I played melee for the first time yesterday since brawl came out. I 2 and 3 stocked the people I was playing with.

I did not have fun.

Brawl > Melee IMO.

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo CA! (for lowlifes that dont know) Teh Bea
Honsetly cyrain, i dont have the money to spend the weekend in Richmond, let alone go to C3. i love to go tho ~.~

but that DOES however mean that ill be at CNU with the CNU crew seeing how i stack up even though i DONT own a wii and Maple story is slowly taking over my gaming life.

i will not let it take me, i am a fighter at heart.

I HAVE A NEW PHONE!!!!!!!!

PM me, call me, text, your numbers and what not.

757 343 1031

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
heh, when i played brawl for the first time, i thought:

I played brawl for the first time yesterday since it came out. In melee I could 2 or 3 stock people for playing this stupid. Why the hell doesn't this game have more methods of punishing predicted behavior.

This is boring.

However, while brawl is still far inferior to melee..that hasn't prevented me from clocking about 14 hrs in so far.
Maining marth, pit, metaknight, snake,
mid-tier: G&W and PT

characters ordered by my current perception of tiers. I feel snake could be off..i only started playing him today, so i don't really know hiw potential. I am guessing that he is not mid-tier though; certainly doesn't feel like it

if i'm free this weekend i will go to cnu..dunno how work will shape out.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
I played melee for the first time yesterday since brawl came out. I 2 and 3 stocked the people I was playing with.

I did not have fun.

Brawl > Melee IMO.
i hope ur not serious. ur a smart guy and you can reason better than that.

i might be at CNU Friday, though its been quite a while since i was there last. josh, room for 2? if so, i might need to be dropped off at shaden's place afterwards, but idk. its on the way back, however, on Richneck if you know where that is.

But lets not commit this to brawl alone. Melee > Brawl IMHO.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
For VaBeachians and Norfolks my place is usually always available on weeknights, while weekends depend on when I work, but I'm usually off around 9 at the latest.

We got 4 TVs (smallest is about 26-8 in)
One wii...

But yeah anyone who would love playing Brawl or even Melee are welcome to come over whenever I'm free. Besides playing with someone in person is a million times better than online. The lag online varies from little to having it feel like youre all in slo-mo...

PM me if ya want my phone number and don't already have it.

PS Ether I really wanna play with you again since I had hockey. Polite **** is a wonderful thing.

toasty

Smash Hero
I don't have time for extreme details

Semi Confirmed
(the venue guy is being a little nitpicky about the actual details with the money but that won't stop me from announcing it)

THE FIRST SOVA BRAWL TOURNAMENT! Saturday March 29th; Noon-5 PM Singles only.
Time Lounge, Granby St. in Downtown Norfolk

Top Bottom