• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Up Air Spiked

Boxob

Smash Champion
Someone find out how I did this, this could make Sonic much, much better.

I was on Wifi fighting some Luigi, when he was off the edge I did a falling Uair on him. (I use this to set up for spring>uair kills) but instead of up, he was sent down, at almost a 45 degree angle to the left. We were no where near the edge, so it wasn't a stage spike. I'm pretty sure only the second hit of the Uair hit him. I don't think he attacked at the same time.

I want everyone to try to replicate this, I will also try as soon as I can. (not going to be by my wii today D:) But later on today I will go back to trying to do this again. I would have saved the replay, but the match was more than three minutes in when it happened.

Please tell me if you get this to work.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
That's strange, moreso that I've never experience this.

However, his Uair does knock the opponent to the side on the first hit, so maybe you just hit him with the first, and whiffed the second since you did the u-air falling.

Then again, like I said, I've never experience this before, so I really have no clue about it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Someone find out how I did this, this could make Sonic much, much better.

I was on Wifi fighting some Luigi, when he was off the edge I did a falling Uair on him. (I use this to set up for spring>uair kills) but instead of up, he was sent down, at almost a 45 degree angle to the left. We were no where near the edge, so it wasn't a stage spike. I'm pretty sure only the second hit of the Uair hit him. I don't think he attacked at the same time.

I want everyone to try to replicate this, I will also try as soon as I can. (not going to be by my wii today D:) But later on today I will go back to trying to do this again. I would have saved the replay, but the match was more than three minutes in when it happened.

Please tell me if you get this to work.
weird, the first hit usually hits sideways/down

Trying to recreate/figure out placement:
- Were you on the left or right side of FD?
- Were you on the left or right side of Luigi?
- Did you start u-air while you were above or under Luigi?
- Was he falling too, or was he going up?
- Aroudn what % was he?

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
Hmm, I thought I managed to spike someone with uair before, but I just passed it as me reading the situation wrong. Nonetheless, this has me intrigued. I'll help try and validate this =D

Boxob

Smash Champion
- 45 degrees... upwards? If it's downwards, you might have something thar o_o

- Were you on the left or right side of FD?
- Were you on the left or right side of Luigi?
Left

Right

Up.

The knockback was downwards, to the left.

Boxob

Smash Champion
That's strange, moreso that I've never experience this.

However, his Uair does knock the opponent to the side on the first hit, so maybe you just hit him with the first, and whiffed the second since you did the u-air falling.

Then again, like I said, I've never experience this before, so I really have no clue about it.
I'm almost a million percent sure I only hit with the second hit box. >_>

Tenki

Smash Hero
it was in the edit that took like 20 minutes to happen D:

Boxob

Smash Champion
weird, the first hit usually hits sideways/down

- Did you start u-air while you were above or under Luigi?
- Aroudn what % was he?
Above

Up

80~

NNID
MasterHavik
A character with 3 spikes??? Weird... is that even possbile? I mean first you have the up smash, next the semi dair, and now you have an up air spike. Man, the Sonic user scan do everything with Sonic. What next? A Sonic's combo that can go to 96%? And be ended with a spike, who knows? Great find Boxob.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
A character with 3 spikes??? Weird... is that even possbile? I mean first you have the up smash, next the semi dair, and now you have an up air spike. Man, the Sonic user scan do everything with Sonic. What next? A Sonic's combo that can go to 96%? And be ended with a spike, who knows? Great find Boxob.
Actually he has 5 and two on his lower back.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I've had no luck at doing this. I was thinking it may have something to do with Sonic's body on the second hit, since he still hits them with the attack there. No luck though. Maybe it has something to do with the way the Luigi player DI'd?

Boxob

Smash Champion
Anyone have any luck?

I'm starting to believe it was some stupid crap like Toon Link's Dsmash insta-kill thing, with incredibly specific DI/conditions :/

NNID
MasterHavik
No, not that,I mean his metor smashs(i.e. spikes). it crazy t osee all of these new things being found. make way Sonic going for top mid or mid-mid.

IvoYaridovich

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4355-9654-5728
If I'm not busy tomorrow after work, I could probably help you test it for a bit and try to record it. I don't usually get home til 9:30-9:45pm EST though. Perhaps its like b-air and f-air where if it connects on a certain spot it sends them the opposite direction? That'd be kind of odd though <.<

Anywho if you want to try to do it IM me when you see me get on if your still on.

Browny

Smash Hater
toon links dsmash insta kill is hilarious, ive only ever done it once though, but it is easily explainable.

the sole purpose of the first strike is to knock the enemy into the second strike as fast as possible, so obviously if the second strike misses the enemy will fly out at some crazy laucnh speed. the same is observable with sonics ftilt. if the first hit doesnt combo into the second sometimes it has huge knockback sending enemies straight into the ground and beneath the stage. to a lesser extent, lucas' zap jump works the same.

but i dont think sonics u-air combos into itself. plenty of times ive had only the first or second strike hit, the second one has the usual high knockback but the first one is non-existant so unless the enemy did some unusual DI i cant see any reason as to why this would happen :/

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Where was the placement of him in relation to you when it actually hit?

Inside, had you fallen through him and hit with the connecting feet, was he below you(I don't even think the hit box extends like that but it's an example of what I'm trying to ask) etc...

Tenki

Smash Hero
Uair combos weakly into itself. It definitely has an inward and upward send.
If you do u-air while you're to your opponent's side (think... almost adjacent?) at a semi-high %, the first hit sends them flying sideways.

But all the times that I've done it, it sends them upwards, not downwards.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Well there's definitely a way to do this. I too think it's too impractical though at this point, I was playing all day with my friends as Sonic, no luck. The closet I got way completely horizontal with only the first hit box connecting, and that sent them towards the stage >_>

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
Explanation

Alot of moves in the game have weird hitboxes.
If you look up some video some characters spike moves have been shown to actually send the enemys at a vertical angle causing them not to be spiked.
In this case Sonic hit him at a weird angle causing Luigi to get spiked.
I have never seen this done before but from what I have read alot of characters have an effect like this.

Top Bottom