• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic the Hedgehog; a 2nd series rep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Idk, F-Zero, Yoshi, WarioWare? Honestly, what second reps would you have in mind for them?
Possible F-Zero characters:
Black Shadow
Samurai Goroh
Pico

Possible Yoshi characters:
Kamek
Baby Bros.

Possible Wario Ware / Wario Land characters:
Captain Syrup
Mona
Jimmy T
Shake King

Do some research.

Regardless, this talk doesn't belong here.

Back to possible Sonic characters.

Sonic won't get any more characters this time. If it did happen, Tails would be the one.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Possible F-Zero characters:
Black Shadow
Samurai Goroh
Pico

Possible Yoshi characters:
Kamek
Baby Bros.

Possible Wario Ware / Wario Land characters:
Captain Syrup
Mona
Jimmy T
Shake King

Do some research.

Regardless, this talk doesn't belong here.

Back to possible Sonic characters.

Sonic won't get any more characters this time. If it did happen, Tails would be the one.
They might, we just need the time to find out.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
As mentioned earlier, it would be nice if Sonic got another rep. Highly unlikely at this time. The Sonic franchise was such a great franchise in video game history, and that is the only reason I may give a nod towards a second rep. Not necessarily because Sonic's other characters help represent the franchise, but because of the franchise's history. Sonic seems to rep his franchise easily. (I hope everyone understands what I'm trying to say here. :ohwell:)

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, look at it this way, not all of those franchises even need a second rep, they probably don't even have one that's suitable, and there's plenty of Sonic characters to choose from, so it doesn't matter the slightest. No offense.
The "suitable" argument doesn't really belong here, look at Starfox and Mother: the characters are semi-clones, and from series with few games, were they suitable to be new characters?
Absolutely. They are memorable Nintendo characters and deserves it (that said, I dislike Falco. But he deserves his spot). Now, as Swampasaur said, there's plenty of characters to take from those Nintendo series. So why should we take a third party character before them?
Just a simple question: Have you ever made a reversed thinking? I mean "Why should Sonic would NOT get a newcommer?" Again, I'm a Sonic fan, but I think Sonic alone represents well his own serie. And also that a Sonic character wouldn't be able to bring something really new one the table, despite how different they can be from Sonic himself.

Also, I really like the "no offense" sentence :troll: "I want to be offensive, but I also kinda don't want to" (I didn't find that offensive by the way so don't worry.)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sonic is my favourite franchise alongside Smash Bros, but I don't see a need for another Sonic rep. I wouldn't be against it if it happened, but I seriously doubt it will, and I'm not asking for any. Sonic in Smash Bros is really cool both because of history reasons and because I get to see Sonic interact with some of my other favourite video game characters in one of my favourite genres of games. I've already seen Sonic fight against Eggman countless times, or fight alongside Tails and Knuckles and Shadow tons of times, so Smash Bros would just be another one. And Mario & Sonic already have their own crossover series anyway. And besides Mario characters, there are no Nintendo charcaters I have any real interest in seeing Sonic characters interact with, except for Sonic himself (and maybe Eggman).

A second assist trophy would be cool, and if there is a boss battle mode, a fight against Eggman would be amazing. And a handheld Sonic stage for Smash 3DS would also be cool. Beyond that though, Sonic doesn't need any more representation, and in the Trophy/Sticker/Music department, he had a lot in Brawl, and likely will again. So Sonic franchise representation is fine.

If they had to put a second Sonic character in, it has to be Eggman. He's the only one who could be a legitimately unique fighter in Smash, on the level the 5 confirmed newcomers seem to be, he'd be an awesome villain to add to the roster, and any excuse to hear Mike Pollock's voice is a good one! Though I don't want another Sonic character because I am hoping they will confirm one more third party rep (besides Snake, who I believe will come back anyway), and I'd rather it be a different franchise. My personal hope is Professor Layton, as he is so strongly associated with Nintendo (much like Mega Man), he is an awesome character with a layered personality and a lot of back story, and he has a ton of potential for a unique moveset, and it would help draw in more 3DS owners. It'd also create a balance in the third party representation, with Sonic and Mega Man being the retro third parties, and Snake and Professor Layton being the more modern ones (even though Snake is technically retro, everyone remembers him for Metal Gear Solid onward).

I'm going to be the devil's advocate and say Pac-Man does not really deserve a spot on the roster. As always, I would be happy for the people who want him if he did make it in, but I personally think he does not deserve a place because the first Pac-Man game is the only one anyone really cares about, and that game is not popular because of it's mascot, while Sonic and Mega Man are very much popular because of the appeal of the mascots. They would probably just use Pac-Man's new design too, and the new Pac-Man is honestly not that cool at all.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
The only 2nd Sonic rep I want to see is either Tails or Knuckles. When People request Shadow, it annoys me for some reason. Even if Shadow has a completely unique move set. He is still just another Sonic because they look to similar. It would be boring. We already have enough characters that look similar to each other in Smash. Tails and Knuckles would be interesting.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I'm still thinking that we can get an extra Sonic rep during E3, but the only ones I see coming are Tails, Shadow, Amy, Knuckles, or Doctor Eggman, but we will most likely only get ONE. If it doesn't happen, then the rumor about Character Customization may be our only hope. (DISCLAIMER: I have some doubt in the Customization option rumor)

volbound1700

Smash Master
The "suitable" argument doesn't really belong here, look at Starfox and Mother: the characters are semi-clones, and from series with few games, were they suitable to be new characters?
Absolutely. They are memorable Nintendo characters and deserves it (that said, I dislike Falco. But he deserves his spot). Now, as Swampasaur said, there's plenty of characters to take from those Nintendo series. So why should we take a third party character before them?
Just a simple question: Have you ever made a reversed thinking? I mean "Why should Sonic would NOT get a newcommer?" Again, I'm a Sonic fan, but I think Sonic alone represents well his own serie. And also that a Sonic character wouldn't be able to bring something really new one the table, despite how different they can be from Sonic himself.

Also, I really like the "no offense" sentence :troll: "I want to be offensive, but I also kinda don't want to" (I didn't find that offensive by the way so don't worry.)

I disagree. The list swampasaur is not well known outside of major Nintendo fans. Sure if you want to go with popularity, you could grab more Mario, DK, and Zelda characters. F-Zero is a dead franchise and F-Zero is likely the only suitable candidate for the series at this point.

Characters like Tails, Knuckles, etc. are far well known and even could potentially have more unique movesets than some of the Nintendo characters we are collecting from the bottom of the barrell.

However, I would rather see Rayman, Pac-Man, etc. than another Sonic character.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
F-Zero is likely the only suitable candidate for the series at this point.
Um....

You mean Captain Falcon?

And does it really matter that they're not too well known? About half the cast can be considered obscure.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Um....

You mean Captain Falcon?

And does it really matter that they're not too well known? About half the cast can be considered obscure.

From a sales standpoint, likely. I mean you could add a few here and there. Honestly, outside of maybe Kamek, nobody on your list excited me.

To me, we need more characters from Main Nintendo series (Toad, Skull Kid, Vaati, King K Rool, Dixie Kong, etc.)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, outside of maybe Kamek, nobody on your list excited me.
Isn't that just personal preference though?

Regardless, this talk should be moved elsewhere.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh no, not again. Why is this where we see all the commotion?
It's the Second Sonic Character thread. This is the place to discuss Second Sonic Characters.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
It's the Second Sonic Character thread. This is the place to discuss Second Sonic Characters.
I get that part, but I've seen some pretty random commotion here. As for me, I'm always trying to avoid a fight as much as possible, which can be seen a few times in the Krystal thread. No offense or anything.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Personally, I would love Tails to make it because I grew up playing the original Genesis games.
Same here. And as the little brother, I had to play Tails :laugh: But I played Tails anyway when playing alone.
My sister was always Tails and I was Sonic. I remember teasing her with the Sonic Wins part on the special stages of Sonic 2 vs mode. I would wave my finger like Sonic does in the game lol.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Personally, I would love Tails to make it because I grew up playing the original Genesis games.
Tails was also a childhood favorite for me, if I was asked the question "If you were a VIDEOGAME character, who would you be?" I'd say Tails. I could imagine his side move be carrying an opponent away or something like that, that would make me laugh.

zkaka3000

Smash Cadet
I know it's never going to happen, but I'd personally would love if Flicky makes an appearance. Maybe not as a fighter (though I think it would be pretty funny), but a stage cameo or AT/sticker. I really love the original game she stars in. It has a certain charm and it's pretty addictive.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
IF you cant tell already, Im a BIG fan of Cream the Rabbit...her chances of getting in are fairly..FAIRLY low, but look at the new confirmed characters. Wii Fit Trainer? Shes completely outta the Blue, SO why not Cream? She hasn't had any playable spotlight since Sonic Free Riders, a game released back in November....of 2010...seriously? If Cream makes it in, I will Squeal for hours, days and years...that's how much i want her in. Her moveset would be mediocre and she be a ''light weight'' but i see her as i character used to rack up damage and finish off opponents with a Smash Attack~ Kinda like peach~

:drmario:<------------Who are you again?.....Dr.Mario? How similar are you and Regular Mario?...I see....
Cream the rabbit has no shot. 0. Less than Waluigi.

If on the slim slim slim off chance they put in a second Sonic character it's either Tails, Knuckles or Shadow.

Last edited:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
If I may, it's not really that slim. It's the Year of Sonic, plus I think Amy would be a good player to!
It really is that slim.

That both Sonic and Mega Man are in the game is nothing short of a miracle.

Do you think Capcom would be happy if Nintendo asked Sega for two characters?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If I may, it's not really that slim. It's the Year of Sonic, plus I think Amy would be a good player to!
But Cream of all characters?

She's like a C-list Sonic character.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
It really is that slim.

That both Sonic and Mega Man are in the game is nothing short of a miracle.

Do you think Capcom would be happy if Nintendo asked Sega for two characters?
Capcom has less experience than SEGA in smash, I'm sure they can wait patiently.
But Cream of all characters?

She's like a C-list Sonic character.
I'm not counting on Cream, the only Sonic characters with a chance are Tails, Shadow, Knuckles, and Amy. Either way we may have to wait until the fifth smash, just like Donkey Kong, Metroid, Kirby, and Earthbound did.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Someone stated earlier that Sonic has a lot of characters. Those that I have played the Sonic games can tell the difference between their characters rather simply. However, those that haven't played every Sonic game and gotten into the game, the characters look like carbon copies of one another. I think this really hurts the uniqueness aspect of SSB4. Tails, to me, is the main one that really sticks out if Sonic were to get a second rep. Again, I'd rather him be like the Ice Climbers, like that April Fool's Joke, because he is very similar in the earlier games. Now, he is his own character and could represent himself. I'll just always remember Tails from Sonic 2/3. (Also, it would make Sonic's recovery a lot cooler with Tails carrying him.)

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Capcom has less experience than SEGA in smash, I'm sure they can wait patiently.

I'm not counting on Cream, the only Sonic characters with a chance are Tails, Shadow, Knuckles, and Amy. Either way we may have to wait until the fifth smash, just like Donkey Kong, Metroid, Kirby, and Earthbound did.
3rd party is 3rd party. It is a really slim chance. Sakurai keeps saying he doesn't want too many 3rd parties, he's going to keep the number really low each game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Honestly, I think the only Sonic character that has a chance was confirmed in October.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Honestly, I think the only Sonic character that has a chance was confirmed in October.
Maybe, just maybe. It is the year of Sonic, but if we do not get another player this time, we're probably get a second sonic player in the next game, Sonic will have good enough experience in Smash by then.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Maybe, just maybe. It is the year of Sonic, but if we do not get another player this time, we're probably get a second sonic player in the next game, Sonic will have good enough experience in Smash by then.
I highly doubt the Year of Sonic means anything. For Smash and Nintendo, anyway. For SEGA? Sure. But not Nintendo.

And even though that's really far away, I just doubt we'll ever get a second Sonic character. Sakurai wants to limit third parties, and to get two from not only the same company, but the same series? That seems like it's going too far.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
And even though that's really far away, I just doubt we'll ever get a second Sonic character. Sakurai wants to limit third parties, and to get two from not only the same company, but the same series? That seems like it's going too far.
Nah, since the Sonic franchise is too popular for just one rep, just two is plenty. The Sonic franchise has every right to have two playable characters, but three is the real problem.

Please consider the following:
Sakurai says he wants to limit the use of 3rd party characters. He can still do that with a second Sonic representative, but only one extra Sonic representative, two is the limit. Fans in turn will be extremely happy about this, and Sakurai won't be hurt that much.

Don't think of it as bias, think of it as a compromise.

Also, about the company factor, if he's limiting third party characters, then Sonic is the only SEGA franchise that will ever be involved, Bayonetta and Super Monkey Ball are not having any involvement at all.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nah, since the Sonic franchise is too popular for just one rep, just two is plenty. The Sonic franchise has every right to have two playable characters, but three is the real problem.

Please consider the following:
Sakurai says he wants to limit the use of 3rd party characters. He can still do that with a second Sonic representative, but only one extra Sonic representative, two is the limit. Fans in turn will be extremely happy about this, and Sakurai won't be hurt that much.

Don't think of it as bias, think of it as a compromise.

Also, about the company factor, if he's limiting third party characters, then Sonic is the only SEGA franchise that will ever be involved, Bayonetta and Super Monkey Ball are not having any involvement at all.
The problem here is that the Sonic franchise doesn't "deserve" anything. It's a guest series, and this game is about Nintendo first and foremost. Its popularity doesn't matter too much. The popularity was what got Sonic in in general. I don't think it'll go beyond that. So no, it doesn't have "every right." It's lucky that it has one character. The compromise was to have Sonic to begin with.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
The problem here is that the Sonic franchise doesn't "deserve" anything. It's a guest series, and this game is about Nintendo first and foremost. Its popularity doesn't matter too much. The popularity was what got Sonic in in general. I don't think it'll go beyond that. So no, it doesn't have "every right." It's lucky that it has one character. The compromise was to have Sonic to begin with.
You don't understand. Sonic being a guest series has no significance. Nintendo helps Sonic stand out as a character very well, and Nintendo gets along very well with SEGA, so yes, the Sonic franchise has every right to have a second player. Sonic is pretty much in super smash bros to stay, and about the game being Nintendo first and foremost, that's only more support that the sonic franchise only needs two players, two players is still a small percentage of all the characters in the game. The compromise is having one more representative for the pleasure of the fans, and only that one representative to satisfy Sakurai's wish to limit use of third party characters. You are not pointing out anything.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The question is, though, why use the time and resources to get an additional Sonic character as a guest when Nintendo has its own great fighters to choose from without the redundancy? There's plenty to pick from without resorting to a second Sonic character. Not to mention the inconsistency of getting a second Sonic character without a second Metal Gear or Mega Man character...

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
The question is, though, why use the time and resources to get an additional Sonic character as a guest when Nintendo has its own great fighters to choose from without the redundancy? There's plenty to pick from without resorting to a second Sonic character. Not to mention the inconsistency of getting a second Sonic character without a second Metal Gear or Mega Man character...
The answer, Sonic is the third party character with the most experience in Smash, Metal Gear and MegaMan have less experience in smash.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I honestly don't think that 3rd parties would get multiple reps, but if the sonic series does get another I would like to see knuckles or eggman. I feel like they would be the most unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom