• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sorry for crashing Smashboards. I'm Zipzo. I played the release build demo of Smash 4. AMA!

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 245254

Sorry guys, I just got done with the Japan time episode. I was coaxed in to making a twitter to allow me to keep up with questions and give updates and other things twitter does. I'm new to twitter so go easy on me but here it is.

https://twitter.com/zipzoatmeal

D

Deleted member 245254

Hey @Zipzo. I've been unable to read through the entire thread for answers (worked all weekend long), but I'm curious. Sakurai said that characters had 8 colors each. But multiple characters have been shown with less than 8 colors/costumes. Are some costumes unlockable, thus leaving open the opportunity for some cool costumes to be discovered after the official release?

If this is a question that's already been answered, I apologize. I just haven't been able to keep up.
Every character had 8, I didn't commit them all to memory obviously but I counted them all to have 8.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Who were the most frequently used character(s) you saw being used?

condemor

Smash Rookie
Seeing today potd (album), did you see stickers or CD back?

Did you see the fan?

Did you see which are the mp game modes? (I mean:time, stoxk.. Coins? Bonus?)

And the last one, could you confirm if melee bonuses (awarded after each Battle) are back?

Thanks a lot for your effort on keeping us informwd, zipzo.

Ddit: zipzo confirmed melee bonuses back and no stickers (twitter)

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Seeing today potd (album), did you see stickers or CD back?

Did you see the fan?

Did you see which are the mp game modes? (I mean:time, stoxk.. Coins? Bonus?)

And the last one, could you confirm if melee bonuses (awarded after each Battle) are back?

Thanks a lot for your effort on keeping us informwd, zipzo.
Oh.........the fan......my favorite item...

HyperGumba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Taro_Kuroyoko
3DS FC
4227-1462-6701
Has anyone tried Mario today? Is he still as good as the gamecom demo lead me to believe? Any striking changes?
Would like to quote my questions here once more, though let me recap: In the stream I believe it was said that Mario had some top-notch aerials, right? How is his general combo potential, if you got to try him out?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hey @Zipzo got a question:

Do you happen to recall if Lucario's Down Aerial immediately cancels all momentum in the air like it did in Brawl? Sorry but thank you.

Specific question: If Lucario's Down Aerial works like it does in Brawl, then does the buffered Short Hop Down Aerial input retain it's 'pseudo SHFFL' element with any landing lag?

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I suppose I'll join in.

We know from a Pic of the Day that Robin's held tome changes to reflect the last special move used. (eg. You use Elwind, Robin's tome will be green until another spell is casted.) There's been a theory going around for a while now that Robin's jab combo has its last attack change depending on the tome held. Zipzo, did you try Robin's jab and if yes, what can you tell us about it? Also, did you hit anyone with Robin's smash attacks whilst his Levin Sword was unusable? Did they still pack KO power or were they quite weak?

D

Deleted member 245254

I suppose I'll join in.

We know from a Pic of the Day that Robin's held tome changes to reflect the last special move used. (eg. You use Elwind, Robin's tome will be green until another spell is casted.) There's been a theory going around for a while now that Robin's jab combo has its last attack change depending on the tome held. Zipzo, did you try Robin's jab and if yes, what can you tell us about it? Also, did you hit anyone with Robin's smash attacks whilst his Levin Sword was unusable? Did they still pack KO power or were they quite weak?
Yeah the exploration of the tome mechanic is going to have to come when the game releases, because for the life of me I don't feel how it affected me.

The physical sword by itself is indeed weaker, but most notably the range is shorter, that's arguably the more heinous part. The levin sword has great range, but the physical one is kind of like a dinky dagger. I assume KO is still plausible on a high % character but it's so much less practical under the levin sword smashes.

The thing about choosing your aerials is you can decide whether to waste a levin sword charge or not. I think it's pretty in-depth if you think about it.

Hey @Zipzo got a question:

Do you happen to recall if Lucario's Down Aerial immediately cancels all momentum in the air like it did in Brawl? Sorry but thank you.

Specific question: If Lucario's Down Aerial works like it does in Brawl, then does the buffered Short Hop Down Aerial input retain it's 'pseudo SHFFL' element with any landing lag?
It doesn't cancel his momentum completely but it does slow him down temporarily for the attack. Not sure on the comparison to the Brawl version but yes that's still there.

Not sure about SHFF version of it because the fair is just so fun to use in Smash 4 so I was using that more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
It doesn't cancel his momentum completely but it does slow him down temporarily for the attack. Not sure on the comparison to the Brawl version but yes that's still there.

Not sure about SHFF version of it because the fair is just so fun to use in Smash 4 so I was using that more.
Awesome, Thanks for the answers.:shades: Another Lucario-related question:

You mentioned that F-air is fun to use, may I ask you to elaborate more about his new F-air? Is it a combo-starting aerial that still combos like nobody's business, or perhaps is it a stronger attack similar to Project M Lucario's F-air?

Last edited:

HurricaneMarth

Smash Cadet
Could I ask what Robin's hair colors were changed to?

EDIT: nvm I read two pages back, sorry.

Last edited:

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
Hi Zipzo, I know you didn't play Luigi that much but I was wondering if you landed his up b at anytime or know roughly how strong it is? It's one thing that a lot of Luigi players have been talking about, but no ones exactly knows for sure.

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
I've always wondered which gameplay mode is in this pic?

It looks like a cutscene to me. Do you guys think it's an adventure mode which we have to unlock?

Last edited:

PigglyJuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mr.Hugz
3DS FC
2793-1251-1909
I've always wondered which gameplay mode is this pic from?

It looks like a cutscene to me. Do you guys think it's an adventure mode which we have to unlock?
Nope, It's a photo of the gerudo valley stage.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
actually guys its a still from ridleys debut trailer

yes ive posted this before but its still funny

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sorry guys, I just got done with the Japan time episode. I was coaxed in to making a twitter to allow me to keep up with questions and give updates and other things twitter does. I'm new to twitter so go easy on me but here it is.

https://twitter.com/zipzoatmeal
I listened in on your Japan Time call. I'm curious if that podcast is available anywhere for download? Is there an RSS Feed?

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Thanks a lot for posting this, it was both informative and educational!

Edit: @Zipzo By the way...

"DDD only throws Gordos, and every other side - b does NOT throw a Gordo. Otherwise DDD feels the same."

Could you elaborate on this statement a bit for me? It sounds like you're saying that every other use of side B does something other than throwing Gordos. If that's the case then what does it do when he doesn't throw one?

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
@Zipzo

Did you see if Robin had Thunder and Dark versions of his jabs?

Personally I think you're fretting way too much about a game you haven't played. Zipzo and various people went to all the events that demoed Smash have not reported not being satisfied with the gameplay, but ended up even more hyped about it then they came in. If their were any real serious problems you would have heard all about it by now. Not to say the Smash 4 will perfect but evidence is clearly pointing much of it's good out-weighting it's bad by far. Furthermore some of those complaints are fairly nebulous at best. Just take whatever the game offers as comes and calm down.
All I said is that I have some of my own issues with the game, even if they don't seem important to you. If anyone should calm down, it's you. Just because I see other people satisfied does not mean I will.

Drumma_Boi

Smash Ace
He described her turnip pull on japan time last night much to this effect.

She bends down, pulls it out a little slower, then has an extra animation of her cradling it like she is happy to have it, then finally she goes into her neutral stance.

Seems pretty slow to me from his description alone. Makes me sad since peach will always be my girl.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Yeah the exploration of the tome mechanic is going to have to come when the game releases, because for the life of me I don't feel how it affected me.

The physical sword by itself is indeed weaker, but most notably the range is shorter, that's arguably the more heinous part. The levin sword has great range, but the physical one is kind of like a dinky dagger. I assume KO is still plausible on a high % character but it's so much less practical under the levin sword smashes.

The thing about choosing your aerials is you can decide whether to waste a levin sword charge or not. I think it's pretty in-depth if you think about it.
Yes, I imagine that Robin will be one of the most studied characters post-release, but that's exactly why I asked those questions; to get as much cleared up now as possible haha.

Thank you kindly for answering. :)

D

Deleted member 245254

Thanks a lot for posting this, it was both informative and educational!

Edit: @Zipzo By the way...

"DDD only throws Gordos, and every other side - b does NOT throw a Gordo. Otherwise DDD feels the same."

Could you elaborate on this statement a bit for me? It sounds like you're saying that every other use of side B does something other than throwing Gordos. If that's the case then what does it do when he doesn't throw one?
The more reasonable explanation is that you can only have 1 Gordo out at a time, but when I spammed it I noticed that every other swing did not deploy a Gordo.

Hmmm well hopefully we can still do ledgecancelled turnip pulls or something to reduce the lag
I can nearly 100% doubt it.

Something I really noticed about Smash 4 is they want you controlling the character on their terms, as in, they give you the tools, and you need to figure out how to use those tools to push your character to its maximum potential. I did not get the feeling that there could be any secret new canceling techniques to eliminate the balancing effect of the mechanics they have in place. They've had a lot of practice and it really feels like they want this to be the tightest version yet.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
This is nothing but, is Captain Falcon's "show me your moves!" taunt still 'slow' (akin to Brawl; his salute gestures are more theatrical) or is it instantaneous again (akin to Melee; he does it fast)?

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
The more reasonable explanation is that you can only have 1 Gordo out at a time, but when I spammed it I noticed that every other swing did not deploy a Gordo.

I can nearly 100% doubt it.

Something I really noticed about Smash 4 is they want you controlling the character on their terms, as in, they give you the tools, and you need to figure out how to use those tools to push your character to its maximum potential. I did not get the feeling that there could be any secret new canceling techniques to eliminate the balancing effect of the mechanics they have in place. They've had a lot of practice and it really feels like they want this to be the tightest version yet.

Well I suppose that will make everyone here look even harder, hm? If it's one thing the people on these boards can do, it's dissect a game right down to the molecules that make up its data haha

And none of this is new or useful information.
Or, OR we could take the nice person route and not be a d-bag

Last edited:

Sendo Roba

Smash Cadet
Did you happen to get a look at Bowser's new palettes? Also, you said Mac's wireframe skin has 8 palettes, are any of them more than just different colors?
sorry if this has been asked

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I mean I'm just saying why bother to do an update section on Zelda when you gave nothing new or insightful?

Yes we know what her N air looks like, it's been the same for the last 2 games
Yes we know lightning kicks are strong.
Yes we know Farore's has an initial hitbox
Yes we know she's a glass canon.

If you're going to be delivering tea I would prefer it not to the this stale and cold.

Your image pix are just so edgy I can't handle it.

I was reporting info as I saw it and I do not main every single character in the game, so I simply spoke of what I thought to be notable from playing each character. If you don't feel like the information is useful that's great, but it seems wholly apparent that there was plenty for many others to like in a lot of my information overall.

If you like, you can watch my stream on the release day and request any odd mechanic testing you want and I will do it live. Deal?

Top Bottom