• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Soul Calibur IV

Dav657

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else not like this game? It seems to me like the shielding never works. And they completly changed nightmare from SC2. Voldo seems to play different now. Or I just got to use to yoshimitsu. So am I the only one that prefers SC2>SC4?

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Character changes come with new games.
For instance, Talim changed.
She was my main from Soul Calibur 2.
I just have to get used to her new moveset.
I dunno.
I like Soul Calibur 4 -just about the same- as Soul Calibur 2.

xX Boezy Xx

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else not like this game? It seems to me like the shielding never works. And they completly changed nightmare from SC2. Voldo seems to play different now. Or I just got to use to yoshimitsu. So am I the only one that prefers SC2>SC4?
Nightmare actually made the drastic change from SCII to SCIII. He hardly changed at all in SCIV as compared to the last game.

In my opinion, SCII=SCIV>SCIII

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
This is coming out for PS2, as well?
GOD I wish so, so I don't have to purchase a PS3 exclusively for it, but sadly PS2's life is almost over so I don't think is gonna happen.

anyway here'as my info since my cousin happen to get this game for the 360 version which rocks btw.

Version Xbox360
GTag: GK
Main: Ivy, ALWAYS has been, ALWAYS WILL BE!!

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Version: ExBawks
Gamer Tag: Vanyamore
Mains (in order of proficiency): Rider[Create-a-Soul] (Ivy), Seung Mina, Sophitia, Rider[Create-a-Soul] (Taki), Shura (Cervantes)
Voice: Y
Okay, I'll add you.

This totally sucks.

My PS3 connects off a neighbors' internet, and the highest signal strength is 17%. I haven't gotten the lattest update, and when I try, it always loses the signal. Is there anyway I can increase the strength instead of just moving it around? Could my Wii be interfering if it's connected to the same neighbor? And yes, it's my only way to connect.

Program

Smash Apprentice
This is a wonderful addition to the SC library. I personally think the character roster this time around is lively. Character creation is slightly confusing at first, but rewarding, as well as the graphics and character stances. This is a fantastic game that I recommend to any PS3 or XBOX owner.

Mains: Genji [Create a Soul] (Mitsurugi), Setsuka, Darth Vader.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Asta and Xianghua got buffed.

Why did they buff two of the best characters from SC3?

Also, I stand corrected on Talim. She was buffed and looks pretty good.

Not impressed with Vader or The Apprentice. They are lacking in terms of good lows and safe pokes. Vader more so then The Apprentice.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
All I'm hoping for right now with Create-A-Soul is that you can unlock more faces. The anime eyes from Angol Fear would make an excellent addition to my custom characters.

Pengie

Smash Lord
I've been wondering something, how useful are Critical Finishes at a high level of play? From what I have seen they don't seem all that feasible to do in a match where both players are able to consistently Guard Impact.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I've never pulled off a Critical Finish inside of a real match.
It's just too hard to actually get the characters Soul Gauge down to blinking red.

[Edit]
Does anyone know if the achievements for doing something in battle apply to P1 and P2 matches?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
What's the story behind Yoda, Darth and Apprentice appearing?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Jumped the gun on Asta and X being buffed. They were nerfed in some ways buffed in others. But overall they aren't as dominating as they once were.

This Soul Caliber may very well be the most balanced version since the original. Alot of the top tier characters in previous games were nerfed while the lower tiered chartacers were buffed.

xX Boezy Xx

Smash Journeyman
What's the story behind Yoda, Darth and Apprentice appearing?
Their story is just a lame tie-in that hardly makes sense. Apparently at the end of the third game, after Nightmare and Siegfried battled, the power released from the two swords caused a "disturbance in the Force" felt by Yoda and Vader in their distant galaxy. Eventually, a rift between the dimensions appeared as a result of all that power and so Vader sent his apprentice to retrieve whatever was the cause of the power while Yoda went to investigate and try and stop the Apprentice from getting this power for the Empire.

I'm not exactly sure on the details of Vader's story because I have the 360 version, but I'm pretty sure it's similar to Yoda's and Starkiller's.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Yoda's story goes something like this:

"One day, Yoda sensed a disturbance in the Force. There was a dimension rift in Space somewhere. Yoda didn't think much of it. But then, Yoda could sense that Darth Vader was making his way to the rift, and was going to go through and acquire a great weapon. Yoda followed."

Yes, it's that bad.

Anyways, I rented the game, and it's pretty (I wish they'd lend out the engine it's so pretty), it's fun (to a point, like all fighting games) and it is button masharific. Or grabarific. You can beat any of the computers just by continuously just at them and grabbing them. They eventually MIGHT duck, but they get back up.

Tower of Souls was fun until I got to the 27-29 level. Most of the computers have Auto Grapple Breaks on, and Taki, the boss of the area, had Auto Grapple Break S on... meaning, she ALWAYS breaks your grab. Did I mention that these computers also had high Auto Impact bonuses on as well? They'd Guard Break almost every single move you threw at them, and when I got to Taki it seemed to want me to do a Critical Finish (which I've only managed to do once, with a friend in a player match where that's ALL we were trying to do), but I couldn't seem to Guard Break anything Taki would throw at me, and then either time would run out or she'd kill all of my characters. I eventually got lucky and got a Ring Out on her.

Critical Finishes are so god **** hard to pull off, and there's an achievement for doing 100 of them. I don't think I'd be able to do that, like, ever.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
There are way too many Kilik and Maxi players on XBL, seriously...

Hilde is really difficult to use, gotta get used to it...

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Hilde is really difficult to use, gotta get used to it...
Hilde's awesome, but yeah she be hard to use. Imo she can get combod too easily and its worse once you're on the ground. Fighting The Apprentice and Algor is pure hell.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Okay, added you!

I've changed my main to Amy. She has really great combos.

I've been using this as my main combo:

→→B+K>>←B+K

It's short, but if they block, it damages their soul gauge.

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
The online is actually pretty fluid, and thats when I played with someone from Quebec (and I'm in Florida).

Anyways, if anyone cares about my progress, I still suck :). But I've been messing with Raphael a bit and I made of a custom version of him so he may end up being one of the characters I use.

Currently I'm still testing all the characters out even though I suck. Still, I picked up Brawl pretty good after never playing Melee (although I did play some SSB) so I have hope.

I can't find a site with the same level of information as Smashboards for SC4, which kind of sucks for me since this is my first traditional fighter I'm trying to get good at.

So if someone could give me a few pointers, help me, or direct me somewhere helpful that would be really nice...

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I suppose SC can fall under "traditional fighters" except that the 8-way run system isn't very common (at least to my knowledge.)

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, I'm a Kilik main (since SC1 =D). But I only play player matches on PSN, if I ever do play online (rarely, in person comp is so much more fun) and I barely use A+B, 22_88AAA, etc. ;)

@ethanrodgers223: Online is playable at 5 bars, at 4 you get several frames of input lag (think Brawl online), and anything lower shouldn't be bothered with. To be honest, I think the netcode fudges with strict inputs a bit, because so far I can barely do FotD (Kilik's 236G+A, 46A, 41236B chain throw) from the 2p side in practice but I was hitting it almost everytime online. :ohwell:

@Unseen_Killa: http://caliburforum.com/forums/index.php

^ The competitive Soul Calibur community since SC2.

Unfortunately, the forum's software and database are quite old, so now that it's been getting mad traffic due to SC4's release, everything loads obscenely slowly.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Um, your combo logic is a little confusing.

And I want to play online, but my stupid PS3 has a poor signal. :(

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman
Combo logic? Do you mean the number notation for directions...?

Soul Calibur players use numbers to represent directions instead of half circle forward, back, down-forward, etc. like other fighting game communities. Sorry if that was semi-confusing... Nyawu breaks down SC notation (and SC4's system basics) really well here:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=940047&topic=44554339

Top Bottom