• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sorry for crashing Smashboards. I'm Zipzo. I played the release build demo of Smash 4. AMA!

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date

link2702

Smash Champion
not really liking some of these changes much.....

but if nothing else, if the game actually achieves some character balance this time I'll tolerate some of its more wonky sounding changes...

D

Deleted member

Does Ike have his Vanguard Armor as an Alt. Costume/Color choice?

[collapse=It looks like this if you don't know]

[/collapse]

Thank you for doing all of this by the way, it was quite nice of you.

Blucas

Smash Apprentice
If you use olimar's alph altcostume when he wins, does it says alph's name?

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
How does Sonic feel? is he better than Brawl? And is the white alt the only one that is different?

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
What are Meta Knight's pallete swaps? Also i apologize for asking this again but does Kirby fully copy Shulk's neutral special?

D

Deleted member 245254

Hey @Zipzo, I asked about the Assist Trophies and Diddy's colors. Can you tell what colors Diddy had as alts and were there any new Assist Trophies from the E3 Build.

EDIT: Sorry, it seemed you answered the ones with Assists apparently.
Diddy has no alternate costumes, just color swaps, unfortunately.
Thanks for doing this!
Do you think shulk will be viable?
Good heavens, yes. His sword has incredible range. He plays similarly to Ike in terms of his movements but a wee bit faster. Do not misinterpret this as me saying he's a clone of Ike, he's a completely fresh character, but I have pretty high hopes for Shulk.

His Up Smash is similar to palutena's but a bit smaller, his fsmash has a ridiculous hitbox infront of him. Changing to certain monado stances will make him faster, or stronger. Shulk is such a magnificently deep character it's almost mind-blowing to think what his top players will do with him.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
You say Sonic has white, black, and then a bunch of shades of blue for his colors. In the E3 demo these were the available colors:
Untitled-3.png

I am assuming by white you meant the silver one. Adding black that makes 5 colors we know in specific. The default (blue), purple, cyan/light blue, silver/white and black. Seeing as Sakurai said every character has 8 colors, this means that 5 out of Sonic's 8 colors are all just shades of blue (default blue, light blue/cyan and the other 3 which according to Zipzo are also shades of blue). And here I am hoping he would have actual colors this time :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@Zipzo You mentioned Fox having a re-color that looked similar to wolf, but also made it a point to say it's not a costume.

Note that in Brawl, Fox did have a color that made his fur darker. Are you sure this just isn't that happening again? I don't think this means anything in regards to Wolf being "deconfirned". Heck, I could see Wolf having an alternate color where he's brown like Fox!

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
I'll just echo what the rest of the members have been saying thus far and thank you once again.

My questions (All of which are Zelda related).

1. What is the time between releasing the special attack button for Din's Fire and it creating a hitbox?
2. Is Lightning Heel closer to Melee or Brawl (or, god forbid, Project M)?
3. Overall, how does Zelda feel to you, does she feel stronger in this than she did in Brawl?

You're free to answer or not answer these as you see fit, I have a lot more questions, but most of them are quite specific.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
How does Sonic feel? is he better than Brawl? And is the white alt the only one that is different?
"Yes. His up aerial has a better hitbox, it's wide. His up-smash has KO potential. His side-b ends with a kick. His spin dash is really fast. his side-b clamps to the ground, and zooms at your opponent. It really gives the feel like being a speedy little hard to hit sucker.

Unfortunately is bair has a bit more lag if you land during the kick, but his fair seems to have a really easy auto-cancel (or tech?) window."

That was an earlier response from zipzo a few pages back.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I'll just echo what the rest of the members have been saying thus far and thank you once again.

1. What is the time between releasing the special attack button for Din's Fire and it creating a hitbox?
3. Overall, how does Zelda feel to you, does she feel stronger in this than she did in Brawl?

You're free to answer or not answer these as you see fit, I have a lot more questions, but most of them are quite specific.
I've heard Zelda got even worse.

SonicSandStorm

Smash Rookie
Just curious, how was the music if you could hear it? Who do you think will be the most used in tournaments if there are any?
Also, thank you so much for your time.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
@Zipzo You mentioned Fox having a re-color that looked similar to wolf, but also made it a point to say it's not a costume.

Note that in Brawl, Fox did have a color that made his fur darker. Are you sure this just isn't that happening again? I don't think this means anything in regards to Wolf being "deconfirned". Heck, I could see Wolf having an alternate color where he's brown like Fox!
He already mentioned this, he specified it wasn't just darker fur, like the Dark Fox alt, but actually Gray Fur with a grey jacket & purple piping, almost exactly like Wolf's default colour in Brawl.

Last edited:

Savajin

Smash Rookie
One question again about Robin.

Are we able to charge his magic spells?

Giga Wario

Smash Journeyman
Were there any characters you felt were particularly underwhelming or weak from what you played? (aside from Marth)

Would also be helpful if we could hear anything about King Dedede if at all possible (not the Final Smash, just generally), although I highly doubt you or anybody who attended the event chose him.

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
Looking forward to that stream with Alax!

How does Charizard/Lucario's final smash work?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He already mentioned this, he specified it wasn't just darker fur, like the Dark Fox alt, but actually Gray Fur with a grey jacket & purple piping, almost exactly like Wolf's default colour in Brawl.
Ah, my mistake. This thread is moving along nicely and I missed that.

Did you notice any changes in Bowser since the E3 Demo, or does he seem relatively untouched? Also, any new alternate colors for him like the "Dark Bowser" outfit I heard people mention?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 245254

Again, it doesn't make his fur darker. It makes it straight up gray. In fact the tone of gray is actually lighter than his brown fur. It looks utterly unnatural. Everyone around immediately said "YUP WOLF IS CUT" when I showed it to them. It was so obviously contrasting to the rest of his alts it just seemed obvious it was an attempt to recreate wolf.

1. The explosion seems to happen more instantaneously from the point in which you "release" it.
2. Thunder heel feels a little nerfed but her recovery has some ridiculous kill power on it for some reason.
3. Her phantom attack is actually pretty cool but something to note is that it will not hit a character standing directly in front of you. It will start a model away from zelda and rush forward, completely ignoring the character standing in your grill. I haven't played Zelda all too often in previous iterations but she felt like a glass cannon, if you will. Each of her abilities seemed to really freaking hurt when connected, but she's pretty light.

Do you think you think this game will reward agressive play?
So this is a pretty tough question to answer so early on but...

The off-stage game will be more aggressive once people get comfortable with the new ledge mechanics. There is some crazy stuff going on with off-stage/ledge mechanics in Smash 4, and we've yet to even scratch the surface.

As for neutral game, the running speed is so high, so we're already off to a good start. Rolls are really strong, and tilts have amazing combo potential.

The only thing I'm a little miffed about are blast zones being a bit too big. This leads to characters surviving at rather high %s, leading to matches lasting maybe longer than they should. However this doesn't seem to affect the neutral game, it just means I think we should be starting with 3 stocks.

Attacking a shield seems much safer than before, and with rolls being strong it's easier to maneuver without worrying about getting caught. The interesting hit-stun in smash 4 seems to allow you to land a tilt or a combo opener without worrying about getting jipped simply because the other player is spamming a.

That's the one thing about Brawl I dislike, how the opponent is just NEVER too stunned to hit you in the middle of a combo, and that was definitely not present here in Smash 4.

So overall, I think aggressive play is being fervently supported with the tools we've been given, but I do feel slightly concerned about match time due to long stocks because of wide blast zones. This can be addressed through lessening stocks at worst.

Last edited by a moderator:

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
His knee hurts like a ***** but the landing lag is GINORMOUS. The fire uppercut seemed like a combo starter. It didn't have much knock back but kept the enemy close while letting you close in on them and get a few hits of damage.
When playing C. Falcon, did he feel like Melee or Brawl ? I read that you said Sheik and others characters feels like Melee. Which other characters gave you this effect ?

Luun

Smash Rookie
Were there any new stages that you could see?
I've been hearing rumors of a new Mother/Earthbound stage, so I'm wondering if there's any truth to that.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Does Lucario have a Gold alt and a white alt?

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Pikachu normally wears the male hats. Sounds like it was Calem to me.

Jiggly may wear it though.
I'd love to have a female alt though with a notched tail and a female hat. I know that you guys were busy, but did anyone notice a Pikachu with a special tail?

iRJi

Smash Champion
My main questions are about the ledge mechanics. I also have 1 question about ground game.

1) In brawl, you are able to run off the stage and immediately grab the ledge, but when the E3 release demo came out, you weren't able to do so because when you ran to the ledge, it preformed a jump. Can you run to the ledge and immediately grab it, or does it still jump when you run to the ledge?

2) Does attempting to grab the ledge from your opponent still push your opponent off from the ledge?

3) You mentioned before that pivot tilting is still in the game, which is awesome. I know in the E3 demo, reverse aerial rushing was doable as well. Can you still reverse aerial rush?

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I noticed that nobody's asked about Yoshi yet.

• *obligatory "what are his costumes" question* (Sorry, the TVTropes forums are arguing whether his missing SNES or N64 colors would be better.)
  • How does he attack out of flutter jump? Does he DJC or keep his momentum?
  • Has Egg Roll's startup time been reduced?
  • How does his new USmash shape up?
  • Grab ability? Is it still inexplicably a weakness?

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
1. One thing that caught my attention was an Advance Wars assist trophy. The little 16 bit advance war sprites come out and march at your enemy with the tanks and stuff. It's funny.
Awwww, we got that one instead of a CO again? Noooooo! :p

Thanks for relaying all this info to us! You're a champ.

Infantry & Tanks was an unlockable trophy in Brawl. Did you see Isaac as an AT at the demo? He was an unlockable trophy as well. (Giant glowy green hands guy, if you don't remember him exactly.)

Last edited:

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
dude im not sure if you already did something like this, but could you make like a list of changes that you 100% noticed in the final build compared to the E3 build?

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
First of all, thanks a lot for doing this!

I have a couple questions too (about Toon Link, so if you haven't played him you can ignore it)

-Is Bair Chain still possible?
-Are his aerials changed, if yes, how?
-Are his projectiles changed, if yes, how?
-Have the psychics affected him, and if yes, how?
-The obligatory Alt/Palette Swap question (Does he have an engineer alt? Does he too have 8 costumes?)

And a few questions about Greninja:
How does his Water Shuriken work?
-Can you charge in the air?
-Can you hold its charge by shelding?
-Is it effective at all?

-Obligatory alt/pallete swap question
Lets try it again.

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
1) In brawl, you are able to run off the stage and immediately grab the ledge, but when the E3 release demo came out, you weren't able to do so because when you ran to the ledge, it preformed a jump. Can you run to the ledge and immediately grab it, or does it still jump when you run to the ledge?
That is not true actually. You were still able to do that in the E3 demo according to some players like Seagull Joe.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Apparantly alternative characters have different names, like Alph. Is this true for the purple Charizard, Dark Meta Knight and Galacta Knight? And does Greninja have a Zair? I heard rumors of one but no video footage

Last edited:
Top Bottom