• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic the Hedgehog; a 2nd series rep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
THAT'S NOT A THIRD PARTY FRANCHISE!!!!! The main reason for them to put Tails, Shadow, Amy, or even Knuckles into the game is that Sonic is Nintendo's favorite third party character of late.
But again, why making a third party more important than a Nintendo franchise in a Nintendo all stars games?

The point of Smash Bros is to make Nintendo characters fight.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
But again, why making a third party more important than a Nintendo franchise in a Nintendo all stars games?

The point of Smash Bros is to make Nintendo characters fight.
That's why I say this, only one extra sonic representative is possible. Surely Nintendo finds more than people think they do in Sonic, otherwise he wouldn't be in all these crossovers with Mario.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The answer, Sonic is the third party character with the most experience in Smash, Metal Gear and MegaMan have less experience in smash.
...What? You do know that Snake debuted in Brawl, right? Before Sonic did.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
True, but we do not know if he's back yet. He may have been cut.
It's doubtful he was cut, but still, does that mean that if Snake returns, another Metal Gear character would be entirely deserving? That's what you're saying with Sonic, at least.

Smady

Smash Master
Eventually I see Tails and Robotnik completing a set of three Sonic characters, that's all the series basically needs in my opinion. But how long it takes to get there is anybody's guess. I'd imagine we get one either this game or next, then the other at the same time or the next game.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
It's doubtful he was cut, but still, does that mean that if Snake returns, another Metal Gear character would be entirely deserving? That's what you're saying with Sonic, at least.
Idk, Metal Gear isn't as big shot as Sonic, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

And no, it's extremely likely that Snake was cut.

Last edited:

Junahu

Smash Ace
From Sega's perspective, I see no reason why they would not push for additional representation of their franchise. And Sonic's brand power is still strong enough for Sega to use it to exert a little pressure over the development process.

As Lost World is being used as the aesthetic for Sonic's appearance, it's clear that Sega are participating much more actively this time around. I won't say a second rep is guaranteed, but it is absolutely not impossible at this point.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
From Sega's perspective, I see no reason why they would not push for additional representation of their franchise. And Sonic's brand power is still strong enough for Sega to use it to exert a little pressure over the development process.

As Lost World is being used as the aesthetic for Sonic's appearance, it's clear that Sega are participating much more actively this time around. I won't say a second rep is guaranteed, but it is absolutely not impossible at this point.
My point exactly.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But remember, Sonic has been in a lot of crossovers with Mario. Satoru Iwata and Sakurai might not have the same idea.
Iwata's opinion doesn't matter a whole lot here.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
maybe tails, but unlikely for any of them.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Those people saying that the sonic franchise doesn't deserve a second representative are extremely biased when they say they're not Nintendo. It's a clear attack upon the franchise. Yes, the Sonic franchise has every right to have a second representative. They are more involved with Nintendo than any other company besides SEGA, and the most active third party franchise involved with Nintendo. Sakurai is really being inconsiderate if he doesn't add another Sonic character as playable.
maybe tails, but unlikely for any of them.
Tails is the most likely, yes.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Those people saying that the sonic franchise doesn't deserve a second representative are extremely biased when they say they're not Nintendo. It's a clear attack upon the franchise. Yes, the Sonic franchise has every right to have a second representative. They are more involved with Nintendo than any other company besides SEGA, and the most active third party franchise involved with Nintendo. Sakurai is really being inconsiderate if he doesn't add another Sonic character as playable.
Or he just wants to treat guests evenly.

Capcom and Konami (and possibly Namco) may not appreciate the extra Sega love. Especially when Capcom and Namco have been constantly by Nintenedo's side as well.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Or he just wants to treat guests evenly.

Capcom and Konami (and possibly Namco) may not appreciate the extra Sega love. Especially when Capcom and Namco have been constantly by Nintenedo's side as well.
Mmm, idk. Capcom and Namco may not mind, because SEGA has more experience, but as far as Konami, I've seen a lot of speculation about Snake's disclusion, and I'd be really surprised if he isn't cut

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Mmm, idk. Capcom and Namco may not mind, because SEGA has more experience,
That's the thing.

If your talking about Sega's closeness to Nintendo, then Capcom and Namco have both:
A) Been around longer
B) Been supporting Nintendo longer

D

Deleted member

Namco has been more involved with Smash on the grounds that they are co-developing the upcoming pair of games.
All Sega's done so far is allow Sakurai to feature Sonic content.

Look, I'd be fine with Sonic getting a 2nd character more than I would be with Metal Gear or Mega Man, but you're really not helping your case here with the clear bias for Sonic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Namco has been more involved with Smash on the grounds that they are co-developing the upcoming pair of games.
All Sega's done so far is allow Sakurai to feature Sonic content.

Look, I'd be fine with Sonic getting a 2nd character more than I would be with Metal Gear or Mega Man, but you're really not helping your case here with the clear bias for Sonic.
Why not? It's involvement nonetheless, Namco is still new to the Smash environment, and SEGA's been having some involvement since Brawl, I don't see where I'm losing you!

D

Deleted member

Because while Namco is new, they're still doing a helluva lot more in regards to "involvement" than what Sega's done.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
cliffjumper to me that just means that you are not gonna see half a ton of Namco characters in smash but that a single one is entirely possible

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
....You completely ignored me when I addressed the problems with using that interview to mean there won't be any Bandai Namco characters, didn't you?

http://smashboards.com/threads/official-character-discussion-thread.347464/page-244#post-16456480
cliffjumper to me that just means that you are not gonna see half a ton of Namco characters in smash but that a single one is entirely possible
No, I didn't ignore anything, this article clearly means that Namco characters aren't coming.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Let it go, let it go!
Can't hold this back any more.
Let it go, let it go!
Turn away and slam the door.
I don't care, what you're going to say.
There will only be one.
Third Parties never bothered me anyway.

D

Deleted member

In other words, you don't want to admit you jumped to a false conclusion so you try to drop the subject.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There is no reason, no evidence, to state factually that Sonic will be given a 2nd character. None. Stating that without proof of any sort is simply blowing smoke.

If Sonic were such a big deal since Brawl, then why was he added last minute and not the first 3rd party revealed instead of Snake? Logically, Sonic would have been planned from the start and been the first to be shown.

Because it is a Nintendo crossover, I myself do not believe that any 3rd party series should get a second character. Once that happens, that means that that series is more of a big deal to Nintendo than F-Zero and on par with Fire Emblem and Mother, and Yoshi, and Wario...that's not believable.

I love Sonic, and I love his series. He's not a Nintendo character. If Nintendo owned Sega, then it would be a different story probably. But until they do, I'm rather certain Sonic will remain as the only Sonic character in Smash Bros.

No need to get heated in here guys. It's all just speculation.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
No, the mods are known for scolding us for talking about off subject topics in certain threads, and we've already caught Scoliosis Jones' attention it looks like.
That doesn't mean anything. You're wrong. It does not state that Namco wont get reps, it just being treated equally like everyone else. A reason Sonic wont get another Rep.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Cliffjumper: Not trying to sound offensive (but I know it's going to sound a bit offensive), but you should try avoiding your bias toward Sonic franchise.

I, personally, am a fan of Sonic, and I don't want Pac-Man in Smash (for totally personnal reasons). Does it mean I think Sonic deserves a second playable spot, and that Namco will get nothing because of that article? No.
Namco is one of the most known videogames developpers, and Smash Bros is not Mario vs Sonic (I know that 2 characters won't give this feeling, but you get the idea).

Honestly, I think 3 guests (this includes a second Sonic rep) would be a bit too much, although I won't really mind.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Cliffjumper: Not trying to sound offensive (but I know it's going to sound a bit offensive), but you should try avoiding your bias toward Sonic franchise.

I, personally, am a fan of Sonic, and I don't want Pac-Man in Smash (for totally personnal reasons). Does it mean I think Sonic deserves a second playable spot, and that Namco will get nothing because of that article? No.
Namco is one of the most known videogames developpers, and Smash Bros is not Mario vs Sonic (I know that 2 characters won't give this feeling, but you get the idea).

Honestly, I think 3 guests (this includes a second Sonic rep) would be a bit too much, although I won't really mind.
Well, remember what Scoliosis Jones said: the chances would be higher if somehow Nintendo bought out SEGA. I don't see why they'd do that, but I'm just saying that after a third smash appearance by Sonic, Sakurai might be more considerate about the situation. I know it's unlikely, but I'm not giving up hope just yet. As far as PacMan goes, it would be nice, but I just don't have hope for him because of the article.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, remember what Scoliosis Jones said: the chances would be higher if somehow Nintendo bought out SEGA. I don't see why they'd do that, but I'm just saying that after a third smash appearance by Sonic, Sakurai might be more considerate about the situation. I know it's unlikely, but I'm not giving up hope just yet. As far as PacMan goes, it would be nice, but I just don't have hope for him because of the article.
Exactly. If Sega becomes a second party developper, similar to GameFreaks for exemple, then it could happen easily.
And I finnally see want I wanted to see "I know it's unlikely, but I'm not giving up hope just yet". This sound way more rational :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom