• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
On a side note. Is anybody here interested in Sonic Boom?
The subseries as a whole, the games, the tv show, or the possibility of Sonic Boom Sonic DLC alt costume?
I am greatly looking forward to both the Wii U and 3DS games and the tv show looks surprisingly good imo. However, I don´t see Sonic´s chance of getting a Boom DLC costume too likely and I´m pretty indifferent as to whether he gets one or not.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sonic Boom.

At first I was open the idea of a new alternative canon, with a world of new possibilities.

But after info started rolling in, I started disliking the idea in general.
Doesn't help that the designs are flat out TERRIBLE. Everything I hated about the modern Sonic design was exagerated in Boom.
But that's just the tip of the iceberg for me. I find Lyric completely generic, the cartoon not having "episodic" episodes, 15 minutes long, and not taking themselves seriously at all, already killed it for me. (There's not taking a plot seriously, and there's Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog-like not taking it seriously, Boom TV is the latter).
The 3DS game looks like just another slow metroidvania (with little speed sections here and there). And Wii U looks like a subpar Jak & Daxter with Sonic characters in it, + Sonic Dash segments.

Now with Shadow (no sports take whatsoever... did they suddenly change their minds about it?) and Metal Sonic (apparently fulfilling the exact same role as Eggman?) in the game, I can confirm they are trying way too hard to get people to like the game.

I am a HUGE Metal Sonic fan, and his inclusion didn't persuade me a bit. But I'm glad he's popular enough to be considered for present Sonic projects.

I don't blame them for trying too hard, and I'm probably being way too hard on the whole thing, but if I am, there is only one conclusion.

I'm definitely not the target audience for this Sonic product. :(
Maybe I'm too old, or maybe I just MISS my speedy, boost-less, 2D, momentum-based platformers way too much.
But this project has gone in the exact opposite direction of what made me love Sonic in 1991, and recaptured my love in 2000 with Sonic Advance.

But best of luck to those who are interested in it, hope it fulfills your expectations!

(p.s. there aren't that many great shows on TV lately, so I might give the TV show a chance).

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I personally prefer the different shades of Sonic as opposed to getting eyesore colors. I would've liked maybe some more flair behind some of them, but overall I'm not too miffed.

More miffed that Pac-Man's palette is SO BAD and we didn't get Ms. Pac-Man.

As for Sonic Boom, I'm actually pretty excited about the show.
The games... I'll play them and see.

:093:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm sick in the head for enjoying the Blue Blur being blue.

Someone help me.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Alright, if I can get the Wii U at some point, I can finally get the party started with Sonic (I was never planning on getting the 3DS version).

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
well he probably composed some new sonic music for the Wii U version which i'm assuming no matter the version the credits remain the same as well as them probably using live and learn for green hill zones 2nd song

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Speaking of which, you guys hear his remix of It Doesn't Matter on the new Sonic Adventure soundtrack? It's pretty godlike. :applejack:

WaveDashCash

Smash Apprentice
I sure am glad that Sonic Boom is a totally separate canon from the main series games...What with Sonic slowly climbing his way out of the Sonic '06 hole SEGA had thrown him into with a string of increasingly decent games, this new franchise could be either a good boost or a horrific detriment to the series. Appreciate the effort but I'm cautious of this.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
There is a reason Sonic's colors are all mostly shades of blue. It's because of legal issues, so don't blame Sakurai.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I can't believe they actually had more development time to work on Sonic instead of rushing him in like in Brawl and they still gave him absolutely no remixes.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
There is a reason Sonic's colors are all mostly shades of blue. It's because of legal issues, so don't blame Sakurai.
I mean... you can still blame Sakurai...
It's not like that's a valid excuse anymore.:applejack:

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
To be fair... legal issues?

There's
Red Robo Sonic (Sonic simulator)
Red Sonic (when he's in RUSH mode in Sonic Rush, whole boost gauge full)
Green Robo Sonic (not sure where, but I know I've seen him)

Black Sonic (Sonic the Fighters. - Fair enough, almost looks like the Dark Sonic pallette)
Metallic Sonic (Sonic Heroes)
Darkspine Sonic (Purple+gold Sonic, from Secret Rings)

They could have if they have tried.
Or at LEAST make him all glowy. Like... When he glows red in Sonic Rush for example.

Heck, there's also the Underwater pallettes. But at least I think Purple Sonic kinda covers that. (Chemical Plant underwater Sonic).

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure that's just because of Live and Learn and possibly other existing Sonic tracks. He wasn't in the list of composers back when Sakurai did the music update, so I don't think he actually remixed anything. Though keep in mind it was probably just a list for the 3DS version and the Wii U version will probably have a bunch of other composers as well.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'd rather play 80 Shades of Blue Blur than Red Sonic. Or most any other color.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
He could've at least been given the Pikachu treatment and been given accessories. I guess the wristbands are some sort of move in that direction, but the differences just aren't noticeable like Pikachu with goggles and such.

Misinko

Smash Cadet
On a side note. Is anybody here interested in Sonic Boom?
No. I want that thing to disappear off the face of the Earth. I don't even want it to fail, I want it to vanish in the blink of an eye.

Getting back on topic, I do like the alternate Blue color, if just for his gloves. They seemed to have a crystal-ring vibe going on with them, and I like they way they look.

Last edited:

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
How could it possibly be because of legal issues? Care to explain?
Not my own information but it is exactly what most likely happened.

Companies are pretty serious about branding. Ask any team that has to put a sponsor's logo on a shirt, vehicle, etc; The sponsoring company will most likely have strict rules about color choice, minimum sizes, etc etc. It's no different than with characters, they're pretty much singing dancing logos.

Can't say for certain in this case with Sega but I'd put money on Sega having guided Nintendo through an arduous process regarding directing Sonic's dialogue, SFX, animations, etc.

Last edited:

RadRed

Smash Rookie
NNID
MostEffectual
I don't want to play as Scourge or Cold Steel the Hedgehog. I want to play as Sonic. I don't mind all of his color variations being different shades of blue fur with different accessories.

I do think an alternate where he wears the glasses and shoes from the Sonic Riders series might have been cool tho'.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
So, as expected, Sonic's custom moves are quite literally spindash with sparkles and spindash with confetti (well, replaces sparkles with fire and confetti with some wind move).

Got to be honest, I'm very disappointed with Sonic's custom moves. The customisation aspect of Smash 4 is probably the thing I'm most excited about and Sonic's custom moves feel really uninspired :/

Goodness me - that Double Spring Custom move looks ****ing terrible.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I was never excited for custom moves for that exact reason. I honestly don't know what people really expected to come from it.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I would be super pumped if one of the down specials let me shield cancel out of asc. That's all I really wanted.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
I was never excited for custom moves for that exact reason. I honestly don't know what people really expected to come from it.

Exactly how I feel. Once I found out most of the custom moves use the same animation and are just slight variations, I really didn't expect much from them. Maybe in the next game every character will have completely different custom moves like Palutena has :smirk:

Cyberman6

Smash Apprentice
Recorded some online matches with Sonic against a good Yoshi I met on random. Mained him in Brawl/PM and trying to get a feel for him in this game

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The fact that SDJ can be short hopped is unbelievable. It makes Sonic SO MUCH HARDER TO HIT. :applejack:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I've been waiting for this. Confirms everything being said about Sonic being amazing. I'm really amazed by the SDJ

infomon

Smash Scientist
- Shorthopped SDJs
- You can repeatedly bounce/SDJ during the charge, and in the SDJ I believe you have better aerial control than normal jumps
- Whenever you want you can release the charge/SDJ into the down-B (and/or side-B?), attack the opponent whenever and however is convenient
- You can also exit the SDJ via jump, and do... anything you want out of that

SDJ is the new ASC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom