• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sonic Says: Ultimate

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Well I played M2K in semi finals at the NorCal Apex qualifier today and I can 100% understand why people dislike Spin Dash. He did not really approach me at all. He would only hold Spin Dash and wait for me to approach, basically trying to bait a attack or time me out. It was....I just now understand their frustration. I use it for low percent combos, shield cancels, and tech roll pressure but the way I saw it used today just opened my eyes. From an opponent's perspective it comes out really quickly and gives you little time to counter attack if close. If you don't have a projectile then it can be bothersome to deal with as well.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Serious question, why does everybody on the other side of the matchup complain about spindash? I just...don't get it. I mean I know it's good but. I doubt I use more than one per stock, or sometimes even match to be honest, though I shield cancel it far too much and use it for spinshot. I just use spincharge over it most of the time, and ASC too much to troll. Or is it just that they don't know the difference?
I want some videos up. I know I suck. I just want to know why.

:093:
It's usually intermediate or lower-level players that can't handle it or don't know the difference.

High/Top level players can handle it with ease, making us use the move more selectively. If they don't know the difference, they at least know that usually the same method on their end stops both forms of the attack (ie: Meta Knight tornado in Brawl, Marth counter, etc.)

To be truthful they honestly just need to be more mindful of our attacks.

[EDIT]

Mew2King really is maining Sonic, isn't he? If he stays this way, it'll be weird to be playing/maining a high/top tier character.

Last edited:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I agree with scourge. The deal is it's really quick making it hard to react to. That's the spin dash. However spin dash clashes with a lot. Loses to macs jab

I think you could shield it then tilt a sonic.

Last edited:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
M2K played Sonic but he's really interested in just playing Rosa or Sheik. He'll most likely drop Sonic when the Wii U comes out, that's what all of his friends are saying and even he mentioned. I could beat his Rosaluma but Sonic I just kept SD'ing against in some form.

But yeah tilts and some multi jabs can knock him out of it. I usually tilt another Sonic out of it but I couldn't even approach because he would just go to the edge of the stage and side in Spin Dash... RIP my life.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
So the f-tilt will do it? Is that for spin charge and spin dash? I tried to forward smash one (bad Idea, missed the timing) and it just clashed.

You should have been patient with the spin dash. Waited it out. You took the bait. Im not sure I would have done any better honestly. Just saying.

I bet sheik takes a nerf to her f-throw. That is just bs. It combos to f-air from like 0%-80%. That is a little op. IMO.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Well, I missed a ****storm this weekend...
To this day I have yet to finish Sonic 3&K. Despite my love for the Sonic series I always get bored of 3&K roughly after Flying Battery for some reason. :v
... But I couldn't let this slide. I just... I... I can't. What? I... What?????
Sonic 3 & Knuckles master race.
^^^^6^^^^6^!!!

Just like... Objectively speaking... It's an amazing game. I just don't understand how anyone could play all the original Sonics and not see how Sonic 3 (&K) is the best. It just does everything better than every other installment. It's brilliant.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
No. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles. It's just the two games locked on. Had a bit of extra goodies for each game's levels, the hyper and super forms, and a complete ending. :applejack:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Oh, sweet. Never actually played that. should probably emulate it at some point.

So anyway guys, whats our solution to getting off the ledge? from what I've seen thus far we don't have particularly great options from there.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
That reminds me: I forgot to add our ledge attack to the moveset guide. It got nerfed too, since it seems to have lost a lot of its range and has increased recovery time.

Reverse SD to Bair doesn't seem to work quite as well as it used to but I think that's mainly due to the 3DS's controls. Anyways, hopefully we'll be able to incorporate Ledgeshooting more in SSB4..

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It works exactly the same. You can even auto cancel it on landing if you don't get punished immediately. Sideb is a better option because of it's speed, and springing over an edgeguard still exists.

Sonic is just as ****ed on the edge in this game as he was in Brawl, minus the ASCSC. :applejack:

BSP

Smash Legend
I remember playing S3&K back then.. oh man, that feeling when you first see the words: "NOW SONIC CAN BE HYPER SONIC".

I also remember not pressing any buttons when flying around in Doomsday Zone. I'd finished the game on hard mode without even knowing it.
Feeling when Sandopolis 2 clock hit 8:30 and I still hadn't found the boss
Feeling when I hit Lava Reef Act 2 for the first time
Feeling when I saw my first Super Emerald stage and was like "O_o; never going to get all of these"

S3&K just did everything right. Honestly, I wish I could play it again fresh. Definitely my favorite Sonic game overall.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Remember that feeling playing the entire game because everything is amazing

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Im considering trying to go to apex.

Im playing kirby shiek right now since my r button is broke, rending shield cancel spindashes impossible.

Was goign to play sonic on wii u. But if i go to apex, im going to not play sonic in smash 4 until after and train up extra hard to do well in brawl. And stick with kirby/shiek/rockman until February

If i start sonic now im going to still be in learning and adjusting mode, and im not going to play my best when i have to switch between brawl and smash 4.

If i go to apex

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm already getting used to S4nic so idk how I feel about entering Brawl again...

I should look into Apex. I may be able to do KTAR this weekend.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Why doesnt Brawl just go away? It's not a good game and the patch for it, aka smash 4 is out. There's no redeeming qualities of that game that make it worth playing still over Smash 4. I don't get it. Just gonna toss a few random things in here. Normal get up from ledge is super good on this game. It's hard to punish, so take advantage of using it. Was playing for glory and ran into a bad diddy kong, so I used the chance to try to learn what does and doesn't work against him. At one point, I read him recovering above ledge with side b, so i tried to go under it and usmash as an anti air. It got in like one hit at the apex of the attack and then it just morphed into him humping my face. That moves priority is insane.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Diddy Kong's side B has massive intangibility at the start.

For the record, I like brawl better than smash 4, but its not much fun to play it alone :/

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
I honestly just always got really, really REALLY bored playing through 3&K. By the time I got to Sandopolis I just wanted it to be over honestly, and by the time I go back to finish it I usually forget which version I used to play it (I have like 4 or 5 copies).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Why dont you just runaway and f smash the side b?

Also, brawl is a great game. Honestly, if it wasnt for brawl, no smash game would be as big as it is right now. Show some respect

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Why dont you just runaway and f smash the side b?

Also, brawl is a great game. Honestly, if it wasnt for brawl, no smash game would be as big as it is right now. Show some respect
Because I was testing to see what else would work. That would probably be the most obvious option. Also, Brawl was bad. All it did was make people cling onto Melee harder. The Melee scene was ready to move on. Now we're stuck with ******* bickering about which game is better. Also, tripping.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
nonsensical jibberish
huh what

Brawl will always hold a special place in my heart. First game I took competitively, first Smash to include Sonic, and it was overall a huge part of my life that still continues to impact me to this day. I do see Sm4sh as like, a reboot of sorts to my involvement with the community and Sonic boarders.

I love Brawl but... I'm ready to move forward with this game.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
wish i could go to KTAR but theres a Smash 4 Wii U tourney in MA that very same day, might be streamed, not sure (most likely will be streamed) I'll be sure to put on a show though.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
huh what

Brawl will always hold a special place in my heart. First game I took competitively, first Smash to include Sonic, and it was overall a huge part of my life that still continues to impact me to this day. I do see Sm4sh as like, a reboot of sorts to my involvement with the community and Sonic boarders.

I love Brawl but... I'm ready to move forward with this game.

I'm pretty much the same as this, except with ike instead of sonic.

I wish I had money to go to these tournies
You're from scotland i see. this might be of relevance to you
https://www.facebook.com/rushdown.edinburgh
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SmashUK

------

The new patch came out, has anyone discovered anything different about sonic? thus far he seems untouched.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
I made a patch thread GP

As for tournies im already in SmashUK lol. Im gonna be partaking in iSmashONE but I think I read you dropped.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Right, i dont really read the boards, i just have the social threads everywhere that I'm subbed to.

Yeah I had to drop out. Had to let someone else take 1st place for a change, after all...Plus, I had to go wrestle a show.

Also, Im checknig the thread now

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
M2K played Sonic but he's really interested in just playing Rosa or Sheik. He'll most likely drop Sonic when the Wii U comes out, that's what all of his friends are saying and even he mentioned. I could beat his Rosaluma but Sonic I just kept SD'ing against in some form.
Going back to this for a while, after Sheik got gutted in the recent patch and Rosalina is a lot less potent thanks to longer Luma respawn, I'm starting to wonder whether M2K will stick to Sonic after all.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I highly doubt it. From the way he plays Sonic people will figure him out and punish him accordingly. He's already getting upset with match ups from what my friends who live with him say. So he'll make a switch to Rosa I'm sure. Even though she isn't as amazing as she was previously she's still a force to be reckon with. But enough about him.

I will be going to Apex. Don't think I can force myself to play Super Smash Bros. MetaKnight Edition though. Will for sure be playing in singles and doubles for Smash 4.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
There's been that never disappearing notification of an update on the Smash screen but it doesn't actually tell you what changes are made.

Thanks Nintendo.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Well I went into training mode and I threw Pikachu at 120% from the ledge and it didn't make a spark nor kill him. And mind you I was at 120% as well. So I don't know. Also it sent them more upward than straight out. The trajectory is changed.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Well I went into training mode and I threw Pikachu at 120% from the ledge and it didn't make a spark nor kill him. And mind you I was at 120% as well. So I don't know. Also it sent them more upward than straight out. The trajectory is changed.
Training mode moves kills later than usual, and rage effect isn't in play there either so that might be why.

Still. I think you might be right, In the future I'll be testing everything before updating i think!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
plz spare bthrow

Apparently dash attack is unchanged so

Camalange