• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Impressions. Matches, FAQ/Guide - Updated with vids! (34+ matches)

regorris

Smash Apprentice
Regorris, the springboard spike loves Ness. You can use the springboard to eat his thunder, knock him beyond PK Thunder recovery distance, and just generally harass/gimp his recovery. It's one of the reasons I think Sonic may have an advantage against Ness.

Against Lucas, the prospects aren't so bright. He can deflect it with the thunder, and still have time to loop it around and recover. In general, his recovery is much harder to gimp, and I've been trying to find safe ways to ruin him off stage, but it's pretty tricky, especially given how much damage/knockback it can deal out. I'm working on it, but no breakthroughs as of yet.

The springboard is a falling hitbox, not really a projectile, so you can't rely on it bouncing off a wall and nailing them, or anything like that.
Zeal,

Thanks for the quick reply, I was also wondering about how the springboard interacts with Ness and Lucas if they themselves collide with it after launching themselves via PK thunder.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Awesome job Izzy :) Hope to play you soon in a Sonic ditto :D (Oh and your sig is awesome sorry I never said anything...)

But the springboard gimps are awesome. One thing I do tho and you might want to give it a try, use 2 homing attacks one after another when trying to gimp. It works to an extent because they try to D.I. the first but neglect the second. Just figured you might want to try it out. See you in NM some time soon hopefully :)

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Twin A wins so much for having Kyle as his avatar. He also fails for using my real name. Now scrubs are gonna think I'm the Sonic player Tony.

jkjk ya rite. We play completely different, and I'm 100000x sexier in real life. Srsly.

Sonic dittos are going to be weird. I'll probably lose them for a really really long time, since I haven't even fought one Sonic.

Magno, thanks a lot. Lucas doesn't have one set weak angle, just one that he's not claiming during a period of time. Ftilt and grab protect him on the ground (as does dsmash if he predicts a side-step approach), utilt and usmash protect him in the air, though usmash requires more prediction.

regorris, I'll see about it. I don't think it'll do anything aside from disappear, but you never know. I haven't tried hitting Lucas out of his recovery after it's started yet, so that might be something for me to try.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Not only did watching those videos frustrate me, but they made me less enthusiastic about playing as Sonic. That, and you have a nack for running into things quite a bit. :p

But in all seriousness, I hope that this changes direction quick, because from the looks of it, Sonic seems to be garbage, and it disturbs me.

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
Zeal here, on yet another friend's name:

You've only seen matches against some of the characters that fair well against Sonic, and if you're judging solely on win/loss, you're kinda stupid, as all those matches are friendlies, and I'm trying stuff out.

In conjunction, I've been playing Brawl for maybe two weeks now, and Sonic is a completely new character, so it's going to take a while for anything really good to show up in his game. Doesn't help that you haven't even played the game, and all the matches are from the first week of play. Sonic is about as much of a garbage character as you are a known and respected smasher. :p

But, in all seriousness, the game has been out for not even a month, and people are really jumping the gun waaaaaaaay too much.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace

You've only seen matches against some of the characters that fair well against Sonic, and if you're judging solely on win/loss, you're kinda stupid, as all those matches are friendlies, and I'm trying stuff out.

In conjunction, I've been playing Brawl for maybe two weeks now, and Sonic is a completely new character, so it's going to take a while for anything really good to show up in his game. Doesn't help that you haven't even played the game, and all the matches are from the first week of play. Sonic is about as much of a garbage character as you are a known and respected smasher. :p

But, in all seriousness, the game has been out for not even a month, and people are really jumping the gun waaaaaaaay too much.
Can we help it? We're Sonic fans! We're used to three sequels an hour!

Speaking of which, is that RPG out yet? /Lulz.

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
Zeal again:

lolololol RPG doesn't come out till later this year.

Tournament today, we'll probably tape. I haven't been doing so hot the past two days, but I'll try to get some good matches in to post for you guys.

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
Of what? Until this guide gets stickied, there's no point in adding Sonic vids aside from my own, unless you manage to find some really amazing Sonic matches. And if anyone links me to that Tony v Lee, or whoever was playing the crappy CF vid, I'll just ignore you. Same goes for Zijin v Cosmo, or any old Lucky/Yes! matches. Right now, and until this gets stickied, this is just a thread for my insights, and discussion with other players.

By the way, ordering me to do some searching and add vids for you or anyone else won't accomplish anything aside from pissing me off. At least Suna was polite about it. I didn't put his vids up because I don't know where to find his matches, and I'd have to watch them before posting them.

EDIT: Zeal, obviously.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose

Just from watching those matches, I could tell that Lucas, Dedede, and a few others had advantages, so I can see that. Also, please don't say I'm stupid for judging on wins/losses, especially since I wasn't doing so. I was judging moreso the simplicity (in this case, complexity) of Sonic's moves and how they affect his opponent.

I know I haven't played the game, but the videos really do speak for themselves. In all seriousness though, I should be more fair to those who already have the game (you lucky *******, you :p), so I apologize for anything I may have said to disturb you.

I may be jumping the gun, but perhaps for good reason. Lucas ate you alive in some of those matches, and Dedede just had to smack you once after you wailed on him for eternity and a half.

Honestly, seeing Sonic's playstyle scares me, but like I said, I'll give everyone more time, and once I get Brawl, I try other methods to see exactly how far we can push the blue blur along.

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for snapping, it's been a stressful weekend.

The D3 match-up got worse, D3 can midair outta the uthrow uair at zero. Mike just plays characters that do well against Sonic, so it looks bad for Sonic. Granted, you do have to make less mistakes than the opponent right now, but the same can be said of Melee's Fox vs Peach.

Tournament was cancelled, but we had friendlies, and I had an 8 round win streak before I had to pass. Also, Sonic is beastly good in teams.

EDIT: Zeal

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
Tournament was cancelled, but we had friendlies, and I had an 8 round win streak before I had to pass. Also, Sonic is beastly good in teams.
Ohh, now you've got us interested! Were the matches recorded?

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Yeah, I wouldn't have told you guys about the win streak if it wasn't recorded.

Ganon is REALLY weird to fight. I thought he countered Sonic BAD at first, but the more I play him, the more I realize that Ganon is just godly good at punishing predictability, and once you start approaching right, you can beat him pretty soundly.

ICs are going to be a BIG problem, Sonic users. Seriously. Though I managed to do 4 bairs in a row to Nana for an edgeguard. Didn't get to tape it. D:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I was hoping that would be the case...

Make's me really happy...

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
lolololololol, wtf?

How did I miss that amazing comment? XD

Lucas, D3, and ICs do well against Sonic. I think Ganon will end up getting easier as I play it more (I'll never lose again Mikezor, nope, nope). Erm... Lucario is odd, but totally beatable currently. I can't remember who else Mike likes. He keeps trying Yoshi, but I doubt anything good will come of that.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Admit to your loyal fans what it was that destroyed your reign of terror, Zeal!

Also, get better at aerial pivoting dair so you can just start linking dair to upB forever and I can have laughing fits.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
I can see Lucario's "higher % = higher damage" mechanic countering Sonic's "rack up damage and then dance around until they die (sort of)" approach. Or maybe you'd just have to play more defensively as his (Lucario's) damage increases.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
It could be a problem, but I dunno just yet. It's not like he gets stronger than Ike, or, likely even nearly as strong as Wario's uair. Same rules as always, don't get hit.

Though if he is at a high percent and you're on a fresh stock, you're likely to be in big trouble.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Zeal: Please mess around with jab cancelling with Sonic. See if he can jab jab shield cancel to f-tilt, d-tilt or any of his smashes.

This could greatly improve Sonic's game.

Also mess around with d-tilt and see if it can combo into anything.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
Interim... been watching some of your newer videos.

What happened to your pressure game man? You're playing FAR more conservatively than you were before. I understand people may catch wind of your tactics, but your waiting for THEM to make the first move! You gotta be aggressive sir!

tw1n

Smash Champion
You are picking up new tricks but losing your pressure game. mix the two up and then the real fun begins :D

P.S. Izzy, tell the CO crew about this http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142268 As of that everyone in the states look at this.

Big Brawl tourny. Hoping for over 100 people. Maybe I can hit you with your first Sonic ditto :D ...as of that mine too

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
He hasn't posted a single match from my win streak yet. Give it time, those were from earlier in the day.

EDIT: Also, I'm just trying stuff out. Wait for our next tournament to see super cereal Sonic.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Ha ha I know that one for sure. Sonic can literally be fighting and helping out his teammate at the same time. I love it. When I was playing doubles with golden glove (3D) we were destroying everyone

Adobo916

Smash Rookie
I don't know if I post it here but.
I discovered a tech you can do with sonic I call it "Reverse Spindash Technique" RST for short.
Basically you use side b in the air and aim the analog stick as far back as you can towards the ground and opposite direction. The result when you hit the ground you spin the opposite direction from the air dealing 2 hits in the spin, you can follow it up with a back air or forward air depending on where the opponent ends up.
I still haven't mastered it fully yet but it does work some what hard to pull off. You know you've done it right when sonic hits the ground spinning the opposite direction. Oh you can even air dodge from it as well landing in a nice waveland from the momentum.

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if I post it here but.
I discovered a tech you can do with sonic I call it "Reverse Spindash Technique" RST for short.
Basically you use side b in the air and aim the analog stick as far back as you can towards the ground and opposite direction. The result when you hit the ground you spin the opposite direction from the air dealing 2 hits in the spin, you can follow it up with a back air or forward air depending on where the opponent ends up.
I still haven't mastered it fully yet but it does work some what hard to pull off. You know you've done it right when sonic hits the ground spinning the opposite direction. Oh you can even air dodge from it as well landing in a nice waveland from the momentum.
Now, we're talking. We need to find a way to exploit this now. Good work if this proves to be true.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Alright guys, I lied to you. It was only a 7 round winning streak. The vids will be up soon, though. =D!

EDIT: Adobo, I'm trying what you said, and it's kinda interesting, but doesn't seem wholly practical. Any way you could get a video of it, so I can make sure I'm doing it right?

Btw, guys, I just noticed that with the side+b>fair, you do 26 damage if you do everything right. Seems that I'll be working the spindashes into my game more and more, as they look to be his best options for damage. That and they actually have pretty good priority. More on this as I figure it out.

Top Bottom