• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sorry for crashing Smashboards. I'm Zipzo. I played the release build demo of Smash 4. AMA!

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date
D

Deleted member

lol accidentally hit "like" instead of "reply". Never mind though, not a big deal. Anywho, on the subject of Peach, that's a little harder because we don't have any footage of her to work off of, only word of mouth from Zipzo and others.

— Pulling up a turnip is laggy, according to Zipzo. This will likely make them less spammable from a distance, but I suspect that staying close enough to re-grab will probably let her spam the darn things as much as she wants, like her turnip game in Melee.
— DSmash has an air wave GFX around Peach's feet to show where the hitbox extends. The attack's multiple hits suck the foe in, then the last hit launches them back out.
— Zipzo says it seems like Peach's FSmash always rotates through her weapons in the same order: Golf club > tennis racket > frying pan, IIRC. (I'm a little iffy on the order of the first two, but I definitely remember that the frying pan was last.)
— Her new UAir is a juggle move from what I've heard. According to Zipzo it has an arcing hitbox overhead.
— According to Zipzo, Peach Bomber (Side Special) has next to no startup time.

And unfortunately, that's about all I've got on Peach. If she'd been playable at E3/SDCC, I'd probably have a lot more to say on the matter.

Back on the subject of Zelda for a bit, it seems like her increased range with Down Smash might be partly attributed to a height increase relative to other members of the cast. Mainly what I noticed was that Fox was having significant difficulty getting past that move on the ground. If he went for a Dash Attack, she'd just DSmash him from outside his range. Attempts at a dashing USmash were met similarly, and honestly it looked like her DSmash's reach was about on par with his FTilt (like maybe he could sneak an FTilt in with perfect spacing, but it'd be difficult). She could probably even stop Fox's FSmash with it by timing it properly; her DSmash comes out pretty darn fast. I think she stopped a Fox Illusion with it once, too, but don't quote me on that. She also cornered him somewhat near the edge of the screen on Colosseum and KO'd him with a (very) stale DSmash at 90%.
Thanks, dude! ^0^

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Out of all the characters, who do you believe will be the best?
Again, depends on your strategy
That's kind of hard to say right now, but so far, it seems that Greninja may be up there.
However, I think Palutena might be on the highest tier,but who knows?
I apologize if this was already been answered. (There's just to many post to be able to keep up.)

I know Peach's final smash is the same, but is there any differences in it at all?
I think the drawings of Peach in her final smash are a bit updated.

Last edited:

Iron Maw

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ironmaw
3DS FC
1091-8076-0883
Is there a summary of information from zipzos live stream? If so, it would greatly appreciated to post it here.
Closest thing so far:
I took some notes during the streaming, I think there may be some new info (sorry for the bad grammar, I'm not a native speaker. I could also have misheard something). I also missed some parts, please understand.
  • Shiek's F-air has more knockback
  • Mario's aerials have little landing lag
  • Robin's aerials don't have much landing lag
    • Side-B is good for spacing
    • Neutral-B is fast
    • Up-B: slightly moves towards the direction he's facing and then shoots down.
    • There isn't any lag when he drops the Levin Sword (you can still act).
  • Pac-Man is really floaty
    • Down-B is like Mario's F.L.U.D.D. (no damage, just pushes opponents away)
    • His aerials have really disjointed hitboxes.
    • No Ms.Pac Man alt.
  • Shulk is slower than Marth.
    • Up-Smash has a lot of range.
    • Neutral-B is the move that allows you to switch between the different stances.
    • He has a "floaty jump" (he said he does a flip, so he floats for a moment, like Marth does).
  • Yoshi doesn't have a white alt, just a black one.
  • Captain Falcon's f-air has more killing power and landing lag.
  • Charizard recolors: purple and blue, black and red, green and gold (could be more).
  • Peach's Final Smash seems the same.
  • In his Final Smash, Dedede smashes his hammer into the opponents (he missed the first part).
  • Little Mac is really good in FFA.
  • Arena Ferox seems a legal stage.
  • The ledge-snap is now way smaller.
    • You can still grab a ledge facing the other way.
  • No crouch canceling.
  • Pikachu has three new costumes: Gold's hat, fighting band (red, yellow and black) and a red cap with sunglasses (X/Y-like, I think).
    • You can do an up-tilt combo twice and then hit your opponent with an aerial.
    • B-air has landing lag.
  • Meta Knight's slashing attack have more lag.
    • His Up-B is looks like Dolphin Slash, but with two slashes.
    • You can't act out of Tornado fast (more ending lag?).
    • Smash attacks have more start-up.
    • He still feels like a good character, just not an overpowered one anymore.
  • Toon Link doesn't have an outfit/pijama alt.
  • The game doesn't lag with the 3D on.
  • Palutena is heavy-weight.
    • Her Up Smash is three times a short hop high (so you can't attack her with an aerial), but doesn't hit you if you're very close to her.
    • Her roll is a teleport.
  • Villager goes helpless if you pop all of his baloons.
  • Rolling is faster, so it's an even safer option now.
  • Sonic's d-air has landing lag.
    • B-air now has landing lag if you SHFF it (it doesn't if you don't FF, though).
    • F-air autocancels.
    • He doesn't have a green recolour, just a white, a black, and a purple-ish one.
    • No Metal Sonic alt.
    • His dash attack does multiple hits.
  • Ike's ground speed got buffed.
    • His moveset felt the same (keep in mind that he played as him in just one match and he didn't main him in Brawl).
  • Smash attacks start sending characters too far to combo once you reach 60-70%.
  • When you fast fall, there's a Smash64-like animation (there's a little spark).
  • Samus's roll is bad (feels clunky and slower if compared to other rolls).
  • Blast zones are really big, characters had to get to very high percentages before getting killed. (in a 3-stock, 2 minutes match against two computers, he spent the whole time just for one stock).
  • Lucario's smash attack are faster.
  • Dedede can only throw one Gordo at a time.
  • You can access the customization menu pressing start in the character select screen.
    • You can save up to 6 profiles per character: the first one is the default one, while you can customize the other 5.
  • Marth's f-air lasts longer (which is why you can't SHDF anymore), but doesn't have huge landing lag.
    • Tippers have an explosion-like animation and still have amazing knockback (as much as before).
    • Range is shorter.
    • His running speed is higher than in Brawl.
    • Dancing Blade still feels the same.
    • Being thinner than other characters, he was sometimes hard to see on the original 3DS.
    • N-air and b-air have very little landing lag, so they can be short hopped.
    • He has the same colours he had before, plus the new orange one.
    • His d-air can still spike.
  • Fox can still side-b -> up-b
  • To switch to the Final Destination version of a stage, you put the cursor over the one you want to play on and press X.
  • Olimar doesn't have rock Pikmins.
  • Zelda's down-B didn't feel very strong, looks more like a defensive move.
    • She doesn't have a Hilda alt.
  • Short hop is easy to do.
  • Peach can still float on the ground.
  • Every character has at least one lagless option.
  • Rosalina has physics similar to Palutena.
  • Donkey Kong has a good b-air.
    • His d-air is a spike.
    • His dash attack is a rolling attack.
    • His down-b has huge range.

Last edited:

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
I'm hoping blastzones won't be a issue on wiiu.
Based on the E3 demo for the Wii U (I got to play it at Smash Fest), unfortunately the blast zones for that version are huge too. It took 3 smashes for my friend playing Marth to KO me playing Pit.

Doc.Pringles

Smash Cadet
Out of all the characters, who do you believe will be the best?
No one knows for sure, but most are saying MK will be dethroned..

Greninja, Shiek, and probably Palutena are the faves. Bowser is another, but honestly I think he'll get figured out relatively quick and drop to "viable". Little Mac also gets a nod.

Personally, apart from the first 3, I think Shulk and Robin will be huge, possibly Rosalina. Why? Their play styles seem highly skill-capped and allow for great variety and difficult counters. If someone can master Shulk's stances, he will be difficult to contest with. Having the ability to tone down knock back, but increase damage, then swap it around is nuts.. He also has great range (despite melee).

Robin is similar with his tomes and swords constantly varying, especially since they resonance so quick. He can be an offensive powerhouse, them while play defensive until decently charged, then repeat. I've heard good stuff about his aerial game too.

Personally, I think Rosalina will be a slow start but will take off well later. Her aiming ability with Luma can be huge, and similarly, he respawns in only 8 seconds, which isn't bad if you can stay on the defensive. Her down b vacuum is nuts too..

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
I apologize if this was already been answered. (There's just to many post to be able to keep up.)

I know Peach's final smash is the same, but is there any differences in it at all?
From what I've seen, no. Could be wrong or changed since they last showed it though. Was in one of the trailers for a second or two.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Based on the E3 demo for the Wii U (I got to play it at Smash Fest), unfortunately the blast zones for that version are huge too. It took 3 smashes for my friend playing Marth to KO me playing Pit.
This is frustrating... I don't know how I'm feeling about this game right now.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
All this means is that the gameplay may start to focus on gimping as opposed to the traditional, smash em out. I personally love this because it means more skilled gameplay, a refreshing change from the usual way of smashing, and more survivability for my "floaty" Pacman :4pacman:
But that's just me:p

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
All this means is that the gameplay may start to focus on gimping as opposed to the traditional, smash em out. I personally love this because it means more skilled gameplay, a refreshing change from the usual way of smashing, and more survivability for my "floaty" Pacman :4pacman:
I don't know, it seems as if characters get launched at really vertical angles this time around. This may make gimping not as effective because characters can simply float back down and airdodge...

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Anyone know how Kirby plays? Does he feel improved? It looks like his grab attacks are really strong. Hows his back air attack? Anyone know more about how he plays. OP post just mentions an alt he has.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Me too. I feel exciting of this game but also worried being soiled or not satisfied of this game.
He is similar to Mr.G&W. That's why I love him.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Me too. I feel exciting of this game but also worried being soiled or not satisfied of this game.

He is similar to Mr.G&W. That's why I love him.
Exactly. I used to always remind myself that I'll be satisfied with the game no matter what, but I don't know anymore. Large blast zones, extremely fast rolling and shield dropping, no dash dancing, combos become near impossible too early IMO, still somewhat floaty air physics...

D

Deleted member 245254

So the stream happened on twitch, but there's nothing listed in past broadcasts? Was it taken down or something?
There's a setting you have to have on that archines broadcasts for your account. That setting was not turned on so I don't think it saved.

Was Bowser changed at all between the E3/SDCC demo and this demo?
Did not seem so.

how is the 3D of this game? no one has really talked about that portion of teh game
Maintains a high frame rate, and it's not to intrusive. I liked it. On the N3DS I may actually play with it on and I never have.
@Zipzo does Sonic still say when his side taunt is activated does he say "Super Sonic Style!" or "Your too Slow"?

btw I heard you were a Sonic Main. if you have any info you would like to share with up please go to my thread. (link in my signature)
He spoke Japanese in the Japanese version, I believe I remember.

^any add'l notes on Diddy besides Banana Nerf? I heard he's a little stronger & his uB is better... but I'm worried for single 'nana.
I think Diddy, while a big nerf to his bananas is benefitting from the "Smash 4 mechanics" overhaul. A lot of his moves have different hit stuns and chains. As do all the characters.

Were you able to notice if sheik seemed to have a good combo game? Like can f-tilt and dash attack lead to a f-air?
Sheik has everything in to everything that I could see.

oh my god marth is getting nerfed??? oh no thats bad news for me...

a question on shulk, he was described as a slightly faster ike. any more specific character speed comparison? is he like in between marth and ike or something
I think between Marth and Ike is a good way to describe it, speed wise.

I want to say that it is largely the same, but I only saw it once, used against me from someone else and my memory isn't very good on what happened but I don't remember being shocked and surprised.

So Sonic's Side B ends with a Kick now?
Yes, but it's not like the Project M kick. It's kind of a poke kick.

Eudes

Smash Rookie
NNID
HeroOfTime1289
3DS FC
2793-0725-8359
Thanks a lot for all the info, I really appreciate it. I know you're probably business with everybody else's questions, so I'll keep it short.
1. How would you explain how Robin's moveset works? (Switching tomes, swords, etc.)
2.Any alts. for Lucina? (If she was playable)

D

Deleted member 245254

Thanks a lot for all the info, I really appreciate it. I know you're probably business with everybody else's questions, so I'll keep it short.
1. How would you explain how Robin's moveset works? (Switching tomes, swords, etc.)
2.Any alts. for Lucina? (If she was playable)
1. The switching happens automatically without doing anything. I didn't notice the tome switching mechanic. The levin sword switching was noticeable but I don't think I once noticed the tome mechanics in detail. The B moves seem to reliably always output the same magic attack during a given match.

2. Lucina wasn't playable.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Any info or changes on Rosalina

And peach's new up air. Is it fast? I also heard that move was destroying people.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
As a G&W main, that was only the icing on top of the cake for me. Pacman's just such a unique, charismatic, and fun character
He sure is.
Exactly. I used to always remind myself that I'll be satisfied with the game no matter what, but I don't know anymore. Large blast zones, extremely fast rolling and shield dropping, no dash dancing, combos become near impossible too early IMO, still somewhat floaty air physics...
I won't mind of the large blast zones actually.
Any info or changes on Rosalina

And peach's new up air. Is it fast? I also heard that move was destroying people.
We know that Rosalina has a high chance being a high tier character. And her fire costume.
Peach is now a deadly princess if you ask me.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
There's a setting you have to have on that archines broadcasts for your account. That setting was not turned on so I don't think it saved.

Did not seem so.

Maintains a high frame rate, and it's not to intrusive. I liked it. On the N3DS I may actually play with it on and I never have.

I think Diddy, while a big nerf to his bananas is benefitting from the "Smash 4 mechanics" overhaul. A lot of his moves have different hit stuns and chains. As do all the characters.

I want to say that it is largely the same, but I only saw it once, used against me from someone else and my memory isn't very good on what happened but I don't remember being shocked and surprised.

Okay. I hope your not getting that mixed up with his new Dash Attack.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
@Zipzo thanks for the answer! BTW, is it possible you could record some music tracks once you receive the game? It would be very wonderful to have some direct feed full music! If it is possible that you could be able to do that, could you please add it here:http://smashboards.com/threads/official-smash-bros-4-music-discussion.366340/
I think many of us would enoy listening to some of the tracks early (if you are allowed to share them of course. Wouldn't want you in some legal trouble)

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I took some notes during the streaming, I think there may be some new info (sorry for the bad grammar, I'm not a native speaker. I could also have misheard something). I also missed some parts, please understand.
  • Charizard recolors: purple and blue, black and red, green and gold (could be more).
Aw yeah.

D

Deleted member 245254

Let's get this conversation out of the way.

I cited the large blast zones as somewhat of a concern to me. I think the lack of dash dancing is fine as we have short hop approaches like all previous games and tilt combos. Sitting in shield is an awful idea because of how fast it breaks.

My concern about the blast zones is correlated to match time, but I see this easily as being an aggressively paced combat-styled Smash game.

About combos. Melee combos are not in. You can not utterly turn your opponent in to a sandbag for a long string of multiple hits. In order to get longer strings you must be intelligent about your follow ups and reads on your opponents DI, and as long as you do those things you will be successful in your combo strings.

You can get maybe the first 3 hits of a combo (3 completely separately used abilities in a string) on a player before you need to start reading their DI, and gauging your follow up choice.

Wraeith

Smash Cadet

Did not seem so.

How severe do you think the Marth nerfs truly are, Zipzo? Your initial impressions made him seem like he was gutted pretty hard, but do you think the shorter sword range might be attributed to perception of the 3DS screen?

Quoted a few notes provided by Spizor from the livestream below for reference. Thanks again for the information.

• Marth's f-air lasts longer (which is why you can't SHDF anymore), but doesn't have huge landing lag.
    • Tippers have an explosion-like animation and still have amazing knockback (as much as before).
    • Range is shorter.
    • His running speed is higher than in Brawl.
    • Dancing Blade still feels the same.
    • Being thinner than other characters, he was sometimes hard to see on the original 3DS.
    • N-air and b-air have very little landing lag, so they can be short hopped.
    • He has the same colours he had before, plus the new orange one.
    • His d-air can still spike.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Let's get this conversation out of the way.

I cited the large blast zones as somewhat of a concern to me. I think the lack of dash dancing is fine as we have short hop approaches like all previous games and tilt combos. Sitting in shield is an awful idea because of how fast it breaks.

My concern about the blast zones is correlated to match time, but I see this easily as being an aggressively paced combat-styled Smash game.

About combos. Melee combos are not in. You can not utterly turn your opponent in to a sandbag for a long string of multiple hits. In order to get longer strings you must be intelligent about your follow ups and reads on your opponents DI, and as long as you do those things you will be successful in your combo strings.

You can get maybe the first 3 hits of a combo (3 completely separately used abilities in a string) on a player before you need to start reading their DI, and gauging your follow up choice.
I heard you said this game is not like neither Melee nor Brawl. It seem true. Can't wait to play this game.

D

Deleted member 245254

How severe do you think the Marth nerfs truly are, Zipzo? Your initial impressions made him seem like he was gutted pretty hard, but do you think the shorter sword range might be attributed to perception of the 3DS screen?

Quoted a few notes provided by Spizor from the livestream below for reference. Thanks again for the information.
Hmmm...it's completely possible that's true as I played Marth early on in the first day and maybe one or twice later near the end of the 2nd day.

I definitely think his range was slightly nerfed, maybe not as horrible as I worded it, but you'll notice some fsmash whiffing when you first get your hands on the new Marth.

The thing is, Marth is one of the characters in the game that is really affected by the new physics and Smash 4 mechanic overhaul. His movements are all rebuilt from the ground up so each of his attacks has a different feel to it, despite being the same essential move with the same essential purpose.

People will have to get used to it but to me it really seems like they've put a big focus on utilizing counter more because of how strong it is.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
...I hate to fashion myself a newb, but blast zones? What's wrong with fast rolling? Shield dropping? What's dash dancing??

Bluevertro

Smash Rookie
NNID
CreppyFax
i need to ask you one thing that i dont know if its been asked, did the menu select look like it did in the leak?

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Rosalina's attack are very slow both ground and air. I wish there were more videos of the japan 3ds version :/. I've seen the 3 by cadari.

D

Deleted member 245254

Do any characters feel too powerful like Meta Knight was?
No. I'll do you one more and tell you that every characters feels so completely unique from the rest that it makes playing each character a completely different experience. You can't just abuse a certain set of similar fundamentals (aside from the obvious things like spacing and reading) on every character and it works by default. You need to learn the characters quirks.

I think matchup learning is going to be major in Smash 4, even for casual players if they want to nail a win. Beating Rosalina or Palutena is not going to super simple if you don't have a good funamental understanding of their spacing options (because of how crazy their play style is and how different it is from anything we've seen before).

Blakexd9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blakexd9
3DS FC
3566-1543-3794
What exactly are Robin's alt hair colors? I'm probably only the millionth one to ask you, so sorry in advance.

Top Bottom