• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sorry for crashing Smashboards. I'm Zipzo. I played the release build demo of Smash 4. AMA!

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date

6thGodBillTrinnen

Smash Rookie
Did you see/experience anybody exploiting the trump mechanic as an edgeguard, like popping somebody off right when they grab the ledge, then jumping off and attacking them?

In general, what characters seemed like they had a good edgeguarding game?

Thanks again, sry I posted this a few times but you're the man for doing this!!!

D

Deleted member 245254

Is Sonic any better than he was in brawl at all?

Thanks in advance.
Yes. His up aerial has a better hitbox, it's wide. His up-smash has KO potential. His side-b ends with a kick. His spin dash is really fast. his side-b clamps to the ground, and zooms at your opponent. It really gives the feel like being a speedy little hard to hit sucker.

Unfortunately is bair has a bit more lag if you land during the kick, but his fair seems to have a really easy auto-cancel (or tech?) window.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Any word on Tomodachi Life or Kirby's Dream Land?

(The two stages).

D

Deleted member 245254

Did you see/experience anybody exploiting the trump mechanic as an edgeguard, like popping somebody off right when they grab the ledge, then jumping off and attacking them?

In general, what characters seemed like they had a good edgeguarding game?

Thanks again, sry I posted this a few times but you're the man for doing this!!!
Hell yeah I did!

I was playing Robin and somebody trumped me from the ledge, and I had magic sword active, I immediate went in to a air-fsmash and nailed the kill.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Yes. His up aerial has a better hitbox, it's wide. His up-smash has KO potential. His side-b ends with a kick. His spin dash is really fast. his side-b clamps to the ground, and zooms at your opponent. It really gives the feel like being a speedy little hard to hit sucker.

Unfortunately is bair has a bit more lag if you land during the kick, but his fair seems to have a really easy auto-cancel (or tech?) window.
Wow, that's great to hear. I was afraid he might have ended up being as weak as he was in brawl. How bad is the lag on his bair?

D

Deleted member

If you used Shulk, what did his entry animation look like?

Do characters only have one victory pose still?

Was PictoChat usable?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 245254

If you used Shulk, what did his entry animation look like?

Do characters only have one victory pose still?

Was PictoChat usable?
Don't remember his entry animations. Pictochat stage was playable.

I pretty much clicked through all the victory screens to get as much actual play time as possible while the clock was ticking so I didn't notice much about the victory poses >_<

I did not play Olimar, so I never thought to see what the announcer would say if I changed his skin to Alph.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I really hope that some of the costumes were just not unlocked! I'm still holding out hope for Metal Sonic/Skyward Zelda.

ImperfectionistHippie

Smash Rookie
Thanks so much for doing this! I didn't hear a whole lot about the AKB48 Miis thing and I would love confirmation on these things:

1. Is it actually a short movie thing, or is it just a couple images?

2. Are you able to make "(Character) joins the battle!" splash screens with your Miis?

3. Are those costumes exclusive to the AKB48 Miis, or are they unlockable through gameplay?

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Any news on Fox's SHDL still having lag on the landing?

Its such a staple to spacie gameplay. Or at least used to be.

I'm only asking because I used to play Falco and I'm assuming he'd have the same kind of lag.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Thanks for your responses.

What are your thoughts on Greninja? Haven't heard anything specific about him, just that he's pretty strong. How was the landing lag on his aerials, throw combos, combos in general? Anything you can tell me would be great.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't remember his entry animations. Pictochat stage was playable.

I pretty much clicked through all the victory screens to get as much actual play time as possible while the clock was ticking so I didn't notice much about the victory poses >_<

I did not play Olimar, so I never thought to see what the announcer would say if I changed his skin to Alph.
Thanks for the answers! PictoChat confirmed starter hype!! I only ask about Shulk's entry because while it is a minor thing, I've always wondered what it would be seeing as his stance has Monado strapped to his back rather than in front of him 2 handed like in Xenoblade. I always thought his entry would have him in the sheathed stance, then turn and face the enemy while dramatically opening the sword, which wouldn't really work for his current stance.

Two more questions; what Shulk palette swaps were available, or was it just the swimming, white, and black ones we've seen this far?

If you used Greninja and went through his colors, does he have a green color?

Memor3x

Smash Cadet
NNID
Memor3x
3DS FC
5086-3209-8758
Is robin the only character that can do forward smashes in the air that differ from his normal ariels?

btw thanks @Zipzo for taking some time do this!

Last edited:

Kamikam70

Smash Cadet
Any clue on the names of these 2 "?" stages ?

Also, what color swaps did Robin have ? (I really want some details on my future main)

Anyway, thanks a lot for all you're doing, that's really awesome !

D

Deleted member 245254

I really hope that some of the costumes were just not unlocked! I'm still holding out hope for Metal Sonic/Skyward Zelda.
Metal Sonic was not in the game.

Sonic had a white, black, and then a bunch of shades of blue.

6thGodBillTrinnen

Smash Rookie
ckclklmm
Hell yeah I did!

I was playing Robin and somebody trumped me from the ledge, and I had magic sword active, I immediate went in to a air-fsmash and nailed the kill.
That's awesome! You don't know how happy that just made me hearing that, lol.

I really expect to see some creative exploits of that mechanic as the metagame develops. I'm sure there are gonna be some heavy edgeguarding mind games of tricking opponents into popping you off, or pretending to go for the ledge and stuff like that.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
It does not change Fox's name.

Essentially, his fur turns completely grey, and the color of his costume turns to a grey with purple linings. It looks a lot like...well...this

I repeat it does not simply turn his fur "dark". It's actually more of a light gray.
Thank you for your response. What I gather, this is a simple skin rather than actually being a Wolf deconformation? Wolf does not have a purple visor

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
First of all, thanks a lot for doing this!

I have a couple questions too (about Toon Link, so if you haven't played him you can ignore it)

-Is Bair Chain still possible?
-Are his aerials changed, if yes, how?
-Are his projectiles changed, if yes, how?
-Have the psychics affected him, and if yes, how?
-The obligatory Alt/Palette Swap question (Does he have an engineer alt? Does he too have 8 costumes?)

And a few questions about Greninja:
How does his Water Shuriken work?
-Can you charge in the air?
-Can you hold its charge by shelding?
-Is it effective at all?

-Obligatory alt/pallete swap question

D

Deleted member 245254

Thanks for your responses.

What are your thoughts on Greninja? Haven't heard anything specific about him, just that he's pretty strong. How was the landing lag on his aerials, throw combos, combos in general? Anything you can tell me would be great.
Essentially, if I don't mention landing lag, it probably wasn't an issue.

Greninja feels like one of the stronger characters. His footsies to me is really strong because of his zoning abilities and his unique moves. It's really hard to mind-game a Greninja.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot for all the helpful info. Just two small questions:

1. Did you play as Zelda? If yes, how did you feel her?

2. Did you get to see any new DK content? An assist trophy, Dixie's colors as an alt for Diddy?

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Much appreciated, Zipzo and dadari. :) Do you know if there were any noticeable changes to Samus' gameplay, or if there was anything especially notable about her gameplay in general? :)

Last edited:

BOWSER_BASHER

Smash Cadet
You said Lucario's alts are green, purple, dark grey and the rest are shades of blue. Were those all eight colors for him?

D

Deleted member 245254

You've said 6/8 Toon Link costumes in the past. Did you notice any more?
There was a costume that looked similar to his "old" costume. A "greyish" dull green tunic with brown undershirt. Another that mimiced his old look from link the first zelda.

Kamikam70

Smash Cadet
So, what was the answer? Does the announcer say Alph, and does it say Alph is his name?
I'm not here at the event, but since you can only swap after selecting the character, I guess the announcer doesn't say "Alph" (as with Zelda and Sheik in Brawl). However, it might be said on the victory screen.

Savajin

Smash Rookie
Please tell me someone made a pic of the Fierce Deity Link.

To the questions:

Did every character on that build have 8 colours like Sakurai said? (Mac 16 I know)
Did you noticed someone spamming air dodges and shield and how punishable is it?
Is Marths counter still OP ans kills at 60%?
Does Zeldas Down B help edge guarding?

ty for doing this q&a :)

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Does Greninja have an alt that looks like this?

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Any clue on the names of these 2 "?" stages ?

Also, what color swaps did Robin have ? (I really want some details on my future main)

Anyway, thanks a lot for all you're doing, that's really awesome !
I am at least pretty sure the pink stage is Magicant from EarthBound. The dark space looks like a not-unlocked stage.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
You really did a great job with giving us all of this great information! :) If you don't mind, here's a couple of questions from me as well:

1. Did you get the chance to test out customization? (Custom moves)
2. Exactly how does Pac-Man's Side B work? Do you control the dots as they are created and make the line as long as you like?
3. Did you see any new stages (not past-stages) that haven't been confirmed ye?
4. Does Charizard's Side B give much recoil damage?

:)

Top Bottom