• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sora: A new perspective on why he might make it

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The whole graphical style part... He could have just done it as an updated version.. I mean... you don't see 80's Link in Brawl, do you? XD

But I see where you're trying to get at. Anyway... just the fact that Sakurai considered Sora, is a HUGE plus... I'm not much of a fan of Sora.. but after reading this post and thinking a bit.. There's really no place in Brawl for lesser popular 3rd party characters... So that brings only two Square-Enix characters to fight for the spot..

Sora and Chocobo (and Geno if considered 3rd party)

Sora is a bit more likely since he's popular worldwide, ulike Chocobo who, despite being Square's mascot, is only popular in Japan.

del-boy

Smash Journeyman
I <3 Pandas.

Sora for brawl is awesome. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that a square enix character will take a third party slots. and saying as most final fantasy characters never make an apperance (or star) in one or more games (I said most. Cloud is an exception)
Mog(not just a randomMoogles) has been in 9 Final Fantasy and Chocobo has been the main character in 10 games.

Sora has very little history with nintendo and if they do put some one in it will be to promote a game that comes out around brawl.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Mog(not just a randomMoogles) has been in 9 Final Fantasy and Chocobo has been the main character in 10 games.

Sora has very little history with nintendo and if they do put some one in it will be to promote a game that comes out around brawl.
I said most. and out of all (15+? including remakes...Movies...ect) Final Fantasy games. you've named two characters. I can see your point..

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord

I said most. and out of all (15+? including remakes...Movies...ect) Final Fantasy games. you've named two characters. I can see your point..

Edit: Were either of those two even on Sakurai's pole? Im just wondering..

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312

I hope they weren't on Sakurai's pole...

del-boy

Smash Journeyman

In melee Chocobo was the most wanted 3rd party on Sakurai's pole and that was done by alot more people.

Also I could find alot more characters that have been in more than one FF game.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
In melee Chocobo was the most wanted 3rd party on Sakurai's pole and that was done by alot more people.

Also I could find alot more characters that have been in more than one FF game.
My point is. Final Fantasy dosent have -one- star like Kingdom Hearts does. (Cloud makes appearances in 8 diffrent games. But thats including Kingdom Hearts Remakes).

Im not asking for a list of characters that have shown up in more than one Final Fantasy game. Like I said above. Final Fantasy = No Real star. You'd have to pick between one of the main chars in any game. and even then your limited to games that have been on a Nintendo Console. Im not trying to argue with you.

And by "Main Character" i mean the character you play as. well.. Walk around and controll outside of battle as.

and please dont tell me that Chocobo has been the main character in 8 or howevermany Final Fantasy games.

del-boy

Smash Journeyman
My point is. Final Fantasy dosent have -one- star like Kingdom Hearts does. (Cloud makes appearances in 8 diffrent games. But thats including Kingdom Hearts Remakes).

Im not asking for a list of characters that have shown up in more than one Final Fantasy game. Like I said above. Final Fantasy = No Real star. You'd have to pick between one of the main chars in any game. and even then your limited to games that have been on a Nintendo Console. Im not trying to argue with you.

And by "Main Character" i mean the character you play as. well.. Walk around and controll outside of battle as.

and please dont tell me that Chocobo has been the main character in 8 or howevermany Final Fantasy games.
Sora is only been playable in 3 games and only had one on a nintendo system and it came out on the ps2 as well.

Chocobo has been playable in
Chocobo no Fushigina Dungeon
Chocobo's Dungeon 2
Chocobo World
Chocobo Collection
Hataraku Chocobo
Chocobo Land
Choco-Mate
Chocobo de Mobile
Final Fantasy Fables
and the up and coming Chocobo's Dungeon: Toki-Wasure no Meikyuufor the wii.

If SE do put in a character it will be to promote a game that comes out around the time that brawl does like Chocobo's Dungeon: Toki-Wasure no Meikyuu, Dragon Quest IX, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers and It's a Wonderful World.

Also Kingdom hearts has had 4 playable character out of 5 games.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Sora is only been playable in 3 games and only had one on a nintendo system and it came out on the ps2 as well.

Chocobo has been playable in
Chocobo no Fushigina Dungeon
Chocobo's Dungeon 2
Chocobo World
Chocobo Collection
Hataraku Chocobo
Chocobo Land
Choco-Mate
Chocobo de Mobile
Final Fantasy Fables
and the up and coming Chocobo's Dungeon: Toki-Wasure no Meikyuufor the wii.

If SE do put in a character it will be to promote a game that comes out around the time that brawl does like Chocobo's Dungeon: Toki-Wasure no Meikyuu, Dragon Quest IX, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers and It's a Wonderful World.

Also Kingdom hearts has had 4 playable character out of 5 games.
But only one of the game Chocobo stared in was a Final Fantasy game. I thought the conversation we are having was about KH vs. FF.

They could just as easily put Roxas in to promote his new game coming out for the DS.

If the five games your reffering to are

KH
KH FM+
KH: CoM
KHII
KHII FM+

then there are only three playable characters.

Riku Roxas and Sora. You never run around/controll any other character. Heartless sora counts as sora.

You also seem to have missed my point. Final Fantasy. 1-however many there are

Dosent have the same main character in everey game.(which is half what makes the series what it is. and that makes it really hardt to make a choice for brawl.) and nearly half of them were on a Nintendo System.

and the Chain of Memories remake was Japan only.

Smash Ace
We don't really know, at this point, how much being a third party character counts against them. It certainly adds time in the form of negotiations with the other company, so that the character cannot be added without some planning. How much, I don't know. The fact that the two companies are on somewhat shaky terms does not help.

Unless being a third-party is a very big deterrent indeed, Sora for Brawl! He's an obvious choice, as SamuraiPanda stated.

626key

Smash Journeyman
But only one of the game Chocobo stared in was a Final Fantasy game. I thought the conversation we are having was about KH vs. FF.

They could just as easily put Roxas in to promote his new game coming out for the DS.

KH
KH FM+
KHII
KHII FM+

Riku Roxas and Sora. You never run around/controll any other character. Heartless sora counts as sora.

Dosent have the same main character in everey game.(which is half what makes the series what it is. and that makes it really hardt to make a choice for brawl.) and nearly half of them were on a Nintendo System.

you also play as micky if you die in some bosses

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
I am definitely against Sora for brawl. I have never personally played KH nor am I a big FF fan. However, it's my believe that games that do not do well on a Nintendo console represent Nintendo. Snake from Metal Gear DOES define an early Nintendo and they were very successful on Nintendo consoles. Sonic played a big part in the Sega - Nintendo relations (Both in rivalry and in joining) and was in more than one Nintendo game. Sora's inclusion because of a technicality is not likely.

In my opinion, Crono from Chrono Trigger would be a much better Square character to have. He was in one Square Nintendo game, sure, yet this game was popular and (at first) was released solely on the Super Nintendo.

maskeXD

Smash Apprentice
C'mon guys!

Sora fits perfectly and yoko shimomura is in the composer team, just like sonic's and metal gear's!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think Chocobo has indeed more chances. Chains of Memory wasn't even a GBA exclusive. The only thing that makes me still consider him as a possible SE rep is the fact that he appeared in Sakurai's poll.

I believe Chocobo will be in. He was the MOST wanted 3rd party character, in a game that had none. Now that the gates for 3rd party have opened, Chocobo (Melee's most wanted) can finally get in.

Despite his low chances, I would like to see Crono get in over Sora as well. Then Chocobo... and THEN Sora.

BTW.. Roxas COULD qualify for the spot, since he has a game coming for the DS ONLY.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
Hm... Perhaps I worded it wrong.

I'm not really talking about who "deserves" to be in the game, or who I "want" to be in the game. I'm taking a very arbitrary and buisness-like viewpoint when I say that I believe Sora is a likely choice for Sakurai and Nintendo to choose as another 3rd party character.

Especially since Megaman, everyone's favorite 3rd party char other than Sonic, has actually lost popularity with the masses. In fact, Capcom has already decided not to make a Megaman game for the Wii because of this. Megaman's creator has come out and said he would love to make another game for the Wii, and he has ideas, but Capcom doesn't want to put too much into Megaman anymore because people are bored.

So does anybody have any similar arguments as mine as to why Sora is or is not a likely candidate?
I think that when it comes to characters like Sora, there's that anti-anime stigma, since it's known that feelings about anime tend to blend over into Japanese RPGs.

Okay, so maybe Sora could appear in Brawl. And so could Cloud Strife, and Kenshin Himura, and while we're at it, why not add the world's most popular anime character, Naruto?

Imagine how many people suddenly turned into this :mad: upon reading those words.

That said, I think that Sora would be an interesting choice for Brawl. Like you said, it would be a great business opportuity for SE and Nintendo (although, knowing SE, they'd probably use a character from an upcoming FF, or just make up a new character for Brawl, and not use Sora. Also, knowing Nintendo, they'd probably have a greater tendency to use a non-human third party character). And his defensive magifighter style would be more of a unique twist for the game (we don't see enough defensive fighters these days). There would be some weird problems, problems I think Snake might run into, given that Sora's games have VO, whereas Brawl will probably not. That could be kinda odd; the last thing I wanna hear is Haley Joel Osment's versions of: "Come on!" and "Misshan Comprete!" :p If they include Sora they need to represent him well. Same with Snake.

As a KH fan, I'd be very happy if Sora was included and was also true to his KH series character. He's got plenty of potential as a Smash character, he's got appeal on both sides of the Pacific Ocean and he's just the sort of slap-to-the-face bundle of joy Brawl could use for an unlockable character.

del-boy

Smash Journeyman

KH
KH FM+
KHII
KHII FM+

1. All of them games are ff games.

2. Yes they could but that games is not comeing out near brawl.

3. Sorry I mean 6, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep(comeing sometime in 2009) you play as Terra, Aqua and Ven.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Im a huge KH fan, but if sora did not make it I would completely understand. I want him in don't get me wrong.. but I understand his chances.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
his chances are extremely low unfortunetly, but we can still hope (and pray that he might possibly make it)

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I dont see a Final Fantasy in all but one of those Titles. A chocobo.. would be weird.

Mario: Its-a me-a! Mario!
Chocobo: SKREEEE!
Sonic: We're havin Chicken tonight!

I'd rather see a Moogle over a Chocobo in Brawl.

But i'd rather see Sora over any other Square character.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, if Square Enix decided to put in content, the only playable character that would appear would be Geno.

Sora is good, no doubt about that; I honestly love the KH series. However...there are virtually no ties to Nintendo in Kingdom Hearts.

And a Chocobo doe not deserve to even be a Sticker, so ha.

A Moogle on the other hand...is...completely...awesome.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Honestly, if Square Enix decided to put in content, the only playable character that would appear would be Geno.

Sora is good, no doubt about that; I honestly love the KH series. However...there are virtually no ties to Nintendo in Kingdom Hearts.

And a Chocobo doe not deserve to even be a Sticker, so ha.

A Moogle on the other hand...is...completely...awesome.

Chocobo has appeared on how many games on Nintendo?

FF2, FF3, FF4, FF5, FF6, FFCC, FFTA, FFTA2
Chocobo Tales, Chocobo's Dungeon,

Sora has appeared in how many games in a Nintendo Console?
KH:CoM (non GBA exclusive)

Umm.. WHO doesn't deserve to be a sticker again?

The Chocobo franchise is HOT in Japan. VERY popular. KH has hardly done anything for Nintendo (but I support Sora anyway).

If you can picture Yoshi fighting, you'd have no problem seeing Chocobo fighting. In his game he even has Job classes.

Oh and uh.. Chocobo was the MOST wanted 3rd party character for Melee. So think carefully before saying a big word like "deserving". :p Just a tip.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Chocobo has appeared on how many games on Nintendo?

FF2, FF3, FF4, FF5, FF6, FFCC, FFTA, FFTA2
Chocobo Tales, Chocobo's Dungeon,

Sora has appeared in how many games in a Nintendo Console?
KH:CoM (non GBA exclusive)

Umm.. WHO doesn't deserve to be a sticker again?

The Chocobo franchise is HOT in Japan. VERY popular. KH has hardly done anything for Nintendo (but I support Sora anyway).

If you can picture Yoshi fighting, you'd have no problem seeing Chocobo fighting. In his game he even has Job classes.

Oh and uh.. Chocobo was the MOST wanted 3rd party character for Melee. So think carefully before saying a big word like "deserving". :p Just a tip.
Star in game > Apperance in game. And Melee was years ago. Sakurai obviously has a diffrent plan. and diffrent Ideas. or else we'd have

SUPER SMASH BROTHERS MELEE... TWO!!!!

If Chocobo wasent one of the most wanted for Brawl, then theres not much of a chance for him/her/it getting in. Snake's people -begged- for him to be in melee. they said it was too late and that they'd put him in the next game. and that's happened.

Edit: I just had an idea....

Chocobo/Final Fantasy reps that are actualy -STAR- in a final Fantasy game/mog
are owned by Square.

Sora is owned by Disney.

Both are third party..

So really...

We -could- have both. theres almost no chance of getting a character from a Disney/Square game and a character from a Square game in the same game as third party. but its a possibility. One I rather like.

I still Disaprove of Chocobo though..

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
^^^

Well, you just proved my point right there.

Snake and Sonic (and Chocobo) were wanted for Melee. Even Metaknight was wanted for Melee.

Now Snake Sonic and Metaknight are in Brawl, so there's a high chance that the Chocobo might get in.

Perhaps the only thing that puts odds against him is that he is not among the list that Sakurai finds the most interesting. (Or.. maybe he was added to the roster from the beginning, like Sonic, and therefore was not mentioned in the polls).

And believe me, Chocobo is the star of his own games. He has a dozen Japan exclusive games of his own, some of which were released in the western continents. People only look at him as the means of transportation in FF games, but outside FF, he's worth a lot more. More than Mog, that's for sure.

... Chains of Memories was completely remade and made better for the PS2... how can we beat that?
Even though Sora's chances are low.. Sakurai has gained his interest nevertheless... So he does have a good chance.

But we just have to wait, I guess..

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I know Chocobo has his/her/its own games. and if it was to be in Brawl it'd be from those games. But personaly. I think that If a Square rep comes. it'll be KH or FF.

we'll never know.

untill we're told.

Re Com: was japan only anyway...

Um, huh?

Sakurai has made groundrules and boundaries for playable characters for a reason. Just because Sora barely qualifies does not mean that he's all of a sudden important to Nintendo.

And the way you talk about Stickers, it's as if you feel them so different from Trophies.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
I wouldn't believe that sora would be in brawl if Jesus was shoving a jagged rock up my *** wile sakurai was beating me in the face with a lead pipe wile jesus and sakurai was saying "sora will be in brawl".

Cosine

Smash Apprentice
I do agree that sora would be assume, but I only think he has a chance is the next Kingdom Hearts game were to be on the Wii, which I hered may happen, and hes owned completely by Disney

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I do agree that sora would be assume, but I only think he has a chance is the next Kingdom Hearts game were to be on the Wii, which I hered may happen, and hes owned completely by Disney
which, like i've said time after time. is the reason he could be in. Disney is a diff 3rd party company than Square. So we could get Sora and a Square rep.

Lol. Link 2 Sora Support Thread :p http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=125445

My moveset and junk is page 11.

Hope you all enjoi, Sorry if this has been linked before. I stole afew of SamuraiPanda's Ideas. I'll give teh cred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom