• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sora: A new perspective on why he might make it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony_

Smash Ace
No Sora also appeared on the GBA...Kingdom Hearts: Chain Of Memories
I know that, but in the KHII Final Mix + You get a 3D version of the game, and I also know about the DS title. Its still not changing his chances. The only reason I think that CoM appeared on a Nintendo system is because of reaching out to people.

Sora is owned by Disney, not Sony. He does deserve a place in Brawl because he fits in very nicely, plus, thanks to Kingdom Hearts II, his moves could be easy to find
You have your facts mixed up there. Sora's character is owned by Square-Enix, NOT Disney. Also, his move set would be very bland and very horrid looking.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
I know that, but in the KHII Final Mix + You get a 3D version of the game, and I also know about the DS title. Its still not changing his chances. The only reason I think that CoM appeared on a Nintendo system is because of reaching out to people.

Fighter before BlackMage.
yeah buts that only a 3d version....it still the same game based on the GBA version..and what DS title are u tlking about???

Talendime

Smash Ace
I think it's that 358/2 days thing.

Not much is given about it just yet so don't worry, you haven't missed anything.

nobletoast

Smash Journeyman
How I see things is if a Third Party character is important to Nintendo that they should be considered for inclusion BUT only if their also popular. On top of that the character should have some moveset potential and bring something new to the game.

Solid Snake is all of these except important to Nintendos history. But if you look at it as 'Snake is representing Sony and ergo representing an important part of Nintendos history....their competition with Sony'.

Sonic is all of these since his rivalry with Mario is an important part of gaming history. Would Nintendo have strived to make Mario 64 such a sucess if they didnt have competition from Sonic? Maybe, maybe not. Either way hes way to popular to ignore.

Mega Man, Bomberman, Banjo-Kazooie, Pacman, Simon Belmont....all important to a lesser extent and popular to a lesser extent but stand a chance.

The theres Sora. He has no relevance to Nintendo at all to be fair and wouldnt exactly attract a different crowd of gamers to Smash (ie - Snake). He offers no nostalgia and offers no originality. Smash also isnt lacking that anime style that appeals to many of its fans since we have Fire Emblem characters. Then theres the fact theres alot of people who cant stand him. Me included. Then theres the fact that Square-Enix has a few characters in their catalogue to loan Nintendo that are important to their history and popular and offer interesting movesets - Black Mage for example.

If Sakurai had said in an interview that there will be 10 third party characters in Brawl it could be likely but since he said theres only going to be three there is no chance Sora is getting in over Sonic, Megaman, Simon Belmont, Bomberman, Pacman, Banjo-Kazooie etc...

So: I take into account Sora was on Sakurais poll and my bias has left me far from objective here but

No I dont agree....sorry.

Devotion

Smash Apprentice
I'd love Sora to get in brawl and I've supported the idea since I saw he was on Sakurai's poll. He still has a chance, not a great one but still there is a chance he could make it. Most people just don't acknowledge his chances since they hate either Sora, Square-Enix, Final Fantasy, etc.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
You said it yourself, they have had a bad relationship. Putting FF characters in Brawl is like getting married right after getting over a big fight (example: cheating) or something like that.
Well maybe they are trying to improve the relationship.

I don't care either way if sora is in but it does seem a possibility...

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind Sora in Brawl, however with such a harsh limit on third party characters, I really think Mega Man, or from square, Geno, kind of deserves the "last" slot more.

However, since the release date was screwed with, is it possible that Sakurai was being approximate with the number of third parties? Perhaps so, perhaps not.

BKBroiler

Smash Cadet
Someone probably has said this already, but there is a new Kingdom Hearts game coming out on the DS. Just throwing that out there.

I personally love the Kingdom Hearts series, and would love to see Sora in SSBB, but I will not be disapointed if he isn't in.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Is Sora on Sakurai's poll? I'm too lazy to check right now.

Anyway, he should DEFINITELY be in Brawl. For one thing, the Kingdom Hearts series has been one of the most popular series yet. It has the popular Final Fantasy (which will probably be the one seen in Brawl) and Disney for the little ones. Nintendo and Square Enix don't HATE each other. They just don't get along very well. I doubt that they would be too busy fighting to make some money off of advertising their character in Brawl.

Nintendo should definitely put Sora in. Just think of how much the sales will increase and how much more excited gamers will be.

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo and Squeenix may have been on better terms in the past...but then why Sora? Even IF there was representation from them, Sora is one of the least possible choices (slightly ahead of, say, Palom and Porom). A BIG part of the Smash line is the history of Nintendo. Hence, the trophies, the inclusion of old franchises that have little chance of remake, heck, the characters in general. All point to the universes of Nintendo.

Sora has NO impact whatsoever on any of this.

The ONLY thing that Sora has going for him is "he's popular." If that were a valid reason, then he still wouldn't because Master Chief is way more popular than Sora is. And Cloud/FF7 characters more still.

What has Sora done for Nintendo? What has he done for video games? His only purpose is to serve as a generic connection in what is essentially an official Disney doujin game. And oh my, how generic! Ridiculous spiky hair, poofy pants, fights with what is essentially a spiffy-looking sword...At least when Cloud did it, it wasn't stereotyped just yet.

If we wanted a generic character from Square/Enix, how about something that actually stems from the series with a Nintendo history?

No Sora. Please, no Sora.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Master C has never been on a Nintendo system and Cloud has only be in a cameo role on a KH game for a nintendo system. If anyone wants to make alot of money on the deal they would choose a relavent star of a series.

The rules are simple. . . .must have appeared on a Nintendo system and MUST have started as a video game character. All that impact crap was just made up by fans.

If Nintendo and Sakurai ask for Sora and get him than he will be in Brawl. . . simple and clean as that ( yes, thats a KH referance)

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
I still highly doubt that. For one, it's Square-Enix, for two, it's Disney. For three, they both like money, and they'd have to pay a buttload for the licensing.

Is it possible? Very unlikely, but still possible, yes. There's still very little reason for him to be included other than "he's popular."

vydran212

Smash Journeyman
OK, you do bring up good points for the possibility of Sora being in Brawl, and do I see it happening? Possibly. However, if Squeenix were to have a representative I would hope that it's Geno. If Geno gets confirmed, I don't know if Sakurai would be willing to call upon another representative..

Okysho

Smash Ace
Hm... Perhaps I worded it wrong.

I'm not really talking about who "deserves" to be in the game, or who I "want" to be in the game. I'm taking a very arbitrary and buisness-like viewpoint when I say that I believe Sora is a likely choice for Sakurai and Nintendo to choose as another 3rd party character.

Especially since Megaman, everyone's favorite 3rd party char other than Sonic, has actually lost popularity with the masses. In fact, Capcom has already decided not to make a Megaman game for the Wii because of this. Megaman's creator has come out and said he would love to make another game for the Wii, and he has ideas, but Capcom doesn't want to put too much into Megaman anymore because people are bored.

So does anybody have any similar arguments as mine as to why Sora is or is not a likely candidate?
Nintendo and square just aren't on the right foot... for the most part that's the biggest factor. Though I'm sure a lot of random square fans would be ecstatic about it, I doubt that many hard-core Nintendo fans would support it considering that he only had one appearance in a game on a Nintendo system and was never that popular in the first place.

The point I'm trying to make here I suppose, is that Square never had enough devotion to Nintendo. It was always more of a Sony company, sort of like how Intelligent systems and retro studios is to Nintendo, except that Square is a little more independent.

Square is too much associated with Sony and not enough with Nintendo to be awarded the privilege of a character position in the roster.

Having said that, the issue with Snake is that Kojima BEGGED Sakurai to let him into brawl... (probably because Snake's games haven't been doing well [I do'nt kow I don't play metal gear, nor do I have any sony systems]) and needed some support. Either way, it's because Kojima came to Sakurai rather than Sakurai needing more characters and decided to ask kojima, which is the major factor when it comes to less likely characters that could potentially worm their way into smash bros.

just some food for thought.

Personally I'm against Sora being in brawl, specifically for that reason, but I wouldn't be overly pissed if he did get in, unlike some people... (evil eye to Marth haters)

Okysho

Smash Ace
Sonic is all of these since his rivalry with Mario is an important part of gaming history. Would Nintendo have strived to make Mario 64 such a sucess if they didnt have competition from Sonic? Maybe, maybe not. Either way hes way to popular to ignore.
but consider this, when Sega no longer produced systems, they sort of exclusivly sold their rights to Nintendo until the release of Sonic heroes (in other words nintendo got all the good remakes until the crappy ones became multi platformed) but doesn't that sort of say that Sega and Nintendo were never really bitter rivals considering that they've been working together on a lot of projects since the release of the gamecube itself, and then their first real colaboraiton together in F-Zero GX which is also strange because F-Zero was completely nintendo before that game

626key

Smash Journeyman
80% says someone from KH will be in it because of the list of composers (excuse spelling) it says the composers from kingdom hearts will be in it and list them as there composers.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
80% says someone from KH will be in it because of the list of composers (excuse spelling) it says the composers from kingdom hearts will be in it and list them as there composers.
The list you're referring to has been brought up before. And it's worth noting that composers from the Wild Arms series, the Grandia series, Sylpheed series, Luminous Arc, and a whole mess of other games I've never heard are also amongst the names on that list. Do you think characters from those games are getting in (if they even are games; for all I know, they could be underground dog fighting circuits)?

Not to fight against my own cause here (I fully support Sora for Brawl), but the composers list theory has been brought up and shot down time and again.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I still highly doubt that. For one, it's Square-Enix, for two, it's Disney. For three, they both like money, and they'd have to pay a buttload for the licensing.

Is it possible? Very unlikely, but still possible, yes. There's still very little reason for him to be included other than "he's popular."
Sora is owned by Disney. . .period.

And seeing as Disney hearts nintendo (sees them as "the Disney of video games" according to Disney people) I can't see there being too much that could go wrong in such a arangement. Nintendo is the one who has to come to THEM and ask for w/e character soo if they even agree to comply and want Sora in brawl than they will get w/e Nintendo put on the table.

Heck, for all we know Sora is in brawl right now at a higher price than Snake because of a arangement to make a Wii only KH spin-off somewhere down the line using Sora in brawl as advertizement (Nintendo puts Sora in brawl, KH gets to be apart of the biggest fighting party game for Nintendo and Nintendo gets a KH game which feeds off of the brawl hype on the hottest selling system this side of history resulting in ALL parties profitting from this one thing. . . everyone wins).

We just don't know who Nintendo has choosen or what went into such choices so I don't think we can go around saying "Nintendo would have to pay too much for Sora/ So-and-so aint important to Nintendo's history/ So-and-so doesn't have any "reason" to be choosen".

Voyager

Smash Journeyman
I think Sora would work very well in Smash Bros, however, I dont think Chain of Memories is enough to get him in.

He would have a bit more of a chance if one of the main games were on a nintendo platform, rather than just a side story on a handheld.

ElvishSpirit

Smash Apprentice
I think Sora would work very well in Smash Bros, however, I dont think Chain of Memories is enough to get him in.

He would have a bit more of a chance if one of the main games were on a nintendo platform, rather than just a side story on a handheld.
Im not gonna go into detail here, but COM is a keypoint in the series, and KH2 woulda had completely different plot w/out COM

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Than they should have made it a REAL Kingdom Hearts game
It is a real Kingdom Hearts game. That fact that it appeared on a handheld doesn't make it imaginary. :ohwell:

It's important enough to have been remade for the PS2, if that makes it more "real" to you. Granted, no, that's not a Nintendo console, so it doesn't help Sora's chances at all. But I think it should help validate the game as a pivotal chapter in the series.

Devotion

Smash Apprentice
Thats another thing I'm sick of as an argument against Sora "COM isn't a real KH game, so Sora has no chance whatsoever." This really has to be one of the worst reasons other than Sora is gay. COM helped me understand more of the KH2 story.

SoraMar

Smash Rookie
even though sora is in my username, and that he's really cool. i have to be the neutral party.
Pros for Sora:
1. Sakurai's list, really high
2. composer: yoko shimomura KH series
3. Tetsuya Nomura would like to see him in brawl
4. he'd be a fairly easy character to make a movelist/final smash for.
5. (ive done my research, trust me) more supporters than oppressors.
6. KH COM sold really good and KH is a great series.
Cons for Sora:
1. it would be hard to go through a money-hungry company like disney and get through another (not money-hungry) company too.
2. even if there is more supporters, there still are oppressors sakurai's trying to make everyone happy, whats to one character who doesnt have a great chance to get in to dozens more cool chars who are already in the game like mario/link?
3. yoko shimomura also did super mario RPG music. geno beat sora in the polls...
4. 3-4 3rd party character are going to be in the game, gong back to 3 geno and megaman did better than sora 1. Snake 2. Sonic 3. Geno 4. Megaman
5. How would you make a KH stage? i cant think of any place in KH small enough for a stage in brawl.
6. if he was in, (like Tails) people would ask for more like riku or mickey, then its #1 all over again.
If i made any of you mad im sorry, ive done research specifically for this subject. if u disagree, well, ok. tell me. if you have more pros/cons, then add em! ill check this thread alot to see really good points added, k?

RL89

Smash Cadet
Yeah I agree, one 3rd party character being in Brawl leads to people wanting more 3rd party characters from the same franchise. I personally feel that since SSB started out with Nintendo characters, it should end with Nintendo characters, and not another character from another company, by adding Geno, for example (him made from Nintendo and Square(now -Enix)). I think 3rd party characters are getting too much attention and it feels like Brawl will only be a good game because of that, but that's just me. I think Brawl will be awesome no matter what, with or without 3rd party characters.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
.. no, plz sora no!
believe me, i've played KH I and i've even liked more donald and goofy than sora ¬¬

also, if we are talking of putting a character only because his "look" would be popular in japan, then why adding in sephirot? (didn't he also apeared in COM?) that would bring to smash a really big fanbase who maybe never played final fantasy VII, but are great sephirot fans... (I'm not suporting sephirot!)

as you can see in my sig, if ther would be an square/enix character in brawl, i would love to see black mage, a true rep of the FF series, specially the Nes and SNES ones (and have already apeared in a game with mario) but I think that would be Geno, hell i don't really know why, but the people simply LOVE that character

could you say that sora is more popular than geno or more representative than black mage? i don't think so...

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I think Sora is much more of a *** than Peter Pan, so he could definite be included in Super Sassy Brothers Bottom.
Jealous he's getting more action than you? I don't blame you. Riku's a catch.

could you say that sora is more popular than geno. . .? i don't think so...
Actually, since a lot more people probably know of Sora's existence than Geno's, I'd be willing to bet he is more popular.

ComradeCanada

Smash Journeyman
Okay, my arguments for:
1) The Subspace Emissary Characters look like KH enemies. The story is similar.
2) Sora exist in similar physics to Smash Bros.
3) Mario Basketball had Squenix characters.
4) Chain of Memories.

Against:
1) Sora is a Sony mark of marketing.
2) Black Mage and Ninja were in Mario Strikers
3) Availability for future installments is significantly less than Snake and Sonic.
4) Geno.

Ralph_Marquee

Smash Journeyman
Sora is mad wack, I'm sorry. I don't want to see his generic character in Brawl. Nope, thanks for playing, have a lovely day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom