• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic the Hedgehog; a 2nd series rep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Exactly. If Sega becomes a second party developper, similar to GameFreaks for exemple, then it could happen easily.
And I finnally see want I wanted to see "I know it's unlikely, but I'm not giving up hope just yet". This sound way more rational :)
But there's nothing out there that sparks the possibility of Nintendo buying out SEGA

Welshy91

Smash Ace
It's doubtful he was cut, but still, does that mean that if Snake returns, another Metal Gear character would be entirely deserving? That's what you're saying with Sonic, at least.
Raiden for Smash.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
But there's nothing out there that sparks the possibility of Nintendo buying out SEGA
Well, supposedly (and don't quote me on this), Sega and Nintendo's deal has been "extended", by no longer considering the latest Mario and Sonic game part of their three game deal. While, if true, it's not proof positive of a possible long-term business relationship between the two, it certainly is a step in that direction. Though Sega will never stop making games for every system, Sonic Team might become Nintendo's "step-child", making Sonic himself (as well as NiGHTS, Amigo, etc.), but not Sega, exclusive to the Big N. I'm not going to lie and say I wouldn't be ecstatic to hear of Miyamoto making a new NiGHTS (which he's expressed interest in doing).

Oh, and on-topic, I think Sonic is enough. If Sega were to get another character (which I find unlikely and unnecessary), I'd rather they be from a different franchise.

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Sonic shouldn't even be in Smash, much less one of his fuzzy pals. Sega should make a Smash Bros. on its own console for the whole crew. Owait.

Seriously though, why can't Sonic fans be content with what they were lucky to get in the first place?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Well, supposedly (and don't quote me on this), Sega and Nintendo's deal has been "extended", by no longer considering the latest Mario and Sonic game part of their three game deal. While, if true, it's not proof positive of a possible long-term business relationship between the two, it certainly is a step in that direction. Though Sega will never stop making games for every system, Sonic Team might become Nintendo's "step-child", making Sonic himself (as well as NiGHTS, Amigo, etc.), but not Sega, exclusive to the Big N. I'm not going to lie and say I wouldn't be ecstatic to hear of Miyamoto making a new NiGHTS (which he's expressed interest in doing).

Oh, and on-topic, I think Sonic is enough. If Sega were to get another character (which I find unlikely and unnecessary), I'd rather they be from a different franchise.
I don't see how they would just purchase Sonic Team and not SEGA itself. Until I see more evidence of Nintendo buying out SEGA, I don't believe it.

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
seriously as for the topic of this thread I think if the sonic series does get another rep it should be tails. Tails was Sonic's first partner and makes the most sense and would have a few moves that make him just abit different than Sonic himself. I don't like Shadow as he's just a black sonic that uses real world guns and could easily just wind up as another slower clone...

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
seriously as for the topic of this thread I think if the sonic series does get another rep it should be tails. Tails was Sonic's first partner and makes the most sense and would have a few moves that make him just abit different than Sonic himself. I don't like Shadow as he's just a black sonic that uses real world guns and could easily just wind up as another slower clone...
Shadow doesn't have to use guns, I've seen a fan video on YouTube about how Shadow can use the Chaos Control as a unique moveset style.

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
Shadow doesn't have to use guns, I've seen a fan video on YouTube about how Shadow can use the Chaos Control as a unique moveset style.
This would just wind up as another clone(in this case of Sonic) which most of us are tried of in Smash. (Sure there are bound to be a few but I'd rather they be unique as possible.) Tails can fly which has possibilities for a kirby like recovery and a drop out of it quickly and fight like a crazy air fighter. He can also swing his two tails around and smash/hit the other characters with it which I think would be unique in a combo chain and add to the usual sonic moves. For a final Smash you could have him fly in on his aircraft and shoot all the other players. Shadow basically has a possible movset that adds nothing to all those homing attacks and running with chaos control being a black mirror image of Super Sonic.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
This would just wind up as another clone(in this case of Sonic) which most of us are tried of in Smash. (Sure there are bound to be a few but I'd rather they be unique as possible.) Tails can fly which has possibilities for a kirby like recovery and a drop out of it quickly and fight like a crazy air fighter. He can also swing his two tails around and smash/hit the other characters with it which I think would be unique in a combo chain and add to the usual sonic moves. For a final Smash you could have him fly in on his aircraft and shoot all the other players. Shadow basically has a possible movset that adds nothing to all those homing attacks and running with chaos control being a black mirror image of Super Sonic.
Here's the video.
http://youtu.be/tnfyqc8Jpk0

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
What's the general consensus on Robotnik/Eggman as compared to Tails or Shadow?

I still think he should be the second rep due to longevity and potential, but Shadow seems to be favored.

Welshy91

Smash Ace

I still think he should be the second rep due to longevity and potential, but Shadow seems to be favored.
I hate the idea of any Sonic character being in, but I would be less buttflustered if it were Eggman.

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
I've been over my thing with Shadow: He's just a boring black colored Sonic and his moveset in the games basically belongs to Sonic except for the guns. This is why I don't wana see him in smash

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'll be honest. I personally am not too big on the idea of a 2nd Sonic character. It's not because of some rule of each third party company having one character. Which as far as I know, isn't actually a rule. It's just that I don't care for the series much anymore. So seeing another rep from Sonic wouldn't excite me much, at least not directly. Though I don't think it would be the worst thing ever. If we did have any characters to chose from, I would say that Tails, Eggman, and to a lesser extent Knuckles would be the ideal choices. I would personally want to see another Capcom/Konami character to go along with Snake or Megaman.

Eggman would make for an interesting boss though, he'd possibly be the most unique of these choices too.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I've been over my thing with Shadow: He's just a boring black colored Sonic and his moveset in the games basically belongs to Sonic except for the guns. This is why I don't wana see him in smash
I'm pretty sure you ignored the video, it explains how Shadow would not be a clone of Sonic

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

He's more popular with fans of the Dreamcast era. And he's seen as the "cool" character to many. Usually, the dark and edgy types tend to be the most popular of the bunch. I can't explain why, but antithesis characters might be more relate-able to the general audience. Or they are just more likable to the classic bad guys like Eggman, Wily, or Bowser. But it's not to say that Shadow wouldn't offer anything unique, he could given he has extra tricks up his sleeves. But I wouldn't put him on Eggman's level of potential.

I'd say that Shadow is pretty much the "2000's cool" whereas Sonic is the "90's cool", if that makes any sense.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I don't see how they would just purchase Sonic Team and not SEGA itself. Until I see more evidence of Nintendo buying out SEGA, I don't believe it.
Exactly. Sega would have to be insane to sell of their biggest moneymaker.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
This thread is very biased.

The SEGA franchise would be extremely lucky to get a second rep. The reason Sonic was in Smash was due to popularity. I don't know how popular a second character from Sonic would rank on a poll, but I bet lower than most Nintendo characters. If Sonic were to get a second rep, Tails/Eggman are the two best options because they have been there the longest.

I'd love for Tails to make it into the game. But, I will be shock if I ever saw it. It just seems like a second character is very unlikely.

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
This thread is very biased.

The SEGA franchise would be extremely lucky to get a second rep. The reason Sonic was in Smash was due to popularity. I don't know how popular a second character from Sonic would rank on a poll, but I bet lower than most Nintendo characters. If Sonic were to get a second rep, Tails/Eggman are the two best options because they have been there the longest.

I'd love for Tails to make it into the game. But, I will be shock if I ever saw it. It just seems like a second character is very unlikely.
Yes and I love playing what ifs. I think tails might have a few sonic moves but he'd be more unique than shadow. I've never played Sonic Adventure 2(which is the game Shadow premiered in) but I did see the trailers and he just seems to play like a black colored Sonic.

I can't view videos at work and was pretty tired last night when I got home so no dice...

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yes and I love playing what ifs. I think tails might have a few sonic moves but he'd be more unique than shadow. I've never played Sonic Adventure 2(which is the game Shadow premiered in) but I did see the trailers and he just seems to play like a black colored Sonic.

I can't view videos at work and was pretty tired last night when I got home so no dice...
Shadow could be unique. I actually like Shadow, but I feel like SEGA tried to force everyone to like him. I'd rather just have the two-tailed fox over him.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I've never played Sonic Adventure 2
I'd strongly recommend you play Sonic Adventure 2! You'll like it!
Shadow could be unique. I actually like Shadow, but I feel like SEGA tried to force everyone to like him. I'd rather just have the two-tailed fox over him.
Look, man! Shadow was highly popular as an anti-hero, fans wanted to know his backstory a little more, that's the reason why they had Shadow the Hedgehog 2005

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Look, man! Shadow was highly popular as an anti-hero, fans wanted to know his backstory a little more, that's the reason why they had Shadow the Hedgehog 2005
But we had his backstory already!

And then the game was just poorly designed.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
He was highly popular to the people who played SA2. But, we knew most of his backstory. Most people wanted to know what happened to him. And, Shadow the Hedgehog '05 wasn't a very good Sonic the Hedgehog game. I know it was about Shadow, and they were trying to show how different he was from Sonic, but it was as if they were trying to put Shadow in a totally different universe than the rest of the cast.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
You are obviously new here.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
So, I saw this over at the SSB4 Rumors and Leaks thread. I figured that since it has to do with a second Sonic series rep, we might as well discuss it. However, it seems as if it may be quickly debunked. The image is a clear match to the other. At least, to me it is. I just thought it was interesting.

While browsing the official website for SSB4 I stumbled across this page while typing in random numbers and letters instead of a character name. Upon clicking the face of the hedgehog (Shadow) I was Simply taken to a 404 not found.
I instantly took a screenshot of said page. It seems to be on Sonic's character page and everything above is normal.
The next day when I came home and tried to find said page again it was gone. I decided to create an account and post this after a lot of trying to get back onto the page.
View attachment 10138 Originally I posted this to the wrong place. Oops. If anything else is done wrong; My apologise are given.
http://smashboards.com/threads/shadow-in-ssb-for-nintendo-wii-u-3ds.349997/
Before this even gets posted here I want to mention that the Shadow there is an existing image, not like anyone believed it for a second.
http://i.imgur.com/UUrQgYr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So, I saw this over at the SSB4 Rumors and Leaks thread. I figured that since it has to do with a second Sonic series rep, we might as well discuss it. However, it seems as if it may be quickly debunked. The image is a clear match to the other. At least, to me it is. I just thought it was interesting.

This leak seems to be more credible than a previous leak I've seen about Shadow before, but I think it's a fake. Whoever did this really knew what they were doing.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master

Not a bad one, but the pixels are a bit too edgy around Shadow's face.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
It's been more than two days, and we haven't seen anything disproving the leak about Shadow. It was kind of a weird time for a leak like that, but we're most likely to see a second Sonic representative at E3 this year, it's also worth noting that this is the year of Sonic. Never Say Never!

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
The picture I posted with the "leak" was meant to disprove it quickly. It's an image from somewhere else that matches the pic in the "leak." It was a fake.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
The picture I posted with the "leak" was meant to disprove it quickly. It's an image from somewhere else that matches the pic in the "leak." It was a fake.
Comparing the two, I saw some dissimilarity. Shadow still has every right to be playable even if it was fake.

Last edited:

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
It's been more than two days, and we haven't seen anything disproving the leak about Shadow. It was kind of a weird time for a leak like that, but we're most likely to see a second Sonic representative at E3 this year, it's also worth noting that this is the year of Sonic. Never Say Never!
We're not likely to see a second Sonic representative at e3. A second Sonic rep full stop isn't at all likely, it would be an immense shock. Also 'The Year of Sonic' is hardly worth noting, it's a unoriginal and half-hearted marketing ploy from SEGA. I doubt Sakurai is even aware that it's the year of Sonic, let alone willing to pay any heed to it.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
We're not likely to see a second Sonic representative at e3. A second Sonic rep full stop isn't at all likely, it would be an immense shock. Also 'The Year of Sonic' is hardly worth noting, it's a unoriginal and half-hearted marketing ploy from SEGA. I doubt Sakurai is even aware that it's the year of Sonic, let alone willing to pay any heed to it.
Like I said, never say never!

D

Deleted member

...Yes, we have.

The picture is fake, Sonic is unlikely (though not impossible, I will admit) to have another character, and we would get Tails before we got Shadow (and I say this as a Shadow fan).

Just give it up.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Is this done yet?
Do I have to sing another rendition of Let it go?

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I actually wouldn't mind having Tails as a playable character... if only to bring those old Melee-era rumors of a playable Sonic and Tails full circle. :p

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
When a third-party franchise begins to gain more recognition than some of Nintendo's own history, you know that the original vision of Smash has been disregarded. While I do agree that Sega has been working closer to Nintendo than they were just a few years ago, that doesn't make them any more Nintendo. I think that Nintendo and Sega's new found closeness speaks volumes about Sonic being in future Smash games, but it says nothing about a second rep. Sonic as an individual character is the mascot of Nintendo's worst-rival-turned-closest-ally, but once you begin to add more Sonic characters, you begin treating a guest franchise like an actual Nintendo series, while neglecting actual Nintendo series.

This may sound like a paranoid ramble, but Sakurai has displayed a pretty particular attitude toward third-parties. He even went out of his way to make Mega Man reflect his NES incarnate as much as possible in order to compliment his purist form of thinking towards Super Smash Bros.

"I'm not going to have just any character participate from other companies." -Masahiro Sakurai, Super Smash Bros for Wii U & 3DS Developer Direct, 2013

Like I said, I'm not going to neglect Nintendo and Sega's partnership over the course of the past few years, but that just means that Sega can expect an open door to one guest character, not one more guest character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom