• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Have I ever told you that you remind me of @KirbyandSonicrock14?

:093:
No, who is he?

iundersoodthatmeme.png
???

Meeeeeeh. Colors was just right for me. Not too easy, not too difficult. I honestly don't know what it is about Colors that makes me like it so much. I enjoy Aquarium Park and the music is oh so soothing, especially the beginning of act 2. Kinda makes you wonder why Sonic drowns in any other situation. "Just do the thing you did in Colors, Sawnik." I said when drowning in Generations during Seaside Hill runs. Also Drill underwater, c'mon. Drill UNDERWATER. It was cool XD

Oh yeah, I have a question for anybody who knows the answer. In Sonic 06 its clear Elise liked Sonic but did Sonic have a romantic interest in Elise as well? I only ask because I'm honestly not sure if that was the case or not. Listening to the lyrics of Sweet Dreams shows their relationship and its obviously a love song lol. Maybe it's only referring to Elise and how she feels?
Oh, I'm not saying that Colours is bad. All I'm saying is why add that to the water level? The point of the levels is make it so you can't escape so easy and that you are in a panic not to drown. Though under water Drill was pretty cool.

Lets not talk about that.

It's not canon so it's better not to think about it.

But there was a Sonic 06 level in Generations. Doesn't that make the game some what canon?

:135:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
It's not canon so it's better not to think about it.

Didn't Blaze say she was familiar with Crisis City or something? Lol. I remember seeing that as I was spamming up on the analog stick by her. Possibly just a reference to the game in general since Generations is practically fan service. They couldn't give us any handheld stages on console? I know that sounds weird but we got music from handhelds so why not stages? Sure we got the 3DS for that but I don't see any harm in that, any stage over anything from Sonic 06 would be cool. Just having the music from 06 is enough. I'm also kinda confused as to why Silver knows Sonic, unless that's Silver from Rivals and the Rivals series is canon. Most people brush the handhelds as non canon for some reason. I often face palm when people say "Wait, Sonic Rush was canon?"

Oh, I'm not saying that Colours is bad. All I'm saying is why add that to the water level? The point of the levels is make it so you can't escape so easy and that you are in a panic not to drown. Though under water Drill was pretty cool.

Lets not talk about that.

I know, I probably should've made myself more clear. My bad for that. I was just saying that even if it was too easy it was still an enjoyable level, at least for me. Its one of my favorite stages in Sanic. Usually I have a problem with games being too easy but I was also saying Colors wasn't all too easy but I'm just realizing you were saying Aquarium Park was too easy and not the entire game, so yeah my fault but hey you learned something new about me. It'll be on the test.

The more we repress the more we remember.

Last edited:

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
I mean didn't the ending to Sonic 06 retcon everything in that game so none of it actually happened? I don't know I didn't beat that game lol

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Generations is a nostalgia bomb of head nods until your neck snaps off, so I don't really think it's a golden example of logic.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I know, I probably should've made myself more clear. My bad for that. I was just saying that even if it was too easy it was still an enjoyable level, at least for me. Its one of my favorite stages in Sanic. Usually I have a problem with games being too easy but I was also saying Colors wasn't all too easy but I'm just realizing you were saying Aquarium Park was too easy and not the entire game, so yeah my fault but hey you learned something new about me. It'll be on the test.

The more we repress the more we remember.
Yeah. Colours is still a very fun game and Aquarium Park is great, but it just was annoying that I could just jump out of the water to avoid death. I tell you what I hate more? That stage with the Purple Wisps. Dam, those stages were hard.

What's Sonic 06 again?

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Hi all! Mind if I jump in here too?

Sonic 06, or Sonic the Hedghog (2006), is an Xbox 360 game that was poorly received due to themany, many problems with the game. So far only Sonic Boom has had the ability to claim Sonic 06's crown of shame for having the most problems.
To be fair, Sonic 06 isn't...terrible, but it can be very hard to enjoy in some places. Personally, I enjoy walking not running through the loops in the game. Its hilarious.
Sonic 06's storyline had the entire events of the game erased at the end of the game due to storyline reasons. That's why all content of said game is considered non-canon (ergo, it doesn't affect anything to the continuing series), despite the fact that it still "happened" as a game.

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
Hi all! Mind if I jump in here too?

Sonic 06, or Sonic the Hedghog (2006), is an Xbox 360 game that was poorly received due to themany, many problems with the game. So far only Sonic Boom has had the ability to claim Sonic 06's crown of shame for having the most problems.
To be fair, Sonic 06 isn't...terrible, but it can be very hard to enjoy in some places. Personally, I enjoy walking not running through the loops in the game. Its hilarious.
Sonic 06's storyline had the entire events of the game erased at the end of the game due to storyline reasons. That's why all content of said game is considered non-canon (ergo, it doesn't affect anything to the continuing series), despite the fact that it still "happened" as a game.
Sonic 06 wouldn't have been terrible if they didn't rush the game out. All of its flaws stem from that

SonicMario

Smash Master
Sonic 06 wouldn't have been terrible if they didn't rush the game out. All of its flaws stem from that
i'm not so sure about this. There's problems with the game that obviously had to be planned a long time. Like the story. Being rushed mainly goes into the actual gameplay. But they still had at least the time to design the levels, the hubworld, character designs, etc. which... really weren't done that well in 06 and comes out as really, really, jarring.

I'm sure most could of just laughed off the story if the gameplay was good. But you still have the oddness of the direction they took the game which they explained of "What if Sonic was in the real world?". Say what some people say about Sonic Adventure 2 similarly taking things in a rather dark turn there was still some degree of lightheartedness that kept it from going too far, even in SA2 the humans weren't any more realistic then the ones in the first Sonic Adventure. But in 06 they made a conscious decision to make all humans, even Dr. Eggman to be more realistic in similarly realistic environments and it just clashes entirely with the cartoon characters we have in the Sonic series.

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
i'm not so sure about this. There's problems with the game that obviously had to be planned a long time. Like the story. Being rushed mainly goes into the actual gameplay. But they still had at least the time to design the levels, the hubworld, character designs, etc. which... really weren't done that well in 06 and comes out as really, really, jarring.

I'm sure most could of just laughed off the story if the gameplay was good. But you still have the oddness of the direction they took the game which they explained of "What if Sonic was in the real world?". Say what some people say about Sonic Adventure 2 similarly taking things in a rather dark turn there was still some degree of lightheartedness that kept it from going too far, even in SA2 the humans weren't any more realistic then the ones in the first Sonic Adventure. But in 06 they made a conscious decision to make all humans, even Dr. Eggman to be more realistic in similarly realistic environments and it just clashes entirely with the cartoon characters we have in the Sonic series.

That's true, but I don't think people would have been as critical with the story if the gameplay was as glaringly bad as it was. Those loading screen.... -_-

But I personally like the darker stories for Sonic, granted Sonic always needs that lighthearted side of things, considering he was designed for children. like I've said before, I grew up with Sonic SATAM and I got use to that storytelling, more intense stories with comedy Sprinkled in. I'm not a fan of the recent takes of Sonic, Colors and Unleashed were the better of the stories, but that humor is just "ugh." Like I get it, kids play the game, but God it's like watching a cartoon that has a very good plot but it was very poorly written. I'm recently playing Lost World again and all of the Deadly six are just caricatures of what they stand for (Yellow is fat so therefore he just does far and food jokes, ect) this is me being cynical of course (God I'm turning into an old man "Back in my day Sonic was about saving the world from Robotnik blah blah blah") but I digress, I'm just tired of the overly ridiculous humor.

Also I loved SA2 lol

Last edited:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Lost World was pretty dark to some degree. Eggman's character seemed completely out of it during the game considering what we've seen from him once Sonic Adventure 2 was over. His dialogue was dark, I mentioned it before when he threatened to burn the Zeti world and make the ones they love watch or how he was going to strangle them and eat their hearts. Eggman was just menacing most of the game, Tails seemed out of character too, he was kind of a douche and I didn't really like that about him in Lost World. Also not to mention Amy and Knuckles died in front of Sonic when he checked on her, resulting in him getting depressed and a lot sadder after Tails was taken.

Meeeh. The only dark story I like in Sonic was in the original adventure games, I think Sonic does well with a light hearted story, wasn't Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog their take on a more fleshed out and darker tone in story telling? I honestly could've done without Shadow the Hedgehog's story, it shouldn't have been canon. "Is Shadow a hero or villain? You decide, player! Until you reach the ending, then Shadow saves the world and becomes a hero." but that's a completely different rant I'll think about later lol. Unleashed kinda saw a mix of light heartedness and seriousness, it was probably the more perfect example of a good balance between them. The whole thing with Dark Gaia was really nice as well. I don't want to see another Sonic that's too simple, considering everything that Generations was the story was poorly done considering the potential. The final fight with Time Eater disappointed me too. Such a wasted opportunity to a near perfect Sonic game.

I can only guess what we're getting in the 25th anniversary. Or any of the future games to come that isn't Sonic Boom 2. I want my Sonic Rush 3.

Yeah. Colours is still a very fun game and Aquarium Park is great, but it just was annoying that I could just jump out of the water to avoid death. I tell you what I hate more? That stage with the Purple Wisps. Dam, those stages were hard.

I think that was Planet Wisp? I'm not too sure I can remember it clearly, there was also the Void Wisp which is a darker shade of purple but that was the 3DS version and I don't remember that one too well though I still have it. Asteroid Coaster was a pain in my as- side, I remember getting really annoyed with that stage. I only enjoyed the first half of Planet Wisp because how gorgeous the beginning was, the factory section ruined the stage for me afterward. Re-running it in Generations they only made it more beautiful, giving the player more time to run through the nature half. The factory section was still longer but it was nice having a larger portion to run through.

What's Sonic 06 again?

Sarcasm or not, LOOK AT IT!

I personally just consider Generations as not canon and that's my explanation for crisis city.
Well Sonic is still 15 from what we know so far. I don't know, probably? Strangely enough he was 16 in Sonic Jam. Guess that could've just been an oversight on the development teams part, wanting to change it before Adventure came out since Jam was just a prototype of Adventure.

Last edited:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Yes. Yes in all its entirety. Both 06 and Boom have been confirmed to be pushed out the door to quickly.

I also feel like the storyline of 06 was pretty meh. It needed some touchups for sure, but Storytelling seems to be a struggle for the Sonic series in general.
We've had some good stories, but recent entries' stories upset me a little. It bothers me when the hired writers admit openly that they didn't know anything about Sonic from the get-go.
What we end up with is a rough story that has a only few rare good laughs here and there. Generations was great and all, but the fact that the writers knew little of Sonic's history definitely affected the quality of the story and the amount of potential throw backs that occurred in the game.
I mean, Sonic whomps Perfect Chaos without emeralds and nobody makes a comment on that? Not even a tiny reference?!

SonicMario

Smash Master
That's true, but I don't think people would have been as critical with the story if the gameplay was as glaringly bad as it was. Those loading screen.... -_-

But I personally like the darker stories for Sonic, granted Sonic always needs that lighthearted side of things, considering he was designed for children. like I've said before, I grew up with Sonic SATAM and I got use to that storytelling, more intense stories with comedy Sprinkled in. I'm not a fan of the recent takes of Sonic, Colors and Unleashed were the better of the stories, but that humor is just "ugh." Like I get it, kids play the game, but God it's like watching a cartoon that has a very good plot but it was very poorly written. I'm recently playing Lost World again and all of the Deadly six are just caricatures of what they stand for (Yellow is fat so therefore he just does far and food jokes, ect) this is me being cynical of course (God I'm turning into an old man "Back in my day Sonic was about saving the world from Robotnik blah blah blah") but I digress, I'm just tired of the overly ridiculous humor.

Also I loved SA2 lol
Yeah there's also a part of the spectrum where on the complete other side of the spectrum where it's too lighthearted where the humor and/or dialouge gets rather cringeworthy. Although I kind of like Heroes, the way they directed that game in the cutscenes and dialogue was hard to watch. Like they tried having the whole game with cheesy lines like in the first Sonic Adventure but with none of the charm. What kind of response to Metal Sonic when he asks why he can't beat Sonic is "We're Sonic Heroes!" :S

It is funny though that after SA2 the next 3D game was Heroes, and then Shadow the Hedgehog. As if Sega completely flip-flopped their tone for the new Sonic games. As if they got criticism for the dark elements in the Adventure games so they made Heroes. And when they got flack for taking that lightheartedness too far they decided to make the next one completely dark (Or well what they thought was Dark but seems more like some accidental parody. Though I think the story of Shadow's development is that Sega noticed how popular games like Halo and other violent shooting games were at the time and thought it'd be a good idea to bring that into the Sonic series. Going even as far as putting in some swear words here and there in an attempt to be "edgy"

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
Generations was just an anniversary game and didn't feel like a complete experience for me. Like it was fun and the gameplay was great, but nothing really to go back to once you've finished it. It's strange it's most people's favorite sonic game but I thought it was good not great

Same with Lost World, like it just ends and there's nothing to do after you get all the chaos emeralds.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I think that was Planet Wisp? I'm not too sure I can remember it clearly, there was also the Void Wisp which is a darker shade of purple but that was the 3DS version and I don't remember that one too well though I still have it. Asteroid Coaster was a pain in my as- side, I remember getting really annoyed with that stage. I only enjoyed the first half of Planet Wisp because how gorgeous the beginning was, the factory section ruined the stage for me afterward. Re-running it in Generations they only made it more beautiful, giving the player more time to run through the nature half. The factory section was still longer but it was nice having a larger portion to run through.

Sarcasm or not, LOOK AT IT!
No, It was Asteroid Coaster, and just like you said, it was a pain in the **. Seriously, there were just so many moments where I'd just keep dying and it was just so unfair. Plus, the wisp there were impossible to control.
Planet wisp was actually pretty great imo, I had a lot of fun with it. though I really hate the Spike Wisp. The game could have done without it.

Oh yeah, that Sonic 06, now I reme-

oh no.

YWe've had some good stories, but recent entries' stories upset me a little. It bothers me when the hired writers admit openly that they didn't know anything about Sonic from the get-go.
Seriously?

SEGA/Sonic Team, why?

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Generations was just an anniversary game and didn't feel like a complete experience for me. Like it was fun and the gameplay was great, but nothing really to go back to once you've finished it. It's strange it's most people's favorite sonic game but I thought it was good not great

Same with Lost World, like it just ends and there's nothing to do after you get all the chaos emeralds.
I never brought Lost World because it looked like they were trying too hard to be Mario Galaxy. Added I heard there was a run button and then that just further made me say no.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'd be up for the guy who currently runs the Sonic social media write for a Sonic game or two. (I believe it's Aaron Webber) His jokes on the Sonic twitter and the Tumblr tags alone would make for some great self-aware Sonic humor. They already have a bit of self-awareness in Generations or Colors, but since they're from guys who aren't as familiar with Sonic's past they aren't exactly the best. (Except maybe for the Eggman PA announcements in Colors, those were really good)

(I'm not saying they should put meme humor in Sonic games as that might be reaching, but it'd be really fun if the guy at least got to write something for Knuckles or heck, why not Big the Cat even given alot of the jokes over on the twitter.)

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
People might not agree with me but: Sonic Battle history: Best Sonic history ever.

It was pretty funny, sometimes dark as hell, and was a joy to see how Emerl kept growing as a good robot. I found it really good. And Shadow wasn't out of character in this one.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
People might not agree with me but: Sonic Battle history: Best Sonic history ever.

It was pretty funny, sometimes dark as hell, and was a joy to see how Emerl kept growing as a good robot. I found it really good. And Shadow wasn't out of character in this one.
No i agree with you. I never found Gamma's death sad at all, but Emerl was done so well.

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
I'd be up for the guy who currently runs the Sonic social media write for a Sonic game or two. (I believe it's Aaron Webber) His jokes on the Sonic twitter and the Tumblr tags alone would make for some great self-aware Sonic humor. They already have a bit of self-awareness in Generations or Colors, but since they're from guys who aren't as familiar with Sonic's past they aren't exactly the best. (Except maybe for the Eggman PA announcements in Colors, those were really good)

(I'm not saying they should put meme humor in Sonic games as that might be reaching, but it'd be really fun if the guy at least got to write something for Knuckles or heck, why not Big the Cat even given alot of the jokes over on the twitter.)

The guy is funny but that's a heck no from me. Give me someone completely fresh, no one connected to Sonic currently

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Lost World was pretty dark to some degree. Eggman's character seemed completely out of it during the game considering what we've seen from him once Sonic Adventure 2 was over. His dialogue was dark, I mentioned it before when he threatened to burn the Zeti world and make the ones they love watch or how he was going to strangle them and eat their hearts. Eggman was just menacing most of the game, Tails seemed out of character too, he was kind of a douche and I didn't really like that about him in Lost World. Also not to mention Amy and Knuckles died in front of Sonic when he checked on her, resulting in him getting depressed and a lot sadder after Tails was taken.

Meeeh. The only dark story I like in Sonic was in the original adventure games, I think Sonic does well with a light hearted story, wasn't Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog their take on a more fleshed out and darker tone in story telling? I honestly could've done without Shadow the Hedgehog's story, it shouldn't have been canon. "Is Shadow a hero or villain? You decide, player! Until you reach the ending, then Shadow saves the world and becomes a hero." but that's a completely different rant I'll think about later lol. Unleashed kinda saw a mix of light heartedness and seriousness, it was probably the more perfect example of a good balance between them. The whole thing with Dark Gaia was really nice as well. I don't want to see another Sonic that's too simple, considering everything that Generations was the story was poorly done considering the potential. The final fight with Time Eater disappointed me too. Such a wasted opportunity to a near perfect Sonic game.

I can only guess what we're getting in the 25th anniversary. Or any of the future games to come that isn't Sonic Boom 2. I want my Sonic Rush 3.
On the topic of Eggman's character, he's definitely darkest in the comics if you ask me. He consistently does some pretty messed up stuff.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Never read the comics. I hear most people in the community despises them for some reason. I've seen some interesting images from them though, particularly Sonic Universe where Blaze and Shadow team up to fight Metal Sonic. A duo I wanted to see together for quite some time now.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Never read the comics. I hear most people in the community despises them for some reason. I've seen some interesting images from them though, particularly Sonic Universe where Blaze and Shadow team up to fight Metal Sonic. A duo I wanted to see together for quite some time now.
Really? I couldn't stop hearing people obssess over the comics. I heard it had a lot of interesting characters like Scourge.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Most places I turn say they hate it. I want to get into the comics honestly, it seems better for story telling than the games. Added I've always preferred Mobius over Earth, it seems to make a lot more since than Sonic being native to Earth with no real history behind how him and the others came to be. How they differ from the regular animals they save and so on.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Most places I turn say they hate it. I want to get into the comics honestly, it seems better for story telling than the games. Added I've always preferred Mobius over Earth, it seems to make a lot more since than Sonic being native to Earth with no real history behind how him and the others came to be. How they differ from the regular animals they save and so on.
I thought that Earth was only used as the location for the adventure games and unleashed. Technically you could say that 06 took place on Earth, too, but it just doesn't feel that earthy since that there are snowy mountains, deserts, and beaches that seem awfully close to each other.

SonicMario

Smash Master
There's so many different universes within Sonic is that it's really no wonder why the fanbase can be so divided.

Just counting the games you have the Classic games that were definitely fully on Mobius. Then you have the Adventure games that was the first to put the Sonic series in a human world. Sonic 06 as said before taking that to the highest extreme by making that realistic. Then Unleashed brings back the more cartoonish Humans (That are even alot more cartoonish then the Adventure humans were). While some games do try to have nods to continuity with some games it's hard to believe it when Sonic's universe seems to change on a dime rather quickly. This is probably why Mario never went for a big story in games other then the RPGs, so they can introduce a new power-up and/or place in the Mushroom Kingdom without it feeling out of place to those who played previous games. (Though that said some people can say they take it to the other extreme and make it too safe, especially with the New Super Mario Bros. games where the course order practically became a cliche. Grass-Desert-Water-Ice-Haunted-Sky-Lava) If you were particularly interested/invested in a certain Sonic universe, you get upset when the next Sonic game completely introduces something else entirely.

Then going into the Comics and Cartoons... oh boy... you have the Archie comics, as well as the Fleetway comic series that was made in the U.K. And Cartoons you have SatAM, Underground, Sonic X, and even now the Sonic Boom series. All aren't canon to the games (Even the Sonic Boom games don't take too much from the show other then some of the NPCs) and most have their own respective fanbases within the Sonic fanbase. It's entirely possible for there to be fans of either the Sonic Comic(/s) or Cartoons who barely touch the games because of how varied Sonic has been in the media for the past 25 years.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Ok, so the classics take place on Mobius? So Sonic 1, CD, 2, 3&Knuckles and the Episode 4 games take place there. We can possibly confirm that(?). Izuka said during a interview with Colors that "We have two different worlds for Sonic games – one is human, and one is set on the non-human side. Sonic Colors is set on the non-human side." He also says that the only human on this world is Eggman.

Does that mean Colors takes place in the same continuity of the originals and the originals doesn't place in the same timeline as some of the other games? Assuming this "non-human side" is Mobius? Generations takes place shortly after Colors since Eggman said he met Time Eater after his most recent setback which was clearly shown taking place right after Colors. So Generations and Lost World take place in the same world. Sonic Adventure 1, 2, Shadow the Hedgehog, 06 and Unleashed take place on the other world, which is human/Earth. So right now I'm currently seeing...

Continuity 1: Sonic 1, CD, Episode Metal, Sonic2, Sonic3&Knuckles, Sonic4(and all its numerical episodes to follow), Sonic Colors, Generations, Lost World.

Continuity 2: Adventure 1&2, Shadow the Hedgehog, 06 and Unleashed.

Also did anybody see FOW's tier list yet? Leading A tier is hype but I think that's a little too high Sanic. Not to discourage our boy but I'm just saying.

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Also did anybody see FOW's tier list yet? Leading A tier is hype but I think that's a little too high Sanic. Not to discourage our boy but I'm just saying.
No, I completely agree with you. Sonic is not top five in the game. Also, why does everyone say that Link is bottom tier? He has a combo throw and his punish game is almost as good as ZSS's. Sure his mobility sucks, but then again so does Luigi's, and Ness is pretty slow as well. Overall this tier list is pretty mediocre imo.

I think that people say Sonic is so high on the tier list is because they see us as perfect frame studs who never mess up anything. To be fair this can be applied to mains of any character, but Sonic seems to be one of the best examples of this. When the Pit MU boards were discussing the Sonic MU, all the Pit mains were saying how this had the potential to be Pit's worst matchup, but I was saying it was even because Pit had so many tools to counter a majority of Sonic's tricks and how we could catch Sonic's poor landing options. Then @Seagull Joe came in and said how much he hated the MU against Pit to the point where he said that it had the chance to be an advantage for Pit. My point is that when you main someone, you begin to figure out a character's most glaring weaknesses, whereas if you don't main a character that's considered top tier, you may think that character having little flaws to the point where he/she is a super powerful character that can't be stopped. I'm the same way with Fox and Mario.

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
On the topic of Eggman's character, he's definitely darkest in the comics if you ask me. He consistently does some pretty messed up stuff.
The crossover when he tries to kill Dr. Light still gives me chills. I want that Eggman in the games.

Spitfire16 Spitfire16 read the comics. Start from issue 47 or 48, that's when it takes a turn from very silly humor to more intense stories. Endgame is one of my favorite story arcs. Also Knuckles wasn't a complete idiot. Also the Worlds Collide Mega Man crossover is phenomenal imo.

Last edited:

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
The comics are good depending on where you start imo. I'd personally reccomend you just avoid most of the Ken Penders stuff and stick to Ian Flynn's comics. A good starting point would probably be issue #252 with the Genesis reboot for the 20th anniversary, that was really good.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I heard about this Ken Pender's guy. He got some real flack from a good majority of people. Didn't he get fired or something? I heard something like that I believe.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I've recently been reading through every single issue, beginning to current. Currently on issue #140.

Not sure who Ken Penders is, tho

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Am another one who wants to read the comics but have heard the hate as well. Are they good or should i avoid them?

Also, am I the only one who wouldn't mind if they had another go at Sonic 06?

Ok, so the classics take place on Mobius? So Sonic 1, CD, 2, 3&Knuckles and the Episode 4 games take place there. We can possibly confirm that(?). Izuka said during a interview with Colors that "We have two different worlds for Sonic games – one is human, and one is set on the non-human side. Sonic Colors is set on the non-human side." He also says that the only human on this world is Eggman.

Does that mean Colors takes place in the same continuity of the originals and the originals doesn't place in the same timeline as some of the other games? Assuming this "non-human side" is Mobius? Generations takes place shortly after Colors since Eggman said he met Time Eater after his most recent setback which was clearly shown taking place right after Colors. So Generations and Lost World take place in the same world. Sonic Adventure 1, 2, Shadow the Hedgehog, 06 and Unleashed take place on the other world, which is human/Earth. So right now I'm currently seeing...

Continuity 1: Sonic 1, CD, Episode Metal, Sonic2, Sonic3&Knuckles, Sonic4(and all its numerical episodes to follow), Sonic Colors, Generations, Lost World.

Continuity 2: Adventure 1&2, Shadow the Hedgehog, 06 and Unleashed.

I think that the tier list are less specific and more this is the group that the character is in. Also, why Roy and Link so low?

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
The comics are good depending on where you start imo. I'd personally reccomend you just avoid most of the Ken Penders stuff and stick to Ian Flynn's comics. A good starting point would probably be issue #252 with the Genesis reboot for the 20th anniversary, that was really good.
I like the early Ken Penders before he went bat s*** crazy. Issue 75 is still one of my favorites. I don't exactly remember when he went looney (I think it was during his Knuckles run) but I wouldn't count all his older stuff out.

He started ranting about how he invented Sonic and tried to sue Archie for stealing his characters blah blah blah, she he did create some great echidna characters, but he tried to claim the whole things as his creation. I say read them. I have collected most of the Sonic Archieves in my comic book collection, I've been reading these things since I was a kid and I don't want to see someone write off early work because I personally feel a lot of it is great.

But if you want to read current issues, start with Countdown to Chaos, it's essentially the New 52 and Marvel Now for Sonic comics

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Am another one who wants to read the comics but have heard the hate as well. Are they good or should i avoid them?

Also, am I the only one who wouldn't mind if they had another go at Sonic 06?

Um, I dunno. I did what I had to do with Sonic 06. You mean a complete remake of the original? Maybe. Patch up the story a little bit and fix the gameplay with say the modern stuff with the hedgehog engine? Sure. I wouldn't mind picking it up again. From what I remember, to be honest, when I first played Sonic 06 back 2006 I don't remember being as angry with the game as most were. I had VERY high expectations. I remember watching the Tokyo Gameshow trailer to the game over and over when it was on G4(You know, back when G4 was good? And XPlay was amazing? Good times), I was about 11 back then and I remember
when I finally had the game my heart was racing so fast and when I got home the opening cutscene got me even hyper. I was expecting Sonic to move as he did in the mach speed sections regularly, that's what I got from watching the trailer but what I got was less than that. I remember being very disappointed we couldn't go any faster than what we got by default.

I also remember nearly passing out from seeing Elise kiss Sonic. I don't know what I was feeling back then. I do remember on the edge of my bed going "No....no freaking way....what's happening? ....What's- OH MY GOD!" and then my face hit the bed and I laid there not moving lol. I don't think I hated Sonic 06. I didn't go around looking for glitches so I played the game by just going through and doing what I need to. I ran into a few glitches here and there, not too jarring but when they got in the way they got in the way. I remember loathing Silver though, to this day I still don't like Silver. I don't get how anybody could like him, he's just not likable. I also had an issue with jumping during the mach speed sections, not being able to control where I'm going as I jump? Are you serious? It caused me to die a few times and I got annoyed with that, especially when I lost all my lives and I had to start entire stages all over again.

It wasn't until after I finished 06 that I went around discovering much bigger glitches. Such as avoiding large chunks of stages using the throw gem Sonic has, don't remember the name, or that one where Sonic can infinitely jump and because Sonic wasn't programmed to lose meter(Oops!) you can just do everything for however long you wanted. I was more entertained than upset with playing around with the glitches, so maybe the innocence of youth has softened the blow of the game's infamous reputation? I even played around the multiplayer with my cousin whenever he came over.

I always jokingly said "When's the Sonic remake?" to some of my friends on Skype and some twitch streams, they just look at me like I'm crazy whenever I bring it up but maybe in my subconscious I'm being dead serious XD

Not sure how I feel about Sonic 06 as a whole at this point. If they did it they'd probably retcon it into canon if they make it good. "Oh, actually, now that we got out sh*t together, yeah, 06 is now canon."

I think that the tier list are less specific and more this is the group that the character is in. Also, why Roy and Link so low?

I dunno. I haven't checked into the reason why FOW placed some characters where they are, that's all on twitter. There were a few people on reddit who agreed, in the post, that Sonic is top 4-5 (lol) so he may have given reasons somewhere on twitter. I'm not sure why Link is so low, I feel he's slept on. One of my worst match-ups personally, but I'm not good against anyone who is projectile based. I hate having to waste time and find away around their walls. Mega Man and Link(Tink and all) in particular gets me rolling my eyes and sighing before a fight starts, luckily I play teams mainly but they still make me sigh.

Well, like I said, I for one think they're pretty awesome. If you or Spitfire16 Spitfire16 decide you want to check them out, they can all be found here http://en.sonicscanf.org/comics/sonic-the-hedgehog/ just in case this link got missed a while back.
You magnificent speed demon, you. I thought I would have to go out and hunt the comics down in store, I didn't know there were so many scans online. This has saved me a lot of time and I thank you for giving this up. Props to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom