• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic the Hedgehog; a 2nd series rep

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I agree that Sonic isn't getting a 2nd rep, but I'm pretty darn sure Sonic's likely staying.

Sonic staying:

Pros:
Veteran
Popularity
Unique

Cons:
3rd Party
Last Minute Inclusion
"Less emphasis on 3rd parties" (somehow "2" was a lot to Sakurai.)
Megaman
Rayman and Snake (all three of these characters are fighting for the "possible" second 3rd party spot.

I honestly doubt he'll come back. We'll see.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Sonic staying:

Pros:
Veteran
Popularity
Unique

Cons:
3rd Party
Last Minute Inclusion
"Less emphasis on 3rd parties" (somehow "2" was a lot to Sakurai.)
Megaman
Rayman and Snake (all three of these characters are fighting for the "possible" second 3rd party spot.

I honestly doubt he'll come back. We'll see.
Besides the pros you already stated, there was also a recent deal between Sega and Nintendo for three exclusive Sonic games to Nintendo systems, two of which we already know of (Sonic Lost World, and another Mario & Sonic Olympics game) the third is completely unknown to us.

Also since Brawl and the first Olympic games, both Sega and Nintendo seem to enjoy milking the whole Sonic Vs. Mario novelty. And it's still selling, the reason why we now have four M&S Olympic games. I don't see them missing out another chance to do it again with SSB4. Plus with Megaman in the picture, they'd be missing out on the chance to have Sonic and Megaman in a game together for the first time as well. Having Sonic, Mario, and Megaman ought to have those who were hardcore gamers in the 90s begging for this game.

I also figure "Less emphasis on 3rd Parties" means more to NEW 3rd Party newcomers. While Sonic (And possibly Snake) still have their spots warm and cozy while Megaman got a spot. A 4th one is a maybe.

Also it's completely illogical to cut a character that got in the previous game because of high demand. And not have him return to the next game where those who loved his inclusion in the previous game might be a bit alienated if he's not more planned out this time.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Besides the pros you already stated, there was also a recent deal between Sega and Nintendo for three exclusive Sonic games to Nintendo systems, two of which we already know of (Sonic Lost World, and another Mario & Sonic Olympics game) the third is completely unknown to us.

Also since Brawl and the first Olympic games, both Sega and Nintendo seem to enjoy milking the whole Sonic Vs. Mario novelty. And it's still selling, the reason why we now have four M&S Olympic games. I don't see them missing out another chance to do it again with SSB4. Plus with Megaman in the picture, they'd be missing out on the chance to have Sonic and Megaman in a game together for the first time as well. Having Sonic, Mario, and Megaman ought to have those who were hardcore gamers in the 90s begging for this game.

I also figure "Less emphasis on 3rd Parties" means more to NEW 3rd Party newcomers. While Sonic (And possibly Snake) still have their spots warm and cozy while Megaman got a spot. A 4th one is a maybe.

Also it's completely illogical to cut a character that got in the previous game because of high demand. And not have him return to the next game where those who loved his inclusion in the previous game might be a bit alienated if he's not more planned out this time.

I thought that was just a rumor. Maybe it'll be legitimate then.

Perhaps a 3rd party roster of Megaman, Sonic, and 1 more would be nicest. Rayman! :cool:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
if sonic gets another rep, I think it should be tails. then I hope he's not a mix of sonic and dixie.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I thought that was just a rumor. Maybe it'll be legitimate then.

Perhaps a 3rd party roster of Megaman, Sonic, and 1 more would be nicest. Rayman! :cool:
Heh heh, that'd be nice ^^. But yeah technically at least until whatever the 3rd game is that's Nintendo exclusive is released. Sonic's an honorary Nintendo character... Just in time for SSB4 xD

At least I'm hoping it counts, while I'll still get SSB4 whether Sonic's in it or not. I admit it'd take me a long time to get over it. I can't bear the thought of having Nintendo basically tell me "Want to play as Sonic in Smash Bros.? Just play Brawl again!" :urg:

I love Brawl and all, but I could see myself sighing in sadness everytime I look at Brawl's roster and then SSB4's if Sonic's not in it even years after the latter game's been released.

if sonic gets another rep, I think it should be tails. then I hope he's not a mix of sonic and dixie.
Yeah if Sonic ever got a 2nd rep, it'd have to be Tails no doubt. It won't happen in SSB4, as heck people are worried about Sonic himself returning as it is. Let alone a 2nd Sonic character getting in. But regardless, Tails is the Sonic Series' Luigi who's unfortunately been buried under in recent years under new characters that kept popping up or overshadowing (No pun intended about Shadow himself :p) him and Knuckles as well. But despite this, he and Sonic is still a famous gaming duo, and Tails himself is very iconic to the series as a whole. A Team Match of Mario & Luigi Vs. Sonic & Tails would be pretty cool to say the least.

Kinda wish Sega would just make a Sonic fighting game for Consoles already. Or better yet, branch out the Mario & Sonic Olympics to more then just sport minigames and give an all new fighting game. People might even find that preferable to a platformer between the two being made. The only ones there currently are is Sonic the Fighters which was once only available to play on Sonic Gems Collection before it got a Downloadable release for PSN and I think Xbox Live as well. And then there's also Sonic Battle, which was a pretty neat Sonic game for the GBA. But who knows, perhaps this secret third game of the Nintendo/Sega exclusive deal is either one of these. It probably wouldn't be half as good as a Smash Bros. game, but for me it'd be a nice distraction every once in a while.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Seems as though Sonic has been confirmed for the next Smash Bros. That's one giant step towards having a second Sonic rep in smash bros. It's still not very likely, but it's definitely within the realms of possibility.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Sonic was revealed early.
There are two Sonic releases for Wii U coming up (Lost Worlds and Sochi).
They used the Sonic Heroes theme for the reveal video.

I think the chances of Tails and Knuckles have just increased!a tiny increase, but I'm still happy about it okay!

Zigzagar

Smash Journeyman
Sonic is 3rd Party Sakurai said he will not add multiple 3rd Party character from the same franchise or even the same company

SonicMario

Smash Master
Sonic was revealed early.
There are two Sonic releases for Wii U coming up (Lost Worlds and Sochi).
They used the Sonic Heroes theme for the reveal video.

I think the chances of Tails and Knuckles have just increased!a tiny increase, but I'm still happy about it okay!
Nah I don't think so. I'll be REALLY surprised if it happened. Though it'd make a neat surprise if say a 2nd rep is hidden amongst the full roster for whenever we find that out.

But as much as I'd love Tails in the game I don't see it happening.

Mabataki

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4167-4743-1372
This has made my day.. Now we can all hope for Tails, Knuckles, or Shadow to get in. At least as an assist trophy...and if they did add another character, i'd honestly say each one of those 3 have about an equal chance

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Well I don't have a link I just heard from one of LordJackal's videos on youtube

No offense to you, but I don't trust anything more than secondary sources (you being a minimum 4th), especially when I've only heard it from one place, and it's about something with so many rumors flying about anyways. I still don't think Tails and Knuckles are likely, but I don't think Sakurai's against the idea per se, just has greater priority for Nintendo franchises.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If there was a second Sonic rep I think they'd be a secret character so that when people find it they'll be all hype.

ShichibukaiJimbe

Smash Apprentice
If there was a second Sonic rep I think they'd be a secret character so that when people find it they'll be all hype.
But even if it's unlockable, wouldn't they announce bfeore to create the biggest hype? Sonic and Snake were both unlockables

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
But even if it's unlockable, wouldn't they announce bfeore to create the biggest hype? Sonic and Snake were both unlockables

I agree with this, a second Sonic rep would likely be revealed before release to garner more hype prior to release... There's a chance that it would be left, 'cos it would get all over the internet when the game's out, but I think it would have less effect than revealing him (it's going to be a him) beforehand. A third character (I honestly feel Tails and Knuckles are more likely as a pair than either are on their own) could be left for the release, but I don't see it if only one gets in.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I'm up for an extra Sonic representative! Those people saying that third party franchises only one character? They're cruisin for a bruisin! The Sonic franchise has every right to have a second player.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I'm up for an extra Sonic representative! Those people saying that third party franchises only one character? They're cruisin for a bruisin! The Sonic franchise has every right to have a second player.
No, it doesn't.
This is a Nintendo game, for Nintendo characters. Use your head, kid. Nintendo characters deserve spots over 3rd parties, plain and simple. Sakurai never stated only one representative per third party franchise, he said that 3rd parties will have limited inclusion overall. Which leads us to believe that Sakurai would focus more on adding more 3rd party franchises (with what little space there is for them) than adding two from one third party. So, no, it isn't impossible.
But the only characters who deserve a spot are Nintendo characters.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
No, it doesn't.
This is a Nintendo game, for Nintendo characters. Use your head, kid. Nintendo characters deserve spots over 3rd parties, plain and simple. Sakurai never stated only one representative per third party franchise, he said that 3rd parties will have limited inclusion overall. Which leads us to believe that Sakurai would focus more on adding more 3rd party franchises (with what little space there is for them) than adding two from one third party. So, no, it isn't impossible.
But the only characters who deserve a spot are Nintendo characters.
That only means that the Sonic series will only get ONE extra representative, JUST ONE other, I'm fine with just two Sonic players.

And "Use your head?" RUDE!!!!!!!!! You better be happy that I'm not writing you up!

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
That only means that the Sonic series will only get ONE extra representative, JUST ONE other, I'm fine with just two Sonic players.

And "Use your head?" RUDE!!!!!!!!! You better be happy that I'm not writing you up!
It doesn't mean anything. My point is that Sonic doesn't deserve another rep. And I'm not being rude, grow up, kid.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
It doesn't mean anything. My point is that Sonic doesn't deserve another rep. And I'm not being rude, grow up, kid.
Excuse me, Little Jimmy Walker?!?!?! I know rude when I see it, and you're still being rude! "Grow up kid?" You're as sour as a truckload of lemons! The Sonic franchise CAN have an extra player, JUST ONE!! That's not a threat, that's a COMPROMISE!!! You don't like it, then leave me alone!

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I'm not saying it "can't" happen, I'm saying it won't happen. Regardless, a compromise with me is meaningless. If any third party franchise were to get two reps, it would be Sonic. If you think I am rude you will not survive on the Internet.

SonicMario

Smash Master
You're not really helping your case CliffJumper by saying people who disagree with you is being rude.

I would also like a 2nd Sonic rep (Though personally of course I'd prefer it be Tails). But I'm not going to expect a 2nd Sonic rep in this game and that's fine. I'm happy enough already Sonic proved the people who said 3rd Parties cannot be veterans wrong.

The best hope for another Sonic character making it in at any time in the future is how much Sonic Boom's use of characters other then Sonic is well received or not. I don't think it's just the limits Sakurai puts on 3rd parties that lowers the chances of any kind of 2nd Sonic character getting in (Though logically that's the biggest reason), but also the fact Sega's been doing games with only Sonic playable ever since the disaster that was Sonic 06. Sonic Boom, if at least decent and the other characters other then Sonic play well. That could start a road for a 2nd Sonic character to make it in for the 5th Smash Bros. (I don't go by Sakurai's logic of Wii U and 3DS being Smash 4 and 5, because if they have the same exact roster, the only real difference is of course what the hardware of each console allows them to do. They're both Smash 4 as far as I'm concerned).

Right now though I think certain needs to align in order for this to be possible.
1. Sonic Boom must be received well enough, especially the use of Tails, Knuckles, and Amy
2. A new director other then Sakurai is hired for the next one after Smash 4. A different director might be more lenient on 3rd Party representation.
3. More games besides Sonic Boom use more then just Sonic in the games. And those games also being successful on a Nintendo system.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The only extra Sonic rep I would accept is Tails, since he's been with Sonic since the beginning. It would seem fitting for Sonic to get his most loyal sidekick.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Warning Received
You're not really helping your case CliffJumper by saying people who disagree with you is being rude.

I would also like a 2nd Sonic rep (Though personally of course I'd prefer it be Tails). But I'm not going to expect a 2nd Sonic rep in this game and that's fine. I'm happy enough already Sonic proved the people who said 3rd Parties cannot be veterans wrong.

The best hope for another Sonic character making it in at any time in the future is how much Sonic Boom's use of characters other then Sonic is well received or not. I don't think it's just the limits Sakurai puts on 3rd parties that lowers the chances of any kind of 2nd Sonic character getting in (Though logically that's the biggest reason), but also the fact Sega's been doing games with only Sonic playable ever since the disaster that was Sonic 06. Sonic Boom, if at least decent and the other characters other then Sonic play well. That could start a road for a 2nd Sonic character to make it in for the 5th Smash Bros. (I don't go by Sakurai's logic of Wii U and 3DS being Smash 4 and 5, because if they have the same exact roster, the only real difference is of course what the hardware of each console allows them to do. They're both Smash 4 as far as I'm concerned).

Right now though I think certain needs to align in order for this to be possible.
1. Sonic Boom must be received well enough, especially the use of Tails, Knuckles, and Amy
2. A new director other then Sakurai is hired for the next one after Smash 4. A different director might be more lenient on 3rd Party representation.
3. More games besides Sonic Boom use more then just Sonic in the games. And those games also being successful on a Nintendo system.
That's not how they were being rude, Toothiest Aura basically called me stupid. Someday, we CAN AND WILL have a second Sonic representative, it might be this smash that we get one because this is the year of sonic.

Update: A Sonic racing game comes out this March. A second Sonic representative might be on his/her way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind seeing a second Sonic rep. Like most people in here, I believe it would have to be Tails. He's been with Sonic since StH2. I doubt we will get a second Sonic rep. I would have been fine with that fake rumor from the Melee days with Sonic and Tails together(Ice Climber style). Sonic represents his franchise pretty well by himself. I was surprised to see a Sonic level in Brawl since he was implemented late(correct?). But, Tails should be the representative if he ever gets a second.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I hihly doubt that we ever get a second Sonic-Character. Sonic is a third-party-Character or better more a Guest Character.
How would it look like if a guest-Franchise had more characters than a nintendo-Franchise.
Imagine Brawl had a second Sonic character (Tails, Shadow, pick one) that would be the same amount as Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong and Earthbound/Mother.

I would really love to see another Sonic-Character (Blaze the Car to name someone different) but as long as Sega doesnt become a second-Party Company
to Nintendo i dont see it happen....sorry guys dont be mad. ^^

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'd rather see Simon Belmont than another Sonic character
I'd like Simon Belmont overall

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I hihly doubt that we ever get a second Sonic-Character. Sonic is a third-party-Character or better more a Guest Character.
How would it look like if a guest-Franchise had more characters than a nintendo-Franchise.
Imagine Brawl had a second Sonic character (Tails, Shadow, pick one) that would be the same amount as Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong and Earthbound/Mother.

I would really love to see another Sonic-Character (Blaze the Car to name someone different) but as long as Sega doesnt become a second-Party Company
to Nintendo i dont see it happen....sorry guys dont be mad. ^^
No offense taken, but it really doesn't matter, Nintendo helps Sonic stand out as a character, they don't do that for Metal Gear, MegaMan, or Simon Belmont. He's an EXCEPTION to these so called "guests" you're talking about. And also, it's the year of sonic, no reason for Sakurai not to play along. Thirdly, look at how much less time it took for Sakurai to announce Sonic. It took him 16 for him to announce him for Brawl, now it's only been 4, that's one year faster. I'm sorry about the long post, I'm just trying to be absolutely sure I don't get in trouble for double posting.

SonicMario

Smash Master
No offense taken, but it really doesn't matter, Nintendo helps Sonic stand out as a character, they don't do that for Metal Gear, MegaMan, or Simon Belmont. He's an EXCEPTION to these so called "guests" you're talking about. And also, it's the year of sonic, no reason for Sakurai not to play along. Thirdly, look at how much less time it took for Sakurai to announce Sonic. It took him 16 for him to announce him for Brawl, now it's only been 4, that's one year faster. I'm sorry about the long post, I'm just trying to be absolutely sure I don't get in trouble for double posting.
I don't think the Year of Sonic means as much as the Year of Luigi did. Frankly I don't know where Sega was going with having the advert for Sonic Boom showing "Year of Sonic" on it. But I doubt it effects Smash Bros. that much.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I don't think the Year of Sonic means as much as the Year of Luigi did. Frankly I don't know where Sega was going with having the advert for Sonic Boom showing "Year of Sonic" on it. But I doubt it effects Smash Bros. that much.
At the least we're getting something, maybe Silver or Rouge as an AT, the Ark or Crisis City as a stage, or the master emerald as an item? Come on, dude, a second rep isn't that unlikely.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
At the least we're getting something, maybe Silver or Rouge as an AT, the Ark or Crisis City as a stage, or the master emerald as an item? Come on, dude, a second rep isn't that unlikely.
Maybe im just to negative to this subject. But i think it would be a bit unfair if one third-Party Franchise would get 2 characters an another only 1.
I dont say ist impossible but i dont think its gonna happen.

SonicMario

Smash Master
We already have Windy Hill. I assume that's all we're getting in terms of stages for the Wii U version. The 3DS I imagine will have a game from one of Sonic's handheld games. Maybe something from Sonic Advance or Sonic Rush? I think Shadow could return as an Assist Trophy. If 3rd Parties are allowed more then one assist trophy maybe Tails, Knuckles, or Amy could pop out as well.

I just don't think the SSB series is entirely ready for a 2nd Sonic character. If Tails somehow makes it in, I'll be plesantly surprised. But otherwise I think Sonic just needs to be established as a recurring SSB franchise by appearing twice. And then they can think of expanding for when he comes back the third time. DK, Mother/Earthbound series, and Kirby all only had one represenative until Brawl came out.

Don't get me wrong. I'd like Tails to find a way in. It'd be a nice surprise to see his name when the the full roster is leaked (I feel a 2nd Sonic rep if it exists would be something that's kept a surprise until you find out the full roster). But I don't want to get too greedy just yet when this is ultimately a Nintendo mostly franchise. Shouldn't expect too much in terms of the roster besides Sonic. So I'm keeping my expectations low for any 2nd Sonic rep at all. So that I'm not disappointed when it most likely doesn't happen, or I'm completely surprised (In a good way unless it's Shadow :S) in the off chance it does

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Maybe im just to negative to this subject.
Nah

I just don't think the SSB series is entirely ready for a 2nd Sonic character. If Tails somehow makes it in, I'll be plesantly surprised. But otherwise I think Sonic just needs to be established as a recurring SSB franchise by appearing twice. And then they can think of expanding for when he comes back the third time. DK, Mother/Earthbound series, and Kirby all only had one represenative until Brawl came out.

Don't get me wrong. I'd like Tails to find a way in. It'd be a nice surprise to see his name when the the full roster is leaked (I feel a 2nd Sonic rep if it exists would be something that's kept a surprise until you find out the full roster). But I don't want to get too greedy just yet when this is ultimately a Nintendo mostly franchise. Shouldn't expect too much in terms of the roster besides Sonic. So I'm keeping my expectations low for any 2nd Sonic rep at all. So that I'm not disappointed when it most likely doesn't happen, or I'm completely surprised (In a good way unless it's Shadow :S) in the off chance it does
If we will have to wait for Smash 5 for a second Sonic rep, I will do so with respect.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
As a Sonic fan since the Master System, a second Sonic rep before a second Wario, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, and/or Metroid (if we count Samus and ZSS as one character of course) is a REALLY bad idea. All those series have good characters to offer. Remember it is a Nintendo All Star Game.

Tails would be cool, though. I'd like to see Eggman, but an assist trophy would work well enough with him.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
As a Sonic fan since the Master System, a second Sonic rep before a second Wario, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, and/or Metroid (if we count Samus and ZSS as one character of course) is a REALLY bad idea. All those series have good characters to offer. Remember it is a Nintendo All Star Game.

Tails would be cool, though. I'd like to see Eggman, but an assist trophy would work well enough with him.
Well, look at it this way, not all of those franchises even need a second rep, they probably don't even have one that's suitable, and there's plenty of Sonic characters to choose from, so it doesn't matter the slightest. No offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom