• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic General Discussion/Social thread

GabPR

Smash Lord
Guys what do you think about Sonic's position in the tier lists? Is he too high, too low or ok as he is? If so, what are your reasons for it?

Edit: Sorry for double post, I did not realize the first one was sent

Last edited:

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
You mean the Clash tournaments tier list? I wouldn't pay any attention to that thing. Very few people voted on it and it's way too soon in the meta game to expect an accurate rating.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
You mean the Clash tournaments tier list? I wouldn't pay any attention to that thing. Very few people voted on it and it's way too soon in the meta game to expect an accurate rating.
Yeah, Tier Lists are not very accurate to begin with in Project M. Even though there are bad MUs for every character (including Fox thanks to Sonic the Hedgehog. Take that, 20XX nerds! xD), it's designed in a way that virtually is doable. I'd pay more attention to MU lists than that garbage Tier List, even though I see :link: placed high.

:applejack:

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
I agree with a lot of the CT tier list, but for several characters, I feel that the voters just didn't understand enough about them or hadn't seen them played by good enough people.

GabPR

Smash Lord
I think its good to have a tier list based on the current develovement of characters and tournament results rather than wait a really long time for the game to be "finished" .

Player -0

Smash Hero
The next update should be in about a month or so, after all......

Dem Ike Climbers.

I almost feel Sonic should be going for carry-offs, similar to CF but Sonic can get a set up to it from an Up-Throw. It would help a lot for early kills.

Last edited:

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I don' think Sonic will be seeing any buffs/nerfs outside of cosmetic changes. The only match ups I find myself struggling with are the ones most characters are struggling with. Sonic's pretty balanced right now.

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
Sonic is pretty balanced. He just has bad MU's against characters who are not that balanced yet like MK.

JbrockPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JbrockPony
At times I feel sonic should at least get some clanking priority on the down-b.... but then well probably just end up in a situation like 2.6 sonic. I mainly just use JCG and down-b to nair or down air for quick kills/gimps. There is too much fun to be held with this character.

Last edited:

2fast

Smash Journeyman
Hey Sonic's! I don't post very much but I could use some help here. I went to Xanadu tuesday last week and fought DP (match is on VGBootCamps channel) and I lost. I have a pretty good handle of most MUs but I just want to clarify some things with Falco because even though we gimp the crap out of him, his on stage game with lasers is pretty tough to work with I found out. So in terms of priority's do any of Sonic's moves go through his dair reliably?? SHL > dair is a main falco approach option and I know his dair has really good priority, does our f-tilt or maybe f-air go through his d-air by any chance?? Or do I just have to respect the move?? Also if he d-airs my shield do I have enough time to pull out a grab or maybe possibly even a n-air before he has time to shine?? I wasn't sure so I didn't try punishing his d-air into my shield too much.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
So in terms of priority's do any of Sonic's moves go through his dair reliably?? SHL > dair is a main falco approach option and I know his dair has really good priority, does our f-tilt or maybe f-air go through his d-air by any chance?? Or do I just have to respect the move??
I'm pretty sure Dair beats everything. When he starts shield pressuring I find the best solution is to just get out and reposition. So roll.

Also if he d-airs my shield do I have enough time to pull out a grab or maybe possibly even a n-air before he has time to shine?? I wasn't sure so I didn't try punishing his d-air into my shield too much.
If the Falco times it perfectly you have no time (I'm pretty sure, I believe that's how it worked in Melee). Again you're better off trying to reposition.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Which is faster, run off the ledge and side B, so uou can grab the ledge with a moving hit box or WD FF to grab the ledge

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Which is faster, run off the ledge and side B, so uou can grab the ledge with a moving hit box or WD FF to grab the ledge
Depends on how far from the ledge you are. Though I believe in all circumstances a perfectly executed wavedash off stage to ledge grab is fastest, it's just much easier to be consistent with side-B.

Neptune Shiranui

Shadow Streak~
NNID
Darky_Shiranui
Hey Sonic's! I don't post very much but I could use some help here. I went to Xanadu tuesday last week and fought DP (match is on VGBootCamps channel) and I lost. I have a pretty good handle of most MUs but I just want to clarify some things with Falco because even though we gimp the crap out of him, his on stage game with lasers is pretty tough to work with I found out. So in terms of priority's do any of Sonic's moves go through his dair reliably?? SHL > dair is a main falco approach option and I know his dair has really good priority, does our f-tilt or maybe f-air go through his d-air by any chance?? Or do I just have to respect the move?? Also if he d-airs my shield do I have enough time to pull out a grab or maybe possibly even a n-air before he has time to shine?? I wasn't sure so I didn't try punishing his d-air into my shield too much.
Up-air can beat falco's dair. Bair is also a good move for approaching. As for his shield pressure it's possible to get the grab in or you can use the following options OOS: side-b, short-hop nair, short-hop fair, or Blast Attack.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Could there be a post about sonic's tech? I like sonic and all, but Since I just started playing him last night, I don't know about his tricks.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I don't recommend trying to beat out the dair, You should just respect the dair it's hard to really challenge. Approaching from above falco can be good since it's generally a weak spot for falco. Try spindash towards them jump, and when ur above them dair. Dair does pretty well for me. If falco dair shines correctly on your shield, u cant shield grab. So if they don't ff the dair, or don't L-cancel or both, U can shield grab but generally you shouldn't try to shieldgrab especially vs falco's who are good or can at least reliably dair shine on shield which good Falco's will do. Like said earlier, you should just roll usually so you can escape the pressure and reset the situation to neutral or something.

Hey guys I'm somewhat new to Project m sonic and I've been reading around and I'm curious. What's blast attack? And also are there any tips you can give me? I've been playing pretty intensely the last few days with some friends and im starting to get used to his movement, as well as solidifying my gameplay with him. But is there anything about sonic that might not be readily apparent I could learn? Any decent bnb's or finish set-ups? Any help is appreciated.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I'm somewhat new to Project m sonic and I've been reading around and I'm curious. What's blast attack? And also are there any tips you can give me? I've been playing pretty intensely the last few days with some friends and im starting to get used to his movement, as well as solidifying my gameplay with him. But is there anything about sonic that might not be readily apparent I could learn? Any decent bnb's or finish set-ups? Any help is appreciated.
Blast Attack is a homing attack that's cancelled early by pushing the A button (or Z or the C-Stick). It comes out faster than homing attack, but doesn't go as far. Also, it doesn't home in on targets. It has a set trajectory. As for BnB combos, mess around with Side-B more. You can jump cancel it after Sonic flashes white, which will let you follow up with a whole bunch of things like: an aerial, a Blast Attack, a jump cancelled grab, or a wavedash.

We really need to make a post with all this info and sticky it somewhere.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Yes. You can use X or Y too. It's all preference. JC grab won't always work out of Side-B though... you'll have to experiment.

Thanks for all the help guys so I've been hearing that i can jcg out of dash attack or cancel my dash attack into a grab was i just reading things wrong? I imagine maybe that you could grab specific characters at certain percents after dash attack.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
JC Grab after Dash attack!? This is news to me. I know you can USmash after Dash attack (which I believe is called the gattling combo), but I did not know that you could grab. Can someone else confirm?

Ariyo

Smash Apprentice
Confirmed. Curious to know if dash attack has enough shield stun to make this guaranteed on shields

GabPR

Smash Lord
If im not mistaken you dont even need to jump cancel, you can just grab inmedietly after inputting the dash attack. I think most characters can do this, exept that Sonic's hitboxes come out extremely early compared to the others, and so it permits you use it against shielding oponents, and even unshielding spacies at really low percents.

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
I was just playing around with it the other day actually. No jump cancel necessary, just quickly tap Z (or grab button) very soon after the DA. You can do it quickly enough to grab before hitting with the DA, or with good timing, hit with the DA into a grab at low percents or on shield. You might see the abbreviation DACG.
DACUS is Dash Attack Cancelled Up Smash and I don't think sonic's is very useful, but other characters like Ganon, Lucas and GnW slide pretty far while charging the Usmash.
The gatling combo is difficult, maybe only possible as GnW where the DA connects then you follow up with the Usmash, much like the DACG.

Not sure about frame data on DA shield stun or the startup of his grab (not sure which type of grab a DACG is)

Edit: Standing grab appears on Frame 6, Dash Grab on Frame 9

Last edited:

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I really need to learn the snake match up because his god dam tranqualizer while down bing its kind of hard not staying on ground

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
Snake is really good at keeping his opponents back, but it's not as good as it was in Brawl. This is one of those MUs that Sonic needs to pressure more than spacing and punishing. Snake doesn't have too many good quick reactions besides his Cypher. I haven't played a good Snake before but I do play him for fun a lot. So that's all I can give from that experience.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
The Mewtwo Sonic Match up is kind of weirder than other characters and you can't really edgeguard him and side b jab reset around 60% or so is pretty good because you cant edgeguard him but you can rack up damage quick so why not

Top Bottom