• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sorry for crashing Smashboards. I'm Zipzo. I played the release build demo of Smash 4. AMA!

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date

Jesus castro

Smash Rookie
Oh man i need wario news. Probably the reason sakurai hasnt revealed him is because he has done major changes? maybe? I hope not. Wario was one of the smoothest character i have played in a smash game.

DAVEYHAVOK

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to be as factual in my recollection of the game as possible and questions like these aren't really conducive to that so I've avoided answering them. It's all subjective, you know?

I greatly enjoyed the game and I'm frothing at the mouth to get it permanently in my hands so I can start training.

If you don't enjoy it then it's because you are probably set in your ways in being unable to accept the absense of Melee physics or ATs. If you are open minded about game design and are willing to accept a fresh new experience that changes the way Smash players, this is going to be a pretty hype game.
Thanks, and sorry if my question was out of place. This is just what i needed to convince myself to buy a 3DS and Smash Bros.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Umm...you might be right. Tbh it's all meshing together in my head at this point.

An aerial is almost always possible on a victim of the spin jump. Usually.

Kick doesn't really make me think of Fox's kick though, he's more closer to the ground, like sliding on it.
My point was simply to explain the kind of kick it is, in case some people are unfamiliar with martial arts terms. I mean, when you hear "side kick" do you think of a kick performed with the blade of the foot, or a superhero's noobish assistant/pal?

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I definitely think it's paranoia.

The change in mechanics (IE feel) of the game and playing with its new engine is more akin to the huge switch between 64 and Melee, and less like Melee > Brawl.

The engine is different, this needs to be emphasized. It creates a really fresh experience while playing the new game.
I'm positive that my negative vibes toward Smash 4 is because of its release getting extremely close, and I'm becoming stressed out. I really want this game to succeed in all aspects, so now I'm beginning to nitpick a lot.

I'm sorry for not continuing the hype like everyone else. I don't want to become so hyped up and positive that I'm left sorely disappointed come release.

D

Deleted member 245254

My point was simply to explain the kind of kick it is, in case some people are unfamiliar with martial arts terms. I mean, when you hear "side kick" do you think of a kick performed with the blade of the foot, or a superhero's noobish assistant/pal?
Fair enough.

TheCarterFitz

Smash Rookie
:4olimar:Did Alph have different sound than Olimar? And what do you think of the possibly of Olimar to have Louie, Brittany, and Charlie alternate skins as well?:4olimar:

-Carter:4pacman:
:4olimar:Adding on to my last thought, my thinking would be: there are five captains, but four of them have more of a chance: Olimar, Louie (unlikely), and Alph, Brittany, and Captain Charlie. I think the crew members from Pikmin 3, along with Olimar, are the most likely to get in the game. I also think that there would be one alternate color for each of the four captains.:4olimar:

:4olimar:My other, less likely theory, is that like Little Mac, Olimar has 16 alternate costumes. This means the four captains above, each with four different colors.:4olimar:

I don't know, just my thinking.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Hey @Zipzo, did you play on the Unova Pokémon League/N's Castle stage? If so, how are the hazards in the stage compared to the hazards in Spear Pillaer?

D

Deleted member 245254

I'm positive that my negative vibes toward Smash 4 is because of its release getting extremely close, and I'm becoming stressed out. I really want this game to succeed in all aspects, so now I'm beginning to nitpick a lot.

I'm sorry for not continuing the hype like everyone else. I don't want to become so hyped up and positive that I'm left sorely disappointed come release.
My recommendation is to just go all in, and don't worry too much about what other people think. If it doesn't work out, it set you back like $50, no big deal, and you can go back to playing PM or Melee if that suits your fancy. No one said it was illegal to play the older games. I just think you're missing out on a fresh experience if you don't try. I think even if Smash 4 somehow flops in the long run competitively, you're still doing yourself a service if only for the fresh experience to get Smash 4.

KirbyCheatFurbyMeat

Smash Cadet
I'm curious about something.

In your entire time playing, did you ever have the opportunity to see what Dedede's Final Smash looks like? I know you said that you only saw the end last time.

D

Deleted member 245254

I'm curious about something.

In your entire time playing, did you ever have the opportunity to see what Dedede's Final Smash looks like? I know you said that you only saw the end last time.
Unfortunately my answer to that is unchanged, I just remember it ends with DDD slamming his hammer in to the opponent.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Hey @Zipzo. I've been unable to read through the entire thread for answers (worked all weekend long), but I'm curious. Sakurai said that characters had 8 colors each. But multiple characters have been shown with less than 8 colors/costumes. Are some costumes unlockable, thus leaving open the opportunity for some cool costumes to be discovered after the official release?

If this is a question that's already been answered, I apologize. I just haven't been able to keep up.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
Hey @Zipzo, did you play on the Unova Pokémon League/N's Castle stage? If so, how are the hazards in the stage compared to the hazards in Spear Pillaer?
Oh yeah, what the heck does Milotic do?

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
My recommendation is to just go all in, and don't worry too much about what other people think. If it doesn't work out, it set you back like $50, no big deal, and you can go back to playing PM or Melee if that suits your fancy. No one said it was illegal to play the older games. I just think you're missing out on a fresh experience if you don't try. I think even if Smash 4 somehow flops in the long run competitively, you're still doing yourself a service if only for the fresh experience to get Smash 4.
I've never skipped a Smash game, so I definitely won't skip this one. I used to tell people the same exact thing you're telling me... Suppose I should really take my own advice. Smash 4 appears similar to other titles on the surface, but it is an extremely fascinating entry in the series. All of my anxiety is blurring my initial perspective of the game. I'm calm now.

TheCarterFitz

Smash Rookie
:4pacman:Was PAC-MAZE a stage on the Nintendo 3DS demo? If so, did it live up to your expectations? And was PAC-MAN ghosts an assist trophy or a taunt?:4pacman:

KirbyCheatFurbyMeat

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately my answer to that is unchanged, I just remember it ends with DDD slamming his hammer in to the opponent.
Aww, oh well. I'm so happy with all the info you provided.

Now, I know you hate color questions, but you said Dedede had a black robe, right? Was it that darker color scheme he had in Brawl or was it totally black? Because if so, that is REALLY amazing.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
The only question I have is does the Fierce Deity Link alt have the spiral sword?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
This psychology book I was reading was so boring I almost died. There was so much info in the first two posts in this thread I feel like I just got defribullated

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
:4pacman:Was PAC-MAZE a stage on the Nintendo 3DS demo? If so, did it live up to your expectations? And was PAC-MAN ghosts an assist trophy or a taunt?:4pacman:

It seems Pac-Maze wasn't available.

I think the Ghosts serve as Pac's down taunt (i.e. the one where he lies down and two Ghosts swirl about him). I think someone (Zipzo or another event attendee) said that the Ghosts were also an Assist Trophy.

Which, if you watch Pac's trailer, is fairly evident (i.e. the scene where Ghosts are flying about Wily's Castle).

The only question I have is does the Fierce Deity Link alt have the spiral sword?
The Fierce Deity is merely a skin, and not an outright costume. Zipzo has noted that FD uses the Master Sword.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
No, he has Link's normal equipment. Incidentally, this has been asked(and answered) a few times now...

EDIT: :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Zipzo, you mentioned Shielding was the only way to cancel a dash, are you sure that is the only way?

http://smashboards.com/threads/at-run-stop-cancel.364666/

People in the previous demo mentioned they could cancel it with a lot of other ground options. Did this not work?
The difference there is you have to manually stop a run, and then act out of your run-stop animation. But it looks like you can shield directly out of run without having to manually stop, which is probably what Zipzo tested. That's my guess, anyway.

Redcard

Smash Cadet
Hey Zipzo, were you the one to say that Greninja's Shadow Sneak was hard to see on the normal 3DS screen? If yeah, could you elaborate? And if not, what are your opinons on it?
I've been trying to keep up on all of the info you've been giving us, but I haven't really seen anything on Greninja aside from what I said up there - did you get to try him out? What are your impressions?

RadR99

Smash Rookie
This is an odd question, but what song was on the Paper Mario stage?

TheCarterFitz

Smash Rookie
It seems Pac-Maze wasn't available.

I think the Ghosts serve as Pac's down taunt (i.e. the one where he lies down and two Ghosts swirl about him). I think someone (Zipzo or another event attendee) said that the Ghosts were also an Assist Trophy.

Which, if you watch Pac's trailer, is fairly evident (i.e. the scene where Ghosts are flying about Wily's Castle).

The Fierce Deity is merely a skin, and not an outright costume. Zipzo has noted that FD uses the Master Sword.
What, do you think, the ghosts do though? Do they damage the player by "however many" percent? Do they have knockback, or any side effect? I noticed they couldn't be PAC-MAN's, because PAC-MAN was avoiding the ghosts as well. Also, Pinky, Blinky, Inky, and Clyde are all getting trophies in-game as well.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
What, do you think, the ghosts do though? Do they damage the player by "however many" percent? Do they have knockback, or any side effect? I noticed they couldn't be PAC-MAN's, because PAC-MAN was avoiding the ghosts as well. Also, Pinky, Blinky, Inky, and Clyde are all getting trophies in-game as well.
I would imagine that they float all around, knocking whoever gets in their way. Maybe they could have the same individual properties as the arcade games (so Blinky goes straight for the nearest target, Pinky attempts roundabout ambushes, Blinky flutters about, and Clyde's movements are plainly random).

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
Any fighter come off as glaringly OP or UP right off the bat?

What fighters seem to have the highest skill-ceilings or most hidden potential?

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Any fighter come off as glaringly OP or UP right off the bat?

What fighters seem to have the highest skill-ceilings or most hidden potential?
Easy answer: It's hard to analyze that first question since everyone's fighting styles are so different, especially the newcomers. I mean, you really can't just compare Rosalina or Palutena to Fox. It's not that simple.

As for the second question, Rosalina and Shulk definitely have some serious potential depth going on. But really, everyone probably has some serious hidden potential. In terms of raw skill-ceiling, I suspect Sheik with her laglesss aerial abuse.

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
...I hate to fashion myself a newb, but blast zones? What's wrong with fast rolling? Shield dropping? What's dash dancing??
Blast zones are the areas at the edges of the stage (bottom, sides, top) where if you hit them then you lose your stock (die). Some people don't want them to be too far away because that implies the games can take too long to actually land a KO, instead you'll just hit people far away but they'll still survive and have to move all the way back to the stage to keep fighting.

Fast rolling: I'm not sure why some people don't want this, but maybe just because it's kind of a weird game if characters just spend the whole time rolling around everywhere instead of, y'know, walking+running which give you more versatility about where you go. If everyone's rolling all the time it also seems very defensive because you're invincible during that time, it might slow things down but also limits everyone's options.

Shield dropping is just letting go of your shield and doing an attack. In previous games there have been ways to drop your shield quickly; e.g. in Brawl, you can jump or upsmash directly out of your shield. Simply letting go of the shield causes "shield-drop lag", some frames where you can't do anything. But the up-smash or jump can come out immediately out of the shield, so you don't waste any time, so those are better offensive options out of shield.

Dash-dancing is where you knock the control-stick side-to-side really fast; in previous games you would dash one way, then the opposite way, really super quickly (no time wasted in a turnaround animation), this makes it hard for the opponent to space against you and predict which way you are going to go / when will you attack. If players have lots of movement / running / dash-dancing options, it gives the game a faster more dynamic nature at high-level play.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I'm seconding (thirding?) this question. It's alright if N's Castle wasn't in the demo or you didn't see it, but any information you can give us about it would be appreciated!

(also reila the unova pokemon league stage is in the wii u version, not the 3ds one) im a dumb

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Is there any particular reason people are worried about characters like palutena and robin belong OP? I've noticed it a little bit elsewhere. It seems that they have some pretty defined weaknesses, palutena a being a poor close range game.

Also thanks for posting that summary! I'm hyped for my main Mario to be a combo machine again!

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I'm seconding (thirding?) this question. It's alright if N's Castle wasn't in the demo or you didn't see it, but any information you can give us about it would be appreciated!

(also reila the unova pokemon league stage is in the wii u version, not the 3ds one)
Unova League and N's Castle are one and the same. The Wii U stage you're thinking of is the Kalos League. Get your PKMNs right! Geez!

Edit: Spelling fix. Not sure how I spelled "League" as "Leagua" in the first place, though. And here I am complaining at other people for not knowing how to Pokémon. Talk about hypocritical!

Last edited:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Sorry if the question has already been answered.

My biggest concern is recoveries. From the convention 3DS tournament, characters seemed to be able to recovery with an effective guarantee regardless of getting hit. Is this still true?

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
So many questions that you guys keep posting which are that we are going know in the game. I don't know why I think some of the things like customize moves and unlockable content. I think we all have to wait to answer these questions, although this is the release version which is nearly final. I have confident that we only see a tip of the iceberg of this game. And probably some cool easter eggs.
Don't be a big spoiler too soon. @Zipzo , I still want some stuff to be a secret.

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
I missed the stream can anyone recap or mention some of the important parts

Top Bottom