• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sora: A new perspective on why he might make it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Generic? Sora may not be the most creative character in existence, but generic just isn't the right word.

Ralph_Marquee

Smash Journeyman
No, is not a joke, Sora isn't generic, that is the most ******** thing I've read today.
Sora is VERY generic. A lil kid with a heart of gold. He is always willing to protect his friends and others before himself. Many video game protagonists share these exact same qualities.

He gets the girl Kairi, even though it isnt fully confirmed. Sora is mad wack, you might as well call Pit Sora, they look like twins bro. I don't really care what you say because your just a lil kid 2,000> miles away that I'm never gonna see anyway, so who cares?

Black/Light

Smash Master
Chain of Memories is not enough to grant Sora a spot in Brawl, that game means **** to both Nintendo and the KH series.
ONE GAME IS enuff to get a 3rd party in. . . .which is why he was on the poll . . .cause thats the rules set up by Sakurai:ohwell:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Sora is VERY generic. A lil kid with a heart of gold. He is always willing to protect his friends and others before himself. Many video game protagonists share these exact same qualities.

He gets the girl Kairi, even though it isnt fully confirmed. Sora is mad wack, you might as well call Pit Sora, they look like twins bro. I don't really care what you say because your just a lil kid 2,000> miles away that I'm never gonna see anyway, so who cares?
Wow, you sure are are mature and everything calling others little kids and making generalizations because we're on the internet. :ohwell:

Guess you might as well call every other video game character like that generic as well. They don't deserve to be in Brawl. None of them. Forget about Link. Forget about Isaac... Oh wait... he's in your signature. :o Tell me, why do you support such a generic character?

Ralph_Marquee

Smash Journeyman
Look, I'm not trying to file a complaint of racism okay? I don't feel Sora fits in brawl. He has a boring look. He looks like a kid in Mickey Mouse pajamas (shoes, pants, etc.). Isaac, Mario, Link etc. look unique.

Sora looks an average little boy who's a Mickey Mouse fanboy. He goes to high school and gets an F in math class just like everyone else.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Your reasoning against Sora is flawed.

Sora looks boring... Yeah. That's called an opinion. I've met people who think Isaac looks boring. People who think he looks like Cloud. I see they're making the same generalizations you are.

vesperview

Smash Hero
ONE GAME IS enuff to get a 3rd party in. . . .which is why he was on the poll . . .cause thats the rules set up by Sakurai:ohwell:
I know he is on the poll and that he has a chance, yeah, but as I said a crappy installment of his series that doesn't mean anything to Nintendo nor to the KH series is not enough to grant him a spot in Brawl, Sora means as much to Nintendo as Cloud, meaning, if you want to play their good games get a PlayStation.

Ralph_Marquee

Smash Journeyman
Your reasoning against Sora is flawed.

Sora looks boring... Yeah. That's called an opinion. I've met people who think Isaac looks boring. People who think he looks like Cloud. I see they're making the same generalizations you are.
I agree Isaac looks like Cloud. The resemblance is uncanny. Anyway, you must be from France or something....

Sora is still total wack to me and I hope and know he isn't in Brawl. That is all.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I know he is on the poll and that he has a chance, yeah, but as I said a crappy installment of his series that doesn't mean anything to Nintendo nor to the KH series is not enough to grant him a spot in Brawl, Sora means as much to Nintendo as Cloud, meaning, if you want to play their good games get a PlayStation.
. . . .So now his game has to be some big flashy installment to get him in? What, does it have to be a console gae aswell? Sorry but these are all opinions. . . .as fare as you know Nintendo could be have been fighting for him to get into brawl just to make sure that the next console KH is Wii only.

Rules : Must be a video game character and MUST have had atleast ONE game on a Nintendo system. Theres the rules laid out for ya. . . nice and bold.

vesperview

Smash Hero
. . . .So now his game has to be some big flashy installment to get him in? What, does it have to be a console gae aswell? Sorry but these are all opinions. . . .as fare as you know Nintendo could be have been fighting for him to get into brawl just to make sure that the next console KH is Wii only.

Rules : Must be a video game character and MUST have had atleast ONE game on a Nintendo system. Theres the rules laid out for ya. . . nice and bold.
That's not opinion everybody knows Chain Of Memories SUCKS compared to any of the Kingdom Hearts on the PlayStation, what you are saying is pure speculation, there is an upcoming KH game for the DS that as far as we know doesn't even feature Sora as a playable character, so there, plus Square has been known for just taking a dump on Nintendo with crappy spinoffs and irrelevant sequels, if Nintendo was looking for exclusive Square titles, they would be fighting for Final Fantasy not Kingdom Hearts.

RikyuXz

Smash Cadet
I agree with you because not many people are rooting for sora to be in and he would fit as a minor "wtf" char. But i think the thing about him replacing young link is..just no. I mean, like, young link was a (cooler imo [im a young link main]) clone of link and so if sora was to be at least an extremely vague replacement of young link, he'd also be kinda of a clone as link. On a side note, what do you think his moveset would look like? I can immagine magic spells and random sword swings more like a repplacement of roy or something.

besides... Pit kinda suits a vague replacement of young link already. (bow...short swords...same smashes..quick...what else can i say?)

vesperview

Smash Hero
I agree with you because not many people are rooting for sora to be in and he would fit as a minor "wtf" char. But i think the thing about him replacing young link is..just no. I mean, like, young link was a (cooler imo [im a young link main]) clone of link and so if sora was to be at least an extremely vague replacement of young link, he'd also be kinda of a clone as link. On a side note, what do you think his moveset would look like? I can immagine magic spells and random sword swings more like a repplacement of roy or something.

besides... Pit kinda suits a vague replacement of young link already. (bow...short swords...same smashes..quick...what else can i say?)
How is Sora a replacement for Young Link? I must've missed the Zelda game where Sora appeared lol.

Black/Light

Smash Master
That's not opinion everybody knows Chain Of Memories SUCKS compared to any of the Kingdom Hearts on the PlayStation, WHICH MEANS NOTHING. My Point. . .and the game got remade on the PS2 so it must be of some importantance to S/E and KH fans what you are saying is pure speculation, And what you are saying has NOTHING to do with a character getting in. Again, my point. . . there is an upcoming KH game for the DS that as far as we know doesn't even feature Sora as a playable character, soooooo. . . .what? maybe Sora is in brawl to promtoe the KH series cause of this:p so there, where? plus Square has been known for just taking a dump on Nintendo with crappy spinoffs and irrelevant sequels, if Nintendo was looking for exclusive Square titles, they would be fighting for Final Fantasy not Kingdom Hearts. 1. Speculation on your part as you call it. 2. FFCC is nintendo only. . . spinoff or not its a good series. They have a group named after CC who work only on nintendo platforms. Don't look like they care about doing non-FFCC stuff for the N when it comes to FF.
So your main standing point is "KH:CM sucked and isn't enuff to get Sora in!"? I proved that wrong. . . that was never apart of the rules so please, stop using that as a reason "hater" (yes, I used "hater" cause thats such a weak stance that theres no reason to even bring it up. . .unless your a hater looking for anything.)

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
sword,young male protagonist with spiky hair, impossible to identify gender at a glance, It's all the same! we need new flavor! like a blue spiky haired animal who runs fast, but that's not possible.

vesperview

Smash Hero
So your main standing point is "KH:CM sucked and isn't enuff to get Sora in!"? I proved that wrong. . . that was never apart of the rules so please, stop using that as a reason "hater" (yes, I used "hater" cause thats such a weak stance that theres no reason to even bring it up. . .unless your a hater looking for anything.)
I bet you don't even have a good reason to have Sora included in the game right? You're only argument is "Lol, he is on Nintendo I proved you wrong" while it isn't stated that the game had to be good or at least represent a success to Nintendo, most people just assume that, plus what is it supposed to say in Sora's trophy? first appearance KH playstation 2, is a slap in the face to Nintendo, reason why so many people in these boards hate the idea of having Sora in Brawl, same reason why most people hate the idea of Cloud being in Brawl, why don't you come to terms with the fact that Sora doesn't mean anything to Nintendo? They are not just gonna put characters out of nowhere, they are gonna put characters that mean something to the company like Megaman and if Chain Of Memories got remade to appear with Final Mix was because it sucked so much on the GBA, they even changed the graphics and gameplay to fit the mood of the Playstation games, if Sora is in Sakurai's poll is because Square doesn't have in Nintendo a character that:

a) Is the main lead of it's series throughout all of it's span, despite having Crono, but since the Chrono series is apparently dead at the moment, that means they don't have a better choice than Sora, because there isn't a set lead in the Final Fantasy series.
b) Isn't generic like Black Mage, Moogle and Cactuar, who appeared on Mario Hoops.

Maybe you like Crystal Chronicles and Chain Of Memories, but most people would disagree, so I'm not speculating anything, both Chain Of Memories and Crystal Chronicles are an insult to their franchises, maybe you settle for less quality and that's why you don't mind that Chrystal Chronicles is Nintendo only, which I don't see the perks, because any FF fan hates that game, so it's basically like Square was saying to Nintendo "We're gonna do our main series (the good ones from VII to XIII) on the PlayStation and we'll come and give you a crappy spinoff so you don't feel left out" everybody knows that even if you disagree and KH is nowhere near being Nintendo exclusive, they also have an upcoming game on the PSP that guess what? Doesn't include Sora either, so get your facts straight, you can probably only expect Chain Of Memories II after KH3 hits it big on the PS3, now that's speculation but not very far from what could actually happen.

Now that I've given you the cons of Sora, why don't you give me a better reason to include him rather than, "He's on the poll and has a ****ty game on the GBA, he SO deserves to be in Brawl", I'm sure you can't.

BTW, I'm not a Sora hater, I'm a hater of Sora appearing in Brawl, I admit he has a chance, but he doesn't deserve the spot because as I said he means nothing to Nintendo's history, now is that "speculation", too? I doubt it.

HollabackRyu

Smash Journeyman
I don't feel Sora fits in brawl. He has a boring look. He looks like a kid in Mickey Mouse pajamas (shoes, pants, etc.). Isaac, Mario, Link etc. look unique.

Sora looks an average little boy who's a Mickey Mouse fanboy. He goes to high school and gets an F in math class just like everyone else.
Lol wut?

You're an idiot, you probably hadn't even seen Sora before making that comment, so here is a picture, even Mario has more of an ordinary attire than Sora, so STFU!

HollabackRyu

Smash Journeyman
I've seen some people throwing around Sora as a character suggestion, and while that is fine by me, I don't really care if he really makes it. But I started thinking about what Sakurai might do, and Sora definitely looks likely. Here is my analysis of what Sakurai has been doing, and the general Japanese perspective that leads to my conclusion:

When Sakurai redesigned Pit, he said that he kept in mind what is "popular" today but he meant popular in the Japanese perspective. Pit looks like he could be out of a Final Fantasy game (kinda), because the whole "young teen" look is the rage in Japan. So this establishes that Sakurai DOES keep in mind what is popular, but mostly in a Japanese perspective.

Kingdom Hearts includes Final Fantasy characters, which are loved worldwide and ESPECIALLY in Japan. Famitsu took a poll and found out that, among the top 10 things that were announced at E3, the Final Fantasy announcements took all the top slots (Snake in Brawl being the only non-Sony announcement in the top 10 was somewhere around 5-6), and FFXII recently recieved a PERFECT score from Famitsu, something only 6 games have ever done before, and is definitely an achievement.

Kingdom Hearts also includes Disney characters, whom are also known worldwide, and appeal to the younger kids as well. We know that Sakurai keeps in mind the wide audience that plays Smash, an example being that Snake doesn't use guns in the game.

Square-Enix and Nintendo have had a rough relationship, which they have been recently trying very hard to refresh. Square-Enix is incredibly popular all around the world, and Nintendo knows that. So from a buisness perspective it also makes sense. And don't forget that Kingdom Hearts is crazy popular, too.

Sora FITS Smash Bros, and he provides a character younger than Marth or Roy that is realistic. A possible replacement for Young Link if they decide to put in the cell-shaded version instead.

I'm sure that there are more points (and I think I had more when I decided to type this up) but this should be good for now.

As a recap:

-Sora's style is popular in Japan, and Sakurai knows that.
-Final Fantasy characters are crazy popular
-Disney characters are also popular, and provide a larger fanbase outside of Japan
-Square and Nintendo are trying to patch up their relationship anyways
-Kingdom Hearts is ALSO very popular
-Sora fits Smash Bros, and can provide a niche that other characters can't fill (or perhaps replace that niche lost if the realistic Young Link is taken out)

What do you guys think?
Funny how you don't mention Kingdom Heart's Nintendo achievements.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
The only thing Sora really has going for him is popularity. And Sakurai himself said he doesn't put characters in just because they're popular.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I bet you don't even have a good reason to have Sora included in the game right?

THE POINT IS THAT I DON'T NEED SOME SUPER REASON!
Never said he was getting in and never said he is "likely". YOU, on the other hand, are talking as if he has no chance.

He goes by the rules of what one must be to get into smash as a 3rd Party PC. . . THATS enuff for him to get in. No one, not you nor I, have the LEST bit of idea as to what other 3rd party characters will show up in smash other than Snake and Sonic nor what bases/ reasons Nintendo would choose to ask for said characters. My only stance on 3rd party characters is that they have to be POPULAR so that both Nintendo and said party get something out of the deal. . . and even THAT is a assumption and not a truth.:ohwell:

And no, I didn't read that wall-o-text but saw something interesting.
If KH being highly connected to Sony means anything than Nintendo would have shot down the idea of Snake being in. If anything I think it would be a slap in the face of sony to have yet another of their popular mainly PS characters show up on a (and help sell a) nintendo game for the Wii which is crushing the PS3 as of now.

Really, you are simply making up assumptions that amount to opinions based on nothing more than your point of view about how a 3rd party character is chosen. 3rd party characters are very different to reg Nintendo characters in the fact that we have no idea who is talking to who in regards about this.

vesperview

Smash Hero
THE POINT IS THAT I DON'T NEED SOME SUPER REASON!
Never said he was getting in and never said he is "likely". YOU, on the other hand, are talking as if he has no chance.

He goes by the rules of what one must be to get into smash as a 3rd Party PC. . . THATS enuff for him to get in. No one, not you nor I, have the LEST bit of idea as to what other 3rd party characters will show up in smash other than Snake and Sonic nor what bases/ reasons Nintendo would choose to ask for said characters. My only stance on 3rd party characters is that they have to be POPULAR so that both Nintendo and said party get something out of the deal. . . and even THAT is a assumption and not a truth.:ohwell:

And no, I didn't read that wall-o-text but saw something interesting.
If KH being highly connected to Sony means anything than Nintendo would have shot down the idea of Snake being in. If anything I think it would be a slap in the face of sony to have yet another of their popular mainly PS characters show up on a (and help sell a) nintendo game for the Wii which is crushing the PS3 as of now.

Really, you are simply making up assumptions that amount to opinions based on nothing more than your point of view about how a 3rd party character is chosen. 3rd party characters are very different to reg Nintendo characters in the fact that we have no idea who is talking to who in regards about this.
First off, Snake started out on Nintendo and had a title in the Gamecube and if he is in Brawl is because Kojima begged for him to appear... second, you have just proven my point that you do not have a good reason for Sora to be in Brawl rather than "He's been on GBA, he SO deserves it" and third if you are not gonna read the post completely, don't bother replying, cause I'm sure you can't argue most things I said in that post and learn to read cause I have clearly stated he has a chance what I'm saying is he doesn't deserve to be among Nintendo's finest when he means nothing to Nintendo.

ComradeCanada

Smash Journeyman
Just a quick point for those who say COM doesn't count because it's horrible; the only game Snake has that's truly Nintendo exclusive is Snake's Revenge, and Kojima actually canceled that from cannon, it was that bad.

Ok, continue.

GodzillaSmasher

Smash Cadet
I think Sora would be cool. One of his possibilities is a Fow McCloud costume. Based on KHII, he could use the Ice Spell instead of the blaster, Relfectera or Aero instead of the Reflecter, and Sonic instead of Fox Illusion(assuming that returns).

Black/Light

Smash Master
First off, Snake started out on Nintendo
No, you mean MSX2. . .which aint a nintendo console
and had a title in the Gamecube
And KH has a title on the GBA and DS. . .
and if he is in Brawl is because Kojima begged for him to appear...
SOOOOOO, this character who isn't important to Nintendo in the least got in by other means than w/e you call "deserveing" right?

second, you have just proven my point that you do not have a good reason for Sora to be in Brawl rather than "He's been on GBA, he SO deserves it"
DUDE, get it past your thick head! I am not saying/ claiming/ debating in any shape, form or way how "likely" Sora is there for I don't need to state how deserving I see him. IDC really, Im simply saying that the crap your throwing is made up BS.

Must have been in atleast ONE video game on a Nintendo platform and must have started in video games. . . .THERE, anything in that range can get in according to the man who is making this game. If Sakurai gave 2 craps about how "deserving" you think characters are he would have upped that to 3-4+ games don't you think? According to the mo jos making this game Sora can be in. . . don't know how a made up character "deserves" anything in the first place. He picks w/e he and his team wants to pick so in the end w/e you think is "deserving" means nothing.

and third if you are not gonna read the post completely, don't bother replying, cause I'm sure you can't argue most things I said in that post
Too bad Im not debating. Thats my flipping point. YOU seem to think I have to come up with some arguement as to why he should be in when Im simply trying to correct this twisted view point your throwing around.

and learn to read cause I have clearly stated he has a chance what I'm saying is he doesn't deserve to be among Nintendo's finest when he means nothing to Nintendo.
OOHHH, Now I see. . . .your one of THOSE people? Just went down from "confused about what allows a character to get in" to " one of those crazy half purist who toss around the word "deserve" as if they have any say on the matter". Sorry, I thought we where talking on logical terms. . . not the made up land of how "deserving" sprites and 3D mods are to get into a game when they clearly meet the things Sakurai asked for.:ohwell:

Peace. . . .you are on your own in lalaland homs.

vesperview

Smash Hero
No, you mean MSX2. . .which aint a nintendo console
And KH has a title on the GBA and DS. . .[/COLOR] SOOOOOO, this character who isn't important to Nintendo in the least got in by other means than w/e you call "deserveing" right?

DUDE, get it past your thick head! I am not saying/ claiming/ debating in any shape, form or way how "likely" Sora is there for I don't need to state how deserving I see him. IDC really, Im simply saying that the crap your throwing is made up BS.

Must have been in atleast ONE video game on a Nintendo platform and must have started in video games. . . .THERE, anything in that range can get in according to the man who is making this game. If Sakurai gave 2 craps about how "deserving" you think characters are he would have upped that to 3-4+ games don't you think? According to the mo jos making this game Sora can be in. . . don't know how a made up character "deserves" anything in the first place. He picks w/e he and his team wants to pick so in the end w/e you think is "deserving" means nothing.

Too bad Im not debating. Thats my flipping point. YOU seem to think I have to come up with some arguement as to why he should be in when Im simply trying to correct this twisted view point your throwing around.

OOHHH, Now I see. . . .your one of THOSE people? Just went down from "confused about what allows a character to get in" to " one of those crazy half purist who toss around the word "deserve" as if they have any say on the matter". Sorry, I thought we where talking on logical terms. . . not the made up land of how "deserving" sprites and 3D mods are to get into a game when they clearly meet the things Sakurai asked for.:ohwell:

Peace. . . .you are on your own in lalaland homs.
Wow... can you actually argue with something worth replying to? seriously, you never argue my points just say the same **** over and over again, stop wasting my time and yours, I'm asking you for a good argument to support Sora, not asking you if he has a chance, cause we have both clearly agreed that he does.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
a crappy installment of his series that doesn't mean anything to Nintendo nor to the KH series is not enough to grant him a spot in Brawl
CoM is just as critical to the KH series as either of the other games. What delusion is everyone suffering from that makes them think CoM doesn't mean anything to the series? It's canon. I'll give you that it doesn't really have any huge ties to Nintendo itself, but it's just as much a KH game as KH or KH2.

I agree Isaac looks like Cloud. The resemblance is uncanny. Anyway, you must be from France or something....

Sora is still total wack to me and I hope and know he isn't in Brawl. That is all.
To hope for something (or in this case, the absence of something) implies that you don't know it's status yet (which is true. Technically, you don't know if Sora is in Brawl or not). So to say you "hope and know" something is basically a contradiction.

By the way, the best advice I can give you as a fellow human being is to stop using the word "wack". Surely you can think of a better way of expressing how much you don't want Sora in Brawl.

sword,young male protagonist with spiky hair, impossible to identify gender at a glance, It's all the same! we need new flavor! like a blue spiky haired animal who runs fast, but that's not possible.
Sora doesn't have a sword. He has a really big key. GAWD. GET IT RIGHT. *huffs and puffs*

Wow... can you actually argue with something worth replying to? seriously, you never argue my points just say the same **** over and over again, stop wasting my time and yours, I'm asking you for a good argument to support Sora, not asking you if he has a chance, cause we have both clearly agreed that he does.
The thing you keep missing is that Black/Light isn't trying to argue Sora's chances with you. I'm sure he doesn't want to "prove" Sora's chances to you because I think we can all agree that his chances are nowhere near stellar. Black/Light's whole point (from what I can tell as an observer) seems to be that Sora's got a chance in. You agree. So there's no reason to argue. You keep hounding him for reasons on why Sora "deserves" to be in, when he was never arguing it in the first place.

In addition, to be completely fair, what he's saying is true. The junk about relevance to Nintendo and deservedness is all fan-made BS. Yes, it DOES make sense. What you're saying is perfectly logical. But it's not an explicitly stated rule. Sakurai never said a character needed to be heavily related to Nintendo, it just doesn't help Sora's odds that he's not.

I think we can all agree that Sora has a chance in, but his chances are dim. No need to argue over things we all agree on.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Again, can you people really understand what my first post in this thread was? I never said he didn't have a chance or that the deserving thing is an established rule, I said he shouldn't be in Brawl because he means nothing to Nintendo, I know that's an opinion, but most people would agree with it, I'm just sick that Black/Light can't respect an opinion and everytime he replies he just says the same "Sakurai never said that" ****.

Black/Light

Smash Master
"DUDE, get it past your thick head! I am not saying/ claiming/ debating in any shape, form or way how "likely" Sora is there for I don't need to state how deserving I see him. IDC really, Im simply saying that the crap your throwing is made up BS."

Dude, read that please. Im not going to debate about how "deserving" Sora is cause guess what? He is a character who meets the things Sakurai is asking for. I would do that for and Nintendo character but this is a whole other d*** thing. . . nothing to go off of but what Sakurai said bout 3rd party characters anf thats a whole land of things we have n clues about.

THAT is what you call argueing just to argue...when theres NOTHING to prove how someone sees something given their statements. Thats like "Samm" saying he will only eat 2-3 sweet things thats bigger than his hand. . . no where near enuff info to debate about which is why I stick with Nintendo only character debate.

Peace Lala land.

And thank you NRC. That is what Im saying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom