• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I love getting a meteor with Sonic. Mainly because I can never get one on my own. I've only gotten a few of them in my Sm4sh career (if you can call it that, I've only joined a few Anther's Ladder tournies), but they're still awesome to get.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I get them pretty consecutively but I often curse when I just barely miss it. Could you imagine if Sonic's Dair was his stomp from Unleashed-Generations? It'd most likely be an SD even if you do get it off though XD

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I kinda want the fp collector's but at the same time i don't want half the stuff in the box.:applejack:

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
Good on you. Nothing feels quite as satisfying than getting a meteor with Sonic. For me anyway.
Agreed. meteors are just of so satisfying. One of my favorite things to do is knock an opponent off the stage follow him and homing attack them when they are far from the stage. Gets a good ko, that is if the homing attack doesn't miss.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Homing Attack off stage is far too risky for me to even attempt. I hope I'm not the only one who finds the homing attack kinda stupid in this game. How it somehow swerves at the end of following the opponent. Its very inaccurate for some reason. Maybe its just my bad luck.

Last edited:

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
Homing Attack off stage is far too risky for me to even attempt. I hope I'm not the only one who finds the homing attack kinda stupid in this game. How it somehow swerves at the end of following the opponent. Its very inaccurate for some reason. Maybe its just my bad luck.
I love the homing attack. It's a great way to get out of combos, and it's one of my go to KO moves when they are at a high percentage, my favorite is up throwing following them up top and homing attack them, gotten a lot of kills that way. BUT I have SD myself quiet a bit because I got a little to cocky when following them off stage.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I pretty much only use it when I'm in need of coming back to the stage without wanting to rely on the Spin Shot, sometimes people won't see it coming since I will rarely use it in a fight, nothing wrong with a little extra credit damage while recovering.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Now that I've been think about it, I honestly would really like a Sonic Adventure 1 or 2 remake. Especially since I haven't played 2 yet.

The Homing Attack isn't a bad move. much better than what it was in Brawl. But still could be better. Like i said, I wish that'd go straight at the opponent like in Generations etc instead of curving. Oh, and that Sonic did a trick if he landed a hit.

:135:

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416
Now that I've been think about it, I honestly would really like a Sonic Adventure 1 or 2 remake. Especially since I haven't played 2 yet.

The Homing Attack isn't a bad move. much better than what it was in Brawl. But still could be better. Like i said, I wish that'd go straight at the opponent like in Generations etc instead of curving. Oh, and that Sonic did a trick if he landed a hit.

PM Homing Attack in a nutshell. When the community represents the character more faithfully than Nintendo and Sega themselves.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Note to self: never use homing attack at the ledge. I have thrown away so many games doing that I can't even stress it. I use it for recovering and after I spin dash and my opponent shields or to style on my opponent.

I think that they don't know how to properly make it move in a straight line with the homing feature. Also it would curve at the opponent in adventure 2 sometimes.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94

I wasn't saying it was a bad move, its just a little stupid. I say its kinda stupid because I can't count how many times it did the curve and completely missed my opponent leaving me to get punished which I can't stand and I'd rather not risk using it off stage to attack my opponent because that puts me at risk of losing a stock or giving up a point, whatever the case may be.

If I use the homing attack too much and people see I might use it for a recovery option they'll dive off stage and lead it to the bottom, the homing attack will curve rather than actually going for where the opponent was. It'd be cool if the swerve worked so that if they tried something like that it would still follow after them. I try not to make my recovery options too predictable though, I'll randomly switch between Spin Shot, Up B, Homing Attack and so on. I like the homing attack but it can be better as you said. A lot better than curving off into nowhere lol.

Seeing a trick at the end would've been a nice touch. Hopefully it wouldn't be just for a flashy effect, Sakurai would probably have it so that the trick is basically end lag. It'd be godlike if we could homing attack like the game. Just Homing Attack->Homing Attack->Homing Attack->Homing Atack, no lag anywhere XD

That'd be unfair though lol.

Dat homin attack at the end doh, I'm pretty good with planning my homing attacks
Happy to see I'm not the only one who plays teams lol.

Last edited:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Ugh, the homing attack. As much as I love it I hate it as well. I just can't stand the intolerable end lag it has when it hits the stage after whiffing an opponent. According to Sonic 4, it should make us go faster, not slower!

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Sakurai logic.
Good point. Without Sakurai logic, Ridley would be playable, Ike would be fast since that's what he's actually known for (I know he was a placeholder, but by now he should at least give him a minor speed buff), Ganon would have his own moveset by now, and Sakurai wouldn't sound like a hypocrite in half of the things he's said.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I guess the dev team figured that since the homing attack was spammable in Brawl it was safer to add lag and usage limits along with a boost in power.
Really though, I would be okay with all that if he just didn't land so badly after whiffing it!

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
I don't understand why there's startup lag in the air. On the ground fine, but why the air? That's not how it worked in the games.
Simple. Sonic is using the White Gem from Sonic '06 (essentially makes the homing attack even slower, but can stall in mid air to theoretical aim your attack). How Custom B2 (called Stomp, but looks like a bounce attack) is so slow is beyond me tho.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Simple. Sonic is using the White Gem from Sonic '06 (essentially makes the homing attack even slower, but can stall in mid air to theoretical aim your attack). How Custom B2 (called Stomp, but looks like a bounce attack) is so slow is beyond me tho.
If anything in Smash was directly similar to the characters actual game counterparts I'm pretty sure Sonic would be unstoppable lol. Most people say Palutena would be god tier(Because she's a goddess, hardyharhar) but I've played Uprising and she doesn't seem to do much of anything.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I think that they don't know how to properly make it move in a straight line with the homing feature. Also it would curve at the opponent in adventure 2 sometimes.
Yeah, i know it curved in the adventure games. But at least it still hit then.

I wasn't saying it was a bad move, its just a little stupid. I say its kinda stupid because I can't count how many times it did the curve and completely missed my opponent leaving me to get punished which I can't stand and I'd rather risk using it off stage to attack my opponent because that puts me at risk of losing a stock or giving up a point, whatever the case may be.

If I use the homing attack too much and people see I might use it for a recovery option they'll dive off stage and lead it to the bottom, the homing attack will curve rather than actually going for where the opponent was. It'd be cool if the swerve worked so that if they tried something like that it would still follow after them. I try not to make my recovery options too predictable though, I'll randomly switch between Spin Shot, Up B, Homing Attack and so on. I like the homing attack but it can be better as you said. A lot better than curving off into nowhere lol.

Seeing a trick at the end would've been a nice touch. Hopefully it wouldn't be just for a flashy effect, Sakurai would probably have it so that the trick is basically end lag. It'd be godlike if we could homing attack like the game. Just Homing Attack->Homing Attack->Homing Attack->Homing Atack, no lag anywhere XD

That'd be unfair though lol.
Yeah, HA is a nice mix up option. A good way to use it I found is try to bait out an opponents attack, use HA to dodge or to wait until the move is over and then it's an instant punish.

Also, Fair -> HA seems to combo at times. Or even Uthrow -> HA. Yeah, in the end, HA may not be the best move, but it's still useful.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they made it so you could do HA -> HA. But make it so the it couldn't kill no matter what, didn't true combo at high percents etc. Though I cause it's still unfair.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Also, Fair -> HA seems to combo at times. Or even Uthrow -> HA. Yeah, in the end, HA may not be the best move, but it's still useful.

My favorite follow up out of a Uthrow is Nair. The second they're up in the air I get that quick double jump into a sweetspotted nair. At higher percents I gotta use the spring, sometimes I'm quick enough to catch them before they can really DI out the way, if they do I just chase them with a Fair, Nair or just bait the aerial dodge and Dair. I'll do Uthrow->HA by complete accident sometimes and just be like "Oh. That works too." lol.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hey Cammy, what's with your hatred against Miis? They did nothing wrong

:196:
I hate customs. Customs should be banned outright. Miis are a custom character. If everyone somehow agrees to them being limited, I don't really care, but I absolutely disagree with them having access to multiple movesets. Customs are banned, so custom characters are banned. There isn't a loophole for them. Don't call them "Mii Specials". That's semantics. At the end of the day, they are simply a create-a-character with custom moves. You don't see Soul Calibur having this problem.

Also, on a purely biased level, I think Miis are the lamest inclusion to the series. I felt it was inevitable that they would be added, and sure enough, everything I could've possibly expected to go wrong, did.

:)

:093:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Palutena has the same thing though. It'd be a double standard to not even allow the Standard 1111 Miis if Palutena is available.

Also eh, I like playing as the Mii Brawler. And I do plan on using Mii Gunner just for the Tails costume next month (Which isn't too far away ^^)

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
As long as the Miis are average size at all times I don't care if they let Miis use their customs. Otherwise just leave them exclusive to tournaments. Also Megaman has unique custom moves. If custom move tournaments are going to be a regular thing somewhere, I may pick him up (kinda like how M2K mainly uses Charizard in custom tournaments) because I LOVE the tornado hold.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Not really a fan of customs or Miis either.
Custom moves are fun in Smash Run, but otherwise they tend to be too gimmicky. On top of that is equipment, which is really only interesting in a mode or two. Fun to mess with, not to compete with.
As far as Miis are concerned, I don't think they were a necessary addition to the game. The only real reason to use a Mii fighter is so you can use your own Mii to fight in Smash, which can be neat I guess.
But I guess some tournaments allow Mii Brawler? I don't know.

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
I only like Miis for the fact I can play as Knuckles or Geno, but that's it. I understand why they aren't allowed Online, I wish they had a Mii online mode, but I get it. Knuckles was my Smash Ballot choice so I'm at least okay with him being a costume for me. It's just for fun anyway.

Also because we were talking about great up throw stuff, I do this all the time. It's soooooo fun.

Also my first gif of one of my fights, woot

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Palutena has the same thing though. It'd be a double standard to not even allow the Standard 1111 Miis if Palutena is available.
No, it isn't. Palutena has a true default set.

The Mii 1111 is not a true standard. It's an arbitrary standard we've set.
Also because we were talking about great up throw stuff, I do this all the time. It's soooooo fun.

Also my first gif of one of my fights, woot
lol, Blue always goes for the janky HAs like that and it's so bizarre to me. It works, but I just never do it myself. I don't think I trust it enough.

SonicMario

Smash Master
No, it isn't. Palutena has a true default set.

The Mii 1111 is not a true standard. It's an arbitrary standard we've set.
Even so, don't you think it alienates players who might actually want to use the Miis? I don't think absolutely everyone is so like-minded that Miis should be banned outright.

I know there'd be concern if a particularly opinionated player that thinks Miis should be allowed to choose their specials in a tournament that clearly restricted them with announced rules to 1111 or even the occasional 2222 or 3333 sets. (Though if the tournament did not mention this regarding Miis in the rules announced, then that's the Tournament organizer's fault for not making it clear) That may cause a ruckus. But the complete opposite opinion shouldn't restrict the Miis from being played entirely. That just seems unfair to those who decide to take their time with the character. There has to be dedicated Mii Fighter mains somewhere even if they're a vast minority.

Now the Miis aren't that good (Brawler's the best of them but it seems certain that it's not very high regardless) even if you're allowed to pick the Custom Moves (Cause seriously, none of their options suddenly elevate them to Brawl Meta Knight. They make them better sure, but not OP). But I'd think they should be an option like any other lower tier character.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I know what I said about how the Miis should be average sized at all times, but who here has actually fought a small and thin brawler? The small brawler isn't even the fastest character in the game, nowhere near. I think that the only reason they were banned in the first placed is because ZeRo, a Sheik and a former pre patch Diddy Kong main who mained Fox in both melee and PM and Meta Knight in Brawl, said that the small and thin Mii Brawler was "rediculous". Not only do I call bull about that considering who he mains and has mained in previous smash games, but he never even said why. Granted helicopter kick can be pretty stupid in terms of kill power, but it's not like it goes very high, nor can it drag the opponent across FD. I've faced a small brawler with the best moveset and it is not that annoying. So how can a novice like me find the small brawler not strong enough to be considered OP, but the best player in the world says the opposite? Well to be fair ZeRo does fight people who are on his level, but still.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I actually love the Miis, and they've been one of my most wanted newcomers since Brawl. Seems to be an unpopular sentiment. I definitely think they should have full access to all their moves, and even think it's worth experimenting with different Mii sizes in the future. One step at a time, though.

On another note, I have a Sonic gameplay question. Do you guys think it's worth going for Spin Dash > Bair for maximum damage output, or is it better to keep the Bair as fresh as possible for kills?

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
On another note, I have a Sonic gameplay question. Do you guys think it's worth going for Spin Dash > Bair for maximum damage output, or is it better to keep the Bair as fresh as possible for kills?
I don't see a lot of wrong with using max damage output. A lot of our kills will either be from smash attack reads or throws anyway, so as long as you don't use it too often, I don't see why not.

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011

I use it as a good damage output combo paired with Spin Dash. Obviously fair is easier to connect and you could get more out of your combos with either Nair or Fair, but I wouldn't save Bair for strictly kills personally, get as much damage as you can get any way you can

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Even so, don't you think it alienates players who might actually want to use the Miis? I don't think absolutely everyone is so like-minded that Miis should be banned outright.

I know there'd be concern if a particularly opinionated player that thinks Miis should be allowed to choose their specials in a tournament that clearly restricted them with announced rules to 1111 or even the occasional 2222 or 3333 sets. (Though if the tournament did not mention this regarding Miis in the rules announced, then that's the Tournament organizer's fault for not making it clear) That may cause a ruckus. But the complete opposite opinion shouldn't restrict the Miis from being played entirely. That just seems unfair to those who decide to take their time with the character. There has to be dedicated Mii Fighter mains somewhere even if they're a vast minority.

Now the Miis aren't that good (Brawler's the best of them but it seems certain that it's not very high regardless) even if you're allowed to pick the Custom Moves (Cause seriously, none of their options suddenly elevate them to Brawl Meta Knight. They make them better sure, but not OP). But I'd think they should be an option like any other lower tier character.
That's the risk of maining create-a-character.

You chose to main them.

What isn't fair is giving only a certain character customs in a non-customs format.

Customs are legal? Miis are legal with custom sets.
Customs are banned? Miis are banned or limited to a universally agreed set (preferably banned because the "default" set is arbitrary).

It's not that difficult.
I actually love the Miis, and they've been one of my most wanted newcomers since Brawl. Seems to be an unpopular sentiment. I definitely think they should have full access to all their moves, and even think it's worth experimenting with different Mii sizes in the future. One step at a time, though.
Why should they be allowed to break the rules?

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I'm in the boat that says Mii specials =/= custom moves. It doesn't have to be that black and white. I see Mii specials as being independent of custom moves due to the facts that you don't have to unlock them, Miis having no default moveset, etc.

Top Bottom