• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic: The Go-To N00b Character

InSaNiTy

Smash Cadet
Anyone think that because sonics look and playstyle newer players will flock to him and he will become overused and dubbed a noob character?

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Anyone think that because sonics look and playstyle newer players will flock to him and he will become overused and dubbed a noob character?
Actually, no. Sonic's playstyle makes it very difficult to score KOs. "Noob" players tend to flock to characters that exude raw power. Like Sheik or Marth from the last game, where they just had some amazingly powerful attacks, and no really bad attacks. I'd say the "noob" characters from Brawl are proabably going to be people like Pit, Diddy, and MetaKnight. Maybe Ike.

Disco Ninja Monkey

Smash Apprentice
Actually, no. Sonic's playstyle makes it very difficult to score KOs. "Noob" players tend to flock to characters that exude raw power. Like Sheik or Marth from the last game, where they just had some amazingly powerful attacks, and no really bad attacks. I'd say the "noob" characters from Brawl are proabably going to be people like Pit, Diddy, and MetaKnight. Maybe Ike.
What he said, except that everyone's going to flock to Marth.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Sonic is DEFINITELY one of the high-end characters. Playing him like Mario or even Fox will get you nowhere fast. At this point, I'd like you to look up themagicalkuja or IterimofZeal and read one of their ops. They explain Sonic better than I can.

But the meat of it is this: Sonic is all about high-risk recovery interference hanging out over the edge. Homing Attack and Spring Jump, as well as his wild aireals. And don't forget comboing. Noobs don't combo, they use their dash attacks and then charge up and Usmash and wait for you to drop on it.

It's rather ironic, though. Sonic's fanbase is massive, and there's probably a large camp of new players who are buying the game just for him. Odd, no? Maybe Sakurai was going for that 'Akuma' effect.

...'Akuma' effect...That sounds like some kind of kickass cologne.

...I'd buy it.

Raziken

Smash Cadet
Sonic is DEFINITELY one of the high-end characters. Playing him like Mario or even Fox will get you nowhere fast. At this point, I'd like you to look up themagicalkuja or IterimofZeal and read one of their ops. They explain Sonic better than I can.

But the meat of it is this: Sonic is all about high-risk recovery interference hanging out over the edge. Homing Attack and Spring Jump, as well as his wild aireals. And don't forget comboing. Noobs don't combo, they use their dash attacks and then charge up and Usmash and wait for you to drop on it.

It's rather ironic, though. Sonic's fanbase is massive, and there's probably a large camp of new players who are buying the game just for him. Odd, no? Maybe Sakurai was going for that 'Akuma' effect.
Exactly- Sonic has these nearly too perfect combos, but they are very hard to pull off. I'm a straight up Sonic player all the way, and for me, it wasn't the fan service that drew me to him, but the potential. Not only that but the difficulty of Sonic's game play was a nice challenge. Up smash has a minimal effect, so you can't really knock anyone off screen with it, Side Smash is laughable, down smash wont even Meteor. He's super hard to control with his Final Smash, and his abilities are limited by the stage (I.E. YOU WILL RUN OFF THE STAGE). Now I'm saying this with my own experience so take it with a grain of salt, but Sonic is a Combo dependent Character. Noobs will figure that out and take someone easier.

...I'd buy it.
Heck yeah, I'd hit that too...

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I think n00bs will try him out a ton, and then figure out that he's really hard to play as and go elsewhere. Like someone said, the n00b characters for this game are probably Pit, Metaknight, Ike, Marth, Sheik, Diddy, Falco, Wolf, Fox, and Lucario. I'm no psychic or anything, that just seems to me to be the characters that, if not that it's easier to be good with them, it's certainly easier to LOOK good as them. With many of the other characters, you really have to know what you're doing to even look like you know what you're doing. For most of the characters I've seen above, I've watched videos, and it takes a bit before you realize that the person sucks, because the character is flashy and they're able to get kills with a couple of good moves.

Jonkenden

Smash Cadet
Meta knight is as noob friendly as Sonic, in other words not very. Both characters have fast attacks, meta has the upper hand on speedy attacks. Sonic on the speedy movement, both lack killing power. Both need to play interuption games with their enemies to score kills early if they dont have access to FS.

Noobs as people put it, will likely flock to theese chars and then just as many will leave because they dislike their killing powers as in lack thereof

shortwanabelaker

Smash Journeyman
i think sonic will be the character of choice for people playing for the first time.. just cuz hes sonic. after seeing that hes hard to use, they will move on to other characters

redshift71388

Smash Apprentice
I say, who cares? If you want to play him because you like him, go ahead. If you want to be good with him, it will make no difference what everyone else thinks.

Spin Dashie

Smash Cadet
I think he means if N00bs "younger kids" are going to main as Sonic just because Sonic appeals more to them and to younger kids. Obviously once they find Sonic isnt a beginner character, they'll jump ship to... Ike or ZZS and spam her fsmash?

Sonic has always appealed to the younger people until recently a few years back starting from Sonic Adventure and up through Sonic the Hedgehog where he's appealed to teens.

So what im saying is "N00bs" will go for Sonic mainly for his name, Smashers will go for Sonic because they've been fans for years, had good games on the DC and GC, and for his moves. At least thats what im assuming.

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
Exactly- Sonic has these nearly too perfect combos, but they are very hard to pull off. I'm a straight up Sonic player all the way, and for me, it wasn't the fan service that drew me to him, but the potential. Not only that but the difficulty of Sonic's game play was a nice challenge. Up smash has a minimal effect, so you can't really knock anyone off screen with it, Side Smash is laughable, down smash wont even Meteor. He's super hard to control with his Final Smash, and his abilities are limited by the stage (I.E. YOU WILL RUN OFF THE STAGE). Now I'm saying this with my own experience so take it with a grain of salt, but Sonic is a Combo dependent Character. Noobs will figure that out and take someone easier.

Heck yeah, I'd hit that too...
Nearly too perfect combos? Are we playing the same game? Even Uthrow uair can just be airdodged outta, so you hafta predict and be ready to nail them with another grab, usmash, or whatever. You can SDI outta the uair, as well. Sonic is NOT a combo character, though he has some nice little tricks for small combos. He's about pressure and tech-chasing, and you WILL need to know every single match-up. I lost to Yoshi for about 5 straight rounds before I figured out how to get past the wall of boot. Peach was easy, just shield grab and she gets owned.

FS is really easy to control, and if you're running off the stage on accident, go play a scrub friendly character, seriously. Granted, I played Peach in SSBM, and because of FC combos, I have a lot of control with the control stick, but still, you shouldn't be running off the stage on accident. He's fast, but not that fast. =/

Scrubs will play him for the first month or two religiously, then see how much work he takes and drop him for someone easier. MK is going to be horribly overused, and you're going to see a lot of spamming of the b. During this period of time, my guide will be seeing updates, and I'll still be posting videos, but some of the better discoveries I make (and I've been making a bunch lately) will be reserved only for people that aren't just rabid fanboys, and actually intend to play competitively. It'll probably be exchanged via MSN/PMs, in all likelyhood.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still be helping the community, but I don't want to see some scrub spamming tactics that took me forever to come up with, and still lose, making Sonic look even worse than he does now.

EDIT: Zeal

FrostByte

Smash Lord

...I'd buy it.
Leaves Chicks on their knees... In a Flash.

Raziken

Smash Cadet
Nearly too perfect combos? Are we playing the same game? Even Uthrow uair can just be airdodged outta, so you hafta predict and be ready to nail them with another grab, usmash, or whatever. You can SDI outta the uair, as well. Sonic is NOT a combo character, though he has some nice little tricks for small combos. He's about pressure and tech-chasing, and you WILL need to know every single match-up. I lost to Yoshi for about 5 straight rounds before I figured out how to get past the wall of boot. Peach was easy, just shield grab and she gets owned.

FS is really easy to control, and if you're running off the stage on accident, go play a scrub friendly character, seriously. Granted, I played Peach in SSBM, and because of FC combos, I have a lot of control with the control stick, but still, you shouldn't be running off the stage on accident. He's fast, but not that fast. =/
I understand you completely, but you also must take into account that most newb players will be completely new to this game and will infact do all aformentioned tactics.

Giga Hand

Smash Journeyman
Actually, to play Sonic correctly, you need to be reckless and use his unmatched/able speed and his Spin Dash to do follow-ups. I don't have the game, so this is just a guess.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
^Another great way to lose.

Don't correct if you don't have the game. You'll be wrong, 99/100 times. I'd say 100/100, but, who knows? Maybe someone will say something so stupid it's smart.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
He's going to be one of the first people that new players use, because he is a major character on the roster. He is Sonic the Hedgehog, after all.

BUT Sonic is the hardest character to utilize thus far, or at least in the top three.

people will try him and lose horrible everytime or give up after a few tries.

You also have to think about it this way, people are used to the styles of the characters that were in previous installments. Its like playing mario from 64, they already have a jist of melee and brawl. No one has any idea of sonics moveset (well, yeah we have but we haven't figured out its properties yet), and how to control his crazy speed. Thats on top of getting used to the new physics.

Beside, the game hasn't even been out for 2 days, we can't even categorize anything yet. 78% of the people here JUST got the game, pro or not they are viable to the contribution of creating dynamics to this game so we should wait a little bit until we talk about this thing.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Regardless of how long the game's been out, people won't be able to just pick up Sonic and start winning, like they can with Pit or Lucas. =/

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
First time I played as Sonic was on the boss battle stage in SSE and I tried to play sonic like other standard characters. Didn't work out to well, so then I decided to ignore him.

Then I saw this topic and I wanted to see how hard it would be to "learn" Sonic. Spent roughly twenty minutes in training and I have to say I think I'm pretty decent with him.
I think if you can acknowledge that he is a different character and are willing to spend some time on him, you can use him pretty well.

Some noobs may not be capable of either of those things though... But I'm a practiced vet I suppose. Does anyone else wish to share how they learned the "art of Sonic" and how long it took them?

Absolute~Zero

Smash Rookie
Sonic...Not hard to use...in my case at least. we unlocked him in an odd way. like 45 matched or something and ive played him ever since. its a phycological thing. if i want to play good with sonic, il play good with sonic. my friend tried him and failed...blewd up(pun. no item). sonic is no "noob" character. he is for players who enjoy fast gameplay. noob characters would consist of Pit and Ike and marth and such.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
twenty minutes in training mode will not allow you to 'master the art of Sonic'. play him against real people, preferrably those who don't suck. zero, no offense, but if you can just win on a whim with him, then your friends don't know how to fight Sonic. also, Ike has a smaller learning curve, but isn't a noob character at all. a predictable Ike is a dead Ike. D:

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
twenty minutes in training mode will not allow you to 'master the art of Sonic'. play him against real people, preferrably those who don't suck. zero, no offense, but if you can just win on a whim with him, then your friends don't know how to fight Sonic. also, Ike has a smaller learning curve, but isn't a noob character at all. a predictable Ike is a dead Ike. D:
Here is what I said:
mcnichoj said:
...I have to say I think I'm pretty decent with him...
Decent =/= Master

Yes I have played against real people with Sonic, a varied group of people in four vs FFAs.
Nothing against you, but don't put words in my mouth and don't treat me like a five year old. Thanks.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Here is what I said:

Decent =/= Master

Yes I have played against real people with Sonic, a varied group of people in four vs FFAs.
Nothing against you, but don't put words in my mouth and don't treat me like a five year old. Thanks.
FFAs are hardly going to give you fair representation, or help you get better.

Also:

Does anyone else wish to share how they learned the "art of Sonic" and how long it took them?
Came across as you claiming to be proficient with a character. It was hardly me putting words in your mouth, as much as it was you allowing the wrong ones to come out.

Honestly, if you're getting offended by something small like that, then you may want to stick to GFAQs and 4 way FFAs. Might be more your thing.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
InterimOfZeal, you are a terrible Smash Brothers Player, I can tell right now.

As for Sonic the Hedgehog, I'd have to say that I love his speed.

I really enjoy keeping someone in the air by always running to where they're trying to land before they get there.

I haven't run off of the stage yet, either.

I love this character.

SSBB Josh

Smash Rookie
Florida. FC: 0387-8454-3270 I'm waiting to brawl!
I surprisingly rock with Sonic. Its was weird how i knew what to do with him (i knew all his moves lol) So far i have beaten all my friends with him and i have beaten everyone on this other forum i know online. his recovery is awesome and if you know how to use him you can k.o. people even though he doesnt have strong attacks. also his FS is easy (to me) i have tried both with smash balls and without smash balls and i have still won. it just came...naturally

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
LMFAO

Mechageo, you live in Utah? Ask your top players about me, they'll be more than happy to tell you I'm by no means terrible. Go ahead, check with them, and feel free to post exactly what they say about me right here, in this thread.

Hell, ask STHD what he thinks of me. We've only played one round on laggy-*** WiFi, but I think he can attest to the fact that I'm not a button masher.

Then again, I shouldn't be taking someone who's had 3 of the 7 threads they've started closed seriously, should I?

I will admit one thing: I'm a horrible person when it comes to dealing with n00bs. Scrubs, I'm okay with, newbies, I love. n00bs are my weakpoint, I tend to be a bit of a **** to them. Dunno why, just am.

EDIT: SSBB Josh, we should try playing sometime after I unlock everyone. Hopefully we can get some non-laggy matches, but, if nothing else, it'd be fun, amirite?

Mechageo

Smash Ace
LMFAO
Then again, I shouldn't be taking someone who's had 3 of the 7 threads they've started closed seriously, should I?
Right, because having threads closed is contagious.

Anyway, I sent you a PM about playing online, so talk to you there.

Rangles

Smash Rookie

...I'd buy it.
I've been reading these boards for a few months now and this is the first post that has inspired me to make a post.

I'd buy it too.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
lol my friend played the game yesterday for the first time...guess who he picked?? yea sonic. so he despite not even playing brawl yet (which is much slower than melee) he had a hard time controlling him, im sure he would get better if he practiced more but for people playing the game for the first time i doubt they'll like sonic.

Absolute~Zero

Smash Rookie
no character in the game sucks...name one character who does not have the potential to kill another and then tell me Radical dreamer o.o

Flash0Lightning

Smash Rookie
Sonic...Not hard to use...in my case at least. we unlocked him in an odd way. like 45 matched or something and ive played him ever since. its a phycological thing. if i want to play good with sonic, il play good with sonic. my friend tried him and failed...blewd up(pun. no item). sonic is no "noob" character. he is for players who enjoy fast gameplay. noob characters would consist of Pit and Ike and marth and such.
o.O I do some hwat agree with Zero. Well in the fact that if you wanna be good with a character you can be. I mean I played games where i been better with one character cause of a mental thing. But i do disagree with the noob state of this thread. I mean Sonic has alot of stalling moves from the ones I've faced..it takes some skill to be good with him.

Spawnblade

Smash Rookie
Some noobs may not be capable of either of those things though... But I'm a practiced vet I suppose. Does anyone else wish to share how they learned the "art of Sonic" and how long it took them?
Picked up the game opening morning at 8 am. Aside from beta testing AoC for a couple hours that day, I spent the rest of it with SSE and unlocking. Got sonic the next day... I've probably played about 30-40 hours since then of which involves me simply doing vs. matches against comps, as well as training with sonic. I'd prefer to play a character that people see as weak, despite having enormous potential. I know another poster here mentioned 'discoveries' with sonic.. and I know in my short time playing him I've found ways to utilize him myself... Though it's taken a rather methodical and practiced approach to try and get things hammered into my brain.

I find that the more i play sonic though, the better i get at him, and the worse I get with other characters. Probably because of the way that I play him (One of my favorite things being sonics versatility in how you might want to use him.) But since it is utterly different from other characters, it hurts to switch back.. So I probably simply won't switch back at this point.

Didn't get big into melee since I never bought a game cube (went to friends place the last few months before brawl to play it), but I'm hoping to get to a competitive level in Brawl. I think that with the mindest of trying to get good, you can't simply give up on a character unless its because you feel the playstyle doesn't suite you, not because of the difficulty.

Top Bottom