• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm surprisingly pretty comfortable with it. Some **** pisses me off, but whatever. Like, I can't spinshot 100% of the time without a c-stick and I also find things like falling uairs to be more difficult without it. Also definitely feel not as comfortable doing fast smash attacks.

#WhensNew3DS

#WhensWiiU

:093:

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
orright, we gotta talk about this voice.

sonic's voice.

what happened to his voice.

geez not nerfed as bad as Fox (srsly who is that nerd and what did they do to fox.... oh it's embarassing...), but sonic sounds really stupid nao too, just sayin'.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I will most definitely look into that, thanks. Found a set up I'm happy with, but good to know for later

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Fox. Is. GARBAGE.

Like... What HAPPENED?

Sonic is honestly not that bad. I like Roger Craig Smith. ESPECIALLY in comparison. I just miss "Go!" and more importantly "You're too slow!"

I think the voice would've been fine if they didn't just... Recycle clips...

@ Phoenix_Dark Phoenix_Dark The only control differences I really made were swapping L and R and turning off tap jump, lol

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
eez not nerfed as bad as Fox (srsly who is that nerd and what did they do to fox.... oh it's embarassing...), but sonic sounds really stupid nao too, just sayin'.
I've read somewhere that that's his original VA from SF64. He sure sounds weird, though.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Fox sounds awful lol. Sonic sounds odd as hell on his usmash. Everything else sounds good to me. As for control scheme, I can't remember what the face buttons are even labeled as lol. I kno the top is my jump. Right is standard attacks and bottom is specials. Left is grab. I use r to shield and never touch L..

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Fox's voice is just his old VA from 64, but it's been what, 15 years? Voices change.
I don't mind Sonic's. I just miss side taunt.

And yeah, the control scheme is just horrid on the 3DS. My finger joints are sore as hell now from playing. Spinshotting with sideB isn't hard though.

Plus, spin > footstool > spring > jab lock still works. :>:applejack:

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yes, it does! I experimented with that just last night on ROB.

how about nair jab lock though hehe

The whole Fox situation reminds me of Japanese Goku. They kept the same voice as kid Goku and it's just like uuuuh what

Last edited:

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Controller scheme is so AAAAAAAAAAAAA
I really, wholly hate it.
Stupid adult hands.

I just made a haiku inadvertantly, yay. I cant play sonic on this 3ds, im trying but idk, wii u version is sonic fo sho. Sonic's grab game seems to be so much worse, but i haven't played bawl for a while so not sure.

:094:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Yeah, I can't play for too long or else my hands start to hurt from it lol. I don't even have large hands either. FSJ out of spins is super easy on this game. Quite amusing.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I messed around with nair jablock. It probably works on fatter characters. I just tried on Marth and it always just barely whiffed. :applejack:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Sonic's grab game seems to be so much worse, but i haven't played bawl for a while so not sure.

:094:
I could make the argument that it's better now; given that Sonic actually has kill-throws.

Sure, U-Throw not doing 12% damage anymore sucks; but, everything else seems to have improved.

Nobody has bothered to tech D-Throw yet (if it's even possible in this game. In which case, <3); so, for the moment, it's a decent tech-chase, F-Throw and B-Throw send people at rather ideal angles to try for some funky stuff off-stage... Sometimes, it just outright kills them if you're close enough to the proper boundary. People mashing out of grabs on the 3DS is unheard of because of the unwieldy control scheme, so that gives plenty of time to throw some pummels in there... of which Sonic still seems to have a rather good one at that.

It actually feels more rewarding to land a grab in this game now. And it also feels significantly worse when you ARE grabbed. I like it for the better!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sonic also seems to have the Magic Hands from SA2 in this game, because his grab range is deceptively great. Kinda like Marth in the past.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Sonic is so terrible in this version of Smash. Just ugh. Makes me wish I played a better character. //sarcasm

Meanwhile I just got second place in two pretty decent sized NorCal tournaments. 40+ players who are all pretty good. Both times lost to Diddy Kong (Nanerz yet again). The match up is real. Oh and first in a wifi tourney but no one really counts those.

Edit: Sonic dittos are entertaining. Unlike in Brawl. Played TwitcH in tourney. Showed him how godly Up Smash is.

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I went to a local today at Xanadu. Beat Boss, Tkbreezy, and some others. Got 2nd out of 32 going all :sonic:. I lost in GF 2nd set game 3 via timeout versus Forte's :rosalina:. :rosalina: is such a pain to approach reliably because even if you grab her, luma can attack you.

Bracket: http://vgbootcamp.challonge.com/SatX10072014ss4

:018:

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Congrats, and I definitely had a feeling Rosalina & Luma would be a bad time. Didn't like it when I played it.

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
None of seagull's matches were recorded unfortunately, I think I heard something about using online mode to stream the tournament was too laggy for them.

Joe, the only advice I can give about fighting Rosalina and Luma is to use fullhop ASCs. ASC doesn't have nearly as many applications as it did in brawl, but you can use it to get over luma if rosalina is using him to pressure you and staying back behind luma. If you can hit her with ASC out of whatever command she's giving luma, the ASC will juggle her and you can double jump out before you hit the ground to continue the juggle with a uair. When you juggle her with ASC>Uair, Luma can't hit you out of that. Other than that you have to get her in the air somehow and camp her landing with side B and either shield cancel to punish and shieldgrab aerials or just say **** the shieldgrabbing and use the side B invincibility to punish both falling aerials and spotdodges.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm drunk ,but wedge, why are you helping that ****ter? :applejack:

Last edited:

TehSharpie

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0817-4971-4822
Hello, glad to see most of you guys still active on here.

Overall I haven't really found any horrible match ups yet for Sonic. Like in Brawl, Sonic will probably have bad match ups but never any unwinnable ones.

In addition to RosaLuma, another possible trouble match up might be Yoshi?(or maybe I'm just pretty bad at fighting him)

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I'm drunk ,but wedge, why are you helping that ****ter? :applejack:
Cus I'm his uncle ;). Plus you love me, so shush.

None of seagull's matches were recorded unfortunately, I think I heard something about using online mode to stream the tournament was too laggy for them.
Joe, the only advice I can give about fighting Rosalina and Luma is to use fullhop ASCs. ASC doesn't have nearly as many applications as it did in brawl, but you can use it to get over luma if rosalina is using him to pressure you and staying back behind luma. If you can hit her with ASC out of whatever command she's giving luma, the ASC will juggle her and you can double jump out before you hit the ground to continue the juggle with a uair. When you juggle her with ASC>Uair, Luma can't hit you out of that. Other than that you have to get her in the air somehow and camp her landing with side B and either shield cancel to punish and shieldgrab aerials or just say **** the shieldgrabbing and use the side B invincibility to punish both falling aerials and spotdodges.
Getting over Luma is not the issue. The issue is killing her. Full Hop ASC can only benefit me if I do an attack to her and she'll just shield whatever I do if I'm approaching like that. The best openings I've found include Bthrow (This throw puts you away from luma's jab range), Sh Fair, homing attack, and then of course down b/side b through and retreat. It's just hard to get the kill move and/or gimp her. That's the main issue. I think once I master this whole fox trot fsmash ****, I'll be good to go on killing. I imagine :sonic: highly benefits from being able to run and Fsmash or smash her from behind. That makes mix ups huge since I can mix up with Bthrow or Fsmash. 50-50 options.
Seagull, were any of these recorded?
Unfortunately no. There was lag at Xanadu near the stream setup. To inhibit the lag, I had to play either the DS's directly touching each other's heads, near the entrance, or outside. Xanadu's venue is weird with regard to connection lol.
Hello, glad to see most of you guys still active on here.
Overall I haven't really found any horrible match ups yet for Sonic. Like in Brawl, Sonic will probably have bad match ups but never any unwinnable ones.
In addition to RosaLuma, another possible trouble match up might be Yoshi?(or maybe I'm just pretty bad at fighting him)
:yoshi2: is terrifying. I'm not going to lie. His usmash kills insanely earlier and his bair has spike properties. Most :yoshi2:'s make their approach obvious tho. Any :yoshi2: that runs at you will probably DA because that's the most predictable option. Shield grab this. You can spring gimp him if you position right. Just play the bait game. He can't force you to approach and you can spin right at him if he does any move besides like Bair.

Last edited:

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
Getting over Luma is not the issue. The issue is killing her. Full Hop ASC can only benefit me if I do an attack to her and she'll just shield whatever I do if I'm approaching like that. The best openings I've found include Bthrow (This throw puts you away from luma's jab range), Sh Fair, homing attack, and then of course down b/side b through and retreat. It's just hard to get the kill move and/or gimp her. That's the main issue. I think once I master this whole fox trot fsmash ****, I'll be good to go on killing. I imagine :sonic: highly benefits from being able to run and Fsmash or smash her from behind. That makes mix ups huge since I can mix up with Bthrow or Fsmash. 50-50 options.
Yeah i've been using homing attack, i just don't like using it very much because it can wind up homing in on luma rather than rosalina or it'll just throw you off the stage sometimes which I'd rather not deal with. Sh fairs and side bs are probably the best options. Maneuvering around luma will probably be easier to do once you're able to use a GC controller anyhow. Have you tried baiting a ranged attack by holding side B and spinshotting over to her? Don't know how well that'd work, since I haven't played many decent Rosalinas, i'm just guessing what might work.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
vs Rosalina I just try to space bair and hit luma as luma can't shield then force rosalina to commit to an attack to save luma and punish her for it

TehSharpie

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0817-4971-4822
:yoshi2: is terrifying. I'm not going to lie. His usmash kills insanely earlier and his bair has spike properties. Most :yoshi2:'s make their approach obvious tho. Any :yoshi2: that runs at you will probably DA because that's the most predictable option. Shield grab this. You can spring gimp him if you position right. Just play the bait game. He can't force you to approach and you can spin right at him if he does any move besides like Bair.
Actually, I've seen some :yoshi2:'s make their approach with a SH Nair which if timed well makes it really hard to shield grab due to immediately following up with jab/dodge/etc. I've tried on several occasions and got punished though I'm sure it becomes a matter of timing for both parties at that point.

Also just fought a pretty decent RosaLuma. Simply jumping over Luma if she throws him at you helps a lot. You can also SH Bair her from the ground since she's tall enough to get hit by it.

MarLonLonMilk

Smash Rookie
I was messing around with this character and realised that there's some potential when you cancel his up air with a til. so I recorded it.

I'll admit that I'm too lazy to cruise through the thread and see if this has already been discovered by somebody else.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Why is Sonic trophy description so bad? I mean " Unlike Hedgehogs, He is extremely fast" yeah that's true "however, like Hedgehogs, he can't swim' *closes 3ds and throws it at a wall*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom