• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic General Discussion/Social thread

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
Some characters can pressure harder on Sonic than he can to them. Like MK for example, with MUs like those I prefer slightly bigger stage.

I like FD but I'm not sure if Sonic is best on that stage. I'm starting to like BF more cause I feel like he can pressure better with platforms and have more mobility options.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Has anyone really experimented with the possibilities of holding back right after air Side B? It helps to terminate the move early such that you can full hop and do it and terminate before you hit the ground (therefore not going into ground Side B). It seems rather unorthodox but there could be some mixup potential in there.

RyanEvi

Smash Cadet
NNID
RyanEvi
Some characters can pressure harder on Sonic than he can to them. Like MK for example, with MUs like those I prefer slightly bigger stage.

I like FD but I'm not sure if Sonic is best on that stage. I'm starting to like BF more cause I feel like he can pressure better with platforms and have more mobility options.
I actually prefer flat stages with sonic for most match ups, mainly heavyweights for that but for certain characters (falco ice climbers ect) platform stages are vital for me to win on. but then again im new to competitive scene for smash so that could just be me

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Am I the only one that plays sonic like Captain Falcon. Falcon relies heavily on his grab game in melee, I assume P:M as well. I feel Sonic has that same ability, Down throw, JC grab tech chasing. I dash dance and moonwalk grab, I use side B and down B way less than what I see others do. I'm basically saying grabbing is my main play style.

Oh yeah, is it possible to DACJC Grab? (dash attack cancel jump cancel grab)

It seems for me at the moment I can only get a DAC grab.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I've been calling Sonic a better Falcon since 2.5.
Nothing's happened to change that view. :applejack:

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Am I the only one that plays sonic like Captain Falcon. Falcon relies heavily on his grab game in melee, I assume P:M as well. I feel Sonic has that same ability, Down throw, JC grab tech chasing. I dash dance and moonwalk grab, I use side B and down B way less than what I see others do. I'm basically saying grabbing is my main play style.

Oh yeah, is it possible to DACJC Grab? (dash attack cancel jump cancel grab)

It seems for me at the moment I can only get a DAC grab.
I came to the same realization tonight. Blindingly fast, reckless, important grab game. Relies on quick aerials and some early gimps...

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
I grab a lot more than anything with Sonic. It depends on the MU though. I seems like all Sonic can do is grab punish with MUs like MK. (Not a fun MU...)

KiNGMONiR

Smash Cadet
This might simply need more practice from me, but are there any specific tip on spacing and landing grabs?

I dash dance a lot, often towards and away from the opponent for mixups. However, I can't space it properly and end up getting hit.

Same thing with grabs. I dash dance and go into a grab but fall short in the distance very often. :/

What are some good grab approaches? I need to get this right. Because of my weakness in spacing and grabbing, I've been relying on B moves a lot, which can only string so much damage at a time.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
This might simply need more practice from me, but are there any specific tip on spacing and landing grabs?

I dash dance a lot, often towards and away from the opponent for mixups. However, I can't space it properly and end up getting hit.

Same thing with grabs. I dash dance and go into a grab but fall short in the distance very often. :/

What are some good grab approaches? I need to get this right. Because of my weakness in spacing and grabbing, I've been relying on B moves a lot, which can only string so much damage at a time.
Are you jump canceling your grabs? That can make any grab much easier. As a terrible dash dancer myself, I like to mix up my approaches with Sonic. All of his B attacks provide hitstun that can lead into grabs, dash attack is nice at mid percents, and I personally like to dash at them, wavedash back, wait for their move, jump and use n-air or d-air, then grab on the get up.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
Brawl USmash was a particularly messy bit of hitboxes that worked similarly to Wario's now, except that on the edge you could end up with a semi-spike hitbox(Much like Roy's USmash(I mean it could happen anytime but the edge was where it was most useful), and it carried some invincibility frames, so you could time it right and end up with a brilliant anti-air option. Extensive backroom testing is one thing, but I'd argue you can still make a mistake even with months of deliberation. The point is you should always be open to the possibility that not everything is final just as much as we should. Give the move a second look, how often do players really SDI out of it? As much as Wario's? If you changed Sonic's USmash to the Brawl Utilt, would it not be more like Pit's USmash, or Meta Knights, which you've decided to keep in despite the ability to SDI out of? I dunno, having a move with comparably low power with some serious startup(18 frames? I dunno), only a slight disjoint... yeah look most characters can see the start up and get out of the way, or there is a far better option Sonic should be using. I appreciate a lot of what you guys do, but Usmash is a move that comes out with I tech error, like Ganon's old Utilt.

As for his ftilt, the common complaint was that it was as strong or stronger than Sheik's fair, which always brings up the same response from me: So? Sheik has reliable setups at nearly any percent that leads into her her deadly fair, Sonic's ftilt is slower than that, and is used to poke. If your opponent isn't recovering well, that's an issue on your opponent needing to improve, not a sign that Sonic needs to be nerfed. The old ftilt is most dangerous as an edgeguarding tool when your opponent fails to get the ledge or goes in for any reason - this puts Sonic's ftilt on par with - well, not on par but brings it more in line with something like Falco's FSmash.

Y'all want a Sonic that doesn't change drastically from edition to edition, which is cool and I respect that, but I'd rather like a Sonic that feels like all avenues were explored and this is the best case scenario for everyone. That means actually going back and testing and discussing earlier ideas and seeing if they work different now that everyone else has been changed and more global edits to the system have been made. Or give us a sign that you've already done so.

I appreciate everything you guys do. Project M is the most fun I've ever had in a Smash game, and I'm not doing this to improve mine or Nazo's or Wizzrobe's tournament placing, or make Sonic stronger for the sake of being stronger. You may argue that I'm only offering buffs and not other tweaks but I've gone over Sonic's moveset and found he's pretty much standard and average across the board with his moves, and I'm only arguing to bring the rest of him up to par with the rest of the cast.

If he doesn't see further changes, I likely won't be happy, but I'll deal with it. I mean, he's no 2.6 Sonic, so we've got that going for him, which is nice.
Brilliant.

Continuing on this, what direction is the PMBR heading with sonic? Everyone says he's a bait an punish character. He certainly has the bait, but where's the punish?

Neptune Shiranui

Shadow Streak~
NNID
Darky_Shiranui
Sonic has A LOT of punishes in his baits. You just gotta know when and how to approach. He also has a really solid grab game you can use for tech chases and the mashing of down-b can really trick your opponent's read.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
Sonic has A LOT of punishes in his baits. You just gotta know when and how to approach. He also has a really solid grab game you can use for tech chases and the mashing of down-b can really trick your opponent's read.
Sonic is my main in PM.

Awesome Punishes:
The Knee
Fox up smash
Shiek F-Air
Jiggs Rest

From what i have seen from the many many matches i have watched from Nazo, MapMark, Darkly (who btw gave me confidence to pick up sonic again in 2.6 so i thank you Darkly), Sol, and many others i have seen his game and to be honest i have seen the struggle.

Sonic's biggest asset is his maneuverability on stage, sonic's game play is an art form. He dances around opponents then hits them with a move they didn't see coming then just runs back out of reach. He doesn't do much damage per hit but it totals up.

Sonic mains NEED to be creative. If your opponent figures you out you've lost. I wouldn't mind this so much if i could just keep the pressure going a bit longer with every successful bait or read. It feels like i only get few weak hits in before its back to the neutral game. Sonic feels like he is missing something...

When i asked about which direction PMBR was going with sonic i wanted to know what they might do to buff sonic...assuming he needs it.
-add something to increase his versatility and or improve his maneuverability (Stylish sonic)
-increase his combo ability (Combo/pressure sonic)
-just a general killing or damage buff which should be very small (Tolerable sonic)

Last edited:

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I need to get a Wii U XD

That's a good suggestion though :D
I have both and tried out the Zelda DLC. I'll admit, they did a very good job of putting in Sonic in a Zelda environment. It's really fun, even the little area where Sonic can bop the Cuccos. They bopped me back. :( Another interesting mechanic in the Zelda DLC is the Heart System from Zelda where Sonic can only take a number of hits before dying. Plus, there are no stray hearts to pick up. There's even treasure chests for Sonic to get and does that trademark pose that Link does.

I really, really want to see the Hero's clothes as a Alt Costume for Sonic in Project M or even Smash 4. Get different Alt Costume colors like the Doc Mario and Hero of Time alts... PMBR, lend me your ears!

KiNGMONiR

Smash Cadet
Did anyone see Wizzy in CEO? Personally I couldn't be happier he's back to PM with Sonic again. His game was very technical, I enjoyed it a lot. Proper bait and punishes, nothing too flashy IMO.

Wizzrobe where you at? Tell us about the tournament! What do you think of Sonic in 3.02?

I think you would have beat Plup if it wasn't for that SD on Pokemon Stadium. The spindash under the stage is an all too familiar kind of SD :c.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Yaaaaaay, Sonic finally got an Alt. Costume option that doesn't blow.
Yeah, I never really was a fan of his SA2B Racer costume. I don't know about you, but I don't see Sonic using CAAAAAAAAAAAAAARSSSSSSS! :p There is the option of the Excalibur Sonic, but I'd think the Hero's Clothes Sonic is the better option.

1FD

Smash Ace
I thiiiiiiink there's a Skype Group for Sonic so I'll post this here...

I'm looking for someone to be a contact for the Skype Group for Sonic to add the the community info-hub of it.
Is anyone here active + in the skype group, and want to be listed as a Rep for the Skype Group for Sonic and would you be up for having your smashboards + skype + twitch/youtube/etc in the contact collection so anytime someone wants to join the Sonic skype group they'll know where to go?

Contact me about it somehow.
Also, my Skype is Extra Blue Pajamas

Thanks!

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Anybody else seen the new Death Battle with Luigi vs Tails? It got me hyped when I saw it. Now, I eagerly await for the victory of the prodigal son in the next battle.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Did anyone see Wizzy in CEO? Personally I couldn't be happier he's back to PM with Sonic again. His game was very technical, I enjoyed it a lot. Proper bait and punishes, nothing too flashy IMO.

Wizzrobe where you at? Tell us about the tournament! What do you think of Sonic in 3.02?

I think you would have beat Plup if it wasn't for that SD on Pokemon Stadium. The spindash under the stage is an all too familiar kind of SD :c.
Ya I'm here, The 0%-ish sd was horrible and cause I blinked, I really wish I would of won but i'm not mad that much because it could of gone either way honestly. I don't remember everything fully but I think I side B'd too low so i didn't grab the ledge or something and i didnt have a jump so i died.

Also, I have felt like MK is probably sonic's hardest MU for a while.

@ 1FD 1FD Add me to the group, Hallett940 is my name

Last edited:

1FD

Smash Ace
I'm not actually in the group, I'm just looking for someone who is, and someone who can be the contact for others to join the group (like yourself not being in it yet but hopefully soon)

I'll add you still though for when I can!
Edit Also if you want would you be up for being the rep/contact for it when you are in?

Last edited:

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
Ya I'm here, The 0%-ish sd was horrible and cause I blinked, I really wish I would of won but i'm not mad that much because it could of gone either way honestly. I don't remember everything fully but I think I side B'd too low so i didn't grab the ledge or something and i didnt have a jump so i died.

Also, I have felt like MK is probably sonic's hardest MU for a while.

@ 1FD 1FD Add me to the group, Hallett940 is my name
Yeah MK is no fun for me as well...

Tero.

Smash Champion
I'm thinking about picking Sonic up again.
Haven't played a single match since 2.5

Can somebody give me a short overview of side B/down B uses? any tricksies?

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
You can jump cancel side-B after Sonic flashes. You can no longer wavedash out of Down B, but you can initiate a skid stop by pressing L or R. Sonics Uair is ridiculous now, and it's one of his better kill moves. His Nair was nerfed in 2.6 but was buffed again in 3.0. His F tilt is lousy compared to its 2.5 version, but it still has its uses. Bair is a kill move, though a little tricky to land.

Last edited:

GabPR

Smash Lord
Other thing to keep in mind is that you can jump cancel grab out of side-b after the flash and you can also use it to grab the ledge quickly by going off stage then pressing side b towards the ledge.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Other thing to keep in mind is that you can jump cancel grab out of side-b after the flash and you can also use it to grab the ledge quickly by going off stage then pressing side b towards the ledge.
You have to keep the B Button pressed until you grab the ledge and immediately do it right after leaving the stage.

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why they won't just give Sonic instant Bairs similar to the Spacies, Sheik's, Ikes etc.

Does his Bair really need that much start up?

Last edited:

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
It would be nice, but I don't think Sonic needs a move like that. He's got a solid toolset right now IMO. Also, Bair hits a lot harder than any of those moves, and I think it'd turn out to be a little OP combined with Sonics maneuverability.

Top Bottom