• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Yeah, but were more manageable. Having a kill throw isn't just about the throw. It's also about the peer pressure people feel at kill percents whenever they see a Sonic running towards them.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I don't think anyone is saying that Sonic isn't a top or high tier character. I agree completely about which match-ups are our disadvantage (I think Fox may have been even before, but there's no way now).

I still need more experience against Luigi and Rosaluma but I still feel like those are bad, or at least harder than most, for us. Especially now that they were left virtually unchanged and we lost, as Orochi said, our biggest fear factor. Sheik I'm still not convinced about either.

Sonic is still a threat… Just a far more reasonable threat, lol.

I could see Sonic actually beating Diddy now (if he didn't already), which is funny. The main thing he had against us were super early kills, but we also basically lost our super early kills, so who knows?

Top 5/10 is in our future still. There's no reason to be sweating such bullets.

:093:

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Sonic still is probably top 10 definitely. But i do think ZSS is gonna take top 3 easily due to sheik and diddy nerfs. And thanks to BSD getting nerfed we lost a very good approach option tool in the custom villager MU, zss MU and sheik MU.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Fox ****s on Sonic, even during pre-patch.
I hate Fox with a passion. Too many free hits. :applejack:

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Is it worth it changing c stick to attack so I can spin shot easier?
Depends on your preference. Some people weren't affected by it because they always used "A".

Myself, on the other hand, have had C-Stick down ingrained into my soul for 7+ years, so it looks like I'm making the switch to tilt...
Sonic still is probably top 10 definitely. But i do think ZSS is gonna take top 3 easily due to sheik and diddy nerfs. And thanks to BSD getting nerfed we lost a very good approach option tool in the custom villager MU, zss MU and sheik MU.
Hm, I can see this. I mean, I always thought Rosa and ZSS were better than Sonic to begin with, so…

Still waiting for people to get the **** over customs.
Fox beats us in neutral, KO set-ups and power, etc.
I think the only thing Sonic is better at is edeguarding, as Fox's edgeguard game is near nonexistant.

I'd say maybe our recovery is better, but his recovery is pretty damn good now too. Difference is we're better at edeguarding his recovery than he is ours.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
(Goes off crying)

All things considered, I haven't tried out Sonic ever since the update, too many papers I'm writing for college. I just hope they didn't make it so I'm gonna suck with him.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
What do you think about changing spin shot to z would it still work that way?
Map what to Z?
It's not my fault my skill is deteriorating, Cammy. I'm wrapping up my second year of college with a ton of essays I'm writing, plus Final Exams in a few weeks. That does not give me enough time to play Smash on a regular basis.
I'm graduatin', son.

Final projects, exams...
WORK
HOUSING
SOUL CRUSHING DEBT AND RESPONSIBLITY
LOSS OF ALL MOTIVATION TO CONTINUE LIFE

get@me

LightSpeed

Smash Rookie
Is it worth it mapping attack to c? Or should I try z or the d button? Could you try to learn that way and make an updated tutorial with the new control scheme when you aren't too busy? Maybe you could show the controller view? If you can't do it, someon else can.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Is it worth it mapping attack to c?
I think it's easier that way.
Or should I try z or the d button?
Mapping any of the other buttons doesn't matter beyond preference.

If you're not using C-Stick, you're still just pressing a button for either Jump or Attack... So if you don't like A, X, or Y, then yeah, go for it.
Could you try to learn that way and make an updated tutorial with the new control scheme when you aren't too busy? Maybe you could show the controller view? If you can't do it, someon else can.
you's a busta

i work so hard for y'all

I considered updating my Spinshot video but it's already got like 5k views and there's no way to reupload it. I'd have to update it with gross annotations. I'll probably have to.

I felt like a controller cam(alange) would be overkill for essentially two inputs, but it's been brought up before and noted.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Yeah, I agree to the ZSS, Fox and Yoshi MUs being bad for us now.

Ugh.
I think fox is worse then zss. Barring bs early kills from upb, sonic vs zss is probably even. She's the only character I've fought so far that can keep up with our mobility, neutral withwith

How is Yoshi bad for us? Feel like he's too floaty for his own good, its easy to get in on him. He doesn't have a kill setup or throw, and there's no way eggs zone us out. What's he got on us?

And not being able to cstick to spinshot is so horrible....I tried using A but I kept getting the crappy spinshot...what are you gonna do to conpensate @ Camalange Camalange

I don't wanna go to tilt stick because I like my smashes fast/years of smashing with the cstick/I'm using cstick to charge smashes as well

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
How is Yoshi bad for us? Feel like he's too floaty for his own good, its easy to get in on him. He doesn't have a kill setup or throw, and there's no way eggs zone us out. What's he got on us?
I don't wanna go to tilt stick because I like my smashes fast/years of smashing with the cstick/I'm using cstick to charge smashes as well
I always felt that Yoshi was hitboxes the character.

Stupid shield pressure, faster and safer than he should be... Even his recovery isn't as lolgimp as it used to be. KO power is endless on this character too. He doesn't need kill throws or set-ups when he literally has Fox's Usmash. He even grabs us out of spins easier than most. I need more practice with it, but I always found the match-up to be annoying. Not something I know enough about to say we lose, though.
And not being able to cstick to spinshot is so horrible....I tried using A but I kept getting the crappy spinshot...what are you gonna do to conpensate @ Camalange Camalange
I use C-Stick set to Tilt now.

I realize that the way I play Sonic, I never used C-Stick for smashes anyway... Always charge them.

H Y P N O S M A S H B R A W L B O Y S

I literally posted something similar a couple minutes ago so I'm trying to keep this fresh.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
I realize that the way I play Sonic, I never used C-Stick for smashes anyway... Always charge them.
I used the C-stick for pivoted f-smashes, but I'll adapt without that luxury. Just gotta get the "delayed pivot" timing down and I'll be back up to Sonic speed. I feel like Spinshot is more important anyway.

BrokenFiend

Smash Rookie
Wish I could get the timing for the Spinshot right. Practiced it for a bit yesterday, spinshot 10 out of 40 times, and gave up out of frustration..

Find it interesting that people are talking about switching the C-stick to tilts, cause that's what I've been practicing with for the past few days.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Is it me or did everyone on Eventhubs basically go like "LET'S DOWNVOTE SANIC ASAP!"?

Because his rank on there lowered by 10 (#5 -> #15), and I have a feeling that that's a pretty radical/hasty change. I knew his viability went down from the BThrow nerf, but dang.

Then again, the list/players probably needs some time to get some legit votes/playtime in because Mewtwo is within the top 10 on that list too atm o.o

It's more of an observation than it is a problem for me, though. I mainly struggle slightly more to get kills at the worst.

Last edited:

BrokenFiend

Smash Rookie
Because his rank on there lowered by 10 (#5 -> #15), and I have a feeling that that's a pretty radical/hasty change. I knew his viability went down from the BThrow nerf, but dang.
That's the kind of thing a main thrives off of. When people underestimate your character, or consider a nerf fatal to that character, making them laugh and approach you without caution, causing them to get destroyed while you tower over them. Backthrow may be have been nerfed, I'll still be able to dash -> upsmash them into oblivion.

Ah.. Talon, here we are again, just in a different form all together~

Btw, what is up with my signature only showing up occasionally? Weird..

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Is it me or did everyone on Eventhubs basically go like "LET'S DOWNVOTE SANIC ASAP!"?

That's a good thing imo... Sonic definitely is not nerfed as badly as people think, but now they will stop riding his **** and I think that's for the best. So sick of people thinking that Sonic was ever a top 3 character.
Then again, the list/players probably needs some time to get some legit votes/playtime in because Mewtwo is within the top 10 on that list too atm o.o
lol
m2 is bad
Btw, what is up with my signature only showing up occasionally? Weird..
Smashboards is programmed so that only your first post on each page shows your signature. Wasn't always like that, but it has been for a while now.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
That's the kind of thing a main thrives off of. When people underestimate your character, or consider a nerf fatal to that character, making them laugh and approach you without caution, causing them to get destroyed while you tower over them. Backthrow may be have been nerfed, I'll still be able to dash -> upsmash them into oblivion.
That's a good thing imo... Sonic definitely is not nerfed as badly as people think, but now they will stop riding his **** and I think that's for the best. So sick of people thinking that Sonic was ever a top 3 character.
Yeah, I easily agree with you guys there. I was somewhat surprised at the amount of attention this nerf removed from him, but the silence is greatly appreciated, now. The heavy underestimation is icing on the cake :4sonic:

Wait...there were people who thought Sonic was top three?

Also, Mewtwo surprisingly isn't as mortal an enemy to Sonic as I expected. The guy's incredibly floaty so it's pretty easy to just wreck all over. I mean, M2 can still make a joke out of Sonic if he gets read though, but it's been like 2 days since M2 released so you probably won't be seeing many great players of it for a while, assuming the Sonic in question had already got gud.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I'm graduatin', son.

Final projects, exams...
WORK
HOUSING
SOUL CRUSHING DEBT AND RESPONSIBLITY
LOSS OF ALL MOTIVATION TO CONTINUE LIFE

get@me

Hey! Gimme a break! I'm two years younger than you, and It's only my second year I'm closing up. Heck, I'm even going to college out of state next year.

But in all seriousness, does anyone here expect anything good from Sonic during E3? I sure don't, but it can happen.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, I easily agree with you guys there. I was somewhat surprised at the amount of attention this nerf removed from him, but the silence is greatly appreciated, now. The heavy underestimation is icing on the cake :4sonic:

Wait...there were people who thought Sonic was top three?
I appreciate it too. It was very tiresome, annoying, etc.

And yes. A lot of people did. Probably still do. Sickening, really.
Also, Mewtwo surprisingly isn't as mortal an enemy to Sonic as I expected. The guy's incredibly floaty so it's pretty easy to just wreck all over. I mean, M2 can still make a joke out of Sonic if he gets read though, but it's been like 2 days since M2 released so you probably won't be seeing many great players of it for a while, assuming the Sonic in question had already got gud.
Oh yeah, no, Sonic will body M2 imo.

He dies so early... Our mobility and everything else I think will be a hard time for him.

Stupidest thing is that both his Side-B and Down-B beats ours L O L so funny.
Hey! Gimme a break! I'm two years younger than you, and It's only my second year I'm closing up. Heck, I'm even going to college out of state next year.

But in all seriousness, does anyone here expect anything good from Sonic during E3? I sure don't, but it can happen.
I'm just bustin'.

I understand. We all have different situations. I don't get to do as much as I'd like with this game either rn because of it :/

I can't wait until the next console Sonic Team game... Please redeem us from Sonic Boom. Colors, Generations, and Lost World were all awesome.
Relax and listen to some Ice Cap Act 1:

:227:
Good choice.

Ice Cap Zone is excellent. Thank you based Michael Jackson.
I'm expecting the next Sonic Team title to be shown off.
lol read my mind.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
now all we gotta do is let it be known that BSBS need to be fixed. Though i'm hoping if we ever get another patch that they give Utilt less cooldown to go along with the nerf they gave it. This way we could possibly be able to combo off it. IF BSBS gets fixed in the future i feel this will open up a ton of KO opportunities that we lost due to not being able to go for the KO follow up before, especially since ASDR and ASCR act differently for setups. Though i have noticed that due to the nerf to utilt we can combo into fair if they get hit while airborne and DI away from us

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Yeah, gonna work on a "tutorial" vid for BSBS. Fun!

btw there's no such thing as an ASCR :sonic:

j/k

But seriously, it's redundant because ASC is the same thing as an "ASCR".

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Only reason we have ASDR is because ASD is technically the initial hop that still happens. It's separate from the roll.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
But after cooling down for a couple days i've come to terms with the nerfs we got somewhat. It's just frustrating because the way i see it is they are just now realizing that the way sonic is designed on a fundamental level is basically to annoy people(due to being classified as a hit and run character) and as a result everyone will complain about the character making it hard to really tell whether the character is truly the problem and not the players.

Not to mention taking his spin dash and splitting the moves functionality up between 2 separate special makes him even more confusing for people on the receiving end and thus they complain about that as well. I mean we never had to really deal with this in brawl due to the fact that our character was considered "bad" and thus people didn't care. I'm hoping sakurai and the dev team see the situation with sonic as a lesson to be learned for next time. I mean i enjoy his current toolkit but i feel like if he was able to do stuff similar to like CF and Fox that people wouldn't find him so annoying and if he had some other type of special whether it be or his side B or down B that he would be open to much more mix-ups.

Unless in a future update they alter his spin dashes even more to where we gain a completely different set of options out of the one over the other. That and i don't get why they added in the ability to jump around while "charging" spin dash when the move doesn't even actually charge? That and due to the damage nerf charging side B only nets us a cute 1% improvement making charging the move only good for speeding it up which is disheartening to say the least. Though a part of me when i had updated this patch and seen that BSBS was still in had tried to shield cancel ASC only to remember that "oh right they took that out so why would they add it back" :/

Last edited:

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Sakurai has gotten Link wrong four games in a row. I don't think he's going to fix down throw or BSBS.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Honestly, just #blessed that Mega Man was in the game so that cypher grabbing got fixed.

God knows he wouldn't have done anything about it if it only affected Sonic.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I won a 120 man customs legal tournament today all :4sonic: beating Boss 2x (:4luigi: in WF and :wario: in GF). I also beat a :4fox: named Gimpy who took me to game 3 (Our worst matchup!) and Average Joe's :4dk:. I didn't use customs to beat Boss. I used hammer spin dash to beat Average Joe's Kong Cyclone. I didn't drop a set.

What's a nerf?

:018:

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Rocking that Vegeta avatar well it looks like.
Vegeta describes my personality and competitive drive to a T. It's why I think most of the ones posting here are foolish to think :4sonic: is "nerfed".

If anything, the HA buff is significant enough to make me not care about a 20-30% bthrow nerf in the slightest.

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Vegeta describes my personality and competitive drive to a T. It's why I think most of the ones posting here are foolish to think :4sonic: is "nerfed".

If anything, the HA buff is significant enough to make me not care about a 20-30% bthrow nerf in the slightest.

Sonic's been tweaked, the speed of his spin dash when not fully charged is slower and and people seem to pop out of UAir easier at certain percentages. NOW! That being said? These changes haven't done much to slow him down it seems like. Even BThrow taking longer to kill just means I get more of a chance to prime myself to BAir them off stage.

Good going on your win regardless.

Top Bottom