• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic the Hedgehog; a 2nd series rep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Not in the sense you were using it... was fame what made Pit get into Brawl, G&W into Melee, or WFT now?
Pit, Game and Watch, and Wii Fit Trainer are far from being icons in videogame history, Sonic is one of the greatest, so yes, Nintendo owning SEGA means the Sonic franchise would have as much characters as Mario.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Pit, Game and Watch, and Wii Fit Trainer are far from being icons in videogame history, Sonic is one of the greatest, so yes, Nintendo owning SEGA means the Sonic franchise would have as much characters as Mario.
Well, Nintendo might not share the same sentiments, simply because they have not always owned Sonic the Hedgehog. I'd say we get four reps max, and they should be Sonic, Tails, Dr. Eggman and maybe Shadow, Amy Rose, Knuckles, Rouge, and the Chaotix.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
Sonic have as much as Mario? Thats ridiculous. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Rosalina (sorta) are diverse, iconic, and represent the Mario series perfectly fine. Who in their right mind would consider Amy or Knuckles an "icon of gaming"? If SEGA was ever bought by Nintendo, the only new rep I could see Sonic getting would be Tails.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Sonic have as much as Mario? Thats ridiculous. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Rosalina (sorta) are diverse, iconic, and represent the Mario series perfectly fine. Who in their right mind would consider Amy or Knuckles an "icon of gaming"? If SEGA was ever bought by Nintendo, the only new rep I could see Sonic getting would be Tails.
It's not about the fame of the characters, it's about the fame of the FRANCHISE

Dairz

Smash Ace
It's not about the fame of the characters, it's about the fame of the FRANCHISE
I guess fame is what nabbed Star Fox 3 reps, huh? And Metroid must be really obscure, considering it has only 1 rep. Just because the Sonic series is famous doesn't mean the other characters from Sonic get a free pass into Smash.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Honestly, if Nintendo buys up SEGA, Sonic will have as much characters considering how famous the franchise is
Importance to Nintendo counts more. Like, part of Nintendo history. Only Sonic himself is really accounted for that. Wii Fit sells alot, so that's why she's in. Mario, Kirby, Pokemon, Zelda are the biggest Nintendo franchises.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Even if Nintendo buys Sega, Sonic won't get as much special treatment as Mario, or Pokemon, or Zelda.
Everyone seems to forget that Sega makes other games besides Sonic games.
Sega won't let themselves be bought by Nintendo.
You have a better argument just saying Nintendo would buy the Sonic franchise.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Importance to Nintendo counts more. Like, part of Nintendo history. Only Sonic himself is really accounted for that. Wii Fit sells alot, so that's why she's in. Mario, Kirby, Pokemon, Zelda are the biggest Nintendo franchises.
It's more about the FRANCHISE than it is about the CHARACTER

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Sonic franchise not as important to Nintendo history. And by that I mean Nintendo's own games.
You're not making any point at all. If Nintendo buys out SEGA, we will see as much Sonic characters as Mario characters due to the fame of the franchise. And "Not as important to Nintendo history" means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!!

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
You're not making any point at all. If Nintendo buys out SEGA, we will see as much Sonic characters as Mario characters due to the fame of the franchise. And "Not as important to Nintendo history" means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!!
You cannot compare Mario to Sonic. Mario is the fricken Mascot of Nintendo, Pokemon is 2nd best selling Nintendo series, Zelda 3rd. Maybe they can get 2 or 3, but as much as Mario series? What?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You cannot compare Mario to Sonic. Mario is the fricken Mascot of Nintendo, Pokemon is 2nd best selling Nintendo series, Zelda 3rd. Maybe they can get 2 or 3, but as much as Mario series? What?
Again, importance to Nintendo means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!!! Yes I can compare Sonic to Mario. They are both far more FAMOUS than Zelda and Pokemon! It is not importance to Nintendo that gets them more reps, it's FAME!!!!

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
You also have to take into account individual character importance, individual character uniqueness, and whether or not such a character would be a top priority for Sakurai to incorporate. For example, every Mario character has become a staple and/or fights with an interesting flair. The priority list completely depends on Sakurai's opinion, so neither you nor I can really comment on any level of importance.

As for this "Sonic being bought by Nintendo" rumor...it's a rumor. The two working together increasingly is business. I mean, it could be a possibility, but there's nothing official, so it's a completely hypothetical situation.

They are both far more FAMOUS than Zelda and Pokemon! It is not importance to Nintendo that gets them more reps, it's FAME!!!!
Zelda and especially Pokemon are definitely on the same level as Sonic and Mario. All four are staples of video gaming in their own right.

Also, both fame and importance to Nintendo are important factors, but not the only ones, and at different extents for different characters. Mr. Game & Watch got in solely based on his unique quirks and being the father of Nintendo's successful video gaming break. Marth was far from famous everywhere except Japan, with Ness being a much lesser extent. But because both Fire Emblem and Mother are classic Nintendo franchises, that fact was overlooked.

You can't deny that SSB is a game about Nintendo before it's a game about fame.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The last half dozen pages have been incredibly entertaining. 10/10.

I'll be honest; Tails would make my day far more than any other character. He was my first video game character ever. However I can't see it happening, and even despite my love for the two tailed fox(who would instantly share 'main' status with Yoshi for me), I don't think it's the right thing to do for Smash, especially at this point.

To think these kind of constant requests now happen just because Sakurai couldn't say no to his friend's request to include Snake in Smash.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Sonic has A LOT of characters, but if a second rep would be considered, it would be Tails.

But I don't see SEGA having a second rep and if by the small chance they do, it could be another franchise like Nights or something.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I don't see the addition of another Sonic character as impossible, it's just not likely at this point. Remember, Nintendo is highly likely to buy up SEGA, so I'm not getting my hopes down that easy. Sonic is just too famous to be in smash by himself.

Junahu

Smash Ace
While this probably seems pointless, I'm compelled to state that the 08/04/14 Nintendo Direct introduced nothing extra from the Sonic universe.
In a Direct featuring all kinds of Items, Stages, Assist Trophies, and even a mode filled with enemy cameos, not seeing anything new for Sonic is very concerning.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
While this probably seems pointless, I'm compelled to state that the 08/04/14 Nintendo Direct introduced nothing extra from the Sonic universe.
In a Direct featuring all kinds of Items, Stages, Assist Trophies, and even a mode filled with enemy cameos, not seeing anything new for Sonic is very concerning.
Actually, it's probably a good thing because Nobody from Sonic has been confirmed nor denied. We can definitely see Tails or Shadow coming in the future.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Actually, it's probably a good thing because Nobody from Sonic has been confirmed nor denied. We can definitely see Tails or Shadow coming in the future.
Not. Any. Time. Soon. [Wait, Shadow? Eggman first...or Knuckles, after them Amy...all those makes 6 reps. Yeah, Shadow ain't happening ever. Tails in another future game maybe, 3rd rep added in like, 7 or 8. Yeah, no. Sonic's never gonna get as much as Nintendo's freaking mascot in a Nintendo all stars fighting game.]

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Not. Any. Time. Soon. [Wait, Shadow? Eggman first...or Knuckles, after them Amy...all those makes 6 reps. Yeah, Shadow ain't happening ever. Tails in another future game maybe, 3rd rep added in like, 7 or 8. Yeah, no. Sonic's never gonna get as much as Nintendo's freaking mascot in a Nintendo all stars fighting game.]
They can if Nintendo buys up SEGA, which actually can happen.

Smady

Smash Master
It's got nothing to do with Pac-Man. I don't see Sonic getting a 2nd rep as a legitimate threat to any other third-parties anyway. It's simply that Nintendo gains more from Sega willingly making them exclusive games, than they'd get if they bought them out.

Nintendo has never bought out another big publisher in its 30+ years in the industry.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Ok, I've see bias from some people since I've joined. Out of respect I'm not tagging, but just hear me out

First off, people say that all Sonic is in Smash bros is a guest. Far from true. He is a guest to begin with, but a guest is not what he is limited to. Most unlike other third party characters such as MegaMan, Snake, or PacMan, Sonic has a great history with Nintendo, countless Sonic games have been made Nintendo Exclusive, and he and his friends have been in many crossovers with Mario, plus Nintendo has a very high chance of buying SEGA. If anything, Sonic is the LEAST of a guest out of the third party characters, and so saying deserves to bring AT LEAST ONE friend along.

And no, contrary to what Sakurai claims, Sonic was not put in by fan desire alone. Remember: Sakurai is famous for not telling the whole truth. If you want to have a valid knowledge about third party involvement in a crossover like Smash, you must research the topic from the third party company as well, not just Sakurai. I've done this millions of times before, and I've learned some pretty interesting facts about it. In an interview that GameInformer did with former SEGA chairman Yuji Naka, Sonic was originally planned to start Smash in Melee. Naka asked Sakurai to add Sonic, but he could not finish working on Sonic without delaying the game, so he was put off. When working on Brawl, Sakurai remembered Naka's request and went back to SEGA and asked them if they still wanted Sonic playable. They were very reluctant at first, so the only thing that fan desire did was make SEGA's new chairman realize that it would be a good idea. And now he's one of the first veterans announced. Sakurai must like him.

Smady

Smash Master
Most unlike other third party characters such as MegaMan, Snake, or PacMan, Sonic has a great history with Nintendo

MegaMan versus Sonic is more arguable, whereas Snake stemmed from unique bias on Sakurai's part.

Nintendo has a very high chance of buying SEGA.
Unless very high means zero, I disagree. Can you at least cite where you got this idea?

As for whether Sakurai likes Sonic or not, there is both no basis for an argument either way and nothing to suggest it will culminate in another Sonic character. I would imagine it is unlikely, but would not be unpopular to Sonic fans. There is overlap between Sonic and Nintendo fans, which'd be an argument I'd find more credible.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
What people just don't seem to understand is that Nintendo buying SEGA is a very real possibility.
http://venturebeat.com/2014/02/10/5-reasons-why-nintendo-should-buy-sega/
Neither of these provided sources are biased in any way, both make good points. And no, SEGA are not doing "Just Fine" because they have been losing countless employees over the years, more than what's usually expected, as pointed out in the video. Financial gain does not cover for losing that many workers.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
But in the end it'll still never happen, and so the thread can fade into oblivion

SonicMario

Smash Master
If Sega has been able to buy companies such as ATLUS and Platinum games (Bayonetta 2). I'm not sure that really means Nintendo is close to buying them. I think Sega's content with where it is now, one of Nintendo's strongest 3rd party supporters (A stark contrast from the Early 90s to boot) while still keeping ties with the other companies. There will be a time again where Sonic games come out on a Non-Nintendo console. There hasn't been one since Sonic Generations (The console version, I am aware of the 3DS one), but I'm sure Sega does not want to leave behind it's Sony and Microsoft fans forever.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
If Sega has been able to buy companies such as ATLUS and Platinum games (Bayonetta 2). I'm not sure that really means Nintendo is close to buying them. I think Sega's content with where it is now, one of Nintendo's strongest 3rd party supporters (A stark contrast from the Early 90s to boot) while still keeping ties with the other companies. There will be a time again where Sonic games come out on a Non-Nintendo console. There hasn't been one since Sonic Generations (The console version, I am aware of the 3DS one), but I'm sure Sega does not want to leave behind it's Sony and Microsoft fans forever.
Did you even view the sources I provided? They've been losing more employees than usual, and being financially stable does not cover that hole

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Dr eggman and Tails, the 2nd and 3rd most important characters in the franchise, sonic shouldn't be treated on the same lvl of mario so 3 reps would be fine assuming nintendo ever buys sega

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom